Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:39 AM

Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians (2068 Views)

What Is That Thing That Naija Men Do That Turns You Off Completely? / 3 Secret Reasons Men Eventually Leave ‘good’ Women / 8 Signs That Show A Guy Will Eventually Become An Irresponsible Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by OgaMadam(f): 9:50pm On Jan 02, 2007
People hit me wit your opinions.

I just broke up with my naija bobo.  (I'm not nigerian).  But our relationship had so many insecurities because everybody kept telling me "is he nigerian! leave him".   They said that these men always married their own from their village - in the end.

Needless to say i kept up with my baby.  And wow!  It was great until we broke up.

Ok but seriously if i date a naija bobo is there reason that i fear that he will revert to his IGBO route.
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by BlackMamba(m): 3:51am On Jan 03, 2007
OgaMadam:

Ok but seriously if i date a naija bobo is there reason that i fear that he will revert to his IGBO route.

NO, if you're young smart and an upwardly mobile college grad, preferably an attorney or a doctor from a stable family.
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by ima1(f): 3:56am On Jan 03, 2007
Not necessarily, my mom is an american and my dad is a nigerian.

i think it all has to do with culture and the guy's parents, most men believe they have to be with someone who has the same culture with them, but then again thats their choice.
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by OgaMadam(f): 4:04am On Jan 03, 2007
Ok,

anyways, does that whole thing of matching people to their religion/education/depth of pocket thing still count?

If im young wealthy, and educated this is all assuming that my counterpart has to be all 3 too right?

or is wrong?

Madam
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by iice(f): 5:38am On Jan 03, 2007
Nah they don't eventually marry only Nigerians but its sometimes a long tough road going to that level. I know many mixed couples be it different tribes, different nationalities, different races, but sometimes there just has to be some sort of 'clicking', Sometimes, its just endurance, perseverance and love.
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by ThoniaSlim(f): 12:42am On Jan 04, 2007
not all do so.
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by jaybaby(f): 12:55am On Jan 04, 2007
Yep they do even when they marry abroad--they still come home 2 marry a Nigerian
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by okwanuzo3(f): 11:11pm On Jan 17, 2007
OgaMadam:

People hit me wit your opinions.
I just broke up with my naija bobo.  (I'm not nigerian).  But our relationship had so many insecurities because everybody kept telling me "is he nigerian! leave him".   They said that these men always married their own from their village - in the end.
Needless to say i kept up with my baby.  And wow!  It was great until we broke up.
I'm not quite convinced you are not nigerian. Not with expressions like "bobo", why didn't you just ask the question without pretending, you'd still get replies.
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by iice(f): 3:06am On Jan 18, 2007
You know sometimes some non-naijan sound like naijans because of the influences of naija. I have friends like that people who have never been to naija but speak pidgin, can cook naija food, some even know a few other words in some naija languages. wink
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by jaybaby(f): 3:51am On Jan 18, 2007
Hmmmm I tot OGA-M said she's from Nigeria---Which 1 come b diz 1 again? shocked shocked
OgaMadam:

I just broke up with my naija bobo. (I'm not nigerian).

OGA--Madamu na waoh ooooooooo
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by marlet01(m): 8:59am On Jan 18, 2007
jaybaby na wa oh!
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by okwanuzo3(f): 4:21pm On Jan 18, 2007
iice:

You know sometimes some non-naijan sound like naijans because of the influences of naija. I have friends like that people who have never been to naija but speak pidgin, can cook naija food, some even know a few other words in some naija languages. wink
definitely, but someone who's name is "oga madam" and calls her boyfreind "bobo"!! a bit too much to take in, even the choice of words is SO nigerian.  If she was born in nigeria, that'll make more sense
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jan 18, 2007
Anywhere.Nigerians are thinkers!thumbs up guys!!Good analytical thinking!!!
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by jaybaby(f): 6:59pm On Jan 18, 2007
Marlet wetim SHE do ooooooooooooooo shocked shocked
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by 4Play(m): 7:05pm On Jan 18, 2007
I am not a Nigerian myself despite the fact that my name is Emeka

It is actually an Armenian name,so OgaMADAM from Zamunda might still not be a Nigerian despite using Nigerian names

She might actually be from Zamunda
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by ikamefa(f): 7:10pm On Jan 18, 2007
4 Play:

It is actually an Armenian name,so OgaMADAM from Zamunda might still not be a Nigerian despite using Nigerian names

LMAO! NLander na wah for una
yes oh we plenty wey no be 9jerians ika6 is klingonian grin grin
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by 4Play(m): 7:16pm On Jan 18, 2007
Are u saying there is no place like Zamunda?
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by ikamefa(f): 7:50pm On Jan 18, 2007
4 Play:

Are u saying there is no place like Zamunda?

grin who me? tongue i know nurrrrrrrrrrrrrrthing all i know is am from klingonia cheesy
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 18, 2007
no ohhhhhhh, if they dont marry ashewo, then go marry akata
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by iice(f): 9:31pm On Jan 18, 2007
okwanuzo3:

definitely, but someone who's name is "oga madam" and calls her boyfreind "bobo"!! a bit too much to take in, even the choice of words is SO nigerian. If she was born in nigeria, that'll make more sense

Gotcha wink
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by Eurphoria(f): 9:34pm On Jan 18, 2007
NL grin

hmmmm.
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by papaD1(m): 10:25pm On Jan 18, 2007
na simple question OGA MADAM asked but guyz no want take the woman serious, WHY?well my aswer is, no be all naija men dey like that if u are good and well behaved ,the way then dey with there naija women the same way then dey with foreigner even worse with there naija ladies, asked the ladies then go talk.but not all. sad
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by Eurphoria(f): 1:03am On Jan 19, 2007
huh
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by okwanuzo3(f): 1:52am On Jan 19, 2007
4 Play:

@4 Play, ogamadam is a nigerian expression not a name, oga means master in yoruba. FYI, Zamunda is a fictional place, that's where eddie murphy- playing prince Hakeem in coming to america, was from.
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by OgaMadam(f): 7:21am On Jan 22, 2007
MADAM IS BACK IN THE HOUSE YALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was away for a while only to come back to this!  Thanx everybody for all yall comments.  you made me laugh.  Jaybaby WETIN BE DIS?  You know a woman must follow the leading and the culture of her man abi?  Thats how i was raised.  Wherever he is from, i go follow, its just that nigerian men are so damn strong and have a lot of drive, thats attractive to me.  You made me laugh girl.

Whether its on the board or real life, im always mistakened for a naijan.  When all my naija friends go teach me igbo and pidgen they always tell me to "trace my origins" because i must definitiley be apparently igbo.  They say i look igbo too.

Its not that i want to, i just feel at home with nigerians in ways i don't feel with other cultures i mingle with around here.

With nigerians when you arrive in their place the first thing they ask is "Have you eaten?"  Ofcourse theyd give you egusi soup, and all that, and for me, with my ex boyfriend, i geuss i just felt a sense of home that had nothing to do with his culture or country.  It was something innate, but still we lost that.  So im asking out of curiosity o.

No i am not Nigerian.   And Okwanuzo3 youve really hit it on the head.  Zamunda is absolutely fictional.  I don't come from there O.

I call myself OGAMADAM because i just dig the idea of spoiled, fat african mamas, wearing shiny goldy outfits, and eating out of gold plates.  I like the idea that a man, will lay all down when serious to treat his MADAM well.  No be so?  And my bobo buying me jeeps and stuff. 

Not that i don't see holes in the culture yall, i still see some messy stuff like infidelity, the abnormally strong love of money, untasteful abilities to lie.   But what culture doesnt have problems

BIG UP NIGERIA!!!

peace, im out.
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by Bossman(m): 8:02pm On Jan 22, 2007
Not at all. Not all Nigerians believe they must marry a Niger or go home to do so. People used to think the a Niger to Niger marriage is the only one that will work, the very high divorce rate (I read that is about 50%) among Nigerian couples abroad, be it UK, US, etc. has definitely put a dent in that belief. What really matters is love and understanding. And, that can be shared between people of any race, culture, or what have you.

I saw a post above that mentioned pidgin English. I just want to mention that it's not ONLY spoken by Nigerians. Almost every West African country has some form of Pidgin. So, pretty much anyone from those countries will understand and be able to speak it just like we do.
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by 2Legit: 8:33pm On Jan 22, 2007
We tend to try and put 'love' (loosely defined) as the basis for most of these things as though what we call love is an unduring thing. A lot of people who claim love end up divorcing bitterly.

Understanding should be the key issue in any relationship. That may be the reason Naija men eventually end up with Nigerian women. A lot of us like to confine culture and belief to the dustbin but they always play a great role in the sustenance o0f every relationship.

A man who was brought up with Nigerian values and cultures will struggle with a woman brought up with other values and cultures. It's not just Nigerians, if you go to other societies, the same is true. It's always very sweet and 'loving' in the beginning but it often turns sour afrter some years.
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by okwanuzo3(f): 12:59am On Jan 23, 2007
@bossman
very true pidgin is spoken across west africa, however it differs from country to country. Non nigerian pidgin won't contain words like "oga" as it is derived from the yoruba language or phrases like: "e don tey", as "tey" it is derived from the igbo language.
I have a friend from cameroun whose pidgin i mayn't understand unless i was listening intently.
But ogamadam has said she picked up a few words from her nigerian friend, so that could explain it.
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by Amya(f): 10:21pm On Dec 19, 2011
@op. Yeah happens sometimes.
Re: Is It True Naija Men Eventually ONLY Marry Nigerians by Nobody: 4:08am On Dec 26, 2011
lol seriously?
not all, although it would be a plus
to many that their "non-Naija" woman learn
the customs, how to prepare foods and some of the lingo.

Others prefer Naija women because of compatibility and
not having to teach them what they [should] already know.

It's all about the individual.

okwanuzo3:

@bossman
very true pidgin is spoken across west africa, however it differs from country to country. Non nigerian pidgin won't contain words like "oga" as it is derived from the yoruba language or phrases like: "e don tey",  as "tey" it is derived from the igbo language.
I[b] have a friend from cameroun whose pidgin i mayn't understand unless i was listening intently[/b].
But ogamadam has said she picked up a few words from her nigerian friend, so that could explain it.

interesting. I understand Nigerian, Cameroonian and Sierra Leonean pidgin VERY well. Can I speak them? eh!!  grin different story lol but i think it has a lot to do with the fact that west indian creole is also similar to all three. So its much easier for me but kinda puzzling to me, how when other Africans from different countries speak pidgin they may not understand each other.

(1) (Reply)

A Relationship Question For The Ladies! / Quit Sex Or End My Relationship / Wooing Gone Bad. *funny Experience*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.