Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,405 members, 7,836,630 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Is Airtel's 400 % Instant Bonus On Recharge A Scam? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Is Airtel's 400 % Instant Bonus On Recharge A Scam? (5734 Views)

Glo Yakata Prepaid Plan Launched- Get Up To 6GB Of Data On Recharge / The Best Network For Subscription Is Airtel. See For Yourself. / MTN Launches New Offer Tagged "Awuf4u" That Gives 400% Airtime Bonus On Recharge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Airtel's 400 % Instant Bonus On Recharge A Scam? by AlanSugar(m): 12:54pm On Oct 31, 2016
Is airtel's 400% bonus on recharge a scam? Pls house, I need your inputs on this.
I had picked up my phone to check my credit balance and to see if I needed a top up. After dealing *123#, send, I saw my balance and an attached note asking me to load 200 naira or more, do *126*1*pin# and get 400% instant bonus, dazzit, no further details!
I knew something was not right but I decided to take part in the offered game. So here are we go. I purchased a 200 naira airtel recard, keyed in the code as demanded, send, bingo! On check, my initial balance remained the same, but a noteĀ  to say my promo bal was now 800 naira and that i could makes calls to any network with this phantom amount for two days only, meaning, use it or not, it's gone after two days!
My mind began to race, why would airtel offer me 800 naira to make calls for two days against my 200naira recard? The answer isn't far fetched! I drew my calculator close by and what I found would amuse you! I placed the first call to an onnet line, spoke for only 45 secs and cut the line. I then checked my balance, 780.20! This means for 45secs, I got charged 19.80 naira. By doing 1980k divided by 45secs means I got charged 44kps (kobo per second).
On my normal plan tariff, I get charged 11kps. Comparing these two charges now and converting to charges in npm (naira per min), the promo billing is pegged @ 26.4 naira if you do 44* 60 divided by 100! While the normal billing on tarrif is @ 6.6 naira.
On further calculation to check the total obtainable call times for each of the billings, I found out that for the promo, 800 naira divided by 26.4 npm leaves me with a total call time of 30.30 mins. Checking for the call time I'd get if I had remained with my 200 recard loading, gave me 200 naira divided by 6.6npm, which comes to 30.30mins, Odiegwu!
Who loses, who gains? Your guess is as good as mine, airtel wins, airtel gains because it means they force their customers who sub the promo code to expend their hard earned cash within two days and the cycle continues!
So would you consider this to be a scam cus for someone like me, my 200 naira top up would remain on my account for ten days and running, who I de call sef?
Your reactions are needed pls.

2 Likes

Re: Is Airtel's 400 % Instant Bonus On Recharge A Scam? by dominique(f): 1:20pm On Oct 31, 2016
Na real odiegwu grin
I've never been carried away by all these recharge promos. The talk time is too darn expensive and there us always a validity.

1 Like

Re: Is Airtel's 400 % Instant Bonus On Recharge A Scam? by AlanSugar(m): 8:46am On Nov 01, 2016
Most annoying part is they tag it as "talk more account" while the real truth is you actually talk less! What manner of scam could be more than this?
Re: Is Airtel's 400 % Instant Bonus On Recharge A Scam? by Littlemix(f): 9:59am On Jun 27, 2019
It's a scam.. Imagine I did 100# for 500#.. I was charged the same amount as the former.. Scam oshi

(1) (Reply)

Lenovo Has Gone Mad! / 10 Whatsapp Tips & Tricks You Should Definitely Know In 2016 / Just Bought A New Samsung A30

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.