Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,400 members, 7,830,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) (14148 Views)

Poll: Nigerian journalists are:

Terrible: 69% (46 votes)
Trying: 30% (20 votes)
This poll has ended

Opinion: Re: Ihejirika-gate And Journalism In Nigeria / First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? / Olojede Wins $100k Mcnulty Prize. Prize Elevates Journalism In Nigeria -wsj (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by vwvw(m): 9:10pm On Oct 28, 2009
by the way why is this tardy post on the front page. Seun, what are the parameters in showboating a post;maybe its time we debated on what posts go on the front page
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by vwvw(m): 9:16pm On Oct 28, 2009
i spoke to the president of the senate, 3 years ago and this is what he had to tell me, http://connectafrica./2009/10/19/who-killed-dele-giwa/. the long and short of it is this; the electorate can hardly get the politicians to do anything for them, the journalists my brus lacks the motivation and support from a cuban-styled public in ensuring social justice. the end result is this; more activists trade kid punches on the pages of blogs and new media. wise up naija
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Nobody: 9:55pm On Oct 28, 2009
The sweeping generalization is mind-boggling.

All of a sudden all Nigerian journalists, reporters and Editors are appalling.

I remember a certain Reuben Abati even though he is not my cup of tea. VWW also mentioned a few

I am an ardent reader of the 'The Times Uk' and I can confidently say they are not perfect. Some of their articles are rather questionable but of High quality. But then again, na naija we dey talk about. make we dey nack am for head.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by AjanleKoko: 10:56pm On Oct 28, 2009
@Sagamite,
Maybe you now see why I think District 9 is not too far off the mark!
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by mbulela: 11:18pm On Oct 28, 2009
i agree that the generalisation is a problem and is akin to using a blunt instrument.
However, it must be said that the quality of journalism in Nigeria is on a very steep decline.
this can be confirmed from a very unusual source;
pick up copies of softsell papers from the late 80s and very early 90s (Classique, FAME, Prime People etc).
compare it to present day copies of City People and Encomium.
You will be appalled at the degeneration of journalism.
the stories might be distasteful to you (depending on your taste) but you will find that the articles of previous years were well crafted,devoid of typos and engaging.
pick up the trash that is published today.the language is butchered,filled with typos and seem to have been written by illiterates and for illiterates.
the difference is so clear.
it is the same case with the main stream papers.i was so offended by these lapses that a short while back, i lost count of the typos and grammatical errors i was seeing in Independent (the Tinubu paper) that i picked up my phone and called the editorial line that was in the editorial page.i asked to speak to the editor and was put through to him.i passionately made my misgivings clear to him and after a few minutes, the line cut.
he called me back and asked for specific instances in the day's edition.i took time and pointed out about four gaffes that were unforgivable in that day's edition.
He apologised and promised to make work on it.
He made me promise to keep them informed if i see such again in future but few weeks later i returned back to base.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by mbulela: 11:19pm On Oct 28, 2009
Ibime, if Jarus catch you!!!

i think he is an okay writer,just that he is a serial hero worshipper.
he will do well in the company of Dele Momodu.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Princek12(m): 12:20am On Oct 29, 2009
My main concern with Nigerian journalism is that a substantial number of articles I encounter are replete with grammatical errors, and the overall quality of the writing is disappointing.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 5:51am On Oct 29, 2009
vwvw:

@ poster, sharrap your dirty mouth. even if the fella failed to include the details you highlighted it doesn't in anyway mean Nigerian journalists are useless. after several Nigerian journalists have nicked awards at the international stage, .pulitzer prices,CNN awards etc and a handful have been jailed, maimed or killed in ensuring tonzos like you get HALFBAKED news. Friend do you know what the freedom of information bill is. Did you know Dele Giwa, Baguda Kaltho or Bayo Ohu, So think twice before you start to blab your mouth. one day spent in a newsroom should be adequate orientation for you in realizing what it means to hold the 4th estate of the realm

Mugu STFU!

I was referring to the national dailies where majority are poor and useless journalists. Most of the good ones are in solid publications like Newswatch etc or are freelance Columnists and these are the ones winning awards. Most of these awards I bet would be for bravery rather than intellectual contribution anyway.

What bloody time do you need to spend in a newsroom before you engage your brain to know it makes sense to identify a location to your audience rather than just state that it is "Owen Road".
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 5:55am On Oct 29, 2009
OMO IBO:

The sweeping generalization is mind-boggling.

All of a sudden all Nigerian journalists, reporters and Editors are appalling.

I remember a certain Reuben Abati even though he is not my cup of tea. VWW also mentioned a few

I am an ardent reader of the 'The Times Uk' and I can confidently say they are not perfect. Some of their articles are rather questionable but of High quality. But then again, na naija we dey talk about. make we dey nack am for head.

I am sorry, I don't recall anywhere I said "All nigerian journalists". Do you want to refresh my memory by pointing out where you saw that?

Do you understand the meaning of "some" in my first post or do you want me to bring out a dictionary for you?

People can't bloody read but they want to rant and throw accusations!

Typical Nigerians.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 5:57am On Oct 29, 2009
AjanleKoko:

@Sagamite,
Maybe you now see why I think District 9 is not too far off the mark!

Bruv, I don't get the link of District 9 to this o.

You wan brief me?
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Nobody: 6:02am On Oct 29, 2009
We actually have journalism in Nigeria? I thought they were the reg. Ajegunle boys just typing stories in the cybercafe
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 6:05am On Oct 29, 2009
goggs:

Ha ha see kettle calling the pot black. You guys have not even taken time to read the judgment that sent Bode George to the land of Micheal Scoffield. Bode George was not convicted for stealing. He was convicted for contract splitting, disobeying a lawful order amongst others. In as much as i would have wanted more years for the man, we need to understand issues well before speaking our minds. You might wrongly influence others.

Only if Farida Waziri had asked the court to convict him for stealing, the judge would have so stated and he (Bode) would have been most likely be asked to refund the loot or had his assets confiscated. We in naija sometimes dey too emotive

My friend, a paper reported that they "inflated contracts".

(4th paragragh please)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/10/27/n84bn-npa-contracts-scam-bode-george-5-others-jailed-28-years/

It would be reasonable to assume inflation of contracts would be for personal gain, wouldn't it?
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 6:14am On Oct 29, 2009
Some of the morons can't even arrange and group their bloody website.

I remember the Punch's site where you will have a section labelled "Sports" and have a set of stories to follow it. And the next section would say something like "Crime" and have a set of stories to follow it. And then you would have the next section say "Sports" again with another set of stories. Followed by another section saying "Features" and have a set of stories to follow it. Then back to "Sports" with another set of stories to follow it.

What is so hard to ensure all Sports stories are grouped together? And the Editor would be doing big man.

And this useless morons now decided to implement payment for service to read their website. I laughed!!!
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Nobody: 8:52am On Oct 29, 2009
Sagamite:

I am sorry, I don't recall anywhere I said "All nigerian journalists". Do you want to refresh my memory by pointing out where you saw that?
Do you understand the meaning of "some" in my first post or do you want me to bring out a dictionary for you?
People can't bloody read but they want to rant and throw accusations!

Typical Nigerians.
Why are you frothing at the mouth?
VWW and I only pointed out the obvious.
Too bad i did not quote your initial post as i believe it's now been doctored.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by vwvw(m): 9:06am On Oct 29, 2009
grin grin @ sagamite.see the polls you put. How are you faring.looooooooool
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by vwvw(m): 9:18am On Oct 29, 2009

I was referring to the national dailies where majority are poor and useless journalists. Most of the good ones are in solid publications like Newswatch etc or are freelance Columnists and these are the ones winning awards. Most of these awards I bet would be for bravery rather than intellectual contribution anyway.

What bloody time do you need to spend in a newsroom before you engage your brain to know it makes sense to identify a location to your audience rather than just state that it is "Owen Road".

well the PULLITZER prize, amigo is unadulterated genius and intellect. Azu of Punch is on CNN's INTELLECTUAL board which decides AFRICA'S PRINT JOURNALIST of the year and doubles as a fantastic columnist and editor. My brother if you've never been in the newsroom; you are no CHEF. You pick out three stories of out a million articles churned out weekly and monthly and say SOME NIGERIAN JOURNALISTS are morons. the question for a slowpoke will be is the story accurate? yes it is. he failed to mention where. but then that is a single omission when he is scored well in other aspects of the law of inquiry. And then someone has rightly pointed out; Bode George was not jailed for fraud or theft rather because he failed to adhere to a government ceiling of contract approvals, the judge said. "you cannot be more catholic than the pope". so my friend without being in the newsroom you have failed cardinal point 1 of fair journalism. GET YOUR INFORMATION RIGHT BEFORE BEFORE YOU BLAH BLAH. and finally neither your poll or title suggest that you aren't skewed anyway
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by DisGuy: 9:49am On Oct 29, 2009
I just hate the way they don't follow up announcements or include a time-line for contracts awarded as if that information is unnecessary they don't even bother to check if the contract is on or not

a journalist writing about Dbanj today will be writing about deregulation tomorrow!! they should employ
proper economists that have real life working experience not just theory bashing writers posing as journalists!

Reuben Abati is a writer no a journalist! he is one part lemon 100 part water he used to be good though now his articles are as watery as it gets!

As trashy as the Sun newspaper is they have enough power to effect change in the UK
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 10:07am On Oct 29, 2009
OMO IBO:

Why are you frothing at the mouth?
VWW and I only pointed out the obvious.
Too bad i did not quote your initial post as i believe it's now been doctored.

Shut up, my friend.

You actually made me doubt myself. I had to go back and read my post to see how it is possible that I said all journalists are poor.

I am too refined to use generalisation. Read all my posts.

[I bet you would say I went to doctor them all as well]

Rubbish.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 10:21am On Oct 29, 2009
vwvw:

well the PULLITZER prize, amigo is unadulterated genius and intellect. Azu of Punch is on CNN's INTELLECTUAL board which decides AFRICA'S PRINT JOURNALIST of the year and doubles as a fantastic columnist and editor. My brother if you've never been in the newsroom; you are no CHEF. You pick out three stories of out a million articles churned out weekly and monthly and say SOME NIGERIAN JOURNALISTS are morons. the question for a slowpoke will be is the story accurate? yes it is. he failed to mention where. but then that is a single omission when he is scored well in other aspects of the law of inquiry. And then someone has rightly pointed out; Bode George was not jailed for fraud or theft rather because he failed to adhere to a government ceiling of contract approvals, the judge said. "you cannot be more catholic than the pope". so my friend without being in the newsroom you have failed cardinal point 1 of fair journalism. GET YOUR INFORMATION RIGHT BEFORE BEFORE YOU BLAH BLAH. and finally neither your poll or title suggest that you aren't skewed anyway

WTF are you talking about? What poll?

As I said earlier, some are useless even if you can name a few that have excelled.

So Azu is a columnist? Don't you see your own arguments are backing up my points above? Oooops, OMO IBO would soon turn around and start saying I went to doctor doctor Who. undecided

You think 3 stories is all I saw before becoming so pissed off and starting this thread? My friend stop throwing these silly arguments? More forumites are listing their experiences of how rubbish your colleagues are. But I guess you are used to Nigerian standard, the "I don try, e don do" standard, so you feel it is not worth questioning omissions that are so easy to acquire but left out by a lazy and untrained quack journalist.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Nobody: 10:42am On Oct 29, 2009
Sagamite:

Shut up, my friend.

You actually made me doubt myself. I had to go back and read my post to see how it is possible that I said all journalists are poor.

I am too refined to use generalisation. Read all my posts.

[I bet you would say I went to doctor them all as well]

Rubbish.
I laugh in QUANGO!
You are too refined generalise!
I bet referring to them as appalling in your initial post was a mistake then??

Anyways, learn from your mistake.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by mraccess: 10:57am On Oct 29, 2009
nice observation,
but atimes, your audience determines how you write, the information you include and stuffs like that,
you dont have to keep spoonfeeding all the time,
im a journalist myself and is know what i'm talking about
you guys are just talking like this because you are on the other side of the divide,
watch cnn for an instance, you''ll never hear the Criminal Investigation Agency, rather they'll just tell you CIA, they'll not tell you New York Police Department, they'll just say NYPD and so on
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 11:00am On Oct 29, 2009
OMO IBO:

I laugh in QUANGO!
You are too refined generalise!
I bet referring to them as appalling in your initial post was a mistake then??

Anyways, learn from your mistake.

shocked

I am sorry. I did not know referring to quack journalists as appalling is such a crime. I apologise profusely.

If you can get me their addresses, I would send a hand-written apology written on paper sprayed with perfume to each of them.

*shakes head*

*some people don't know when to stop arguing when they have been caught goofing*

*they will turn it to roforofo arguments with lame points just to be seen as still standing*
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Nezan(m): 11:05am On Oct 29, 2009
What journalist know in Nigeria is to criticise government and run it down without caring that they are damaging the image of government.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Nobody: 11:07am On Oct 29, 2009
Sagamite:

shocked

I am sorry. I did not know referring to quack journalists as appalling is such a crime. I apologise profusely.

If you can get me their addresses, I would send a hand-written apology written on paper sprayed with perfume to each of them.

*shakes head*

*some people don't know when to stop arguing when they have been caught goofing*

*they will turn it to roforofo arguments with lame points just to be seen as still standing*
ROTFLMAO

Look who's talking about goofing.
You clearly labeled all Nigerian journalists, Editors and reports as appalling.

Myself and VWW brought this to your attention.
You editted your post, now you are talking like you never made the mistake??

Dude are you for real?

O boy, there is no shame in admitting your mistake.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 11:11am On Oct 29, 2009
mr access:

nice observation,
but atimes, your audience determines how you write, the information you include and stuffs like that,
you dont have to keep spoonfeeding all the time,
im a journalist myself and is know what i'm talking about
you guys are just talking like this because you are on the other side of the divide,
watch cnn for an instance, you''ll never hear the Criminal Investigation Agency, rather they'll just tell you CIA, they'll not tell you New York Police Department, they'll just say NYPD and so on

Yeah, I guess your audience determines your writing style but you risk losing out on growth potential if you are a small player and you do not endeavor to attract wider audience. And once you go online, you have gone global.

For example, a foreigner or even a foreign-born Nigerian trying to read Nigerian news and get engaged would be lost if things are not explained cleanly.

Further more, I think the trash journalists don't usually meet the standard of their primary audience in a lot of cases. For example what is the point or how does it satisfy your audience by reporting on teachers striking over none implementation of the TSS without even detailing what the TSS entails in regards to package? What is the current package of teachers and what package are they fighting for at each grade? That is just useless journalism.

In regards to CNN, they can get away with it (although it is bad practice) because most of their audience (who must be a bit well off to be able to afford CNN) would be familiar with this popular institutions through movies and TV programmes they watch frequently. So they are satisfying their audience.

I doubt CNN would be reporting on an environment agency and not specifically outline its name.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 11:13am On Oct 29, 2009
OMO IBO:

ROTFLMAO

Look who's talking about goofing.
You clearly labeled all Nigerian journalists, Editors and reports as appalling.

Myself and VWW brought this to your attention.
You editted your post, now you are talking like you never made the mistake??

Dude are you for real?

O boy, there is no shame in admitting your mistake.

Men, you are a pathetic retard.

I don't bother with people with gutter tactic arguments.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Nobody: 11:15am On Oct 29, 2009
Sagamite:

Men, you are a pathetic retard.

I don't bother with people with gutter tactic arguments.
I understand how feel man.
The truth they say is bitter and hard to take.

PS: do not take it personal.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by vwvw(m): 12:01pm On Oct 29, 2009
shocked shocked @sagamite
Further more, I think the trash journalists don't usually meet the standard of their primary audience in a lot of cases. For example what is the point or how does it satisfy your audience by reporting on teachers striking over none implementation of the TSS without even detailing what the TSS entails in regards to package? What is the current package of teachers and what package are they fighting for at each grade? That is just useless journalism.

In regards to CNN, they can get away with it (although it is bad practice) because most of their audience (who must be a bit well off to be able to afford CNN) would be familiar with this popular institutions through movies and TV programmes they watch frequently. So they are satisfying their audience.

I doubt CNN would be reporting on an environment agency and not specifically outline its name.

u call this CNN style; standard reporting. balderdash, BBC is king of world news any day. By the way, worldwide mainstream newspapers and tabloid sales have dipped because most INTERNATIONAL consumers are fed-up with your defined WORLD CLASS JOURNALISM and hitch-hiked to online media like huffington post, etc. you're outside this country and expect to know the entire details of the TSS. my friend you don't expect to find the details in the online version of a local daily!! the information my brother is everywhere and we for NAIJA don't need movies to educate us. and finally PUNK, the freedom of information bill is what you should be concerned about; it would go a long way in curing your jaundiced paucity of day to day happenings in your country
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by vwvw(m): 12:14pm On Oct 29, 2009
angry angry
Now that is bad, if you have verifiable fact to that heinous crime it would be best to make it known. It is illogical for those media houses to exploit people in need! They have by their actions exposed their irrelevance! Please if you can get info on them i would be delighted
let me correct this; i have worked with a number of electronic media for some years now; this is absolutely untrue. these stories are HUMAN ANGLE stories and i have never had of any reporter asking an indigent respondent for funds before a story is aired. yes the electronic news media is still growing-how many private media outfit do we have in Lagos-10,11, compare that number with the rest of the world. In years to come, things will improve. the NBC's draconian laws will be relaxed and people like you will begin to generate news related content and in time the rough edges will be ironed out.No journalist worth his salt would be happy at the large chunk of hours given to music on Nigeria TV; but then generating serious and hardcore news related content is no child's play. but the above mentioned allegation friend, is untrue.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by DisGuy: 1:20pm On Oct 29, 2009

thank you till date i'm still searching for this agreement

Apparently ASUU were on strike because the govt didnt implement the 2007 agreement and no single newspaper
explained what the agreement was or what the strike was about apart from increase wages

sometimes you watch NTA the night before hoping to get detailed information about contracts announced but all you get is exactly what the minister of information reads out after FEC meeting

A breakdown of the projects show that Abia has four projects worth about N9 billion, Akwa Ibom, four projects worth N10.2 billion, Bayelsa (six) totaling N29 billion and Cross River State (three) worth N6.1 billion.

Others are Delta (six) valued at N50 billion, Edo (three) worth N7 billion, Imo (four) estimated at N6.5 billion, Ondo (three) worth (22.5 billion) and Rivers (11) totaling N35.6 billion

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan - I Didnt Undergo Any Surgery / Boko Haram Kill 20 In Borno / Debunking The Lie By BMSG That Nigeria Was Delisted From Corrupt Countries Index

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.