Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,341 members, 7,829,866 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) (14147 Views)

Poll: Nigerian journalists are:

Terrible: 69% (46 votes)
Trying: 30% (20 votes)
This poll has ended

Opinion: Re: Ihejirika-gate And Journalism In Nigeria / First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? / Olojede Wins $100k Mcnulty Prize. Prize Elevates Journalism In Nigeria -wsj (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Jarus(m): 3:11pm On Nov 02, 2009
oyb:

^^^^^

Jarus kai - i swear u need to get a sense of humour cheesy cheesy

ibime is just joking

haba!

and here i was thinking i took everything too seriously cheesy cheesy
ok, lemme go and and dot the post with humorous emoticons grin grin

No2Atheism:

now i know who to mention whenever i get attack Alkinda Alqeida
ohun to ba wu elenu l'ole fenuso
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by DisGuy: 9:01am On Nov 04, 2009
In the same vein, the CBN has ordered the country's banks to report suspicious cash transactions from people involved in politics.

According to the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) regulations,[if you want to copy and paste atleast do it properly-bbc regulations?] published on the CBN website, now require banks to report large movements of cash between accounts if one of them belongs to a "politically exposed person".

These are defined as former heads of state, politicians, local council chairmen, court officials, soldiers and members of royal families.

Many "politically exposed people" are major shareholders or directors in Nigeria's banks.

Under the regulations, the identity of anyone making a transaction above N250,000 ($1,651, £1,013) must be checked.

The CBN has a list of "red flag" suspicious transactions that it says should trigger investigations.

But a BBC reporter in Nigeria says the people behind corruption and money-laundering in the country will already be working out ways around the regulations.

[url=http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article01//indexn2_html?pdate=041109&ptitle=CBN%20to%20boost%20liquidity,%20cuts%20interest%20on%20deposits]Guardian NGR[/url] 4/11/09

Imagine a nigerian newspaper quoting the BBC on a story that has to do with Nigeria, this is not the first time
funny this is, the BBC got it from the CBN's website, why quote the bbc when you could have also gone to the source to get the same story and even ask for their spokesmen to get detailed information!

Nigeria's central bank has ordered the country's banking sector to report suspicious cash transactions from people involved in politics.
The regulations, published on the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) website, now require banks to report large movements of cash between accounts if one of them belongs to a "Politically Exposed Person".
These are defined as former heads of state, politicians, local government chairmen, court officials, soldiers and members of royal families.

Many "Politically Exposed People" are major shareholders or directors in Nigeria's banks.

Under the regulations, the identity of anyone making a transaction above 250,000 naira ($1651, £1013) must be checked.
BBC 3/11/09
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 9:49am On Nov 05, 2009

VANGUARD

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/11/04/sanusi-equipped-for-cbn-job-%E2%80%93-omale-city-of-london-consultant/

[size=14pt]Sanusi equipped for CBN job – Omale, City of London Consultant[/size]
Emmanuel Aziken,

Dr. Sam Omale a London based financial consultant is the founder and CEO of Rock Global Training & Consultancy which focuses on exotics and structured financial products. Omale holds a doctorate from the Commonwealth University College Belize City. A graduate of Ahmadu Bello University ,he also holds an MBA (Banking & Finance) from the University of Nigeria Nsukka, an Msc ( International Capital Markets) from the  prestigious  University of Brighton Business School UK. A banker for more than 25 years in both Nigeria and the UK including board membership of two banks, Omale is also a fund manager and trainer in the City of London.

In this interview with Vanguard’s Emmanuel Aziken, Dr. Omale appraises the evolving reforms in the Nigerian financial sector and gives his verdict on history’s judgment on Mallam Sausi Lamido Sanusi, the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

What is your perspective on the ongoing reforms in the Nigeria banking industry?

May be we should break it into two. First of all let me start with the obvious ones which is the banking reform that has been going on, that is been orchestrated by the new governor of the central bank. I will say it has brought a lot of hope to the system. Hope in the sense that someone who is a practitioner himself, who was in the system managing one of the biggest banks knows the in and out of banking must have also observed the practices that has been going on was well equipped for this job.

He was definitely equipped for this job and that is why when he came it didn’t take him time to know what was wrong in the system and decided to make these immediate changes which are really not changes, but really getting the banks to get the job they are supposed to be doing in the first place. That will indeed show that their oversight functions or supervisory functions were sleeping at the watch.

When he came in he woke them up and he is equipped for it because he is  coming from the risk perspective which is superior to other forms of supervision because it goes beyond banks meeting the demands of regulatory reforms. So I will say that it has brought a lot of interest to the international market because people are now saying that for once we now know that banks are been reformed, banks are now going back to their original traditional practices.

Look at this foolish journalist, he is potentially misleading gullible audiences (most Nigerians are) by glorying a mediocre/charlatan through unworthy embroideriment of his profile.

"Prestigious" Brighton Business School my bleeping arse!!!

The journalist should come and tell me which source he researched to be able to label such a Business School as prestigious. slowpoke!

I am wondering whether this is not a case of journalist-for-rent-for-self-promotion because after checking the interviewee's website, he is a nonentity in the UK.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 9:59am On Nov 09, 2009

VANGUARD

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/11/09/nba-insists-san-must-be-abolished/

[size=14pt]NBA insists SAN must be abolished[/size]
Abdulwahab Abdulah,

LAGOS—The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has said it call on the Legal Practitioners Privileges Committee (LPPC) to address the controversies trailing the appointment of lawyers into the rank of the Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SAN) is sancosant.

The national officers of the association, at a meeting in Kaduna, recently, said it is in support of a letter written by its president, Mr. Rotimi Akeredolu (SAN), to the chairman of the privileges committee who is also the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Idris Kutigi.

Akeredolu had asked Kutigi to convey a meeting in finding solution to the agitation of lawyers calling for the abolition of the rank of senior advocate.

According to a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Muritala Abdul-Rasheed, the NBA stated: “The attention of the Nigerian Bar Association has been drawn to newspaper reports of a purported apology issued by some national officers of the association in respect of a letter written by the NBA President to the Chief Justice of Nigeria regarding appointments to the position of Senior Advocate of Nigeria.

“At the national officers meeting of the NBA in Kaduna on Tuesday, November 3, the purported apology was roundly deprecated as not representing the views of the national officers and indeed, the association, but as the clear and unfortunate handiwork of some officers who have other interests to serve beside the interest of the association.”

How did this fool move from "request to abolish" to "apology letter"?

Does this fool not understand how to build and construct a story that flows? undecided
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by yeswecan(m): 10:25am On Nov 10, 2009
This is not peculiar to Nigerian alone. In fact journalism in the west is the worst given the level of development and advancement/freedom of information act, still the west media's first assignment is to entertain rather that inform. This reminds me of the JFK speech where he condemned the America media far back in the early 60s for not providing the people with information. We might never get the chance to know what really happens out there because media information are controlled and we are made to believe what they want us to.

There is nothing like freedom of information , we are made to believe we are free, no we are not. We are under programing and the media is their biggest agent.

We will never know what happened in 9.11
we will never know the real cause of Iraq invasion
We will never know of the Builderburg group (Meetings held every year, total black-out from the media)
We will never know who really killed JFK, MLK and so many others

The media is a tool to uphold lies and put out false theories like the magic bullet theory
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 11:36am On Nov 10, 2009
yeswecan:

In fact journalism in the west is the worst given the level of development and advancement/freedom of information act, still the west media's first assignment is to entertain rather that inform.

GBAM!

But if you stick to the broad sheets (FT, Telegraph, Times etc) you have a better chance of avoiding such filth and daft news of the likes of Sun and Mirror that majority read and then still exercise their right to comment or vote on issues.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by MyJoe: 3:52pm On Nov 13, 2009
yeswecan:

There is nothing like freedom of information , we are made to believe we are free, no we are not. We are under programing and the media is their biggest agent.

We will never know what happened in 9.11
we will never know the real cause of Iraq invasion
We will never know of the Builderburg group (Meetings held every year, total black-out from the media)
We will never know who really killed JFK, MLK and so many others

The media is a tool to uphold lies and put out false theories like the magic bullet theory

It is one thing to lend weight to conspiracy theories. But is it prudent or scholarly to let them form the basis for ANALYSIS?
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 1:08pm On Nov 15, 2009

Nigerian Tribune

http://www.tribune.com.ng/15112009/news/news3.html

[size=14pt]Soyinka lives only to abuse others - Abacha[/size]
Kehinde Oyetimi

THE National President of Northern Patriotic Front (NPF), Alhaji Ali Abacha, has described Professor Wole Soyinka as one who only engages in raining abuses on others.

In a reaction to the statement credited to Soyinka against the Senate President, Senator David Mark and the INEC Chairman, Professor Maurice Iwu, Abacha stated that “Soyinka’s recent public abuse of the Senate President, Senator David Mark and INEC Chairman, Professor Maurice Iwu at the Adams Oshiomhole’s lecture in Benin City, was nothing new.”

Describing Soyinka as a person suffering from personality complex, Abacha added that “we are aware of the fact that the same Prof Iwu, as ASUU official, played a prominent role in saving Soyinka when, as chairman of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), he had to beg ASUU to rescue him from some problems.

“If Soyinka believes that public offices are easy to manage, he should remember very well that the only public office he has held was that of Chairman of the FRSC.

“Because Senator Mark said it is trivialising issues for any one to continue to insist that one man, the Chairman of INEC, is the problem of Nigeria’s electoral process, Soyinka started calling the Senate President names.

This irresponsible slowpoke does not see it as his responsibility to inform his audience if this Abacha is related to the dictator or not.

Bloody Quack!
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by SapeleGuy: 1:26pm On Nov 15, 2009
If I was to adopt your standard, I could argue that some of the bad Nigerian graduates (those that can't even write or speak English properly) I have encountered are representative of all Nigerian graduates. We must be careful of sweeping generalisations, because you denigrate a whole profession.
In fairness to the point you make, some of the editors of these publications are absent without leave.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 3:26pm On Nov 15, 2009
SapeleGuy:

If I was to adopt your standard, I could argue that some of the bad Nigerian graduates (those that can't even write or speak English properly) I have encountered are representative of all Nigerian graduates. We must be careful of sweeping generalisations, because you denigrate a whole profession.
In fairness to the point you make, some of the editors of these publications are absent without leave.

Please show me where I generalised and try and be specific.

I await your response.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sauron1: 3:59pm On Nov 15, 2009
SapeleGuy:

U won't be FAR from the truth if you argue that.
90% of the graduates Nigerian Universities produce every year are half-baked.

@ topic,

I agree with Sagamite here.
Everywhere you look on Naija sites, u see lazy journalism.
I doubt these cats do any kinda research before printing their hokum.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by SapeleGuy: 4:14pm On Nov 15, 2009
Sagamite:

Please show me where I generalised and try and be specific.

I await your response.

As I said, you have a point, remember that the environment that our journalists work in is extremely hazardous.
Constructive criticism is welcome but your comment about 'dicing up' could be construed as malicious. I agree with the 'letter' of what you are saying but not the 'spirit' in which it is delivered.

On the issue of generalisation - please see your comments below:

he is potentially misleading gullible audiences (most Nigerians are)
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 4:26pm On Nov 15, 2009
SapeleGuy:

As I said, you have a point, remember that the environment that our journalists work in is extremely hazardous.
Constructive criticism is welcome but your comment about 'dicing up' could be construed as malicious. I agree with the 'letter' of what you are saying but not the 'spirit' in which it is delivered.

So at least the first agreement we should come to is that I have not generalised on journalists and you unnecessarily libelled me.

On the other hand, all the faults I have highlighted in these reports are inexcusable except you want to justify laziness and incompetence. They have nothing to do with hazards or lack of resources, they are easy to achieve capabilities for the diligent. Do you agree?

SapeleGuy:

On the issue of generalisation - please see your comments below:

he is potentially misleading gullible audiences (most Nigerians are)

I stand by that anyday.

Most humans (not only Nigerians) are not intelligent and are malleable and easily mislead especially when they lack education and self-worth (which are extensive traits in Nigeria).
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 10:52am On Nov 17, 2009

VANGUARD

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/11/17/n2bn-scam-workers-protest-against-md/

[size=14pt]N2bn scam: Workers protest against MD[/size]
No name provided,

ABUJA—Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) yesterday said the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) will probe the Managing Director of ANAMMCO, Mr. Jacques Gelin over an alleged N2billiion scam.

Director-General of the Bureau, Dr. Christopher Anyanwu, confirmed the development when over 200 senior staff of ANAMMCO stormed BPE demanding the removal of Mr. Gelin and asking that he be charged to court for sundry abuses.

The workers, however, claimed that Mr. Gelin’s activities was gradually crippling ANAMMCO operations, which they claimed was programmed to close shop by January 1, 2010, arrived the BPE premises with various placards and a mock coffin, in which they conspicuously wrote the name of the black-listed Managing Director.

After making their oral and documentary presentations to the BPE, Dr. Anyanwu told the aggrieved workers that it was not the first time government would be inundated with allegations bothering on fraudulent activities of Mr. Gelin, promising that he was currently being investigated by the anti-graft agencies.

According to Anyanwu, “this was not the first time we are hearing about the alleged fraud against Mr. Gelin.

The Anti-Fraud Unit of the Nigeria Police Force is probing him, but he was granted bail based on the intervention of the French Embassy. We had also attended series of meetings in Germany where the issues were raised.

“I must tell you that we are impressed by the way you decided to go about this protest peacefully. We are also happy that you have documentary evidence of the allegations you have made. He will face the music.

I don’t think I can be bribed. Justice must be done in this matter though it seems it is taking a little longer time, but the course of justice could appear to be slow but surely will grind to its end.

“I must tell you that we are not trying to pass judgement from our side. That is what the law says, but we will take the appropriate steps on the petitions you had written. He must be made to defend himself of all these allegations, which to my mind are weighty enough.

This slowpoke could not do a simple a thing as to state what ANAMMCO stands for and what they do in regards to products or service.

Dumb fake.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by DisGuy: 8:31pm On Nov 18, 2009

He said a cabal within the oil industry was doing everything to frustrate the operation of the refineries, adding that the sum of $7.5 million was spent on Kaduna Refinery, which was still not functioning. He declared that the only solution was deregulation of the industry.

"The ministry has not said anything about deregulation. The refineries are still not working. The sum of $7.5 million was spent on Kaduna Refinery and it is still not working. We have a cabal that is making the refineries not to work. The only solution is deregulation.

John Halims Agoda (Delta State) said government should be serious about the policy. Some infrastructure should be put in place to cushion the effects on the citizens.

"Government must show seriousness. Instead of providing alternatives, they engage in a show of shame. The issue of fuel is critical in our national life. Before deregulation, the transport sector must be fixed. Government should be capable of ensuring that the policy does not affect Nigerians negatively. The government should also look at the salaries of Nigerians because deregulation will result in increase in prices of many things. This time calls for constant engagement between the National Assembly and the Executive", he said.

Aro Bamidele (Kogi State); and Vice Chairman of Committee on Petroleum (Downstream) disclosed that between 2006 and 2009, the government spent N1.458 trillion on fuel subsidy. He said the way out of the problem was deregulation.

"The NNPC must ensure that necessary things are done. We should be able to explain to Nigerians what deregulation is. I agree that the NNPC has to follow due process. PMS costs about N107. The difference between N107 and N65 is the subsidy that government pays. Government has spent N1.458 trillion on subsidy between 2006 and 2009.

notice how this journo keeps repeating everything said/disclosed instead of using their words in quote within the same sentence

After telling us what the rep/senators say he then go on to explain it

[url=http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article01//indexn2_html?pdate=181109&ptitle=Reps%20list%20conditions%20for%20deregulation]Guardian[/url] Alifa Daniel and John-Abba Ogbodo
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 2:01am On Nov 19, 2009
Dis Guy:

notice how this journo keeps repeating everything said/disclosed instead of using their words in quote within the same sentence

After telling us what the rep/senators say he then go on to explain it

[url=http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article01//indexn2_html?pdate=181109&ptitle=Reps%20list%20conditions%20for%20deregulation]Guardian[/url] Alifa Daniel and John-Abba Ogbodo

Bottom of the barrel journalism from a deficient brain.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by GAR3TH(m): 2:55am On Nov 19, 2009
In my opinion nigeria’s journalism is pretty fair, its not great but not bad. But there are some idiotic journalist out there who will rather makeup or spin the news just to make a name for there selves or group. And also Nigeria’s journalism don’t really look to politically bias in my opinion compared to American news networks.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 2:23am On Nov 29, 2009

THISDAY

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=160909

[size=14pt]66 -Year- Old Kidnapped Businessman Found Dead[/size]
Victor Efeizomor,

A 66 year old business man and a father of four, Nze Jerome Atusiaka, has been found dead and buried in a shallow grave in an uncompleted building  one  month after  his kidnap by unknown gunmen.   
Atusiaka  who was kidnapped  a fortnight ago   by a four man gang  at Memeh /Convent Street junction in   Boji  Boji  Owa, in   Ika North East local government area of Delta State was said to have been trailed  from his business premises along Lagos / Asaba road in Ika Metropolis  while returning home  from work  with his family members.
An eye witness account told THISDAY that Atusiaka ,who hailed from Agwuata Local Government Area of Anambra State  was driving home at about 6:55pm  along with his two sons and a business associate  when four armed youths  forcefully took him  into  an unmarked    Toyota Camry   car. THISDAY gathered that the kidnappers had demanded N50 million ransoms from the victim.
It was also gathered that they only reduced it to   three million naira but the inability of the family members to raise the money prompted the kidnappers to collect three hundred thousandnaira, but still killed him.

Mr. Emeka Atusiaka ,  one of the sons of Mr. Atusiaka  told THISDAY that,  while their  negotiation  and conversation with the kidnappers lasted  , they were not giving the opportunity to speak with their Dad  raising their fear that the worst may  have befalling him, adding that soon after the kidnap incident  , the police and the State Security Services  was alerted.
He further stated that the combined efforts of the police and State Security Services led to the arrest of four suspects in connection with the abduction, and that they are currently in police custody. 
However, family members of Atusiaka have raised eyebrows over the circumstances surrounding the kidnap and murder of the father, saying that “some powerful individuals, who wanted to settle old scores with their father may be  behind the dastardly act”.
Delta State Police Commissioner, Mr.  Yakubu  Alkali who spoke through the public relations officer, Mr. Charles Muka, while confirming the development ,  said “ we have three suspects in our custody in respect of the kidnap nad murderr of one Jeromo Atusiaka , the body of the victime was recovered in a shallow grave in Agbor”.
He adding that “ during our investigation we recovered a barrette pistol from one of the suspects who has made confessional statement and investigations is still on going, we shall take the matter to court as soon as we conclude with investigation” .       
In a two page petition sent to the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Ogbona Onovo, and signed by Barrister S.O. A Gbenoba and Mr. Chima Atusiaka, titled , “ Kidnap And Subsequent Murder of Mr. Atusiaka Jorome Allegedly By Dennis  Araro and Mr. James Abeye”,   alleged that Mr. Atusiaka death was a master mind of some individuals.
The peitition stated that the suspects arrested in connection with the kidnap and murder of Atusiaka “ mentioned Dennis Araro, Odita Okoh , Eman Achia , Johnbull Oriahi , James Ebeye, Chalie Okwuohi and one Ejime who drove the brown Toyota Camry used in kidnapping  Jeromo Atusiaka on twenty four , October.” 
The petition further stated that “ the Delta State Police Command arrested four persons over the act but one was subsequently short dead  by the team  after  making confessional statement , inceimating Mr. Dennis  Araro , Mr. James Ebeye, Mr. Paul Atusiaka and the son of Mr. Paul Atusiaka , Mr. Chinoso Atusiaka , a well known notoriopus criminal and has been in dissapperence ever since this matter came up”.
The petition also said that “ the suspects  confessed that  they killed Jeromo Atusiaka and had him buried quietly at the command of Dennis Araro  who is the Chairman , Ika South National Union of Road Transport Workers , Agbor,  a known thug  and cultist.”   
They appealed to  the  IG “ use your good office to take over the investigation  and case  file  from the Delta State Police command before they kill the case.”

This Victor Efeizomor is probably the daftest journalist of them all. This guys brain is made of cement.

In one news article he can make so much error? What a foolish quack.

This fool said that the police arrested four suspects, then quoted the police stating they arrested 3 suspects, then the FOOLISH slowpoke now listed names of 7 arrested suspects on the petition, then stated that the petition states the police arrested 4 suspects, and then this slowpoke now named 4 suspects again with 2 not in the 7 suspects named just one paragraph earlier.

And with so much grammatical error. This is suppose to be a journalist? And the Editor approved this? They are all retarded.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by vikiviko(m): 4:16pm On Nov 29, 2009
Journalism in Nigeria is vibrant take away some of the hitches mentioned its still better comapared to sensational journalism practised in some part of Europe and Middle East.

Check the guardian newspaper, thisday and Punch for print.
For TV, Silverbirds is excellent in its entertainment reporting , Channels for news and NTA as state owned.
In lagos wazobia FM is doing so well in local reporting, Brila is rated so high abroad in Sports reporting.

This is a hint for journalist in the house on how to write a news story.
When writing a news story the first thing in mind is the lead- One of the most important elements of news writing is the opening paragraph or two of the story. Journalists refer to this as the "lead," and its function is to summarize the story and/or to draw the reader in (depending on whether it is a "hard" or "soft" news story).

The body of the story involves combining the opinions of the people you interview, some factual data, and a narrative which helps the story flow. A word of caution, however. In this style of writing, you are not allowed to "editorialize" (state your own opinion) in any way.

The role of a reporter is to find out what people are thinking of an issue and to report the opinions of different stakeholders of an issue. These comments make up the bulk of the story. The narrative helps to weave the comments into a coherent whole.

As a reporter, you are the eyes and ears for the readers. You should try to provide some visual details to bring the story to life (this is difficult if you have conducted only phone interviews, which is why face-to-face is best). You should also try to get a feel for the story. Having a feel means getting some understanding of the emotional background of the piece and the people involved in it. Try to get a sense of the characters involved and why they feel the way they do.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by naijatoday: 4:30pm On Nov 29, 2009
vikiviko:

Journalism in Nigeria is vibrant take away some of the hitches mentioned its still better comapared to sensational journalism practised in some part of Europe and Middle East.

Check the guardian newspaper, thisday and Punch for print.
For TV, Silverbirds is excellent in its entertainment reporting , Channels for news and NTA as state owned.
In lagos wazobia FM is doing so well in local reporting, Brila is rated so high abroad in Sports reporting.

This is a hint for journalist in the house on how to write a news story.
When writing a news story the first thing in mind is the lead- One of the most important elements of news writing is the opening paragraph or two of the story. Journalists refer to this as the "lead," and its function is to summarize the story and/or to draw the reader in (depending on whether it is a "hard" or "soft" news story).

The body of the story involves combining the opinions of the people you interview, some factual data, and a narrative which helps the story flow. A word of caution, however. In this style of writing, you are not allowed to "editorialize" (state your own opinion) in any way.

The role of a reporter is to find out what people are thinking of an issue and to report the opinions of different stakeholders of an issue. These comments make up the bulk of the story. The narrative helps to weave the comments into a coherent whole.

As a reporter, you are the eyes and ears for the readers. You should try to provide some visual details to bring the story to life (this is difficult if you have conducted only phone interviews, which is why face-to-face is best). You should also try to get a feel for the story. Having a feel means getting some understanding of the emotional background of the piece and the people involved in it. Try to get a sense of the characters involved and why they feel the way they do.

Are you serious?

I can understand Punch, but Guardian and especially THISDAY?
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by MyJoe: 5:20pm On Nov 30, 2009
naijatoday:

Are you serious?

I can understand Punch, but Guardian and especially THISDAY?

Thanks, brother.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 2:52pm On Jan 09, 2010

Nigerian Tribune

http://www.tribune.com.ng/09012010/news/sports2.html

[size=14pt]Amodu Walks Tight Rope - Gets NFF Final Warning[/size]
Nenye Moses

SUPER Eagles Chief Coach Shuaibu Amodu seems to be walking on a very tight rope as the Super Eagles prepare for the African Nations Cup in Angola.

Saturday Tribunesports findings revealed that the leadership of the Nigeria Football Federation has resolved to allow the former Orlando Pirates coach have his way as far as the team is concerned.

He has however been warned of the consequences of parading unfit players in the 2010 Africa Nations Cup in Angola.

According to the NFF President, Alhaji Sani Lulu Abdullahi, the consequences of fielding unfit players are very unprecedented.

“Amodu knows the implications of fielding unfit players in the tournaments. Nigerians are not ready to accept anything less than a maximum performance.

“So I am well convinced that all the players he selected are in the best frame of mind and are fit for the tournament”.

Lulu said that he was the one who ordered that all the players be made to undergo the compulsory medical test to ascertain their medical fitness.

"I order that the test be carried out on all the players. I insisted that Martins should be made to undergo the same test before he was picked. So I believe that all the players are medically fit for the games. What the coaches need to do is to empower them tactically to carry out the assignment" he concluded.

This irresponsible mo.ron is one of those that mislead the gullible public.

He has somehow twisted a statement into a reprimand of "final warning". Stuupid baastard!
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by oderemo(m): 3:00pm On Jan 09, 2010
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by oderemo(m): 3:03pm On Jan 09, 2010

is that an excuse for lazy brown envelope journalism ?
moreover which job hasn't its risk .
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by funkybaby(f): 3:10pm On Jan 09, 2010
Sagamite:

This Victor Efeizomor is probably the daftest journalist of them all. This guys brain is made of cement.

What a foolish quack.

This fool said that the police arrested four suspects, then quoted the police stating they arrested 3 suspects, then the FOOLISH slowpoke now listed names of 7 arrested suspects on the petition, then stated that the petition states the police arrested 4 suspects, and then this slowpoke now named 4 suspects again with 2 not in the 7 suspects named just one paragraph earlier.

And with so much grammatical error. This is suppose to be a journalist? And the Editor approved this? They are all retarded.

Sagamite:

This irresponsible mo.ron is one of those that mislead the gullible public.

He has some twisted a statement into a reprimand of "final warning". Stuupid baastard!

lmao !  grin grin grin grin
the insults on this thread had me laughing.

sagamite, you are such a nasty critic !  grin  grin
but you are right though. crappy journalism in nigeria's newspapers.

i only read two newspapers. . . punch and 234next

sun newspapers. . . . when am extremely bored, and few times i read funke egbemode's columns. i was a big fan of hers years back when she was a columnist at punch, but since she moved to the Sun  lipsrsealed.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 3:20pm On Jan 09, 2010
ode remo:

is that an excuse for lazy brown envelope journalism ?
moreover which job hasn't its risk .

Broda mi, you dey debate with yourself? shocked

How come you dey challenge your own assertion? grin
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 3:28pm On Jan 09, 2010
funkybaby:

lmao !  grin grin grin grin
the insults on this thread had me laughing.

sagamite, you are such a nasty critic !  grin  grin
but you are right though. crappy journalism in nigeria's newspapers.

i only read two newspapers. . . punch and 234next

sun newspapers. . . . when am extremely bored, and few times i read funke egbemode's columns. i was a big fan of hers years back when she was a columnist at punch, but since she moved to the Sun  lipsrsealed.

funky, yes you said it well, I am a nasty critic.  grin If you look at the statement under my pix, it explains why.

I don't seem to have ever seen you on NL before, so I think you will find that you will soon have to choose between being one of those that hate me to the bone because of my nastiness and arrogance (dust myself off) cool OR one of those that like me because of the logic, intellect and humour of my criticism.  grin I am afraid I am yet to see an individual that falls in the middle.  cool

Sun newspapers? Just by looking at the front display of their reports, I know it is not a newspaper I should read talkless of taking serious. Never read it in my life, as I doubt it would add any value to my existence, I refuse to dumb down. Good thing you don't take them seriously too.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jan 09, 2010
^^^^^

I don't seem to have ever seen you on NL before, so I think you will find that you will soon have to choose between being one of those that hate me to the bone because of my nastiness and arrogance (dust myself off) Cool OR one of those that like me because of the logic, intellect and humour of my criticism. Grin I am afraid I am yet to see an individual that falls in the middle

ya ego pass kanye west own cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 09, 2010
oyb:

^^^^^

ya ego pass kanye west own cheesy cheesy cheesy

Like seriously grin grin grin grin
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 11:04pm On Jan 09, 2010
oyb:

^^^^^
ya ego pass kanye west own  cheesy cheesy cheesy

FL Gators:

Like seriously  grin grin grin grin

Get your facts right. Who is Kanye?

Abeg make he comot.

Kanye + Cowell + Mourinho = Sagamite.  cheesy

But I no lie sha. cool
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by mikkynwa: 11:07pm On Jan 09, 2010
please i wan know where i fit watch nation cup for website 4 free
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by funkybaby(f): 4:32pm On Jan 10, 2010
Sagamite:

funky, yes you said it well, I am a nasty critic. grin If you look at the statement under my pix, it explains why.

I don't seem to have ever seen you on NL before, so I think you will find that you will soon have to choose between being [s]one of those that hate me to the bone because of my nastiness and arrogance (dust myself off)[/s] cool OR one of those that like me because of the logic, intellect and humour of my criticism. grin I am afraid I am yet to see an individual that falls in the middle. cool

grin grin grin
the bolded part . . . . that is my choice

nice and funny thread though. . . i am looking forward to more 'naming and shaming' cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Arrested Boko Haram Bomber Dies(escapes) In Delta / Patience Jonathan - I Didnt Undergo Any Surgery / Display The Intelligence Of The Politics Section: Answer These Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.