Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? (1499 Views)

My 18-Year-Old Maid And Her Boyfriends / Couple Ignore Their Maid At A Restaurant, Angry Nigerians React (Photos) / I Caught My Husband Sucking My Niece’s Breast, Sleeping With Our Maid -wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by harbibi: 11:50am On Nov 01, 2016
Please is it advisable to travel overseas with your maid in tow?
Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by Dyt(f): 11:56am On Nov 01, 2016
Discrimination
lipsrsealed

Yes you can
kiss
Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by thorpido(m): 11:58am On Nov 01, 2016
Yes,legally.

It's important you treat the maid well too.
Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 01, 2016
Yes I can... I have a maid in heart who worked for. My late mum.. She's so nice and I take her as family already.. I always call her and let know I still remember her, and in due time when am married with kids, she will become nanny to. My kids.. Such lady I can take abroad.. She deserves it... She super cleans, humble and gentle.. She's a divorcee.. I like her alot.

1 Like

Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by 5minsmadness: 12:04pm On Nov 01, 2016
So that when she miss her people will start looking for you ba?

Ok.
Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by southernbelle(f): 12:09pm On Nov 01, 2016
No, I won't.
My aunt's maid almost put her in trouble abroad. But if you find a very good one you trust with all your heart, you can.

1 Like

Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by crackhaus: 12:11pm On Nov 01, 2016
5minsmadness:
So that when she miss her people will start looking for her ba?

Ok.
Lol, that's a funny one.

Everyone be like yea of course, but it's like dem never put flight ticket into consideration yet. cheesy
Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by crackhaus: 12:13pm On Nov 01, 2016
southernbelle:
No, I won't.
My aunt's maid almost put her in trouble abroad. But if you find a very good one you trust with all your heart, you can.
Please elaborate...
Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by 5minsmadness: 12:17pm On Nov 01, 2016
crackhaus:

Lol, that's a funny one.

Everyone be like yea of course, but it's like dem never put flight ticket into consideration yet. cheesy

To and fro o
And this ending of year period.
Whats her level of education?
Will she be the type that has the mentality that this is the opportunity of a lifetime to run away into obodo-oyibo and never return?
Is there any understanding with her family that they r taking her abroad? And at who's risk?

Its not just "yes, dont discriminate, take care of her, etc. ", what kind of a person is she?
Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by crackhaus: 12:21pm On Nov 01, 2016
5minsmadness:

To and fro o
And this ending of year period.
Whats her level of education?
Will she be the type that has the mentality that this is the opportunity of a lifetime to run away into obodo-oyibo and never return?
Is there any understanding with her family that they r taking her abroad? And at who's risk?

Its not just "yes, dont discriminate, take care of her, etc. ", what kind of a person is she?

Many things to consider, it can't be such an easy 'oya Ngozi get ready, we going to New York next week' kind of decision.
Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by thorpido(m): 12:26pm On Nov 01, 2016
^^^I'm sure all that would have been finalised.

It's actually cheaper than getting a nanny abroad so it depends on the longer term objectives.
Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by southernbelle(f): 1:57pm On Nov 01, 2016
crackhaus:

Please elaborate...
Long story anyway the long and short of it is that she confided in someone that she was going to report to the authorities that she was being abused, the other person she confided in told my aunt her plans.

1 Like

Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by Onegai(f): 2:30pm On Nov 01, 2016
thorpido:
^^^I'm sure all that would have been finalised.

It's actually cheaper than getting a nanny abroad so it depends on the longer term objectives.

Never, ever.

Pay whatever the hell any worker abroad wants. That is the price you pay for living in a society that works: it's more expensive to afford Human Resources. Or come to Nigeria, pay cheap labour and have a society in shambles, with zero infrastructure and pay quadruple just to have electricity, clean water and some measure of security. You cannot have both, no eating your slice of cake and sharing some to Ada, Bisi and Halima. And Nigerians in general are too unpredictable to ever trust long-run.
Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by thorpido(m): 2:50pm On Nov 01, 2016
Onegai:

Never, ever. I know a couple who did 2 years in jail because their maid started acting up, refused to go to school and after they reported back to her guardian in Nigeria and were asked to put her on the first flight back, went to the authorities and declared that she was a trafficked person (this is someone who almost every year was put on a plane to visit her family back home, on their dime). It was a silly case and the judge would have thrown it out but unfortunately her passport had false info on it (her guardian did that, not them) so they got the book thrown at them for that. And the maid promptly declared she was a lesbian and filed for Asylum.

Pay whatever the hell any worker abroad wants. That is the price you pay for living in a society that works: it's more expensive. Or come to Nigeria, pay cheap labour and have a society in shambles, with zero infrastructure and pay quadruple just to have electricity, clean water and some measure of security. You cannot have both, no eating your slice of cake and sharing some to Ada, Bisi and Halima. And Nigerians in general are too unpredictable to ever trust long-run.
The bolded is the main issue,that unpredictability.
I know a couple who have done it for a couple of years but they are lucky they have a loyal girl.
It's a risky venture.
Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by Onegai(f): 2:54pm On Nov 01, 2016
thorpido:
The bolded is the main issue,that unpredictability.
I know a couple who have done it for a couple of years but they are lucky they have a loyal girl.
It's a risky venture.

The right word is "Corrupt" but a lot of people will take it personally grin ignoring the obvious: how can our nation be in shambles, is it Govt that told Health workers, the officials at Passport Office, the NPF boys and even your average worker to be corrupt??

They are very lucky. It is usually better to get a much older lady, with the promise of good healthcare and welfare, than a young lady/young man. Those elderly mamas are happy to be enjoying 24 hours light and be watching Nollywood.
Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by ifyalways(f): 3:28pm On Nov 01, 2016
I must be one of the lucky few then. My maid is the second madam of the house and she travelled with us everywhere we went until she got married.

She brought her cousin to us and she too goes with us, wherever we go. I'm so lucky and blessed. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 01, 2016
so women in this section have maids
who would have thought so shocked

2 Likes

Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by Onegai(f): 4:51pm On Nov 01, 2016
ifyalways:
I must be one of the lucky few then. My maid is the second madam of the house and she travelled with us everywhere we went until she got married.

She brought her cousin to us and she too goes with us, wherever we go. I'm so lucky and blessed. smiley

You're a baller na. Abeg lemme come and work for you, I like travel.
Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by CoCoLav(f): 6:20pm On Nov 01, 2016
Nope! If wives can open eye for their husbands when they get to obodo oyinbo, is it your maid that will not open eye?
Re: Will You Take Your Maid Abroad With You? by raumdeuter: 6:37pm On Nov 01, 2016
You know the labour laws in the country you are travelling to requires you to pay and treat her in a certain way

If the maid talks to the right people you can get into trouble for child labor if I minor or Human traffiking

(1) (Reply)

I Need Ur Advice!!! / To Protect Your Ego, Perform Your Duties: Husbands, Put Your House In Order / What Minimum KVA Generator Will Power This Freezer In Particular?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.