Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,428 members, 7,812,262 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:53 AM

Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State (85787 Views)

Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / Ehinoyi Of Ebira Palace: Okene King's Palace In Kogi State (Pictures) / The Igbo Speaking People Inter Relationship With Esans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 7:54pm On Nov 06, 2016
omonnakoda:
Once again I agree with your second paragraph almost100% No one knows where the word Yoruba comes from( There is no language like Hausa/Fulani but we can accept any theory it does not matter. Germans do not call themselves German

I am on record as haviing said that before on Nairaland I am sure I have done so on more than 5 threads so no argument there. The Yoruba identity is a very new one. If all so called Yorubas identified as such no one would have called Oyo an Empire
In fact The "Yoruba" in Benin republic are called Anago not Yoruba .I have said this countless times on Nairaland
Language is not what identifies a people though it can be very important

Actually it does. Language is used to identify or classify related peoples together. Historical patterns of migrations are very complex that if we were to base identity based on who and what settled where, forget it there would be no collective group consciousness. Early Europeans in Africa knew this and thus for simplicity, used language as a basis of grouping related people together. The English people did not come from one source. The English people are made up of different germanic tribes such as the angles, the saxons, the jutes etc. Also the french, welsh, italians etc. settled in England as well and all these people make up the people known as English people today because they all speak English. Going by your line of reasoning, 'English people' should not exist because their ancestors came from different places - jutes, saxons, angles etc. Now let me ask you, how then should we identify them? Would the world not be a confused place without language classifications that allow for ease of identity?

Worldwide, language is used to classify people together. The Chinese people are called Chinese because they speak the Chinese language. Between the borders of China and India a lot of migrations occurred long before these countries were formed. However, these migrants have been long assimilated into their new environments now that they belong to their new areas/countries. The mexicans, argentinans etc. are often referred to as 'hispanic' because they speak the spanish language however, majority of these people are mixed breed of several antive american tribes and spanish colonialists from spain. Why are they referred to as hispanic? Again because of the language. Many people barely know that not only spanish is spoken in mexico. Many native american languages are still spoken in mexico till today. However, these people are bilingual in spanish as well and are collectively referred to as 'hispanic'.

So understand that history is not as static as a, b, c. People crossed borders and linguistic boundaries into new environments and settled there and assimilated. Thus the worldwide consensus is to use native language for classification for the ease of identity, though there are few exceptions under this rule.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by laudate: 7:57pm On Nov 06, 2016
Igboid:
Lol!

AkinEgba, AkinPhysicist, Laudate. You bore me.

An objective report in Vanguard is a small report, but those given by Igalas minorities who are dragging Ette are big reports? Hehe!

I mean, how can anybody take the opinions of Igalas on this issue as an objective one? It takes a treacherous Afonja like you to do such. What were you expecting Igalas in Ette and those in Kogi to say? That they are minorities in Etteh:-/

Lordlexy is an indigene of Ette, his opinion on the issue weights more than those of Igalas from Kogi and Edo here. That very much is rational.

What flaws in my line of thought? I had provided rebuttals to all iansweet, Omo Igala, Revolva relevant posts and arguments here, using relevant examples when necessary, neutral folks here can see that easily. So I wonder where you are manufacturing your own flaws.

AkinEgba you can whine as much as you want, but the fact is that your Afonja self have been busted and the more you drag it on, the more you make public disgrace of yourself.

I knew you would respond with more inanities and dig yourself deeper into the pit of falsehood and deceit with your rejoinder. The only person that has succeeded in making a public spectacle & disgracing himself, is YOU!! sad The Vanguard article does NOT even mention which group is in the majority, and which one is a minority, so how did you reach your own conclusion?

You are Anioma yet you often speak for larger Igbo groups and other Nd'Igbo communities that are not even located near your own hometown.

But you feel OmoIgala, Iansweet & Revolva who are bona-fide Igala indigenes have no right to make comments about an Igala community like Ette? shocked Do you see how hypocritical your stance is?

PS: I still don't know what you hope to gain by calling me an Afonja, when I have nothing in common with his people. Should I remind you that there are over 150 ethnic groups in Nigeria? Or let me guess... you flunked history in high school, so there is no way you would know this little bit of information. cheesy

As for your obsession with AkinEgba, it is hilarious. grin I am tired of repeating myself that I have nothing in common with the guy. Now you have added another person's name to the mix - AkinPhysicist. Who are these people? Your gay lovers? Oya, confess .... I promise to keep your secrets, secret! Scouts' honour. cheesy I can see that thoughts of AkinEgba & whats-his-name AkinPhysicist consume your mind. Sorry, o!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by omonnakoda: 8:00pm On Nov 06, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Actually it does. Language is used to identify or classify related peoples together. Historical patterns of migrations are very complex that if we were to base identity based on who and what settled where, forget it there would be no collective group consciousness. Early Europeans in Africa knew this and thus for simplicity, used language as a basis of grouping related people together. The English people did not come from one source. The English people are made up of different germanic tribes such as the angles, the saxons, the jutes etc. Also the french, welsh, italians etc. settled in England as well and all these people make up the people known as English people today because they all speak English. Going by your line of reasoning, 'English people' should not exist because their ancestors came from different places - jutes, saxons, angles etc. Now let me ask you, how then should we identify them? Would the world not be a confused place without language classifications that allow for ease of identity?

Worldwide, language is used to classify people together. The Chinese people are called Chinese because they speak the Chinese language. Between the borders of China and India a lot of migrations occurred long before these countries were formed. However, these migrants have been long assimilated into their new environments now that they belong to their new areas/countries. The mexicans, argentinans etc. are often referred to as 'hispanic' because they speak the spanish language however, majority of these people are mixed breed of several antive american tribes and spanish colonialists from spain. Why are they referred to as hispanic? Again because of the language. Many people barely know that not only spanish is spoken in mexico. Many native american languages are still spoken in mexico till today. However, these people are bilingual in spanish as well and are collectively referred to as 'hispanic'.

So understand that history is not as static as a, b, c. People crossed borders and linguistic boundaries into new environments and settled there and assimilated. Such h
So you and I and many Nigerians should be called English or Jamaicans called English because they are English speaking? That is the sum of your juvenile logic. There is more to ethnicity than language. The speaker has to identify with the index identity . Do Mexicans refer to THEMSELVES as Hispanic.
This is just a classification of convenience WITHIN the USA No one introduces themselves as "HISPANIC"

Because Yorubas or Hausas call Igbos; Nna or Yamiri does that identify them?? How many Hausa introduce themselves as"AB0KI"?
You are very low in brain power I am afraid and cannot reason critically but then a calculator is not a pentium 4 engine
Welsh people are aboriginal and ARE NOT settlers nor known as English but today very few of the can still speak Welsh the same is true of the Irish in Ireland but that does not make them English

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 8:07pm On Nov 06, 2016
omonnakoda:
Sow you and I and many Nigerians should be called English or Jamaicans called English because they are English speaking? That is the sum of your juvenile logic. There is more to ethnicity than language. The speaker has to identify with the index identity . Do Mexicans refer to THEMSELVES as Hispanic.
This is just a classification of convenience WITHIN the USA No one introduces themselves as "HISPANIC"

Because Yorubas or Hausas call Igbos; Nna or Yamiri does that identify them?? You are very low in brain power I am afraid and cannot reason critically but then a calculator is not a pentium 4 engine

That's different because there are no English settlers in Nigeria. The English people did not settle in Nigeria. Moreover we do not speak English as our native language. We have our respective native languages. For the people of England, English is their native language and they claim ancestry from different tribes of Germany - angles, saxons and jutes. Time after time you keep bringing up irrelevant examples that lack any useful meaning.

Yes, hispanic people here refer to themselves as hispanic or latino/latina interchangeably. There is a hispanic heritage month every year during which all the hispanics in the US come out to celebrate their hispanic heritage. I have some of them as friends and co-workers. Stop making up false claims you cannot back up.

Hian, you lack deep comprehension ability I swear. Being called 'nna' or 'yamiri' is a derogatory term and it does not relate in anyway to being called Igbo because you speak Igbo language. The Igbos do not speak 'nna' language or 'yamiri' language so that's the difference! Get that into your blocked head! Tribal identity according to linguistic classification, I mean being classified by the native language that you speak! Hispanic because you speak Spanish as native language! English people because they speak English as native language! Remember that an English person is someone from England and not from America or anywhere else! Ewe because you speak Ewe language! This is most especially in areas that did not undergo cultural strapping or where a foreign language was imposed on them!

You are the one who lacks reasoning and exposure. Please travel out and widen your mindset. Arguing from the 4 walls of your bedroom does not make you 'educated'. Gosh.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Igboid: 8:14pm On Nov 06, 2016
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 8:15pm On Nov 06, 2016
laudate:

Which articles state that the Igbo are in the majority in Ette community? Provide the source/url. When was a census conducted in that area to determine this?

Where did you get the info that the pro-Kogi part of the community is only 1/3 of the state? shocked Three languages were mentioned. Details of the ancestry of the entire Ette community was not even stated. The population of each group was not even stated. I am yet to hear that a census was conducted in that area, and you have already jumped to the conclusion that the one group is 1/3 of the population.

You also stated that the article confirms Ette to be Igbo-speaking as there are 'Igbo-speaking sections' of the town. Point of correction. The article says there is an Igbo-speaking part of the town. It does NOT say the entire town is Igbo-speaking.

@bold...what is the difference? Half-baked graduates of Nigerian universities. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by omonnakoda: 8:16pm On Nov 06, 2016
bigfrancis21:

That's different because there are no English settlers in Nigeria. The English people did not settle in Nigeria. Moreover we do not speak English as our native language. We have our respective native languages. For the people of England, English is their native language and they claim ancestry from different tribes of Germany - angles, saxons and jutes. Time after time you keep bringing up irrelevant examples that lack any useful meaning.

Yes, hispanic people here refer to themselves as hispanic or latino/latina interchangeably. There is a hispanic heritage month every year during which all the hispanics in the US come out to celebrate their hispanic heritage. I have some of them as friends and co-workers. Stop making up false claims you cannot back up.
You are the one who lacks reasoning and exposure. Please travel out and widen your mindset. Arguing from the 4 walls of your bedroom does not make you 'educated'. Gosh.

GOSH indeed!!
We cannot be talking about a people in Diaspora or are we. We are talking about people in THEIR HOMELANDS not so called Hispanics in the US

Nobody in Mexico will introduce himself as a Hispanic that is absurd

English did not settle in Nigeria true .We have records. We do not have any records about what happened in the places that are the subject of this thread Igalaland

You are the one making up stories about Igbo DNA

The fact of the matter is if we are interested in a people and how they identify themselves we go there and we ASK THEM.

The word "HISPANIC" is an English word not a Spanish one and it is not used b any nationality as a self identifier

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Igboid: 8:18pm On Nov 06, 2016
laudate:

You are Anioma yet you often speak for larger Igbo groups and other Nd'Igbo communities that are not even located near your own hometown.

But you feel OmoIgala, Iansweet & Revolva who are bona-fide Igala indigenes have no right to make comments about an Igala community like Ette? shocked Do you see how hypocritical your stance is?

Confused AkinEgba, you bore me. Lol
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Igboid: 8:19pm On Nov 06, 2016
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by omonnakoda: 8:20pm On Nov 06, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Hian, you lack deep comprehension ability I swear. Being called 'nna' or 'yamiri' is a derogatory term and it does not relate in anyway to being called Igbo because you speak Igbo language. The Igbos do not speak 'nna' language or 'yamiri' language so that's the difference! Get that into your blocked head! Tribal identity according to linguistic classification, I mean being classified by the native language that you speak! Hispanic because you speak Spanish as native language! English people because they speak English as native language! Remember that an English person is someone from England and not from America or anywhere else! Ewe because you speak Ewe language! This is most especially in areas that did not undergo cultural strapping or where a foreign language was imposed on them!

Do Hispanics speak Hispanic language? In the USA Hispanics may be black or ANY ethnicity/te .Where does that put your DNA Theory because some black Hispanics may have your so called Igbo DNA??

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by laudate: 8:21pm On Nov 06, 2016
Igboid:
Confused human being. Lol

Haba!! You are the one wallowing in confusion. Make you check am, now... undecided

Igboid:
Confused AkinEgba, you bore me. Lol

This AkinEgba fellow must have really done a number on you, for you to be so obsessed with thoughts of him. Your waking moments are consumed with thoughts of the chap. It is so clear in all your responses. You just can't stop chanting his name. Am sure everyone can see the passion you have for him... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 8:23pm On Nov 06, 2016
omonnakoda:

GOSH indeed!!
We cannot be talking about a people in Diaspora or are we. We are talking about people in THEIR HOMELANDS not so called Hisanics in the US

Nobody in Mexico will introduce himself as a Hispanic that is absurd

English did not settle in Nigeria true .We have records. We do not have any records about what happened in the places that are the subject of this thread Igalaland

You are the one making u stories about Igbo DNA

The fact of the matter is if we are interested in a people and how they identify themselves we go there and we ASK THEM.

The word "HISPANIC" is an English word not a Spanish one and it is not used b any nationality as a self identifier

Hispanic/latino are used interchangeably to refer to anyone who speaks spanish as native language regardless of race. Does it occur to you that mexico is made up of native whites, mixed spanish-native american, native americans and blacks but they all speak spanish as native language? And they are all referred to as hispanic or latino/latina solely because of the spoken language?

If whites decide to settle in Igboland and by their 3rd generations they speak Igbo language as native language and bear Igbo surnames and name etc., they would have become Igbos by linguistic classification.

Do you now see here that you are not making any sense at all by disputing the basis of spoken native language for collective tribal grouping?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by laudate: 8:23pm On Nov 06, 2016
bigfrancis21:
@bold...what is the difference? Half-baked graduates of Nigerian universities. grin grin

I can see that you are obviously referring to yourself. Still waiting for the url to ALL those articles you mentioned. wink
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by omonnakoda: 8:25pm On Nov 06, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Hispanic/latino are used interchangeably to refer to anyone who speaks spanish as native language regardless of race. Does it occur to you that mexico is made up of native whites, mixed spanish-native american, native americans and blacks but they all speak spanish as native language? And they are all referred to as hispanic or latino/latina solely because of the spoken language?

If whites decide to settle in Igboland and by their 3rd generations they speak Igbo language as native language and bear Igbo surnames and name etc., they would have become Igbos by linguistic classification.

Do you now see here that you are not making any sense at all by disputing the basis of spoken native language for collective tribal grouping?
so is it the speaking of the language or where they live> Spanish speakers in the US are Hispanic and English speakers in Nigeria are...........?
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by omonnakoda: 8:26pm On Nov 06, 2016
Those Nigerians who can only speak English are ..............

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by omonnakoda: 8:28pm On Nov 06, 2016
Why aren't English speaking Americans called English?
Ditto for German speaking Swiss or Austrians>

Why are Singaporeans not called English?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 8:28pm On Nov 06, 2016
omonnakoda:
Do Hispanics speak Hispanic language? In the USA Hispanics may be black or ANY ethnicity/te .Where does that put your DNA Theory because some black Hispanics may have your so called Igbo DNA??

You lack reasoning I swear. Hispanic = Hi + spanish. In reference to the spanish language spoken. Okpo. grin

Yes, maybe a few of the hispanic blacks are descendants of Igbo slaves, and if that's the case yes they have Igbo DNA/ancestry but are regarded as hispanic today because they speak the spanish language as native language. That is the point I have been trying to make.

I've come across several spanish-speaking blacks from latin america. One black woman I know at a grocery where I often buy stuffs does not speak a word of English and only Spanish.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 8:30pm On Nov 06, 2016
omonnakoda:
so is it the speaking of the language or where they live> Spanish speakers in the US are Hispanic and English speakers in Nigeria are...........?

You lack reasoning indeed. Spanish speakers in the US speak spanish as their native language and are thus hispanic people. They are not spanish people because they do not come from spain but are hispanic/latino/latina because spanish is their native language. Haba. Is that hard for you to understand??
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 8:33pm On Nov 06, 2016
omonnakoda:

omonnakoda:
Why aren't English speaking Americans called English?
Ditto for German speaking Swiss or Austrians>

Why are Singaporeans not called English?

Hahah. He has run out of useful points. Indicative of half-baked Nigerian graduates.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by omonnakoda: 8:34pm On Nov 06, 2016
bigfrancis21:

You lack reasoning I swear indeed. Spanish speakers in the US speak spanish as their native language and are thus hispanic people. They are not spanish people because they do not come from spain but are hispanic/latino/latina because spanish is their native language. Haba. Is that hard for you to understand??
We are not talking about people in the diaspora but people in their homeland.Whatever happens in the US is interesting but not relevant

Do Mexicans in Mexico,Cubans in Cuba,Argentines in Argentina identify as Hispanic?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 8:39pm On Nov 06, 2016
ianSweet:

Seriously i wonder why u guys love to claim everything to be igbo. This is why many minority tribes call u guys land grabbers.
Igbo is a large tribe and as such would have influenced their neighbouring minority tribes. Almost every one in Borno and Yobe states speak hausa as a 2nd language, due to hausa influence but hausas will not claim these places as hausa land.
Most Nupe and Bariba people in Kwara and Niger speak yoruba fluently (especially at the boundary areas) as an additional language, Ogori magongo people of Kogi answer mostly yoruba names and speak yoruba as an additional language but yorubas never claim them as part of yoruba land.

If most minority tribes around igbos adopt igbo as a second language, i think u guys should see it as a plus and an increasing territorial influence of your language and try to work out some sort of social integration with these tribes. This will not work by claiming these people who speak your language as Igbos. It will only lead to arguments.
Hausas never claim other northern minority groups as hausas, all they did was to find a general name AREWA which helped to define all northernerns.
That is what u igbos should do instead of looking for ways to claim or argue with your neighbouring minority tribes on tribal areas. Things like this will only make your minority neighbouring tribes dread and resent u the more.

I have seen igbos arguing with Edos here over Igbanke, i have seen u guys arguing here with ijaws over Opobo and Bonny, u guys arguing over Benue igbos, arguing over Anioma, Ikwerre and even Akwa Ibom and Cross river. This is just terrible.
How many times have u guys seen yorubas arguing with Nupes, Egbirras, Baribas, Edos, Ogoris e.t.c over tribal boundaries? We igalas even speak a yoruboid language which many yorubas can understand to an extent, but they have never claimed us.

Many minority tribes in the south may speak Igbo as second language but they are not Igbos. By this I refer to the Ijaws, Ogonis etc. However, if by minority tribes you refer to Delta Igbos and Rivers Igbos that speak Igbo as native language, your argument in this case is not solid.

Coming to the west, the case of Ogori Magongo, Nupe, Bariba etc. speaking yoruba as second language can be likened to the case in Hausa land where several northern minority tribes speak Hausa as second language or as in the south where some minority tribes speak Igbo as second language such as kalabari, andoni, okirika people etc. However Nupes, Baribas, Ogoris etc. are not Yorubas because they have their native language which is not Yoruba, same for the minority tribes in the North who have their respective languages and also for the Kalabaris, Andonis etc. who are not Igbos because they have their own native languages. This is different from Igbo-speaking peoples in the Niger delta such as Etche, Obigbo, Ndoki, Ndoni, Oshimili, Asaba etc. who speak Igbo as native language. Please do not confuse the two.

The case of Hausa in the North is different. These people speak Hausa as a second language and they all have their own native languages but they are not Hausa. This is not the same for Delta Igbos or Rivers Igbo that speak Igbo language as their native language. That's the difference here.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by laudate: 8:41pm On Nov 06, 2016
omonnakoda:

...Englishmen!! cheesy QED! cool
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 8:46pm On Nov 06, 2016
omonnakoda:

Westernized or ajebutters. grin
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by omonnakoda: 8:54pm On Nov 06, 2016
And Jamaicans

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by laudate: 8:59pm On Nov 06, 2016
@ Iansweet, OmoIgala & Revolva:

Here is another article from the same Vanguard Newspaper about Ette community, that was written in 2011. Are there two different Ette communities? Is there an Ette community in Kogi State, and is there a separate Ette community in Enugu state?

Kindly confirm. undecided

VANGUARD:
... We’re not part of Enugu State – Ette community By George Onah Port Harcourt ON MAY 3, 2011 | 12:37 | NEWS | COMMENTS

The leadership of Ette community in Olamaboro local government area of Kogi State has rejected newspaper publications that it belongs to Igbo-Eze North local government of Enugu State.

The reaction is sequel to the destruction that greeted the Igala-speaking community after a politician, Mr. Tony Ogidi, was declared winner as candidate for Igbo-Eze North, to represent Ette community in Enugu State House of Assembly rather than Kogi State.

In a 14-page document made available to Vanguard in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, from Crownfield Solicitors, the group said: “Ette community is not and has never been a community in Enugu State.

“The fielding of Tony Ogidi, who claims Ette as his origin by the Enugu State political and administrative hierarchy as candidate for Igbo-Eze North 11 constituency in Enugu State House of Assembly is not only tendentious, but also an exercise in mischief making.

“We are equally at sea where the publication got the figure of 200 as voters in the community, when it is well known that members of the community did not register in Enugu State as they voted their leaders in Kogi State during the elections.” Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/were-not-part-of-enugu-state-ette-community/

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 9:18pm On Nov 06, 2016
omonnakoda:
And Jamaicans

afro caribbean grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 9:25pm On Nov 06, 2016
Joephat:
I have this idioma friend here in cross river state. each time he talks with his ppl on phone I will be surprise at how manage he speaks the same language with me.

I am from Enugu-ezike of Enugu state and I have the same surname with idioma ppl. that my surname is Idoko.

Please can you tell us more about this? I know he is Idoma but which state in Nigeria is he from? Which of Igbo dialects is his 'spoken Idoma' closest to?
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 9:27pm On Nov 06, 2016
onoja12:
For education purposes,this is trash,from the history of the odolu area you would discover that is was an igala general who resided in those areas that formed the make up of those villages,igala is the number one language undisputed especially in Akpanya.igbo is mostly a second language because most of the women married into those community are from enugu and environs this is so that brothers do not marry sister due to the close relationship of everybody and for closing since i know the aim behind this post. let me state that igala land has been reduced to a small state the igalas have once conquered more than half of present day igbo land ,there are many igala speaking tribes in igbo land from delta to anambra and so on .but is most me noted that by marriage the igalas have been made very close to the igbo so much so that the next highest King to the Atta Igala which is the ACHODU has igbo blood

Nope, both online and oral sources say that Igbo is the spoken language in akpanya and the natives do not speak Igala except they travel out of their village into the Igala interior. The Igbo language spoken there is not likely due to intermarriage but due to the fact that the people there are most likely Igbos by ancestry.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 9:35pm On Nov 06, 2016
Igboid:
With the kind of inferiority complex these Igbo border communities exhibit. I am sure that if this Nupe general, Adukwu invaded Enugwu Ezike a century before the colonials came with written records.

Adukwu would have formed a kingdom out of Enugwu Ezike and infused many Nupe words for governance in the monarchy stool.
And Enugu Ezike oral story will now be telling us how Ezike people were Nupes who became Igbos with no trace of Nupe language whatsoever remaining today. That their founding father, Adukwu was a Nupe Prince who migrated with their people to their present abode.
When the truth is that he was an invader who met an already Igbo speaking Enugu Ezike people on ground.

Even at that, Enugwu Ezike is still running and trying to claim Bini origin. When it is well known that Enugwu Ezike migrated from Enugwu Ukwu.

This inferiority complex and need to attach to non Igbo origin by Igbo speaking groups is becoming embarrassing.

Growing up, I have always known the Enugwu Ezike people to have migrated from Enugwu-ukwu, just as the Nsukka people are of Nri origin in Anambra state. The whole bini claim is very new, probably because of the word 'oba' in their town name (while forgetting there's an 'oba' in Anambra state and 'oba' in Igbo means several things such as 'yam barn' etc.) thus the writer of such history thinks it must relate to the Oba of Bini of sorts. It is crazy. They are from Enugwu-ukwu, and notice how the writer, unable to deny their EU origins, tried to rope or link their EU origin to bini by claiming that their ancestors first settled in EU before migrating to Enugu Ezike. Meanwhile, there is no oral story of bini migration or settlement in EU, my village. So how come the bini settlement claim in EU to Enugwu Ezike? All these we know are thrash anyway. No history of Enugu Ezike written more than 3 to 5 years ago indicates Bini ancestry.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by laudate: 9:41pm On Nov 06, 2016
Duplicated post wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuaere, Arrives Abuja In His Rolls Royce And Private Jet / Blood Money: How Real Is It: Share Ur Stories. / Okrika Iria Ceremony For Virgins Commences (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.