Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,173 members, 7,821,979 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? (1890 Views)

Howard Sueing III Ekundayo: American Man Adopts Nigerian Wife’s Surname / Pls...how Can I Get Divorced From My 2 Years Marriage From Ministry Of Women Aff / My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Nov 03, 2016
No one wishes to have a failed marriage. But, in the event of a divorce, ladies, would you go back to answering your father's name, or keep your ex-husband's name? Guys, would you let her keep your last name?

Personally, when I get married, I'd either have my last name hyphenated with his, or I'd keep mine. But I'm not dropping my last name.

So, if the marriage goes south, I'd still have my name.

Ladies and gentlemen, let's have your candid views. smiley

Cc: Dyt, Ifyalways, Mimzyy
Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by oloyede252(m): 8:07pm On Nov 03, 2016
so you are already planning you marital doom.well done

12 Likes

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by automatix: 8:07pm On Nov 03, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Nov 03, 2016
oloyede252:

I believe I said "if". English can't be that hard.

10 Likes

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by TheArchangel(f): 8:20pm On Nov 03, 2016
oloyede252:
It is part of plan B.

1 Like

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by oloyede252(m): 8:21pm On Nov 03, 2016
LadyMercedes:

I believe I said "if". English can't be that hard.
English can't be that hard. "if" in that your post means you already have the thought of your marital failure at heart so you are just been pro active in your actions by the time you get divorced.
please don't get married with this kinda of mindset even of you wanna use your father's name that a silly reason to justify your action.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Viking007(m): 8:23pm On Nov 03, 2016
LadyMercedes:
No one wishes to have a failed marriage. But, in the event of a divorce, ladies, would you go back to answering your father's name, or keep your ex-husband's name? Guys, would you let her keep your last name?

Personally, when I get married, I'd either have my last name hyphenated with his, or I'd keep mine. But I'm not dropping my last name.

So, if the marriage goes south,
@Bolded is not Your decision to make. What happens if Your husband refuses?

1 Like

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 03, 2016
Viking007:
@Bolded is not Your decision to make. What happens if Your husband refuses?

Whether I choose to keep my name, or not isn't the question here. That's something we'd discuss BEFORE settling down. smiley

As a man, in the event of a divorce, would you mind your ex wife keeping your name?
Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Viking007(m): 8:44pm On Nov 03, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Whether I choose to keep my name, or not isn't the question here. That's something we'd discuss BEFORE settling down. smiley

As a man, in the event of a divorce, would you mind your ex wife keeping your name?
She's obviously going to change her name. And might even get married to someone else.
So whether she keeps my name or deletes it, cry e no concern me.
Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Nov 03, 2016
You will use your father's surname in the event of a divorce.

1 Like

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Mimzyy(f): 8:47pm On Nov 03, 2016
Viking007:
She's obviously going to change her name. And might even get married to someone else.

Ok good!!! You'll see my lawyer soon. Mschewwwww undecided
Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Nov 03, 2016
Viking007:

grin grin
Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Mimzyy(f): 8:49pm On Nov 03, 2016
LadyMercedes, in the event of a divorce that has been finalized . I think it's better the lady goes back to her maiden name so as not to mess things up. Cos eventually, she's gonna remarry so what's the point in holding on to another man's name?

7 Likes

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Viking007(m): 8:51pm On Nov 03, 2016
Mimzyy:

Ok good!!! You'll see my lawyer soon. Mschewwwww undecided
Haba Mimzyy, I'm only joking na. I'm deleting that comment asap. sad

[size=2pt]who dash You lawyer. Mtsheww[/size]
Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Nov 03, 2016
oloyede252:

English can't be that hard. "if" in that your post means you already have the thought of your marital failure at heart so you are just been pro active in your actions by the time you get divorced.
please don't get married with this kinda of mindset even of you wanna use your father's name that a silly reason to justify your action.

Nigerians NEVER cease to amaze me. Whether I choose to keep my last name, is not the topic of discussion o. I simply gave my opinion.

And no, I'm not keeping my last name because I'm planning to get divorced. I'm keeping it for personal reasons, which my husband to be and I would discuss before settling down. smiley

2 Likes

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by sisisioge: 8:57pm On Nov 03, 2016
I think its better to revert to her maiden name. That way, life could just go on for her as if the guy was never there...

By the way, open minded folks could just retain their maiden names as their middle name when they get married. This is because the guy might really have a problem with the babe hyphenating his last name with hers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Nov 03, 2016
Mimzyy:
LadyMercedes, in the event of a divorce that has been finalized . I think it's better the lady goes back to her maiden name so as not to mess things up. Cos eventually, she's gonna remarry so what's the point in holding on to another man's name?

Exactly. Besides, why would anyone want a constant reminder of a failed marriage? undecided
Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 03, 2016
Viking007:

Oho! So ya cheating on me ba? You'll meet me at home! Mtsheeeew!

1 Like

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Mimzyy(f): 9:03pm On Nov 03, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Interesting, Viking007 come and explain urself angry

1 Like

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Mimzyy(f): 9:05pm On Nov 03, 2016
Viking007:

Lolzz. Who dash me lawyer ba? Just wait and see. I'm moving my stuffs tonight sad
Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Viking007(m): 9:11pm On Nov 03, 2016
LadyMercedes:

My enemies have won, I wanted ignoring this thread fa. I can explain embarassed
Mimzyy, I cnt reply You anymore, I've been banned. Good night.

3 Likes

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Mimzyy(f): 9:13pm On Nov 03, 2016
Viking007:

Good night here and there undecided. Ladymercedes I'm coming for u o cry grin

1 Like

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Nov 03, 2016
Viking007:

Bia, enyi nwoke, find where you'll sleep tonight o. Toasting another chic on my thread. Don't come home tonight!

1 Like

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 03, 2016
sisisioge:
I think its better to revert to her maiden name. That way, life could just go on for her as if the guy was never there...

By the way, open minded folks could just retain their maiden names as their middle name when they get married. This is because the guy might really have a problem with the babe hyphenating his last name with hers.

You have a valid point there. However, it may not be that easy. What if there are kids? There might be a tussle of who answers what.

2 Likes

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Mimzyy(f): 9:24pm On Nov 03, 2016
LadyMercedes:

You have a valid point there. However, it may not be that easy. What if there are kids? There might be a tussle of who answers what.

The child(ren) will maintain their father's name .
Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by sisisioge: 9:27pm On Nov 03, 2016
LadyMercedes:

If there are kids and the woman is past the age where she wanna marry again, then she could keep his name.Like Mo Abudu...

If she's still young and hopeful about getting married again, she's better off losing his name while his kids, of course, keep theirs.

All in all, the children's names remain same regardless.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by oloyede252(m): 9:35pm On Nov 03, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Nigerians NEVER cease to amaze me. Whether I choose to keep my last name, is not the topic of discussion o. I simply gave my opinion.

And no, I'm not keeping my last name because I'm planning to get divorced. I'm keeping it for personal reasons, which my husband to be and I would discuss before settling down. smiley
lady I was only responding to your opinion.
the question you asked is very simple with straight forward answer which is you go back to using your father's name.

for the rest of your post you are Just contradicting yaself.
Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by oloyede252(m): 9:39pm On Nov 03, 2016
TheArchangel:
It is part of plan B.
we are saying the same thing
Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Nov 03, 2016
You are on your own for that future divorce o.
I don't want to even contemplate, or think, or visualize, or imagine or calculate what name to fall back on, in the event of divorce...
Cos I ain't divorcing mehn
No need talking about it sef

Thread closed!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Nobody: 1:40am On Nov 04, 2016
Amelian:
[s]You are on your own for that future divorce o.
I don't want to even contemplate, or think, or visualize, or imagine or calculate what name to fall back on, in the event of divorce...
Cos I ain't divorcing mehn
No need talking about it sef

Thread closed! [/s]

2 Likes

Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by Acidosis(m): 7:56am On Nov 04, 2016
It is traditionally correct and expected of you to bear your husband's name. What happens in the event of a divorce is left for you to figure out.

If you must do a traditional (Nigerian) marriage, you must accept the patterns.

A married name is a family name or surname adopted by a person upon marriage.

If your husband-to-be refuses to pay bride price and every other traditional-centric demand, would you accept his views?
Re: If You Get Divorced, Whose Surname Would You Rather Use? by jmoore(m): 8:06am On Nov 04, 2016
Why bear the surname of one you are no longer married to?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Barren Wife Allows Hubby Have Sex With Another Lady. [photos] / My Dad Is Losing Confidence In Himself As My Father. How Should I Deal With It? / Is Your Inverter Battery Set Not Lasting Long?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.