Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,898 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:56 PM

I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! (6467 Views)

Whistleblowers Arrested Over False Information About Governor Dickson's Brother / Tompolo Speaks From Hiding, Says: ‘JTF Will Pay For My Father’s Death’ / Britain To Release Information About Nigerian Property Owners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by OPCNAIRALAND: 8:30am On Nov 04, 2016
If anyone have detailed history and records of this King Id like to read it. This King Kosoko has been spoken about but literature about his deeds are very scanty. Guys, read the second paragraph of this letter written and signed by no other person than British Consul John Beecroft.

Who has ever heard of a white man, a colonialist at that, being scared of an African King, and giving thanks to God for making his escape from the King's snatch possible? grin grin. This is drama of a new order. I am bewildered by this. I just have never seen anything like it.

This King is the same person Portuguese sailors wrote that his debtors in Brazil were so scared of him that on arrival at the bay they would drop his name to intimidate slave importers and get their demands fulfilled.

Naptu, I know you will have info about this your King in Lagos. I need details about him, books, articles, I dont mind paying.

This is a no nonsense Kabiyesi, must be King Akiolu's grandfather! cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by acenazt: 8:42am On Nov 04, 2016
Oboi evil men no dey get better story.but men like kosoko no even get anything. To be called a vile wretched is like to say hell done dey construct 10 star hotel in your honour

2 Likes

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by OPCNAIRALAND: 8:50am On Nov 04, 2016
acenazt:
Oboi evil men no dey get better story.but men like kosoko no even get anything. To be called a vile wretched is like to say hell done dey construct 10 star hotel in your honour

England did not send men of conscience and piety to come and colonize black men. Do you not see his plot for bombardment of Lagos? Beecroft met his match in Kosoko. grin

7 Likes

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by RZArecta(m): 8:54am On Nov 04, 2016
I'm among those who believe history has to be written by our own people alone. You don't find Ukrainians writing American history for the Americans or Colombians writing Portuguese history. While in primary school, we were taught that Kosoko was a weak king (?) but this letter obviously puts that assertion to shame.
Indigenous history has to be (re) introduced into our educational system and made compulsory at least until JSS 3

10 Likes

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by stinggy(m): 9:16am On Nov 04, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND Is this Nigerian Handbook? And can I get a soft copy of it?
Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by SirShymexx: 9:33am On Nov 04, 2016
stinggy:

Two sources:

- Nigeria Under British Rule (1927) By Sir William M.N. Geary.

- John Beecroft, 1790—1854: Her Brittanica Majesty's Consul to the Bights of Benin and Biafra 1849—1854 by K. O. Dike

The second one is a journal and you can read it for free on jstor.org.
Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by SirShymexx: 9:41am On Nov 04, 2016
I honestly don't see anything special about Kosoko and all the Yoruba kings of that era who were involved in selling their own folks to the white men. Didn't you see how he wiped out his own extended family (over 2000 souls) cos of the crown? What type of wicked animal is that especially when you put in consideration the total population of the people back then.

I honestly don't think white folks feared him - they just knew he was a power-drunk blood thirsty psycho who would kill anyone for the sake of it. He was also a coward, hence his arse took off to Epe, on his knees, before he was given asylum there under the protection of the Awujale. Why did he run when they came for that arse?

Anyway, the only telling thing in his story is that: the Egbas were very instrumental in his defeat. The Egbas during that era had the best relationship with the brits cos they were supplying them munitions and war strategy - in return for their loyalty. Hence they were the first Yorubas to fully accept Christianity. And they also helped in spreading Christianity all over Yorubaland.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by AuroraB(f): 9:48am On Nov 04, 2016
stinggy:
Eheeeehn! Na the kain thing wey you dey like. Lol grin
Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by LordAdam: 9:52am On Nov 04, 2016
SirShymexx:
I honestly don't see anything special about Kosoko and all the Yoruba kings of that era who were involved in selling their own folks to the white men. Didn't you see how he wiped out his own extended family (over 2000 souls) cos of the crown? What type of wicked animal is that especially when you put in consideration the total population of the people back then.

I honestly don't think white folks feared him - they just knew he was a power-drunk blood thirsty psycho who would kill anyone for the sake of it. He was also a coward, hence his arse took off to Epe, on his knees, before he was given asylum there under the protection of the Awujale. Why did he run when they came for that arse?

Anyway, the only telling thing in his story is that: the Egbas were very instrumental in his defeat. The Egbas during that era had the best relationship with the brits cos they were supplying them munitions and war strategy - in return for their loyalty. Hence they were the first Yorubas to fully accept Christianity. And they also helped in spreading Christianity all over Yorubaland.

It was the times.

From the banks of Eko to the banks of the River Nile to Europe, the rest of the New World and Asia. New kings often killed off the competition, else they'd have their head on a plate someday.

So Kosoko's case is not something special. I think the King of Nembe who sacked a colonial outpost, kidnapped the whites, and ate them (when his demands were not meant) was more forward. But he too felt the full wrath of the Great British Empire.

It is very important to read history with a considerate lens.

-Lord

5 Likes

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by OPCNAIRALAND: 9:54am On Nov 04, 2016
Hey Shymmex,
Get me all you can about this King. Its so much distortion about him in books and records but to hear direct from the one person who had close contact and a near-death encounter in his hands is priceless! I believed in what I read of him prior but, as shared by RZ, this signed letter shattered my belief, makes me suspicious now of what garbage has been taught to me about history of Nigeria.

Im dumbfounded! When they say the dead speak in their own defense, this is it here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by OAUTemitayo: 9:56am On Nov 04, 2016
You must be seeing Egbas in your dream

1 Like

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by SirShymexx: 9:59am On Nov 04, 2016
LordAdam:

It was the times.

From the banks of Eko to the banks of the River Nile to Europe, the rest of the New World and Asia. New kings often killed off the competition, else they'd have their head on a plate someday.

So Kosoko's case is not something special. I think the King of Nembe who sacked a colonial outpost, kidnapped the whites, and ate them (when his demands were not meant) was more forward. But he too felt the full wrath of the Great British Empire.

-Lord

Not debating if what he did was special or not. When you you wipe out ya own extended family, including women and kids, especially 2,000 folks out of less than 50,000 people (I doubt the population of Eko back then was up to 50,000) - you can't get a pass from me. Also, all those kings back then who gladly sold their own people to white men, in return for nonsense, can't get any pass from me. All of them were cowards cos when the white man brought war to them - they all crumbled under pressure and were either captured, killed, or exiled. I don't rate these folks.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by SirShymexx: 10:02am On Nov 04, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:
Hey Shymmex,
Get me all you can about this King. Its so much distortion about him in books and records but to hear direct from the one person who had close contact and a near-death encounter in his hands is priceless! I believed in what I read of him prior but, as shared by RZ, this signed letter shattered my belief, makes me suspicious now of what garbage has been taught to me about history of Nigeria.

Im dumbfounded! When they say the dead speak in their own defense, this is it here.

Sir William Geary talked extensively about him in his book with tons of colonial letters.
Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by SirShymexx: 10:07am On Nov 04, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
You must be seeing Egbas in your dream

Lol. Why didn't you quote me? Scared much? grin

Don't turn this into Egbas vs. Ijebus cos Ijebus also sold tons of slaves. However, that doesn't negate my point about the Egbas cos they were instrumental in his defeat. And I believe Akitoye's mum was Egba and that might've also played a role cos he escaped to Abeokuta when Kosoko dethroned him. grin

Egbas loved white men back then and in return, the white man gave them Bible, munitions, and military training. Ever wondered why Ijebus who were the first naij folks to have contacts with white men, were the last to accept Christianity? And when Christianity came to Ijebuland, it came via the Egbas through Remo? grin
Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by LordAdam: 10:07am On Nov 04, 2016
SirShymexx:

Not debating if what he did was special or not. When you you wipe out ya own extended family, including women and kids, especially 2,000 folks out of less than 50,000 people (I doubt the population of Eko back then was up to 50,000) - you can't get a pass from me. Also, all those kings back then who gladly sold their own people to white men, in return for nonsense, can't get any pass from me. All of them were cowards cos when the white man brought war to them - they all crumbled under pressure and were either captured, killed, or exiled. I don't rate these folks.

Truth!

They are no different than the so-called leaders we have today. Fu*k up your fellow country men, but sit like a puppy against the white man (whether it is the West or Arabians).

-Lord

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by OPCNAIRALAND: 10:08am On Nov 04, 2016
LordAdam:

It was the times.

-Lord

Very well said!

In fact, Kosoko purchased back slaves from Bahia, a feat never done by any other King involved in slavery. He purchased back slaves who had learnt artisan trades and commissioned beautification of Lagos. Much of their works were destroyed in the bombardment.
Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by OPCNAIRALAND: 10:10am On Nov 04, 2016
SirShymexx:

Which King did not sell slave or kill numbers of people? None! Bloodshed is part and parcel with power and authority.

2 Likes

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by OPCNAIRALAND: 10:12am On Nov 04, 2016
SirShymexx:

Sir William Geary talked extensively about him in his book with tons of colonial letters.

Whats title?

Thanks bro.
Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by Beremx(f): 10:14am On Nov 04, 2016
Go and ask Jide Kosoko about the king. grin

1 Like

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by OPCNAIRALAND: 10:19am On Nov 04, 2016
Beremx:

That one na yeye. I suspect Akiolu carry that King blood from 1850. Is he not from that lineage?
Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by Beremx(f): 10:20am On Nov 04, 2016
I thought Jide is related to the king kosoko. Is Jide not a Princ
OPCNAIRALAND:

That one na yeye. I suspect Akiolu carry that King blood from 1850. Is he not from that lineage?
Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by LordAdam: 10:21am On Nov 04, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Very well said!

In fact, Kosoko purchased back slaves from Bahia, a feat never done by any other King involved in slavery. He purchased back slaves who had learnt artisan trades and commissioned beautification of Lagos. Much of their works were destroyed in the bombardment.

Let's just say, his brash nature was just a kink in his personality.

Personally, I don't hold brutality against kings of old. Brutality (killing family members, carrying out genocides, quashing dissent ruthlessly) was one of the most effective ways to command respect and allegiance.

It's more about what they did for their state economy-wise. Queen Victoria, the Sun King, even Napoleon were all ruthless rulers. But no one can fault their contributions to the greatness of their respective empires and dynasties.

Even the Persian King that outlawed slavery across his empire was not kind to his adversaries.

-Lord
Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by SirShymexx: 10:23am On Nov 04, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Which King did not sell slave or kill numbers of people? None! Bloodshed is part and parcel with power and authority.

LordAdam:

Truth!

They are no different than the so-called leaders we have today. Fu*k up your fellow country men, but sit like a puppy against the white man (whether it is the West or Arabians).

-Lord

Personally, in as much as I believe that majority of black folks who were enslaved in the new world were captured and a lot of them were already in the Americas, coupled with the ones they took from Europe, after black rule in Iberia collapsed - I think if we're going to call out white for folks for the crimes they committed during slavery, the kings complicit in the act, shouldn't get a pass. They're the reason why we're effed up today as black folks cos if they had shown the type of faux-bravery/power they used in ruling their people to take the war to white folks when they came back for colonisation - we'd be better off today.

They all sold folks for stupid shyte, but when the real war came to defend their kingdoms against colonisation - they couldn't fight. Only Ethiopia was able to fight them off. Ditto those in Kongo, albeit they took heavy losses and later caved in.

Only Akitoye might get a pass from me cos he tried to stop slavery. However, the vested interests denied him.

2 Likes

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by SirShymexx: 10:23am On Nov 04, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Whats title?

Thanks bro.

Nigeria Under British Rule (1927) by By Sir William M.N. Geary
Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by OAUTemitayo: 10:25am On Nov 04, 2016
SirShymexx:

Lol. Why didn't you quote me? Scared much? grin

Don't turn this into Egbas vs. Ijebus cos Ijebus also sold tons of slaves. However, that doesn't negate my point about the Egbas cos they were instrumental in his defeat. And I believe Akitoye's mum was Egba and that might've also played a role cos he escaped to Abeokuta when Kosoko dethroned him. grin

Egbas loved white men back then and in return, the white man gave them Bible, munitions, and military training. Ever wondered why Ijebus who were the first naij folks to have contacts with white men, were the last to accept Christianity? And when Christianity came to Ijebuland, it came via the Egbas through Remo? grin
mtchew

1 Like

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by OPCNAIRALAND: 10:30am On Nov 04, 2016
Beremx:
I thought Jide is related to the king kosoko. Is Jide not a Princ

He is a Prince.
Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by OPCNAIRALAND: 10:39am On Nov 04, 2016
SirShymexx:

Nigeria Under British Rule (1927) by By Sir William M.N. Geary

You rock! cheesy

Berem, im going to fish for this book and read. I want to witness the transactions between natives and their invaders. grin

1 Like

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by LordAdam: 10:41am On Nov 04, 2016
SirShymexx:

Personally, in as much as I believe that majority of black folks who were enslaved in the new world were captured and a lot of them were already in the Americas, coupled with the ones they took from Europe, after black rule in Iberia collapsed - I think if we're going to call out white for folks for the crimes they committed during slavery, the kings complicit in the act, shouldn't get a pass. They're the reason why we're effed up today as black folks cos if they had shown the type of faux-bravery/power they used in ruling their people to take the war to white folks when they came back for colonisation - we'd be better off today.

They all sold folks for stupid shyte, but when the real war came to defend their kingdoms against colonisation - they couldn't fight. Only Ethiopia was able to fight them off. Ditto those in Kongo, albeit they took heavy losses and later caved in.

Only Akitoye might get a pass from me cos he tried to stop slavery. However, the vested interests denied him.

Personally, I don't fault the Europeans. There is nothing the Europeans did that we have not done to ourselves over and over again.

In the height of the Bini empire, a dead Oba was buried with the heads of 2,000 slaves. These slaves were people after sacking a community or after war.

More powerful empires colonized less powerful empires. It has always been the ways of old. Japan colonized China and Korea at some point.

Although the animosity is still there, everyone has moved past that and are getting ahead with their economies (that are now trillion dollar economies by the way) and leaving the terrible events that characterize colonial rule for the history books.

Over here in Africa, we don't want to let it fly, because somehow we believe the rules for us should be different. That India, China that were colonized as late as 70 years ago and are now bigger than the economies of the countries that colonized them are not countries like us.

In fact, our Black chiefs and rulers share equal blame for whatever the colonialists did. And I don't believe black folks are enamored because of the massive slave trade. We are enamored because we're fuc*ed up naturally. It's been 60+ years after the end of the colonial era, why are we still so screwed up as a people.

Why can't we see that as something to spruce us to surprise them. Jews died in their millions during WW2. Today, they have the highest per human capita of any ethnicity on the planet.

Or is it the Japanese and Germans that were humiliated (both in reality and in kind) in WW2 (Germans twice in WW1 and WW2). Until recently, Japan was the dominant economy in Asian, while Germany is still the dominant economy in Europe. It took both countries less than 35 years to get back on their feet.

Maybe we can keep passing the buck about, or we can just seize the bull by the horn. Even Ethiopia and Afghanistan that both have the enviable record of never losing any prolonged battle against outside invaders are far worse than Indians that were pillaged by the Alexander, then the Mughal muslims, then the British.

The Europeans have done more than enough to pay back for their atrocities in Africa. They still send us aid, while our leaders stack our common wealth and same aid in their banks. They gave us bloodless independence. There's limited discrimination (that is decreasing by the day) on the World stage. What the Bleep have we used these privileges for?

-Lord

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by SirShymexx: 10:43am On Nov 04, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
mtchew

Lol, why are you always emotional every time I cite Egba in my posts, like I'm not 1/4 Egba? grin

You can whinge all you want, but you can't wipe out the 1/4 Egba blood flowing in my veins and arteries. And you definitely won't stop me from telling the truth. grin
Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by LordAdam: 10:51am On Nov 04, 2016
SirShymexx:

Lol, why are you always emotional every time I cite Egba in my posts, like I'm not 1/4 Egba? grin

You can whinge all you want, but you can't wipe out the 1/4 Egba blood flowing in my veins and arteries. And you definitely won't stop me from telling the truth. grin

People don't like being told the truth about themselves. They get unnecessarily agitated, emotional, and defensive.

It's not a fun trait. It's like how we in the South like telling ourselves that we are more educated than the North, but yet the North keeps beating us in the game of politics.

What's the use of the education, if the supposed uneducated folks still use us as mops?

Peeps should learn to be objective. It pays. Its why many countries are able to do the reforms they do.

-Lord

3 Likes

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by Mujaheeeden: 11:05am On Nov 04, 2016
SirShymexx:

From your story it can be deduced that Afojanism started with the Egbas

3 Likes

Re: I Will Pay For Detailed Information About This King. Unbelievable!! by Mujaheeeden: 11:10am On Nov 04, 2016
Beremx:
Funny woman.

grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abba Kyari’s Battle With Coronavirus Gets Serious / IG. Aguowo Voted 2021 Humanitarian Of The Year (photos) / Landlords Will Forfeit Homes Without Toilets – Ogun Commissioner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.