Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,682 members, 7,816,787 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School (62654 Views)

How Students Receive Lectures At Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma / Teachers Strip Students Unclad In Cameroon & Flog Them For Coming Late / How Students Write Exams At The American University Of Nigeria (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by SalomonKane: 11:11am On Nov 05, 2016
Tolexander:
This is barbaric!

These children's lateness should be better blamed on their parents, school topography and government.

Seeing the topography of the school, the area seems to be primitive and will likely take these children long distance to trek to school.
Moreover, the soil is wet and muddy. Can't this make the children to be late also?

We talk about being disciplinarian in Africa, yet it is not reflecting in our behavior when we become adult.
That's because the education system have failed in Africa.

There's nothing absolutely barbaric in the picture. Discipline should be enforced in schools. Even if it's not the kids fault, who will discipline the parents.

A kid who likes school will always wake up on time and do what's needed. There's no excuse.

Parents are the sole reason why their kids turn out to be worse than them.
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by MrSly(m): 11:12am On Nov 05, 2016
DropShot:

I'm ashamed of this your post. This is 21st century and there are better ways of instilling discipline than this demeaning and reprehensible method.

I won't accept this punishment or anything close to it for my children from any school.
Mr 21st century, discipline is the watch word if children are to be the leaders of tomorrow. What should they do to them? Flog them? kneel them? subject them to frog jump? Either way champions of 21st century must complain. 21st century is about technology development.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by Handsomecole(m): 11:12am On Nov 05, 2016
Africa!!! Oh!!! Africa!!! Why?? Atimes you begin to ask God why he didn't just drop me in any European country.

1 Like

Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by babyfaceafrica: 11:14am On Nov 05, 2016
Stevengold:

There should be other measures of punishing students, not this.
Now I see why ppl send there wards out in a civilized country to study.
In as much as I wouldnt like my children to go through this punishment, I don't see why I should treat other ppls children like this.
and their wards that study abroad are more disciplined than those that study here abi....
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by SalomonKane: 11:16am On Nov 05, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Don't be ashamed bro, I'm reeling my experience and I don't consider it BARBARIC.

There is nothing special about the 21st century, kneeling down is normal and has been working since 1900.

No wonder kids of 19th and 20th century are more disciplined than some of our 21st century kids.

Punctuality is the soul of business/professionalism.
This time I have to agree with you.

Peeps like dropshot, cos they weren't showed the importance of punctuality when they were in pry/sec schools, popularised the concept of African Time.
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by omofela85(m): 11:16am On Nov 05, 2016
soulhighman:

Bros., there are other ways of punishing them. Not by asking them to crawl on a muddy floor. Caning, or other punishments are still acceptable. Yes, this us actually barbaric.
caning is not ideal as b parent can get provoked and injure the life while beating but a benevolent cigar obo or ijoko idera bring the brain back to normal without anybody telling you se fe no pa ni
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by JuanDeDios: 11:17am On Nov 05, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Discipline does not mean anti-dignity. No wonder kids of these days misbehaves.

In those days, kids won't be sitting while elder is standing. Mbanu! The kid will stand up for the elder, while the elder will lap him/her.

If you don't want your child to kneel down, then make sure s/he is always punctual. No two ways about it!

Otherwise, Na yourself you de do
Nobody is saying there shouldn't be discipline but there are better ways. It is okay to stipulate a penalty for coming late but it doesn't have to be this or flogging. What happens to cleaning a classroom or watering flowers when his mates are enjoying their break period? Or something of that sort? To use your choice of words, it should not be "anti-dignity" like this here clearly is. When Nigerians go on and on about the usefulness of corporal punishment and "African upbringing", I always ask them if we are turning out better adults than societies that have abolished corporal punishment. We are clearly not. It's not about kids standing up for adults to sit or kneeling down to greet - you are adopting a very parochial approach to the matter. It's about things that social imperatives, humanistic ideals and lasting values that contribute to nation building and human development. In any case, children still stand up for their elders in the rural areas, and if you choose to live in urban areas you have to accept some of the things that come with that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by omofela85(m): 11:18am On Nov 05, 2016
DropShot:

You didn't see any kid crawling and you read it!
It's even evident from the image those kids are made to crawl with their knees.

In any case, making kids kneel in mud is barbaric enough. Or does that make them become neater?
but they can kneel on the soccer field
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by Nobody: 11:18am On Nov 05, 2016
SalomonKane:
That's because the education system have failed in Africa.

There's nothing absolutely barbaric in the picture. Discipline should be enforced in schools. Even if it's not the kids fault, who will discipline the parents.

A kid who likes school will always wake up on time and do what's needed. There's no excuse.

Parents are the sole reason why their kids turn out to be worse than them.

In other words, children should pay for what their parents shortcoming? What happened to sending letters? Calling their parents?

1 Like

Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by nuban07(m): 11:18am On Nov 05, 2016
I think crawling on the mud though will make the kids dirty but is far better than crawling on a concrete (rough surface). Those are some of d punishment we went through in school then, the scar is still on my kneels.
Some teachers are just wicked.
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by fergie001: 11:18am On Nov 05, 2016
Ifeanyi4491:
if u called this Barbaric then what will you call 'pick pin'
Chai,u stubborn wella,d day I was given that stuff,I know this world get 2 parts.Tears,catarrh and everything comot for my body,
Worse than flogging a child,d brain must reset.
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:19am On Nov 05, 2016
Juzzybabe:

Dear, punishment of such leaves most kids feeling very less of themselves among peers. it leaves a psychological effect that grows in them. Do you know that just words can make your kids abide by all regulations? most parents are not just patient enough to have a chat with their kids. either pick pin, pin pick,crawl in bud, carry bag on head and whatever punishment una call it, I will never condone such for my precious child. Train your child from small with good morals accompanied with the word of God and you won't believe who your child will grow to be.
Perhaps you should read the word of God.

"Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them."- Proverbs 13:24

" Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far away." Proverbs 22:15

"because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son."- Hebrews 12:6

Do you love your child?
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by rapcy(m): 11:20am On Nov 05, 2016
amuijiji:
U can call it barbaric because it's muddy, I agree but pls don't dare call that barbaric as a way of discipline for late coming..

By God's grace, all my male offspring will pass through NMS Zaria nd possibly NDA where they would enjoy more of discipline...

Easier said than done. When you have a son you will understand better...
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by Richy4(m): 11:20am On Nov 05, 2016
ZoneBslayer:
Reading the comments on this thread shows how mentally fvcked up most Nigerian are..their psyche has been fractured and brutalized by the military that they can't Tell right from wrong anymore... None of them stopped to think that maybe if the guardians of these kids knew their responsibility, they will make sure their wards get to school on time..if the government/schools knew their responsibility they will provide adequate transit for these kids to get to school on time..now the kids are taking the fall for the failure of their guardians and government.. Sick people everywhere!

I was horribly wowed by the number of support some people were giving to the teachers that perpetrated this dastardly act...Is it because people's human right has been thrown to the dogs in Nigeria that they do not know the difference between good and bad?...where people will deliberately inflict pain on others and goes scotch free... where uniformed person will slap someone and there will not be law suit awaiting for him @ home...

Anyways, I guess that's how they were being wired....They have never known or seen better....

5 Likes

Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by JuanDeDios: 11:20am On Nov 05, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

No wonder kids of 19th and 20th century are more disciplined than some of our 21st century kids.
Why do you say so? Do you have any proof? Anecdotal or statistical, anything resembling proof will do.
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by DesChyko: 11:20am On Nov 05, 2016
Ugosample:

What is this one saying now?

What I am saying is that I am not part of the party pretending that Nigeria changed yesterday.

Deceiving oneself is the pinnacle of idiocy.
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by fergie001: 11:22am On Nov 05, 2016
JuanDeDios:

Nobody is saying there shouldn't be discipline but there are better ways. It is okay to stipulate a penalty for coming late but it doesn't have to be this or flogging. What happens to cleaning a classroom or watering flowers when his mates are enjoying their break period? Or something of that sort? To use your choice of words, it should not be "anti-dignity" like this here clearly is. When Nigerians go on and on about the usefulness of corporal punishment and "African upbringing", I always ask them if we are turning out better adults than societies that have abolished corporal punishment. We are clearly not. It's not about kids standing up for adults to sit or kneeling down to greet - you are adopting a very parochial approach to the matter. It's about things that social imperatives, humanistic ideals and lasting values that contribute to nation building and human development. In any case, children still stand up for their elders in the rural areas, and if you choose to live in urban areas you have to accept some of the things that come with that.
Perhaps,u live abroad or attended a corona or the likes where a school bus comes 2 pick U.This punishment is absurd but watering flowers and d likes.then expect your assembly to be empty cos we will water d flowers endlessly.These punishments are necessary and non-negotiable though I must agree not some wicked ones,but flogging,pick-pin,etc....reset d brain.Who knows d refusal of all these sef has made sanity depart d system when these boys and girls get 2 secondary schools and d likes.
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by SalomonKane: 11:22am On Nov 05, 2016
Contact17:

In other words, children should pay for what their parents shortcoming? What happened to sending letters? Calling their parents?
Will the parents come? Have you asked yourself how many parents even come for Open Day, talkless of P.T.A meetings?

I'm a teacher. I've seen first-hand how today's parents spoil their kids. The disrespect shown today by kids is something else.

If you as a parent don't want your kid to be punished for something you know ain't their fault, then you should wake up on time and do what's necessarily.
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by Hades2016(m): 11:22am On Nov 05, 2016
Only in Africa....... am not surprise undecided
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by Nobody: 11:23am On Nov 05, 2016
omofela85:
caning is not ideal as b parent can get provoked and injure the life while beating but a benevolent cigar obo or ijoko idera bring the brain back to normal without anybody telling you se fe no pa ni
*ghen ghen cummando wades in*......benevolent cigar obo.......chai ayaf laff die! I became an expert. God bless Mrs Makinde. Reset my brain sharp.developed my muscles. made me a star
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by abbeyty(m): 11:23am On Nov 05, 2016
ZoneBslayer:
Reading the comments on this thread shows how mentally fvcked up most Nigerian are..their psyche has been fractured and brutalized by the military that they can't Tell right from wrong anymore... None of them stopped to think that maybe if the guardians of these kids knew their responsibility, they will make sure their wards get to school on time..if the government/schools knew their responsibility they will provide adequate transit for these kids to get to school on time..now the kids are taking the fall for the failure of their guardians and government.. Sick people everywhere!

brother, God bless you for this comment, i am surprised that some so called educated Nigerians still support this kind of punishment. they keep ranting about discipline as if Nigerians are more discipline than other people who don't maltreat themselves like animals as some Nigerians do. talking about time keeping i can say Africans are the worst time keeper even-though some of us went through this kind of punishment when we were growing up. why do we have African time ?
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by DropShot: 11:23am On Nov 05, 2016
MrSly:

Mr 21st century, discipline is the watch word if children are to be the leaders of tomorrow. What should they do to them? Flog them? kneel them? subject them to frog jump? Either way champions of 21st century must complain. 21st century is about technology development.
21st century is not only about technological development. It's also about behaving in more civilized manner than in the past. It's also about embracing gentle ways to resolving issues than the aggressive and archaic methods of the past.

This method here qualifies for bullying.

Better method to deal with this is making them do some school chores such as clearing weeds, cleaning toilets, arranging books on bookshelves, etc.

1 Like

Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by DropShot: 11:26am On Nov 05, 2016
omofela85:
but they can kneel on the soccer field
What gain is in rolling them (making them crawl( in mud like criminal?

What's wrong with you guys' reasoning?

1 Like

Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by Nobody: 11:26am On Nov 05, 2016
I spit on Africa specifically for bad leadership.
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by SalomonKane: 11:27am On Nov 05, 2016
DropShot:

21st century is not only about technological development. It's also about behaving in more civilized manner than in the past. It's also about embracing gentle ways to resolving issues than the aggressive and archaic methods of the past.

This method here qualifies for bullying.

Better method to deal with this is making them do some school chores such as clearing weeds, cleaning toilets, arranging books on bookshelves, etc.
Hope you've noticed the number of teenage pregnancy have increased since the dawn of the 21st century?

This method here stand for what is supposed to be done. Making those kids clear grass or clean toilets etc won't do squat. Some will see it as an everyday affair and take it as normal. Then their coming to school late will never end.
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by middlebelter(m): 11:29am On Nov 05, 2016
We Nigerian should know that we are lucky and that our previous protest for a working democracy has been fruitful.
Why should anybody blame the teacher? I doubt if any of the parents will ever attempt to challenge the atrocities? A country with a president that has failed to relinquish power for more than 25years? He can only breed citizens that will not be bold to challenge errors.
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by JuanDeDios: 11:29am On Nov 05, 2016
fergie001:

Perhaps,u live abroad or attended a corona or the likes where a school bus comes 2 pick U.This punishment is absurd but watering flowers and d likes.then expect your assembly to be empty cos we will water d flowers endlessly.These punishments are necessary and non-negotiable though I must agree not some wicked ones,but flogging,pick-pin,etc....reset d brain.Who knows d refusal of all these sef has made sanity depart d system when these boys and girls get 2 secondary schools and d likes.
I understand your argument but I disagree. Corporal punishment is not more effective than watering flowers because watering flower denies the child something he values - his playtime with his classmates. That is the PUNISHMENT in it. And these are just examples. There are other creative ways. The truth, which you people refuse to consider, is that corporal punishment has not worked because our schools are for the most part turning out cultists, runs girls, election riggers, ritualists and treasury looters. Alamieyeseigha, Odili, Obasanjo and the rest of them all went through these schools where corporal punishment held sway. Obama, Cameron and others went to schools where punishment amounted to watering flowers. Go figure.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by DropShot: 11:29am On Nov 05, 2016
JuanDeDios:

I am appalled by the number of people here supporting this act of bullying. These guys will slap their children for anything.

We have a long way to go I'm Africa.
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by ruudcruise(m): 11:30am On Nov 05, 2016
This is just wrong, we Africans believe in strict home training values but go at it in a wrong way.
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by Nobody: 11:31am On Nov 05, 2016
Richy4:

I was horribly wowed by the number of support some people were giving to the teachers that perpetrated this dastardly act...Is it because people's human right has been thrown to the dogs in Nigeria that they do not know the difference between good and bad?...where people will deliberately inflict pain on others and goes scotch free... where uniformed person will slap someone and there will not be law suit awaiting for him @ home...

Anyways, I guess that's how they were being wired....They have never known or seen better....
*ghen ghen cummando wan scatter*..... it's how we are being wired....mention one person in ur generation that u want ur kid to be like?

I heard u right..

unless your fuse box don blow. sheeorrr
Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by DropShot: 11:31am On Nov 05, 2016
SalomonKane:
Hope you've noticed the number of teenage pregnancy have increased since the dawn of the 21st century?

This method here stand for what is supposed to be done. Making those kids clear grass or clean toilets etc won't do squat. Some will see it as an everyday affair and take it as normal. Then their coming to school late will never end.
And why has this bullying we see here which is also prevalent in many other schools, not stopped teenage pregnancy and other social vices?

1 Like

Re: How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School by omofela85(m): 11:32am On Nov 05, 2016
cummando:

*ghen ghen cummando wades in*......benevolent cigar obo.......chai ayaf laff die! I became an expert. God bless Mrs Makinde. Reset my brain sharp.developed my muscles. made me a star
punishments are like valium 5 to kids, after sentence the kid to 2 hours of cigar obo, leave them alone and you're going to thank me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

JAMB 2013 + CHANGE OF INSTITUTION FORM SOLD HERE / Sex For Grade: Do Female Lecturers Ask For Sex Too? / The Best Nigerian Universities For Some Selected Courses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.