Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,368 members, 7,819,320 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria (85820 Views)

Names Of Traditional Rulers In The North / Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land / Ooni Of Ife And Oluwo Of Iwo Clash At Traditional Rulers’ Council Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Girlbestfriend(f): 11:34pm On Nov 10, 2016
TundeBricklayer:

My friend stop ranting unnecessary, Edo state is worst hit by gully erosion

http://www.urhokpotareporters.com/2016/06/01/erosion-residents-want-edo-govt-to-fix-auchi-igarra-road/

I guess u talking about the Queen ede gulley erosion or so they call it, that site has been worked on by their action governor, be informed bro

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Anambra1stSon(m): 11:37pm On Nov 10, 2016
desire21a:
Afonja no go kill person with media propagandagrin grin which one come be dis

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by gregyboy(m): 11:42pm On Nov 10, 2016
post=50937585:

This is 21 century Onitsha kingdom can you compare it to Benin which is state capital of Edo state

not at all but i go with the saying history repeat itself again my state my kingdom will be gr8 once again
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Eastactivist: 11:45pm On Nov 10, 2016
Mayor101010:
Do you really know the meaning of a kingdom or an empire?... You don't build an empire with thatched huts.. Please go get some education..

You are laughable...
As old as you are I believe you don't know there is no difference between both terms except the spelling..
Those thatched huts is familiar with your empire in actual reality...

I pity for bini bc they have been reduced to minority even smaller ethnicities will over run them overnight. It took biafra a day to overrun Benin and install a biitch as power... Imagine cheesy

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Eastactivist: 12:00am On Nov 11, 2016
gregyboy:

dont forget the same edo gave ur kingdom king thats y only onitsha have a well know king
this same edo coronation was the most search in nigeria on goggle wen goggle gave the report. this same edo wit lesss population controlled the south, east, north central, even d west b4 d advent of the white the famoous festac head know today was as result of kogi war wit benin d place wic is now know as idah in kogi this same oba drove usman dan fo dio out of his kingdom this same oba made the whole nigeria not to be colonized by Portuguese forget my state is small but mighty i will love to born der again wen i cme bck for my next life god bless d king oba gha to kpere isee!!!

[b]Common will you just shut your ignorant brain and send it to a blacksmith already for proper mending...

Which bini give Onitsha king? Are you ok? Because the king honoured your fking king's invitation now you insult him about his nice gestures to your boring king?? I blame him for this insult.

Bini never and can never control the igbos, now I know your brain capacity is below sea level. Tell me one evidence of such, even Benin empire hire blacksmiths from nri Kingdom to do their metal works. Go and read your history

LOL... Your small bini made the whole Nigeria not to be colonized by Portuguese is just an imagination of a figment of your brain, when Portuguese came, was their Nigeria?? Guy dey lie small small now

Please your kind should always remain bini by birth, people who just think and wish and live by self deceit and denial... You control Nigeria yet you can't even control Edo state... Yeye dey smell... No tribe will even accept you even if your creator give you to them free of charge... Lmaooo cheesy[/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Anambra1stSon(m): 12:01am On Nov 11, 2016
gregyboy:

not at all but i go with the saying history repeat itself again my state my kingdom will be gr8 once again
Ok, I wish you what ever you wish yourself and your people. Luvly night!

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by chibuzorAbia: 12:07am On Nov 11, 2016
Hash86:
Where are the Kings of the igbos? Oh I remember, they don't use to have kingdoms, na only villages and clans they used to have. grin grin tongue tongue
It was when the onyinbus arrived, them come know wetin KING and Queen means

You are ABSOLUTELY correct!

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Eastactivist: 12:11am On Nov 11, 2016
Hash86:
Where are the Kings of the igbos? Oh I remember, they don't use to have kingdoms, na only villages and clans they used to have. grin grin tongue tongue
It was when the onyinbus arrived, them come know wetin KING and Queen means

You are lacking in history...

Nri Kingdom is the oldest Kingdom in Nigeria..
Nri Kingdom stood firm even when other empires and Kingdom had lost their fight to British...

Nri Kingdom is the last Kingdom to be conquered in this present country and no Kingdom or empire pre-dates Nri Kingdom... Go and ask Google... cheesy

Hurtful truth

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by gregyboy(m): 12:17am On Nov 11, 2016
Eastactivist:

[b]Common will you just shut your ignorant brain and send it to a blacksmith already for proper mending...

Which bini give Onitsha king? Are you ok? Because the king honoured your fking king's invitation now you insult him about his nice gestures to your boring king?? I blame him for this insult.

Bini never and can never control the igbos, now I know your brain capacity is below sea level. Tell me one evidence of such, even Benin empire hire blacksmiths from nri Kingdom to do their metal works. Go and read your history

LOL... Your small bini made the whole Nigeria not to be colonized by Portuguese is just an imagination of a figment of your brain, when Portuguese came, was their Nigeria?? Guy dey lie small small now

Please your kind should always remain bini by birth, people who just think and wish and live by self deceit and denial... You control Nigeria yet you can't even control Edo state... Yeye dey smell... No tribe will even accept you even if your creator give you to them free of charge... Lmaooo cheesy[/b]

i dont know y u are blinding ur mind see the photos obi of onitsha is holding abeh showing is a prince from benin and i used nigeria to respesent everykingdom and state in Nigeria now in olden days

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by francisduru: 12:21am On Nov 11, 2016
Ajuju.. Who knows the answer to his dumb question
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by francisduru: 12:22am On Nov 11, 2016
He owns the life of those men
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by opefid(m): 12:36am On Nov 11, 2016
Ovokoo:
Here is a list of the 5 most powerful traditional rulers in Nigeria.

http://ovoko.com.ng/5-powerful-traditional-rulers-nigeria/

5. Alaafin of Oyo

The Alaafin or Oyo is the traditional ruler of Oyo town in present day Oyo state. He is also influential beyond the borders of Oyo and is a close rival of the Ooni of Ife. The current Alaafin is Lamidi Adeyemi III.

4. Ooni of Ife

Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi Ojaja II was crowned the Ooni of Ife in December 2015 when he succeeded the late Ooni of ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade to become the 51st Ooni of Ife. He is the most powerful and influential traditional ruler in Yorubaland.

3. Oba of Benin

The Oba of Benin, or Omo N’Oba is the most influential traditional ruler in southern Nigeria. He is the traditional ruler of the Benin empire. The current traditional ruler who is the 40th Oba of Benin is 40th Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare I who was crowned in October 2016.

2. Emir of Kano

Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II who was the governor of Nigeria’s central bank became the Emir of Kano in 2014 where he succeed Ado Bayero. The Emirship in Kano is a highly respected one not just in the North but also in the political circles throughout Nigeria.

1. Sultan of Sokoto

The sultan of sokoto is the most powerful and influential traditional ruler in Nigeria. He is also the spiritual leader of more than 70 million Muslims in Nigeria and is revered by the Hausa/Fulani people in Northern Nigeria.

Source: http://ovoko.com.ng/5-powerful-traditional-rulers-nigeria/

I think it is high time we started cautioning and educating some persons bent on misinforming and causing unnecessary hatred and unfounded attacks amongst fellow Nigerians.
The Iku baba yeye Alase Ikeji Orisa Ooni of Ife is never and can never be relegated to such position amongst traditional rulers in Nigeria. The Ooni of Ife has always been the Co-Chairman of the
National Council of Traditional Rulers
of Nigeria, NCTRN in which His
Eminence, Sultan of Sokoto is the Chairman. This position is strongly reinforced by the annoucment of the new Ooni Ogunleye Adewusi upon his appointment as the Co-chairman.
And for the writer to state that the Alaafin is a rival of the Ooni, only exhibits his level of ignorance and lack of proper grasp of the history of Nigeria. The position of Sultan as number one today is because of his position as a traditional ruler and the leader of the Muslim faith in Nigeria by virtue of the legacy of the late Usman Dan Fodio. While the stool of the Ooni Covers the entire western Nigeria.This a testament to the fact that the yorubas are known to have derived their source and origin frm Ife. He(the Ooni) represents a unifying figure of the Yoruba race.

@Ovokoo Pls it is not a must you do a post on Nairaland page. You can expend your time,energy and reasoning faculty(if present) on something better that appeals to common sense.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by eleshin(m): 1:11am On Nov 11, 2016
gregyboy:
is it been judged by population dey controll or by tribalism or by achievement or by strength they have now let's rate this

1.most ruled king in populations = sultan of sokoto

2. by strength and popularity= oba of benin

3.most travelled and adore= ooni of ife

4.most rich= emir if kano

5..most feared and respected=oba of benin

6.most funny= king of calabar wearing two crowns one by British one for himself

Beyond Benin who respect and fear Oba of Benin? Wtf is he? Most popular? Like seriously? Ooni is the King of all Yorubas, even beyond Nigeria. Apart from Sultan of Sokoto Ooni is the most powerful Oba in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:20am On Nov 11, 2016
Traditional institution is ranked according to the population they cover or have authority over... Historically, politically and what have u
Sultan of sokoto #1
Ooni of ife (the birthplace of the Yoruba race, and whence the Oba of Benin came from) #2
How ever u wish the rest, but that one and two are at par... Forget the igbo people becos kingship and the traditional institution just became a wide spread phenomenal.

Apart from places like igbo ukwu, and nri (Impo).

3 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by opefid(m): 1:22am On Nov 11, 2016
Ovokoo:

Personal arrangement determined by who? The federal government? Pls elucidate.

@Ovokoo You should have done your research well before embarking on this kind of exercise.
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by opefid(m): 1:27am On Nov 11, 2016
Ovokoo:

That's a personal opinion. The people ahead of the Ooni deserve to be there. We all know there's no traditional ruler as powerful as the Sultan as he also doubles as the head of the Muslim community in Nigeria. The Emir is also very powerful in the north and is highly revered throughout the country. The Oba of benin is arguable the most powerful traditional ruler in the south and then the Ooni before the Alaafin. We're all entitled to our opinions anyways.

Your response to what @AKYEMITE told you goes to show that you do not understand how the system works. This positions you are talking about all has a long history and tradition that can not be swept under the carpet.
1. why will you bring your personal opinion to confuse Nigerians. Your personal opinion amounts to nothing on this particular issue.
2.The only person who can be rightly said to be deserving of the number on position is the sultan. This is because he is the leader of the Muslim faith in Nigeria.
3. Does the fact that the Emir is highy revered across the country make him superior to the Ooni? The National Council of Traditional rulers in Nigeria has settled the question. The Ooni is above the Emir as a Co-Chairman.
4. That the Oba of Benin is the most powerful in the south. How? Is it by the coronation process, influence, wealth or the extent of territory? The Oba of Benin can be said to be one of the most repected Oba in Nigeria if not the most respected. The secret must have been due to the way they hold their culture and tradition in high esteem. The Oba seldomly goes out and does not interfere in party politics.

There is a big difference between Authority/influence and respect.
The Ooni's sphere of influence and authority spreads across the lenght and breadth of Yoruba land and he is also respected.
While the Oba of Benin's sphere of respect spreads across the entire country. And he also wields a ferocious authority and influence over Benin kingdom.

4 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by opefid(m): 1:38am On Nov 11, 2016
Atomizer:
Traditional institution is ranked according to the population they cover or have authority over... Historically, politically and what have u
Sultan of sokoto #1
Ooni of ife (the birthplace of the Yoruba race, and whence the Oba of Benin came from) #2
How ever u wish the rest, but that one and two are at par... Forget the igbo people becos kingship and the traditional institution just became a wide spread phenomenal.

Apart from places like igbo ukwu, and nri (Impo).

Guy you are making sense. Your mama is gonna be proud of you.

3 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by opefid(m): 1:47am On Nov 11, 2016
eleshin:

Beyond Benin who respect and fear Oba of Benin? Wtf is he? Most popular? Like seriously? Ooni is the King of all Yorubas, even beyond Nigeria. Apart from Sultan of Sokoto Ooni is the most powerful Oba in Nigeria.

Brother I they try educate them. Especially that @Ovokoo. Him too go dey form say him go school. He should go back to his father's farm in the village. Who needs his personal opinion on matters like this. His he a spirit or a god? Jst trying to misinform people.

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by wisdombiggy: 2:09am On Nov 11, 2016
Pls where is Oba Olukere of Ikere land on the list.
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 2:18am On Nov 11, 2016
jolomiurenyi:

I'm not here to argue, in Delta state the number one King is the OLU OF WARRI and you know that.

Delusions of grandeur, as expected.
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by justmenoni: 2:32am On Nov 11, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin obi of kano or eze ndigbo of lagos abi?

NotNairalandi:
Obi of Kano nko

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by AreaFada2: 2:46am On Nov 11, 2016
Chai, Bubu has wahala o.

See people fighting over which King they think is most important or influential.

"My dickus big pass your dickus" mentality of our pipu. grin cheesy

I hope after fighting over this matter, your most important/influential king will send servants to put breakfast, lunch & dinner on your table for the next one year. shocked shocked

Kings have their roles stated in our constitution. And they try doing that to best of their abilities.
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by emi14: 3:59am On Nov 11, 2016
AKYEMITE:
Ooni is second in Nigeria, he is the co-chairman with southern of sokoto the president of traditional rulers in Nigeria. get your fact straight. not even the vice chairman, but co-chairman, they are on the same level

Two captains same time. The sultan is the highest and most influential. Co-chairman is written in pieces of paper. Maybe ooni get better juju but incase of influence and power sultan remains their oga.
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by rhektor(m): 4:40am On Nov 11, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

Smh at your gross stupidity!!! A simple Wikipedia page on the obi of Onitsha would have educated you. Don't tell me you still believe that crap that oduduwa descended from heaven

How much does this explain anything about your Obi? How influential is that obi? When did Obiship start in that Erosion-threatened land? Answer these questions and then we'll talk. You don't even know your own history, this explain more about your aggression here on nairaland.
Kid at heart go learn about your history so you won't goof around.

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by brightlinse(m): 4:57am On Nov 11, 2016
where is Obi of Onitisha. Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe 'Agbogidi of igbo land '.
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by onyiloyi(m): 5:00am On Nov 11, 2016
Ovokoo:
Here is a list of the 5 most powerful traditional rulers in Nigeria.

http://ovoko.com.ng/5-powerful-traditional-rulers-nigeria/

5. Alaafin of Oyo

The Alaafin or Oyo is the traditional ruler of Oyo town in present day Oyo state. He is also influential beyond the borders of Oyo and is a close rival of the Ooni of Ife. The current Alaafin is Lamidi Adeyemi III.

4. Ooni of Ife

Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi Ojaja II was crowned the Ooni of Ife in December 2015 when he succeeded the late Ooni of ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade to become the 51st Ooni of Ife. He is the most powerful and influential traditional ruler in Yorubaland.

3. Oba of Benin

The Oba of Benin, or Omo N’Oba is the most influential traditional ruler in southern Nigeria. He is the traditional ruler of the Benin empire. The current traditional ruler who is the 40th Oba of Benin is 40th Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare I who was crowned in October 2016.

2. Emir of Kano

Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II who was the governor of Nigeria’s central bank became the Emir of Kano in 2014 where he succeed Ado Bayero. The Emirship in Kano is a highly respected one not just in the North but also in the political circles throughout Nigeria.

1. Sultan of Sokoto

The sultan of sokoto is the most powerful and influential traditional ruler in Nigeria. He is also the spiritual leader of more than 70 million Muslims in Nigeria and is revered by the Hausa/Fulani people in Northern Nigeria.

Source: http://ovoko.com.ng/5-powerful-traditional-rulers-nigeria/

this ur list is incomplete without d emir of zaria Dr. Shehu Idris
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by edupedia: 5:08am On Nov 11, 2016
NotNairalandi:
Obi of Kano nko

....Obi if Kano?...this man u be hired killer...abeg no kill me with lafta o!...

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by longerthroat(m): 5:55am On Nov 11, 2016
Eze ndi Igbo na MALAYSIA no dey the list na... grin

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by ghands(m): 6:18am On Nov 11, 2016
Ovokoo:

That's a personal opinion. The people ahead of the Ooni deserve to be there. We all know there's no traditional ruler as powerful as the Sultan as he also doubles as the head of the Muslim community in Nigeria. The Emir is also very powerful in the north and is highly revered throughout the country. The Oba of benin is arguable the most powerful traditional ruler in the south and then the Ooni before the Alaafin. We're all entitled to our opinions anyways.

U lack insight of history. Alaafin is the most powerful king in Yoruba land. Get your facts right!
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by YourNemesis: 6:20am On Nov 11, 2016
ghands:

U lack insight of history. Alaafin is the most powerful king in Yoruba land. Get your facts right!

Lai lai. Ko joo.
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by jolomiurenyi(m): 6:23am On Nov 11, 2016
fratermathy:

Delusions of grandeur, as expected.

Mr Fratermathy, remember, I did not insult you during my post I'm not an illetratate, I know what you said, but what you just said, I'm returning it back to syou.
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by jolomiurenyi(m): 6:31am On Nov 11, 2016
4. THE OLU OF WARRI OGIAME IKENWOLI
Long May You Reign
Ogaime Suoooooo......

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuaere, Arrives Abuja In His Rolls Royce And Private Jet / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State / Blood Money: How Real Is It: Share Ur Stories.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.