Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,523 members, 7,836,997 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities (2859 Views)

Plateau And Anambra Want To Buy Benue And Imo / Gej Vs Gmb Campaign Rally Pictures (anambra And Imo) / Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by mekuslogan: 9:50pm On Nov 01, 2009
I believe many people are ignorant of these basic facts and so I thought it was good to reiterate them

1. Nsukka = first full-fledged (indigenous and autonomous) university in Nigeria, 1960
2. Ibadan = first university college in Nigeria. Was not autonomous but was appended to the university of London, 1948, became indigenous and autonomous in 1962, two years after Nsukka
3. Anambra state university of science and tech (now Enugu state university)= first state university in Nigeria, 1979
4. Imo state university (now Abia state university) = second state university in Nigeria, 1981
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by Nobody: 10:26pm On Nov 01, 2009
thank you for the info.

Now my life is better for clicking on this thread.
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by Kobojunkie: 10:28pm On Nov 01, 2009
Kai!!! Some people's right to create threads ought to be revoked after a silly thread or two!! grin cheesy
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by ikeyman00(m): 10:42pm On Nov 01, 2009
bumpin
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by mekuslogan: 10:49pm On Nov 01, 2009
You do not have to read/comment if the TRUTHFUL content is diametric to your ignorantly entrenched viewpoint. I have a right to post much as you have a right to read.
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by Kobojunkie: 10:54pm On Nov 01, 2009
mekuslogan:

You do not have to read/comment if the TRUTHFUL content is diametric to your ignorantly entrenched viewpoint. I have a right to post much as you have a right to read.

. . . and post my view point as well. grin
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by mekuslogan: 11:00pm On Nov 01, 2009
Kobojunkie:

. . . and post my view point as well. grin

Then learn to live with the content as posted or buzz off.
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by Kobojunkie: 11:03pm On Nov 01, 2009
Dude!! I did, that is why I shared MY VIEW!!! grin
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by ezeagu(m): 11:08pm On Nov 01, 2009
What's the need for this thread now?
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by AndreUweh(m): 11:18pm On Nov 01, 2009
It was just in a name. It was the tradition of the universities in the UK then to be called University colleges. The University college Ibadan awarded degrees then and not OND or HND. The university of Ibadan is a national university and has no particular area as its catchment area.
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by kshow1(m): 11:19pm On Nov 01, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Kai!!! Some people's right to create threads ought to be revoked after a silly thread or two!! grin cheesy

Freedom of speech and expression. grin grin
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by mekuslogan: 11:43pm On Nov 01, 2009
Andre Uweh:

It was just in a name. It was the tradition of the universities in the UK then to be called University colleges. The University college Ibadan awarded degrees then and not OND or HND. The university of Ibadan is a national university and has no particular area as its catchment area.

UI got its independence in 1962. The word independence means that it was not on its own at inception. That makes Nsukka no1. Indeed the name ''Universty of Nigeria'' speaks for itself.
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by AndreUweh(m): 12:07am On Nov 02, 2009
Unibadan might have been situated at the Heart of Yorubaland but it has Nigerians at heart. In my final year at this citadel of learning, there were 42 students in my dept. Yoruba-15, Igbo-15 and others were 12. This shows you the composition of UI.
It is the oldest uni. in Nigeria today and still stands taste of time. Was it not 7 weeks ago that they won the Zain quiz competition for African universities?.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by maxell(f): 12:40am On Nov 02, 2009
Richyblack is the reason this tread still exists. I don't think he is a good fit for the politics' section's moderator.
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by becomrich15: 1:09am On Nov 02, 2009
stop telling people lies.

University of ibadan was the first university in Nigeria.

University of london was called university of london. There was no time when university of ibadan ever bear the name university of london. It initial name was university college Ibadan. does than name look like univeristy of london. It only used program from the university of london.

It stop using the accademic program of the university of london in 1962 and created its own program. in 1959 University college Ibadan was already offering medical program to doctors.  It only change name and stop using the university of london accademic program.

The university of nigeria was established based on recomendation by the Asbhy commission. It also agree to establish another in the north , since there was already a university in the west.
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by puskin: 1:27am On Nov 02, 2009
. . .nd what the f.uck is this thread doing here.
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by mekuslogan: 2:32am On Nov 02, 2009
Becomepoor,

U.I. became independent in 1962. Now what is the meaning of independent. I am not about engaging an slowpoke as you in an argument. Ok?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Ibadan
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by mekuslogan: 2:34am On Nov 02, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Unibadan might have been situated at the Heart of Yorubaland but it has Nigerians at heart. In my final year at this citadel of learning, there were 42 students in my dept. Yoruba-15, Igbo-15 and others were 12. This shows you the composition of UI.
It is the oldest uni. in Nigeria today and still stands taste of time. Was it not 7 weeks ago that they won the Zain quiz competition for African universities?.

Three students represented U.I. in the Zain quiz comptition. Do you know their names
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by sjeezy8: 3:39am On Nov 02, 2009
Lewis Ademola Coach
Babatunde Tajudeen Adetona Liaison
Nnaemeka Nwachukwu Player
Olatunji Ayoola Olalere Player
Tolulope Oloruntoba Player
Olanrewaju Ismail Shittu Player

big up to the team
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by THEAMAKA3(f): 3:43am On Nov 02, 2009
this should be in the education section.
how does this fit into politics?
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by Nobody: 4:07am On Nov 02, 2009
So. . . . .are we supposed to start applying for this colleges?

Thanks to Google sha.
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by mekuslogan: 5:55am On Nov 02, 2009
sjeezy8:

Lewis Ademola Coach??
Babatunde Tajudeen Adetona Liaison
Nnaemeka Nwachukwu Player
Olatunji Ayoola Olalere Player
Tolulope Oloruntoba Player

big up to the team

Quiz is not sports. You do not need a coach to be intelligent. Only 3 were involved.

Nnaemeka Nwachukwu, Olatunji Ayoola Olalere and Tolulope Oloruntoba, who incidentally were seated as guests, drew thunderous applause and admiration from everyone that was present at the event.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200909081251.html
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by sjeezy8: 6:12am On Nov 02, 2009
mekuslogan:

Quiz is not sports. You do not need a coach to be intelligent. Only 3 were involved.

Nnaemeka Nwachukwu, Olatunji Ayoola Olalere and Tolulope Oloruntoba, who incidentally were seated as guests, drew thunderous applause and admiration from everyone that was present at the event.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200909081251.html

maybe you should use your brain and act like you have some sense.

I cut and pasted as what it says on the damn website

http://www.zainafricachallenge.com/IC/teams2009.html
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by Sissy3(f): 8:17am On Nov 02, 2009
tpia.:

thank you for the info.

Now my life is better for clicking on this thread.

lmao grin grin
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by ikeyman00(m): 11:26pm On Nov 02, 2009
^^^

NO worse off lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by Nobody: 12:30am On Nov 03, 2009
ikeyman00:

^^^

NO worse off lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

but you're the bitterest gall here!

If your life is sweet then why is that so.
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by ikeyman00(m): 12:10am On Nov 11, 2009
how^^^ bitter

i thought u are the bitter one hmm strange things agwan
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by obiem(m): 4:24pm On Nov 11, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Truth is Ibadan has from inception had many Nigerians @ heart. Owing to the fact that it was the first college (as it was called then) to be established in the country. For the records, it's first Vice Chancellor was Igbo, Prof Kenneth Onwuka Dike. Eminent non yorubas that passed through the institution include John Pepper Clark, Chinua Achebe, Cyprian Ekwensi e.t.c. Nsukka that has the 'University of Nigeria' tag is good(i'm an alumni) but objectively speaking, Ibadan wouldn't have been a bad choice.
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by Afam4eva(m): 5:05pm On Nov 11, 2009
becomrich,:

stop telling people lies.

University of ibadan was the first university in Nigeria.

University of london was called university of london. There was no time when university of ibadan ever bear the name university of london. It initial name was university college Ibadan. does than name look like univeristy of london. It only used program from the university of london.

It stop using the accademic program of the university of london in 1962 and created its own program. in 1959 University college Ibadan was already offering medical program to doctors.  It only change name and stop using the university of london accademic program.

The university of nigeria was established based on recomendation by the Asbhy commission. It also agree to establish another in the north , since there was already a university in the west.

If i say i've ever encountered a bigger fool than you in my life then i'll be a liar.
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by AndreUweh(m): 7:17pm On Nov 11, 2009
Unibadan rules. I think UNN is better than UI in engineering, OAU Ife is better than UI in law, Unilag is better than UI in mass communication. In every other discipline, it is UI all the way in Nigeria.
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by mekusxxx: 7:40pm On Nov 11, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Unibadan rules. I think UNN is better than UI in engineering, OAU Ife is better than UI in law, Unilag is better than UI in mass communication. In every other discipline, it is UI all the way in Nigeria.

How did you arrive at this? UI is not the best in Agriculture, in Music, in Igbo language, in Hausa Language and in Medicine amongst others. Astrology is only done at UNN, while the only Prof in Landscape Architecture in Nigeria is in IMSU, namely the current ASUU president.
Re: Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities by nolongTing: 8:37pm On Nov 11, 2009
Another Yoruba vs Igbo Thread great! Some more numbers:

Google:

Results 1 - 10 of about 75,100 for nsukka university. (0.08 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 115,000 for obafemi awolowo university. (0.16 seconds)

Yahoo:

290,000 results for obafemi awolowo university

160,000 results for nsukka university

These Igbo Unis are not very popular are they? People are scared they might get kidnapped grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Apga ’ll Win Ebonyi Elections Next Year - State Chair / Nigerian Election (INEC) Staff Ask For Life Insurance / The Cpc Campaign Rally In Benin - Images

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.