Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,424 members, 7,815,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls (1589 Views)

‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls / Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls / ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by freeDR(m): 8:59pm On Nov 12, 2016
Wole Soyinka, Nobel laureate, has hit back at those trolling him on the Internet over his vow to cut up his American green card if Donald Trump won the presidential election.

The professor has come under severe criticism for not fulfilling his promise since Trump won, and he has described his traducers as “noisome creatures” and “nattering nit-wits” who were commenting on an issue from the “secure cesspits of anonymity” out of “ignorance”.

In an opinion article which he shared with TheCable, Soyinka listed several instances when he had issued a “red card” to countries, including Australia, Cuba and South Africa, on principle, which he said he did not share with the media.

He also insisted that when he made the promise to exit America, he was speaking at a private meeting with Oxford University students and was not making a pledge to the media, questioning why the media would now want to draw up a departure timetable for him.

On the Internet trolling, he wrote: “Let me end with a Red Card to those noisome creatures, the nattering nit-wits of Internet: maybe Trumpland is not as despicable as the Naijaland you impose on our reality from your secure cesspits of anonymity. Go back to school. Your problem is ignorance, ignorance of whatever subject you so readily comment upon. Learn to study your subject before opening up on issues beyond your grasp. Sometimes you make one feel like swapping one green for another, out of embarrassment for occupying the same national space as you. But don’t get nervous, or start jumping for joy too soon – the Nigerian passport is just as tough to rip, physically, as is the Green Card…”

He decried the “literal” interpretation given to his statement that he would cut his green card — the US residency permit renewable every ten years — the “moment” Trump was declared winner.

He cited a gruesome ISIS story to illustrate the literal interpretation people give to statements, declaring: “That is all I have to say to the ‘literalists’ who obsess over a time scheme of their own assessment. Thus, failure to have torn my Green Card ‘the moment’ that I learnt that Mr. Donald Trump had won the presidential elections of the USA. It did not matter what I was doing at the time – teaching, eating, swimming, praying, under the shower or whatever. Or a family member saying, ‘Wait for me!’ – speculatively please, no such disturbance ever took place. If it did however, I am supposed to contact the Nigerian media – to whom I have never spoken, and who never contacted me – except one – to beg permission to pursue a realistic definition of ‘the moment’. Media fascism is however a subject for another day.”

Soyinka said anyone would think that the Brexit Vote “made it imperative for the Brits to plunge into the English Channel instantly, instead of negotiating two years for an orderly withdrawal. Plebians like me of course need far less time, nevertheless they do not uproot overnight. Any other proposition speaks of a permanent agenda, of frustration and hidden histories – such as opportunities to rehabilitate themselves in the public eye.”

He said there is also recession in the land, “and I can understand the psychology of impotence and thus, transferred aggression”.

https://www.thecable.ng/problem-ignorance-soyinka-hits-back-internet-trolls
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by preetypam(f): 9:11pm On Nov 12, 2016
see grammer

2 Likes

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by abduljabbar4(m): 9:14pm On Nov 12, 2016
New word learnt. The new name for ipoop yoots is nattering nit-witsgrin

3 Likes

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:19pm On Nov 12, 2016
Nattering nitwits = Igbos

grin grin grin

To Natter means, to talk without purpose, to nag

grin grin

Una don overstep una boundaries

2 Likes

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by playboy99(m): 9:21pm On Nov 12, 2016
lol
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by uzokasi1964(m): 9:23pm On Nov 12, 2016
Chesus! See grammer! Oga no tear again, before you kill us with big English! undecided
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by TechRev: 9:24pm On Nov 12, 2016
So no matter how high these people get in life they can't loose the trait of speaking from both sides of their mouth? What are they called here?? Type in capital.

4 Likes

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by chiefobdk(m): 9:27pm On Nov 12, 2016
TechRev:
So no matter how high these people get in life they can't loose the trait of speaking from both sides of their mouth? What are they called here?? Type in capital.

Its afonja

All dis grammar to make us forget u said u ll tear ur green card.

Oga cultist tear ur card no story abeg.

Typical afonja. . Never keep thr word.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Tolexander: 9:29pm On Nov 12, 2016
SLIDEwaxie:
Nattering nitwits = Igbos

grin grin grin

To Natter means, to talk without purpose, to nag

grin grin

Una don overstep una boundaries
won ti hoo bo

Won ti tee ro

Won ti gbaa ya

1 Like

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Danfuster(m): 9:30pm On Nov 12, 2016
Baba won discombobulate us with grammar grin... That moment you keep going back to read same line cos no comprendergrin grin. Reminds that year wey Jacobian and Laplace transform (Advance Engineering Math) Wan scatter my head. grin cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by stsinner: 9:31pm On Nov 12, 2016
*long yawn* oga,stop this 'the lion and the jewel' story & tear the passport

3 Likes

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by DONMAYOR19(m): 9:35pm On Nov 12, 2016
if u like use English cover am, just do your part and keep quite. useless shameless old afonja fool.

2 Likes

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by jesse8048(m): 9:36pm On Nov 12, 2016
All these grammar on top tearing of what you promised to.
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Intrepid01(m): 9:37pm On Nov 12, 2016
I'm still amazed that this man at old are has not lost any of his senses....where is senility? Where is Dementia? He has defiled them all. Kongi is a great man especially in the cojoining of alphabets for self expression. His level of understanding and choice of words always leave me in wonder. His brain cells should be grafted and cultured for future generation b4 it is too late.

You can't be making claims or demanding for the fuldillmen of an agreement you were not a party to ab initio.

1 Like

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Nobody: 9:50pm On Nov 12, 2016
On the Internet trolling, he wrote: “Let me end with a Red Card to those noisome creatures, the nattering nit-wits of Internet: maybe Trumpland is not as despicable as the Naijaland you impose on our reality from your secure cesspits of anonymity. Go back to school. Your problem is ignorance, ignorance of whatever subject you so readily comment upon. Learn to study your subject before opening up on issues beyond your grasp. Sometimes you make one feel like swapping one green for another, out of embarrassment for occupying the same national space as you. But don’t get nervous, or start jumping for joy too soon – the Nigerian passport is just as tough to rip, physically, as is the Green Card

1 Like

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Nobody: 9:53pm On Nov 12, 2016
smiley
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by littlewonders: 9:55pm On Nov 12, 2016
Intrepid01:
I'm still amazed that this man at old are has not lost any of his senses....where is senility? Where is Dementia? He has defiled them all. Kongi is a great man especially in the cojoining of alphabets for self expression. His level of understanding and choice of words always leave me in wonder. His brain cells should be grafted and cultured for future generation b4 it is too late.

You can't be making claims or demanding for the fuldillmen of an agreement you were not a party to ab initio.

You wan show yourself abi?

Anything media, we all can make claims or demand for the fuldillmen of any media agreement in which we(public) are party to ab initio.

Park well!! Who your English EPP?
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by PDJT: 10:13pm On Nov 12, 2016
Intellectual vulgarism from Soyinka.
He should go and study the work of Thomas Sowell, on the subject.

Meanwhile, you don't see chess grandmasters meddling in Economics.

...when an Elder start throwing stones at kids playing in the market square, the kids will take away his walking stick.

He should be wise.

1 Like

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Nobody: 10:16pm On Nov 12, 2016
The phrase he used to complement the e-warriors is to heavy 'nattering nitwit'.this is more than mobbing.it is called'crucifixion'.
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by micfoley: 10:50pm On Nov 12, 2016
Enough Grammar. This one go give Obahiagbon sef headache
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Nobody: 10:54pm On Nov 12, 2016
chiefobdk:

Its afonja

All dis grammar to make us forget u said u ll tear ur green card.

Oga cultist tear ur card no story abeg.

Typical afonja. . Never keep thr word.

The same cultist Afonja imprisoned for two ass years fighting your people's battle for you. How hypocritical.

1 Like

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Nobody: 10:56pm On Nov 12, 2016
PDJT:
Intellectual vulgarism from Soyinka.
He should go and study the work of Thomas Sowell, on the subject.

Meanwhile, you don't see chess grandmasters meddling in Economics.

...when an Elder start throwing stones at kids playing in the market square, the kids will take away his walking stick.

He should be wise.
they deserved to be called such name.Prof.Soyinka is -a political analyst-a normal man like everybody-that is entittled to his opinion,but our people'the stupid of ages' don't know that,they will call,lambast,scoff,mock,sobriquet and deride him for anything he does wrong.Like Ronaldo or Messi,if they miss a clean chance to score,they will be pardon without murmuring or blaming them.Now,a person that singlehandedly suscribed Nigeria emblem among the literate country in the world by winning the major pestigious literature award is traduced by those that are beclouded under spook anonimity.can they confront him?.it is quite advisable to let the best savant in Nigeria with his deeds and pray for yourself to match and supersede what the gusto called Soyinka has done in your life

2 Likes

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by lanicky(f): 11:23pm On Nov 12, 2016
I thought peeps like him ignore trolls.

The man vex no be small... E just dey dash dem trolls names. grin

All hail cyber bullies... They sure know how to spoil your day. sad
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by ameezy(m): 11:47pm On Nov 12, 2016
E never tear the green card? grin
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by ameezy(m): 11:50pm On Nov 12, 2016
lanicky:
I thought peeps like him ignore trolls.

The man vex no be small... E just dey dash dem trolls names. grin

All hail cyber bullies... They sure know how to spoil your day. sad
No b lie o the internet is a bad place
Insults just be like natural talents for some people.
If u cross their Line they will squeeze u.
grin
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Thebrightest(m): 12:27am On Nov 13, 2016
ok
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by chiefobdk(m): 6:40am On Nov 13, 2016
LastMumu:

The same cultist Afonja imprisoned for two ass years fighting your people's battle for you. How hypocritical.

Doesn't stop him from being two faced like every other afonja

(1) (Reply)

Adesewa / The Bad Ass Girl { Korean Comedy & Romantic Story} / Ἀμνησία Amnesia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.