Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,423 members, 7,815,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls (657 Views)

‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls / Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls / ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by freeDR(m): 7:42pm On Nov 12, 2016
Wole Soyinka, Nobel laureate, has hit back at those trolling him on the Internet over his vow to cut up his American green card if Donald Trump won the presidential election.

The professor has come under severe criticism for not fulfilling his promise since Trump won, and he has described his traducers as “noisome creatures” and “nattering nit-wits” who were commenting on an issue from the “secure cesspits of anonymity” out of “ignorance”.

In an opinion article which he shared with TheCable, Soyinka listed several instances when he had issued a “red card” to countries, including Australia, Cuba and South Africa, on principle, which he said he did not share with the media.

He also insisted that when he made the promise to exit America, he was speaking at a private meeting with Oxford University students and was not making a pledge to the media, questioning why the media would now want to draw up a departure timetable for him.

On the Internet trolling, he wrote: “Let me end with a Red Card to those noisome creatures, the nattering nit-wits of Internet: maybe Trumpland is not as despicable as the Naijaland you impose on our reality from your secure cesspits of anonymity. Go back to school. Your problem is ignorance, ignorance of whatever subject you so readily comment upon. Learn to study your subject before opening up on issues beyond your grasp. Sometimes you make one feel like swapping one green for another, out of embarrassment for occupying the same national space as you. But don’t get nervous, or start jumping for joy too soon – the Nigerian passport is just as tough to rip, physically, as is the Green Card…”

He decried the “literal” interpretation given to his statement that he would cut his green card — the US residency permit renewable every ten years — the “moment” Trump was declared winner.

He cited a gruesome ISIS story to illustrate the literal interpretation people give to statements, declaring: “That is all I have to say to the ‘literalists’ who obsess over a time scheme of their own assessment. Thus, failure to have torn my Green Card ‘the moment’ that I learnt that Mr. Donald Trump had won the presidential elections of the USA. It did not matter what I was doing at the time – teaching, eating, swimming, praying, under the shower or whatever. Or a family member saying, ‘Wait for me!’ – speculatively please, no such disturbance ever took place. If it did however, I am supposed to contact the Nigerian media – to whom I have never spoken, and who never contacted me – except one – to beg permission to pursue a realistic definition of ‘the moment’. Media fascism is however a subject for another day.”

Soyinka said anyone would think that the Brexit Vote “made it imperative for the Brits to plunge into the English Channel instantly, instead of negotiating two years for an orderly withdrawal. Plebians like me of course need far less time, nevertheless they do not uproot overnight. Any other proposition speaks of a permanent agenda, of frustration and hidden histories – such as opportunities to rehabilitate themselves in the public eye.”

He said there is also recession in the land, “and I can understand the psychology of impotence and thus, transferred aggression”.

https://www.thecable.ng/problem-ignorance-soyinka-hits-back-internet-trolls

Cc: Mynd44, lalasticlala
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by HtwoOw: 7:45pm On Nov 12, 2016
Lol
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 12, 2016
That's one thing the prof has been known for. He says one thing and when you try to hold him by that, he tells you, NO, l meant it the other way.

1 Like

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Originalsly: 7:57pm On Nov 12, 2016
If he said he would tear up his Green Card if Trump won... then the media has a right to find out if he already did so or when he would. That's all he need to say instead of floating all these words in our face. He is a public figure... whatever he says in public or private can be put on blast by the media. Yes he was speaking at a private gathering... and so was Trump when he spoke about grabbing women. The Green Card is physical and tearing it is a physical action.... why on earth must we not take what he said to be literal? On this one he is the nit wit.
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by yemmit90: 7:59pm On Nov 12, 2016
Soyinka, an old man with analog brains. Only grammar no tangible contribution to the development of his society.

what does he know about 21st century politics and literature.

1 Like

Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Tallesty1(m): 8:01pm On Nov 12, 2016
Oga keep quiet
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 12, 2016
If we kal u AFONJA na some people go dey vex..
Re: ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Obinnau(m): 7:50am On Nov 16, 2016

(1)

Pursuit Of Passion, Act1 Scene 2 Continuation / Payback Time(getting Me Back) / I Have Divorced Him Long Ago

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.