Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria (24608 Views)

What Do You Think Of Female Engineers? / The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World / The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by revolt(m): 9:31am On Nov 14, 2016
engineers that can't build or engineer anything. africa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by Emnyte(m): 9:32am On Nov 14, 2016
palladin:

Funny there is an ethnic group with a higher number. Yet not one of them is here to play tribal cards
I taya o, a tribe takes about five, yet no noise

1 Like

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by badassProdigy(m): 9:36am On Nov 14, 2016
I can now see the difference between them and the world engineers, they only grow portfolios... gettin certificates here & there... Notin else

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by spacyzuma(m): 9:36am On Nov 14, 2016
Bishops10:
10.Engr/Pilot ONYEMA AJUOGU
U.S based Aerospace Engineer

From hawking commonplace foodstuff in her village, she became a house help for an opportunity to attend secondary school
The Umudihu Orlu Imo state born is the first person ever to travel to the United States of America from her village. Her bragging right extends the larger Orlu community where she is the first Aerospace Engineer and arguably one of the few in Nigeria.
Her story
Given the circumstance of her poor parentage, Onyema could have been subsumed by the overwhelming surge of penury. However, she was determined, not only to swim against the tide, but to float comfortably. With no role model or anyone to emulate, she trusted her guts and envisioned herself as an accomplished professional. This big picture was always before she began the grind. In primary school, she hawked commonplace food items in the village to earn money for her textbooks.
Primary school education was all her parents dreamt for her. The next big thing on their mind was to have her acquire tailoring skills. It was a station above the subsistence farming which engaged them. At least, she could read and string together enough figures to take measurement and make outfits for the village folks. She would then expect to attract a suitable suitor; and become a wife and a mother.
This was not the life Onyema dreamt. Like the probable ring which circles her name (and has proven to envelope her destiny), with thoughts of possibility, a relative volunteered to sponsor her education in a secondary school, if she would serve him as a maid. The offer could be likened to a straw thrown at a drowning person. She grabbed it with both hands.
She did not see herself as a maid. All she could see was the corridor of opportunity leading to the realisation of her dream of flying an aircraft. It was a childhood dream since she was eight and an aeroplane roared above the backyard of her parents’ home in Umudihe. The mechanized bird captured her imagination forever. Growing up, something kept telling her that one day she would fly an aeroplane. But she never discussed it with anybody.
After secondary school, she re-awakened her desire to be a pilot. Almost every night, she sneaked out to a cybercafé in the neighbourhood to browse the internet. Some might have thought she was up to some immoral business. But she was simply taking advantage of the cheaper N100 internet browsing at that time of the night. This was between 2001/2002.
From searching the internet, she got some information on how to school in the United States. She particularly read much about piloting. In the process, she stumbled on Aerospace Engineering, a more challenging course. She momentarily lost interest in piloting. Although she would not dwell on the details, it was clear that providence came to her rescue. Having secured admission to several schools, a stranger bought a one way ticket to Atlanta for her. She arrived in America in 2004 to study Aero Space Engineering. If she thought, America did not offer immediate comfort she longed for. It was a long journey to academic attainment.
For nine good years, she toiled to get a degree that should have taken four years. Determined to succeed, she worked hard, remain focused and persevered. Taking advantage of several opportunities to work, while going to school, sometimes she engaged in four jobs just to survive. Her student Visa posed a different kind of challenge as she had to be in school full time student. Tuition was expensive. Being an international student, it was difficult to get a full scholarship, but she got a small scholarship here and there. Consequently, she had to defer some courses several times to allow time to work for money. This happened four times. She even had to go to Canada in search of better paying jobs.
“I traversed six universities to actualize my dream. I was at Harvard University. I attended University of Alabama briefly and equally registered my presence at Fisk University in Tennessee, North Eastern University in Boston and Massachusetts Institute of Technology before I finally graduated from the Florida Institute of Technology with a degree in Aerospace Engineering. I am a very passionate person and when my heart grabs something it is very hard to let go. I never gave up,” she said.
Amazing story on perseverance.

What an inspiration. Kudos to her.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by donsteady(m): 9:40am On Nov 14, 2016
shogotermies:
how many of them can practise what they have learnt,how many of them knows the wire for life,earth,neutral and other practical principles...

Ptchew,Nigeria is all about qualification not skill acquisition
So you assumed they got all this qualifications by watching telemondu without passing their exams ? You think say na Buhari them be

2 Likes

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by lomprico(m): 9:41am On Nov 14, 2016
Good
Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by freshcvvs: 9:48am On Nov 14, 2016
When una start to dey build real things like una counterpart elsewhere (male\female), I go take una serious.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by WinningDiva: 9:50am On Nov 14, 2016
The women professors in engineering are not even mentioned. Their toiling hardly ends.

1 Like

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by femliany(m): 9:59am On Nov 14, 2016
If you have the opportunity of sending your child to go study outside Nija plss do so....
One man come say her own wife belong to the kitchen....shame.

1 Like

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by goshen26: 10:20am On Nov 14, 2016
Philistine:
Good. Igbo women are well represented. Igbo kwenu!!!

Compare the number of yeast to afonja...stop tribalism
Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by Ahmed4002(m): 10:20am On Nov 14, 2016
grin

My fam on the list

Lolx
Good bless you Ma

1 Like

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by highwaist: 10:29am On Nov 14, 2016
Engineer without invention

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by seguno2: 10:36am On Nov 14, 2016
What have they designed and followed through to actual production as well as subsequent improvements to address pertinent issues in our society?
Are we still not importing engineers for projects in our country?
Are we still not using items created by foreigners and imported from abroad?
No one really deserves to be called an engineer in our country. They are glorified TECHNICIANS.
No more, no less.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by Legend87(m): 10:39am On Nov 14, 2016
Thisis2raw:
All great women.
I will studying hard till I make this kind of Elite list
With this kind of english? True, u need to study hard.
Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by buffalowings: 10:43am On Nov 14, 2016
Breakdown

Afonja 6

Ipob 3

Almajari 1

Proudly afonja cool

Yes maduka joana sounds like Ipob, but we have cleansed her. So we claim her as our own
Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by buffalowings: 10:51am On Nov 14, 2016
shogotermies:
how many of them can practise what they have learnt,how many of them knows the wire for life,earth,neutral and other practical principles...

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by kenny1795(m): 12:18pm On Nov 14, 2016
You that know them, what hv achieved? Nxt time read before talking trash. For your info those ladies proved their worth in the international stage and worked for prestigious companies like google, microsoft and NASA. Attending good schools
shogotermies:

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by Emmandus(m): 1:25pm On Nov 14, 2016
I love it when we appreciate our women folk in the engineering profession.

Nice one

Lest i forget,

I need highly motivated male and female friends who are ready to make lots of money legally online and offline by working from home or during their spare time.

If that sounds like you ! Pls ring me on 07033875827

or whatsapp on 07033875827

Emmanuel

www.emmanuelayeni.com
Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by Bishops10(m): 4:17pm On Nov 14, 2016
Smellymouth:
I smell Front page...

Lalasticlala, whayasay?
Alaga Ibile grin

2 Likes

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by cutelover19(m): 8:02pm On Nov 14, 2016
what is common to all these women?
the answer: at some point in their lives, they all studied abroad. Think about this and tell me what hope is left for future generations.

2 Likes

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:18am On Nov 15, 2016
cutelover19:
what is common to all these women?
the answer: at some point in their lives, they all studied abroad. Think about this and tell me what hope is left for future generations.

They all study and/or practice abroad at some point as they should. Engineering profession is synonymous with industrialisation and technological development which seem to be eluding Africa at the moment. Sad but true.

1 Like

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria by Xkywalker: 12:41pm On Dec 31, 2019
��

(1) (2) (Reply)

Am Thinking Of Quitting My Job / A Colleague Nearly Got Himself Sacked / Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.