Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,611 members, 7,820,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion (5520 Views)

Soil Test & Geotechnical Services In Lagos / Soil Scientist & Geotechnical Test In Kano, Niger, Kaduna, Kebbi, Sokoto,zamfara / Geotechnical/geophysical Survey Training In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 11:03am On Nov 14, 2016
Dear NLs,

I am motivated to share some info about the above field of specialization and will be glad for criticisms and contribution be it as it may be.
Everything doesn't have to start with money; knowledge they say gives everything ..
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 11:22am On Nov 14, 2016
Starting with Geological mapping:
Firstly, a good knowledge of the local geology and map interpretation is needed to carryout geological mapping.
The scope of work, which is the purpose of the field mapping for instance identification of various mineral constituents of a particular area (sheet name of map included), geology and geochemistry of igangan sheet 9, Mineralogical sequence in dahomey basin, economic viability of limestone in igbogila area of ogun state, Mineral exploration/gold deposit exploration in ilesha osun state etc.
Secondly, The map is grid and a reconnaissance survey for inquiry as most maps in Nigeria are outdated google map can aid here and further analysis can be done on it with the help of GIS expert to produce an updated map. Desk-study is also a most at his stage as it helps find out more information about the area under investigation, such information may include culture, tradition and so on.
Thirdly, a local guide must to sort during your reconnaissance visit to lead you through places aside you having the map. As well as adequate security personnel or tool such as cutlass should be part of your kit.
Fourthly, GPS, Compass Clinometer, Grid map, Hammer, sample bag, an assistant(laborer), local guide, security personnel

Most importantly, permission must be sort from all authorities be it local chiefs, farm owners, village head and so on before entering their places.

1 Like

Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 11:33am On Nov 14, 2016
Field work

Provision should be made for deep excavation as in the case of mineral exploration to some meters to determine nearness to surface and depth.
Also, hammer works well with chisel to collect samples to be analyzed in the laboratory.
Polythene bags for soil sample and both stored in different sample bags duly labelled and identified location with GPS and Clinometer streak noted on the map and field log book.
Every information should be adequately recorded and proper mapping done.

Do not defer any information.[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

Laboratory work

This include
Thin section preparation for all rock samples for petrological/Mineral identification
Adequate sieve analysis and Atterberg limit test on soil sample depending on the sample type ( Sand-Sandy-- Sieve (dry/wet) ( Sand-Silty Sand-Wet Sieve, Atterberg limit) Moisture content and other test as may be required or needed from your targeted scope of work.

Thank You....

Next Geophysical and explicitly resistivity survey for groundwater or mineral exploration

2 Likes

Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 3:05pm On Nov 14, 2016
Ground water data interpretation using Winresis and IPI 2Win
Dutch Cone Penetrometer with 10 ton and 2.5 ton respectively....

Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 1:20pm On Nov 15, 2016
Thanks all for the views, am more motivated. Questions, criticism and contribution will be highly appreciated. No one is an island and its get more interesting with contributions.
Thanks all.

1 Like

Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 1:31pm On Nov 15, 2016
Geophysical
I purposely left out stories about definition as this write up is exclusively for enlightenment, its targeted at young professionals or graduates.
A lot of this things we know or just doubt or keep mute when asked questions during interviews or one a more better note to be included in our CV as things we are not novice about.
This knowledge relevance cuts across mining, engineering, construction ,oil and gas works etc.
I am more motivated by a great man Imag5 he has a thread enlightening graduates and professionals on various specialization in the oil and gas industry.
Big thumbs man Imagwe I thank God for you and I appreciate your commitment to the benefit of all.
Geophysical Surveys
Magnetic method
Electrical method
Seismic method
Electromagnetic
Seismoelectrical
Gravity
Remote Sensing/GIS

All these are methods and as at today remote sensing/gis is also an exploration method which can be used extensively.
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 1:53pm On Nov 15, 2016
Resistivity method:
Wenner and Schlumberger
Using Abem 300, Abem 100 or better still our locally produced Tetrameter with Ammeter and Voltmeter

The Schlumberger method is carried out to delineate various strata with the subsoil.
This is done using for electrode two potential, two current at varying lateral distance and constant to slightly varied potential to determine the resistance of each distance at the same time probing at depth into the subsoil.
The data generated when using the imported machine gives Resistivity while our locally manufactured ones gives resistance which we have to do some calculation from the Geometric factor to each Current and Voltage recorded to compute the resistivity at each distance.
The acquired data is either fed into the system on the Winresis application or IPI2Win or interpreted manually after plotting the data on a standard log-log graph page and curve matching chart is used to determine the type of curve.
Good knowledge of the local geology is needed in interpretation and recommendation.
Images of interpreted data have already been uploaded on this page ...
Thanks so much...
Questions, Contribution and critics are welcome

3 Likes

Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 3:39pm On Nov 16, 2016
Thanks NLs for the views.
Interpretation of basement and sedimentary terrain differs.
A good knowledge of the local geology is needed.
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by Fesvit: 1:42am On Nov 17, 2016
Please can I get a detailed method of geophysical survey for underground water/aquifer?
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 7:50am On Nov 17, 2016
Fesvit:
Please can I get a detailed method of geophysical survey for underground water/aquifer?

Sure, I will post it with detailed steps...
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 11:25am On Nov 18, 2016
As requested festvic, the following are the steps to follow when carrying out Resistivity meter method for groundwater exploration.
Kindly read through, I would be glad to provide lucid words wherever you want me to explain more.
Thank you

arkdiggs:
Resistivity method:
Wenner and Schlumberger
Using Abem 300, Abem 100 or better still our locally produced Tetrameter with Ammeter and Voltmeter

The Schlumberger method is carried out to delineate various strata with the subsoil.
This is done using for electrode two potential, two current at varying lateral distance and constant to slightly varied potential to determine the resistance of each distance at the same time probing at depth into the subsoil.
The data generated when using the imported machine gives Resistivity while our locally manufactured ones gives resistance which we have to do some calculation from the Geometric factor to each Current and Voltage recorded to compute the resistivity at each distance.
The acquired data is either fed into the system on the Winresis application or IPI2Win or interpreted manually after plotting the data on a standard log-log graph page and curve matching chart is used to determine the type of curve.
Good knowledge of the local geology is needed in interpretation and recommendation.
Images of interpreted data have already been uploaded on this page ...
Thanks so much...
Questions, Contribution and critics are welcome

1 Like

Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by Fesvit: 11:54am On Nov 21, 2016
Thank you for your quick response, how can I determine the depth of water from the log-log graph or using the readings.
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by Fesvit: 11:55am On Nov 21, 2016
Thank you for your quick response, how can I determine the depth of water from the log-log graph or using the readings.
Thanks
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by Fesvit: 12:04pm On Nov 21, 2016
Thanks
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 2:50pm On Nov 22, 2016
Thanks once again @festvic ... I have stated earlier that a good knowledge of the local geology will help.
Secondly, the resistivity values has a corresponding strata or formation which you have to make reference to
For instance in the Log-log graph I have posted ... The local geology is lagos and typical of sedimentary terrain or environment and the resistivity depicts
Top soil
Clayey/lateritic formation
Iron/Clayey sand formation
Fresh water formation/Sandy clay formation.

And a depth of about 120m was proposed.
Findings reveal that about 160ft which is 50- 80m the formation has strong iron content (salty formation) and from experience it is as a result of presence of peat and other materials in the laterite/ clayey formation causing it.
Thanks so much for following...
I will try upload the software here and steps to use it ...
Thanks so much.
I will be updating more as soon as I find more time.
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by cas4real: 4:18pm On Nov 22, 2016
Please what is approximate depth of a aquifer in sokoto base on the local geology
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 4:49pm On Nov 22, 2016
@cas4real thanks for your question. Have you carried out a resistivity survey in sokoto. Sokoto is typically sedimentary to basement area I.e. comprises of sedimentary formation and basement complex. Therefore, varied aquifers can be gotten in the whole area. From literature: it contains three important artesian aquifers, in addition to regional unconfined ground-water bodies in all the principal outcron areas, and a perched water body in the outcrop of the Kalambaina Formation. Artesian aquifers occur at depth in the Gundumi Formation, the Rima Group, and the Gwandu Formation and are separated from one another by clay beds in the lower part of the Rima Group and the Dange Formation. In outcrop, clay in the Dange Formation also supports the perched water of the Kalambaina Formation. The Gundumi Formation, resting on the basement complex, is composed of varicolored clay, sand, and gravel and attains a thickness of 800 to 1,000 feet in its downdip extensions. Most of the formation is thin bedded and clayey and therefore does not yield large quantities of water to boreholes; the average yield is 2,700 gph (gallons per hour). (All gallons are imperial gallons.) Nevertheless, the upper part of the formation is sandy and more permeable and forms a regional artesian aquifer from which yields of as much as 6,600 gph are obtained from single boreholes. Clay in the lower part of the Rima Group confines the Gundumi aquifer downdip, so that at Rabah and Sokoto, for example, in the River Sokoto fadama (valley floor), artesian flow is found in boreholes screened in the Gundumi. Aquifer tests indicate low transmissivities, ranging from 300 to 5,000 gpd per ft (gallons per day per foot) in the lower part of the Gundumi Formation; but in the upper sandy zone the transmissivities are much higher, reaching 66,000 gpd per ft. In the western part of the Sokoto Basin, more productive aquifers with higher heads usually lie above the Gundumi aquifer so that it is not attractive for development, except in the River Sokoto fadama where artesian flow is possible. The Illo Group, which is in part contemporaneous with the Gundumi Formation, includes interbedded varicolored clay and grit in the southern part of the Sokoto Basin. The upper part of the Illo is known to be water-bearing; however, except for the test borehole at Mungadi, little is known of its subsurface extent and water-yielding potential. Overlying the Gundumi Formation in the central and northern part of the Sokoto Basin are interbedded fine gray sand and dark gray clay of the Wurno and Taloka Formations, separated in the extreme north by clay shale of the Dukamaje Formation. Collectively known as the Rima Group, these sediments attain a thickness of more than 1,000 feet near the Niger border.(Source: USGS. Title of Paper: Aquifers in the Sokoto basin, northwestern Nigeria, with a description of the general hydrogeology of the region.)
Conclusively, due to its varied or different geologic formation, various aquiferous depth can be recommended up to about 700m in some areas and as slow as 200m in some areas bearing in mind that the yield may be insufficient or probably NO SUPPLY from the formation.

Thanks I appreciate your question.
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by femzey(m): 5:16pm On Nov 22, 2016
please house I need HSE or any engineering job,I have HND mechanical engineering upper credit HSE level 3 from ispon and also a graduate member fire protection association of Nigeria.. femi_jimoh2000@yahoo.com or contact me on 08137726375
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 10:19am On Nov 23, 2016
HOW TO USE WINRESIS APPLICATION

Kindly launch the application
choose the[b] S [/b]- Schlumberger array
Press[b] E[/b]- to input Entries
Input VES DATA
follow by[b] Q[/b]
N
C
Y

NAME OF AREA/CLIENT
NAME OF AREA/CLIENT--AGAIN
M- MODEL
5 OR[b] 4[/b]
T--THICKNESS
LAYERS- CHOOSE WITH DISCRETION
C, C FOR 30 TIMES,[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
S
SITE NAME

THATS ALL
PRESS
CONTRL ALT PRINT SCRN
TO COPY AND PASTE IN A WORD DOCUMENT

kindly ask questions ...
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 10:39am On Nov 23, 2016
ON USING IPI2WIN FOR DATA INTERPRETATION FOR GROUNDWATER EXPLORATION

I have attached a lucid note for the process.
Kindly post your suggestions, questions and data here, we can analyze it together...

Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by Fesvit: 10:34pm On Nov 23, 2016
arkdiggs:
HOW TO USE WINRESIS APPLICATION

Kindly launch the application
choose the[b] S [/b]- Schlumberger array
Press[b] E[/b]- to input Entries
Input VES DATA
follow by[b] Q[/b]
N
C
Y

NAME OF AREA/CLIENT
NAME OF AREA/CLIENT--AGAIN
M- MODEL
5 OR[b] 4[/b]
T--THICKNESS
LAYERS- CHOOSE WITH DISCRETION
C, C FOR 30 TIMES,[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
S
SITE NAME

THATS ALL
PRESS
CONTRL ALT PRINT SCRN
TO COPY AND PASTE IN A WORD DOCUMENT

kindly ask questions ...

Wow, man you are good. may your pot of knowledge never dry.
Going to field tomorrow to take some readings with a senior colleague. Hope to share my experience.

1 Like

Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 6:48am On Nov 24, 2016
@fesvit thanks
Amen for us all.
Am sure your field experience is gonna be a nice one but it always require little energy .
All the best ...
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by Fesvit: 7:25pm On Nov 24, 2016
arkdiggs:
@fesvit thanks
Amen for us all.
Am sure your field experience is gonna be a nice one but it always require little energy .
All the best ...
Was not possible today again...... client wahala..... hoping tomorrow or so, ll keep you guys posted.
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by careersome: 8:25am On Nov 25, 2016
What is a Geologist?

A geologist is a scientist who studies the rocks, soil, and minerals of the earth. Geologists explore the earth to understand how it works and predict natural hazard events such as earthquake and volcanic eruptions. Their investigations also help in locating, extracting and protecting the natural resources of the earth.

A geologist should be curious, observant, methodical, analytical and adaptable, and have the ability to interpret geological processes. They should also have good critical thinking and problem solving skills, and the ability and willingness to travel and perform field work.

for more follow the link http://careersome.com/biological-and-physical-sciences/geologist.html
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 12:52pm On Dec 16, 2016
I am so sorry for my absences and inconsistent update on this thread.

I am back now and will continue from where we stop.

Thanks for your views and comment.

Let's go there
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 12:59pm On Dec 16, 2016
@fesvit
How was your site experience. You didn't let us know how your practise on the interpretation and data acquisition went.
Let's gear your views

@careersome
Definitions aren't want matters, no one is gonna ask you about that its just an insight and I belief you have the insight .
I am talking about what you can sell or what can sell you.
Most of what u have posted gives people money
In Lagos or Ogun state Geophysical survey goes for not less than 40k depending on location and your bargaining power.

Only the Knowledgeable are wise
Be wise
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 1:00pm On Jan 26, 2017
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by onyeogalu1(m): 10:38pm On Feb 09, 2017
please can u help with IPI2WIN software ?
Thanks
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 9:11am On Feb 10, 2017
onyeogalu1:
please can u help with IPI2WIN software ?

Thanks
sure i will post the link soon
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by arkdiggs(m): 4:39pm On Feb 10, 2017
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by onyeogalu1(m): 10:38pm On Feb 10, 2017
arkdiggs:

Thanks
Re: Geological, Geotechnical, Geophysical And Geochemical Works - Discussion by onyeogalu1(m): 7:07am On Mar 28, 2017
arkdiggs:

please after inputting the data and saving it, IPI2WIN just refuse to show this curve.
Please help me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This Is the Reason I Make Progress and the Reason You Don't [Picture] / Hepatitis & Company Medicals? / Biochemistry And NNPC.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.