Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? (20698 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman / Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by mrrights: 3:50pm On Nov 14, 2016
ISN’T CHIMAMANDA ADICHIE RACIST?
Abdulrazaq O Hamzat

Since the emergence of MR D.J Trump as US president elect, issue of racism has became a burning topic. The real or perceived racist rhetoric’s of Mr Trump, during the campaign period has led to fear, election violence and wide spread protest against his emergence as the US president.

Few days, after Mr Trump emerged winner of US presidential election, Nigerian writer, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was invited to a BBC discussion and something strange was said.

Those close to me can testify that I admire Chimamanda Adichie so much for her vocal personality. Not only do I often find time to watch interviews and events she is featured, I also do read most of her articles. Despite the fact that I am not a fan of novels, because of Adichie, I became one.

Although, while I sometimes find myself disagreeing with her views on issues, that didn’t in anyway, take away the love and admiration I have for her as person. Probably, this opinion of mine is another way of disagreeing with her.

Here is the issue.

Today, while surfing the Internet, I came across a story on nairaland front page with the caption, ‘’Chimamanda Adichie on Trump, Racism and the KKK’’ https://www.nairaland.com/3464690/chimamanda-adichie-trump-racism-kkk#51026721. The story was a video of her discussion on BBC Newsnight, about the outcome of the US election with Editor –in-Chief of a conservative magazine, American Spectator, Emmett Tyrrell.

As usual, I open the story and read through. However, not only did I read through the story, I equally watched the video to be sure some transcript or words, ascribed to Adichie was actually hers. As I watch the very heated and engaging discussion, in which Adichie sat down with style, emitting character and confidence, making me admire her even more. I can’t but shake my head in disbelief, when she expressed some views I consider very offensive to justify her stance on D.J Trump’s racists rhetoric’s during the just concluded US presidential election.

During the discussion, BBC reporter, Emily Maitlis explained that, some Republican members, such as Paul Ryan and others have acknowledged the fact that, US President elect, Mr D.J Trump used some racist language while running his campaign. However, Mr Emmett disagreed . According to him, ‘’that’s not true, he, (referring to Mr Trump) hasn’t been racist he said. He went on to ask what racist comment D.J Trump made during the campaign and Adichie responded by citing the comment made against a judge handling Mr Trump’s case, in which the then Republican nominee said, ‘’a judge, a united states judge is unable to judge him fairly because he his Mexican. That is racist, said Adichie.
Sincerely speaking, Mr Emmett is being economical with the truth. Every objective follower of US presidential campaign wouldn’t deny the numerous racist comments made by Mr Trump. Yet Mr Emmett did, which is what most political pundits often do to defend their favored politician.

As i was pointing out the bias and sentimental position of Mr Emmett to the person watching the video with me, Adichie didn’t allow me; instead, she fired a disgusting missile about racism to justify her stands. I mean, she made a very offensive remark, similar to what she said made Trump racist.

Hear her:
‘’If you are a white man, you don’t get to define what racism is. I am sorry, you really don’t’’. Adichie said.

Firstly, there is something fundamentally wrong with Adichie’s statement. In fact, everything is wrong with it.

Here is why.

According to Adichie, Mr D.J Trump is racist, because he said a judge won’t judge him fairly because he his Mexican. Then, Adichie went on to say, ‘’If you are a white man, you don’t get to define what racism is.’’ Meaning, you can’t discuss racism fairly simply because you are white.

If D. J Trump is a racist based on what he said about the Mexican judge, I am afraid, isn’t Adichie also guilty of the same offense for what she said about white people ?
Mr Emmett responded appropriately by saying, ‘’ Do you know the false consciousness, which is the theory you are talking about in concept. I mean, you are saying, I cannot even open my mouth here because I am a white man?’’. The stunned white man felt very hurt and confused.
But that’s exactly what Adichie is saying. That a white man can’t talk racism fairly or get to define racism appropriately because he his white. This in itself, is a racist comment I believe.

Instructively, when US president elect, D.J Trump made those racist remarks about the US Mexican judge, thousands, if not millions of white men and women in America condemned him for racism. So did thousands, if not millions of colored people, including African Americans.

Similarly, other thousands, if not millions of white men and women defended Trump against the same accusation, and so did colored people, including African Americans.

Paul Ryan, quoted by BBC reporter Emiley, as acknowledging Trump to have used racist language is also a white man. It is therefore unreasonable, and highly condemnable for Adichie to look down on Mr Emmett, by claiming he cannot define racism fairly simply because of his color or race.

By extension, the racist statement made by Adichie isn’t just about Mr Emmitt as a person, it went beyond him. It is indirectly telling all white men and women who have been condemning racism that no matter what they do to stand against racism, in the eyes of people like Adichie, they can’t be fair because they are white.

Let me conclude by stating that, the word racism itself cannot be claimed to have originated from colored people or Africans. While root of the word is not clear, Linguitists generally agree that it came to the English language from Middle French.

To then claim that a white man cannot define racism, simply because he his white is not only ignorant and offensive , but it is also racist.

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Eastactivist: 4:06pm On Nov 14, 2016
So how does it equate to adichie being a racist?

84 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by mrrights: 5:09pm On Nov 14, 2016
The same way Trump is

3 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by mrrights: 9:56pm On Nov 14, 2016
sad
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by PayBoyXclusives(m): 6:39am On Nov 15, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by ibkgab001: 6:39am On Nov 15, 2016
This world is coming to an end

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by jeeqaa7(m): 6:40am On Nov 15, 2016
who cares?

5 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by coptic: 6:41am On Nov 15, 2016
OP, you are a great thinker...

However, I wouldn't call that being racist.

It was the retort of someone who has seen her people trampled on only by virtue of their skin color.

The voice of a lady who has had enough.

That's truth speaking.

She wasn't being racist, in that she only acted defensively. Saying it as it is. Intent matters.

It may seem like she put them all in one basket, but that was rather a defensive mechanism than an intent to paint all whites a certain way.

It does have the impact of racism, but she's far from a racist. So, if you would do justice, I think you should look into her motive.

She may be too articulated to not use the right vocabs at such moment, but the scenario must be looked into critically before labeling her a racist or not. Words fail us sometimes. Even a pastor could say loads of shiit in the heat of the moment; it still doesn't take away the fact that the Lord considers him righteous enough (now, I'm talking about a truthful pastor, and not these money mongers). Hope that doesn't make me prejudicial. tongue

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by brostheo(m): 6:42am On Nov 15, 2016
k
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by iceberryose(m): 6:43am On Nov 15, 2016
Humans are hypocrites.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Eibams60(m): 6:43am On Nov 15, 2016
mtcheeew. I was tinkin is somtin serios

7 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Smellymouth: 6:43am On Nov 15, 2016
Ok
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 6:43am On Nov 15, 2016
Too much grammatical errors in the write up made the reading so tiring. embarassed

In short, this writeup is a very good example of saying alot of things butt actually said nothing...

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 6:44am On Nov 15, 2016
Op have you considered if she meant the statement in the context of "he who wears the shoe knows where it pinches" ?

83 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by chiwetaluAGU(m): 6:44am On Nov 15, 2016
angry angry
Abokki where you belong sef? angry sad
I no blame you cause for naija here your brothers carry tribalism and oppressing other tribes for head like tren pan. North dey get everything through quota system and other senseless illogical means while marginalising others. Yet na you people dey cry marginalization pass. Hypocrisy no go kill una. Leave adichie and her americana alone. Note also that you and your brothers are not in position to tell me about marginalisation. angry sad

Useless and senseless talk angry

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Philistine(m): 6:44am On Nov 15, 2016
She is even worse than a racist.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Sealeddeal(m): 6:45am On Nov 15, 2016
Mind You Op, Adichie made that statement before she gave an example of Trump's racist comment about US Judge.
The Statement can be termed Racist going by the meaning of racism but interracial discrimination is not common against the European whites. It's always against other racial group and in a place like America, there is no feeling of racial discrimination among whites. So, if I am not a woman,I have not ability to explain how to feel during Menstruation even though I know what Menstruation is. Op,you get the analogy?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by eph12(m): 6:45am On Nov 15, 2016
Eastactivist:

Can you read? If yes patiently read.

7 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by warlord24(m): 6:45am On Nov 15, 2016
who f king care...

even your mother wont excort u to heaven or hell..

for the beb

who caresssss
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by OBAGADAFFI: 6:45am On Nov 15, 2016
The comments from that Lady isn't new.

Most black with victim mentality, always use racism to blackmail everyone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 6:45am On Nov 15, 2016
Of course she's a racist . Hiding under the disguise of oppression when in truth she's not any different from the same people she's judging.

I think she harassed and intimidated that man and that is quite typical of her passive aggressive personality.

She needs to take a chill pill.

13 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by 9jaBloke: 6:46am On Nov 15, 2016
I'm not booking space. I actually took time to read this & this is all I have to say.

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Mopolchi: 6:46am On Nov 15, 2016
Eastactivist:
Shebi na abokí write am, wetin you expect?

7 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by 200dexter(m): 6:47am On Nov 15, 2016
A black can't be racist
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by foladara777(m): 6:47am On Nov 15, 2016
Let's be realistic, if you have never been a victim of racism, you can't claim to understand it... Just like straight people claiming they understand what it means to be gay in a country like Nigeria or someone who has always been rich claiming that he understand poverty.
And racism is not just discrimination... It's essentially an erroneous notion that one race- your race is superior to another. A white person in America has d same advantages as others but a black is naturally disadvantaged because of centuries of the suppression of d black race...
So... No, claiming a white person doesn't understand racism is not racist, it's d bitter truth

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by mjbaba: 6:48am On Nov 15, 2016
mrrights:
ISN’T CHIMAMANDA ADICHIE RACIST?
Abdulrazaq O Hamzat

Since the emergence of MR D.J Trump as US president elect, issue of racism has became a burning topic. The real or perceived racist rhetoric’s of Mr Trump, during the campaign period has led to fear, election violence and wide spread protest against his emergence as the US president.

Few days, after Mr Trump emerged winner of US presidential election, Nigerian writer, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was invited to a BBC discussion and something strange was said.

Those close to me can testify that I admire Chimamanda Adichie so much for her vocal personality. Not only do I often find time to watch interviews and events she is featured, I also do read most of her articles. Despite the fact that I am not a fan of novels, because of Adichie, I became one.

Although, while I sometimes find myself disagreeing with her views on issues, that didn’t in anyway, take away the love and admiration I have for her as person. Probably, this opinion of mine is another way of disagreeing with her.

Here is the issue.

Today, while surfing the Internet, I came across a story on nairaland front page with the caption, ‘’Chimamanda Adichie on Trump, Racism and the KKK’’. The story was a video of her discussion on BBC Newsnight, about the outcome of the US election with Editor –in-Chief of a conservative magazine, American Spectator, Emmett Tyrrell.

As usual, I open the story and read through. However, not only did I read through the story, I equally watched the video to be sure some transcript or words, ascribed to Adichie was actually hers. As I watch the very heated and engaging discussion, in which Adichie sat down with style, emitting character and confidence, making me admire her even more. I can’t but shake my head in disbelief, when she expressed some views I consider very offensive to justify her stance on D.J Trump’s racists rhetoric’s during the just concluded US presidential election.

During the discussion, BBC reporter, Emily Maitlis explained that, some Republican members, such as Paul Ryan and others have acknowledged the fact that, US President elect, Mr D.J Trump used some racist language while running his campaign. However, Mr Emmett disagreed . According to him, ‘’that’s not true, he, (referring to Mr Trump) hasn’t been racist he said. He went on to ask what racist comment D.J Trump made during the campaign and Adichie responded by citing the comment made against a judge handling Mr Trump’s case, in which the then Republican nominee said, ‘’a judge, a united states judge is unable to judge him fairly because he his Mexican. That is racist, said Adichie.
Sincerely speaking, Mr Emmett is being economical with the truth. Every objective follower of US presidential campaign wouldn’t deny the numerous racist comments made by Mr Trump. Yet Mr Emmett did, which is what most political pundits often do to defend their favored politician.

As i was pointing out the bias and sentimental position of Mr Emmett to the person watching the video with me, Adichie didn’t allow me; instead, she fired a disgusting missile about racism to justify her stands. I mean, she made a very offensive remark, similar to what she said made Trump racist.

Hear her:
‘’If you are a white man, you don’t get to define what racism is. I am sorry, you really don’t’’. Adichie said.

Firstly, there is something fundamentally wrong with Adichie’s statement. In fact, everything is wrong with it.

Here is why.

According to Adichie, Mr D.J Trump is racist, because he said a judge won’t judge him fairly because he his Mexican. Then, Adichie went on to say, ‘’If you are a white man, you don’t get to define what racism is.’’ Meaning, you can’t discuss racism fairly simply because you are white.

If D. J Trump is a racist based on what he said about the Mexican judge, I am afraid, isn’t Adichie also guilty of the same offense for what she said about white people ?
Mr Emmett responded appropriately by saying, ‘’ Do you know the false consciousness, which is the theory you are talking about in concept. I mean, you are saying, I cannot even open my mouth here because I am a white man?’’. The stunned white man felt very hurt and confused.
But that’s exactly what Adichie is saying. That a white man can’t talk racism fairly or get to define racism appropriately because he his white. This in itself, is a racist comment I believe.

Instructively, when US president elect, D.J Trump made those racist remarks about the US Mexican judge, thousands, if not millions of white men and women in America condemned him for racism. So did thousands, if not millions of colored people, including African Americans.

Similarly, other thousands, if not millions of white men and women defended Trump against the same accusation, and so did colored people, including African Americans.

Paul Ryan, quoted by BBC reporter Emiley, as acknowledging Trump to have used racist language is also a white man. It is therefore unreasonable, and highly condemnable for Adichie to look down on Mr Emmett, by claiming he cannot define racism fairly simply because of his color or race.

By extension, the racist statement made by Adichie isn’t just about Mr Emmitt as a person, it went beyond him. It is indirectly telling all white men and women who have been condemning racism that no matter what they do to stand against racism, in the eyes of people like Adichie, they can’t be fair because they are white.

Let me conclude by stating that, the word racism itself cannot be claimed to have originated from colored people or Africans. While root of the word is not clear, Linguitists generally agree that it came to the English language from Middle French.

To then claim that a white man cannot define racism, simply because he his white is not only ignorant and offensive , but it is also racist.
Ok. Noted
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Jexyme(f): 6:49am On Nov 15, 2016
Yes she is and she's uniquely rude.......

What and all you're can just disappear in a minute.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by LEAFLET(m): 6:49am On Nov 15, 2016
I'm very saddened by people's misconception about the interview Chiamanda granted bbc. She was just being objective and straight to the point. How can a white man define racism when he's never felt it before? Can a man describe childbirth or relate to women periods?? People just open their mouth and say anything. If you watch the interview, She tried to subtly point to the man the character of Trump and the white man tried to downplay all the things that Trump did or said before he won as mere fallacy which is hard for Amanda to Understand. That's natural. Let's use common sense here.

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 6:49am On Nov 15, 2016
abiodunalasa:
This write up is a very good example of saying alot of things but actually said nothing. And then too much grammatical errors in the write up made the reading so tiring. embarassed
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 6:49am On Nov 15, 2016
I agree with her, since a lot of US whites have never really known the true taste of racism they can't define it, taking into account how many blacks were treated with severe racist hatred.

8 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by martineverest(m): 6:50am On Nov 15, 2016
blacks will always cry of being the victims of racism,but they ve forgotten that tribalism is d worst form of racism

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by bluaero(m): 6:50am On Nov 15, 2016
Who cares about the opinions of that pained feminist biatch

A man beat a woman this time in the US election, please deal with it undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shadow(vengence!! / == A Thief In The Church == ( A Short Story ) / Story:lost In A Cold World(an Emotional Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.