Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,195 members, 7,835,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? (20737 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman / Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Generalyemi(m): 6:51am On Nov 15, 2016
OP. this is not our fundamental problem right now in this country..... irrelevant bloggers
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by joycesims(f): 6:51am On Nov 15, 2016
She is, Most Nlnders are, You could be, I may have been, The whole word may be ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by juniior(m): 6:51am On Nov 15, 2016
She hates white people angry because she thinks all of em are racist. Dats just un fair n bad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by NeChErEnO1(m): 6:52am On Nov 15, 2016
plz who posted this? Huh? undecided
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by AlPeter: 6:53am On Nov 15, 2016
200dexter:
A black can't be racist
yea, but a mexican can? A Chinese can? The black race is deluded.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by brilliant5(m): 6:54am On Nov 15, 2016
Lol... Wen i saw the thread was eager to kw wat OP meant.... My opinion... White pple dont get to define racism. Adichie was ryt.

3 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Noneroone(m): 6:54am On Nov 15, 2016
Op if i say i understand you then i am the biggest liar in the world.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by rhektor(m): 6:55am On Nov 15, 2016
Eastactivist:
So how does it equate to adichie being a racist?

Did you read this article at all? If you did and still find it difficult to reason then you must be another racist
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by africanusvu(m): 6:56am On Nov 15, 2016
OP.pls if u av notin to say.then keep quiet.ur augment hold no water.think of somtin else to say against adiche if so wish.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by rhektor(m): 6:56am On Nov 15, 2016
Eibams60:
mtcheeew. I was tinkin is somtin serios

Racism is serious, it is only racists that don't take it serious
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by chavesky(m): 6:57am On Nov 15, 2016
I agree with chimamanda Adichie, a white man or woman can't give an accurate view on racism, why? Because neither them or their ancestors can say they have been victims of racism.

4 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Eibams60(m): 6:58am On Nov 15, 2016
rhektor:

Racism is serious, it is only racists that don't take it serious
ok
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by rhektor(m): 7:00am On Nov 15, 2016
2dugged:
Op have you considered if she meant the statement in the context of "he who wears the shoe knows where it pinches" ?

No matter how painful you are, shifting blames on others is equally a terrible character. It is gross irresponsibility. What context can you explain that? The truth is that many black are people are racists, in fact many nairalanders are racists. When they get cornered they begin to exhibit the victim mentality.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by rhektor(m): 7:01am On Nov 15, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:
The comments from that Lady isn't new.

Most black with victim mentality, always use racism to blackmail everyone.

Exactly
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Sirblack1(m): 7:01am On Nov 15, 2016
I agree With her on this particular Statement ,white people have never been victims of racism ,so they don't get that how it feels being victimised due to the colour of their skin. #white people don't get to define racism.....

2 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by rhektor(m): 7:02am On Nov 15, 2016
Mopolchi:
Shebi na abokí write am, wetin you expect?

Meaning what? You just exhibit another racist attitude, get help please
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 7:03am On Nov 15, 2016
Chimamanda's Americanah and Half of a Yellow Sun both portrayed dislike for The western World. OK. That line was chiefly for the "Americanah". But the Yellow sun just portrays hatred for almost all races.... All should I say tribes? The lady self...
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by davour(m): 7:05am On Nov 15, 2016
I thought it was something important .... When I read comments I was able to guess d headline was nonsense
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Mopolchi: 7:06am On Nov 15, 2016
rhektor:

Meaning what? You just exhibit another racist attitude, get help please
guy chill! you just dey walka around for nairaland dey label people racist.

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by rhektor(m): 7:06am On Nov 15, 2016
Generalyemi:
OP. this is not our fundamental problem right now in this country..... irrelevant bloggers

What is our fundermetal problem? What I ask again? How did we get here, if not not through a branch of racism? North vs South, South East vs South West, South South vs South West, Hausa Fulani vs Igbo, Igbo vs Yoruba, Yoruba and Hausa vs Igbo and others, Hausa vs Yoruba etc and you come here to spew thrash that thus isn't our fund problem? All these kids at heart Mtchewwwwwwwww
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by devvland(m): 7:07am On Nov 15, 2016
Sealeddeal:
Mind You Op, Adichie made that statement before she gave an example of Trump's racist comment about US Judge.
The Statement can be termed Racist going by the meaning of racism but interracial discrimination is not common against the European whites. It's always against other racial group and in a place like America, there is no feeling of racial discrimination among whites. So, if I am not a woman,I have not ability to explain how to feel during Menstruation even though I know what Menstruation is. Op,you get the analogy?

WORD!

2 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Caleycash(m): 7:07am On Nov 15, 2016
Bleep USA, Bleep all you talking about you USA all the time!!
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by rhektor(m): 7:08am On Nov 15, 2016
Mopolchi:
guy chill! you just dey walka around for nairaland dey label people racist.

Label people? Or deduce meaning from what they said? This is how Nigeria's problems started racism is the evil that needs to be dealt with.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by OBAGADAFFI: 7:09am On Nov 15, 2016
foladara777:
Let's be realistic, if you have never been a victim of racism, you can't claim to understand it... Just like straight people claiming they understand what it means to be gay in a country like Nigeria or someone who has always been rich claiming that he understand poverty.
And racism is not just discrimination... It's essentially an erroneous notion that one race- your race is superior to another. A white person in America has d same advantages as others but a black is naturally disadvantaged because of centuries of the suppression of d black race...
So... No, claiming a white person doesn't understand racism is not racist, it's d bitter truth

And what will you say about Whites that fought against racism.

If you say whites should not talk about racism, you are simply saying whites should not join the fight against racism.

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 15, 2016
I totally agree with Chimamanda on this. Its like trying to tell a woman who has just lost her child that you know how she feels when you have actually never lost anyone close to you before.

You don't get to tell my story if you have not walked a mile in my shoe before.
Whites have no business defining racism since they have never been a victim.

My opinion

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by rhektor(m): 7:10am On Nov 15, 2016
Sirblack1:
I agree With her on this particular Statement ,white people have never been victims of racism ,so they don't get that how it feels being victimised due to the colour of their skin. #white people don't get to define racism.....
Which mean according to you, Racism is black man language? SMH black, we black people must rise beyond this victim mentality
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 7:10am On Nov 15, 2016
rhektor:

No matter how painful you are, shifting blames on others is equally a terrible character. It is gross irresponsibility. What context can you explain that? The truth is that many black are people are racists, in fact many nairalanders are racists. When they get cornered they begin to exhibit the victim mentality.
you seem not to get what 2dugged said,I believe she brought out another angle it could be looked at,it's like telling me " I know how you feel " and I ask you " have you been in this predicament before ", and you say " no" then my next logical reply should be " then you obviously don't know how I feel ". It doesn't mean I don't appreciate you for trying to put yourself in my shoes or that I detest you, it only means you can't fully understand how I feel because you have not been in that predicament before

You can't expect everyone to look at things from one angle, but truth be told any form of discrimination under any guise be it tribalism or racism is bad

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Mopolchi: 7:11am On Nov 15, 2016
rhektor:

Label people? Or deduce meaning from what they said? This is how Nigeria's problems started racism is the evil that needs to be dealt with.
Guy you feel say you fit solve the Nigerian problem? Anyway let me help you, the proper word is tribalism not racism.

2 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Akinaukwa: 7:17am On Nov 15, 2016
Who Adichie epp?
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by samsard(m): 7:20am On Nov 15, 2016
abiodunalasa:
Too much grammatical errors in the write up made the reading so tiring. embarassed

In short, this writeup is a very good example of saying alot of things butt actually said nothing...
Are on Nairaland to critic people's command of grammar or to relate with the message being passed across? SMH
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by OBAGADAFFI: 7:21am On Nov 15, 2016
rhektor:

Exactly

She forgot that Blacks too are be racist, when they give preferential treatment to black over other race.

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by samsard(m): 7:22am On Nov 15, 2016
Sealeddeal:
Mind You Op, Adichie made that statement before she gave an example of Trump's racist comment about US Judge.
The Statement can be termed Racist going by the meaning of racism but interracial discrimination is not common against the European whites. It's always against other racial group and in a place like America, there is no feeling of racial discrimination among whites. So, if I am not a woman,I have not ability to explain how to feel during Menstruation even though I know what Menstruation is. Op,you get the analogy?
Acts of racism against white people being uncommon does not make it any less hurtful. So your analogy does not fly, for me.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"Mohammed Ali At The Ring-side, 1985" - A Poem By Wole Soyinka / The Italian's Baby Mother / == A Thief In The Church == ( A Short Story )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.