Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,667 members, 7,955,412 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:29 AM

As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? (26667 Views)

My Tenants Will Not Pay House Rent / First Time Landlord : I Shunned A Family House To Build Mine / How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by dangotesmummy: 6:57am On Nov 17, 2016
Hand it over to your lawyer otherwise you will BE severely exploited.let him help you and by the way get a caretaker. It's the caretaker that will deal with your tenants personally.

Nigerians are naturally not nice and are ready to abuse YOU in every way possible.the only thing that keeps them civil to a degree is when they're aware the law is enforceable.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by lepasharon(f): 6:58am On Nov 17, 2016
Respect ur elders. Give him half price

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by bestower: 6:58am On Nov 17, 2016
Get a lawyer,if probably get urself an apartment outside d house d lawyer will take good care of d house till when u re mentally ready and mature to give decisions without been intimidated by ur tenants.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by agulion: 6:58am On Nov 17, 2016
You could have attached your pics for easy accessment
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by emperorAY(m): 6:59am On Nov 17, 2016
I think u need a verry good lawyer, bt ar u sure d house is in good shape?
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Nobody: 6:59am On Nov 17, 2016
deparagon:
I try as much as I can to be good and this man is trying as much as he can to take advantage of me, what do i do? Change or continue being good and get trampled upon?

I happen to be a very young landlord by circumstance ie i inherited a property from my late dad let me hold it here.
Now there is this man i rented a one bedroom apartment to, and being that i'm young maybe he thinks i don't know the value of money he chooses to pay it in instalment, imagine him paying 1yr rent of 80k in a period of 5mounts, now the problem is i was adviced to hand over the property to a lawyer, the man has been intimidating me as to why i had to do such a thing.
Pls ur candid opinion.
Am assuming the lawyer will become your property agent. That's a good idea. It's never a good idea to deal with tenants directly. Agents collect, take a TINY percentage and deposit the rest on your account. And don't Intervene when the agents start dealing with harshly with the tenants.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by markbenny(m): 7:00am On Nov 17, 2016
Use someone as a scape goat and remind them who is in charge.

You can infact arrange police so you don't break any rules. Give the police 1k for nkowbi n stout

2 Likes

Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Idydarling(f): 7:02am On Nov 17, 2016
dingbang:
it seems Patience Ozokwor is ur mom grin
and ur mkpokporo didn't seem to realize that I wrote those words in pidgin
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by ednut1(m): 7:06am On Nov 17, 2016
Kandaha:
He shouldn't pay installmentally save you agreed to that. Drop your email or digits. I am a Lawyer and my practice is based on Property... I have seen worse , trust me!
no such tin as installmentally bros. na instalments
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by dingbang(m): 7:06am On Nov 17, 2016
Idydarling:
and ur mkpokporo didn't seem to realize that I wrote those words in pidgin
chill please. U take things seriously! Damn
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by fkdmods: 7:08am On Nov 17, 2016
deparagon:
I try as much as I can to be good and this man is trying as much as he can to take advantage of me, what do i do? Change or continue being good and get trampled upon?

I happen to be a very young landlord by circumstance ie i inherited a property from my late dad let me hold it here.
Now there is this man i rented a one bedroom apartment to, and being that i'm young maybe he thinks i don't know the value of money he chooses to pay it in instalment, imagine him paying 1yr rent of 80k in a period of 5mounts, now the problem is i was adviced to hand over the property to a lawyer, the man has been intimidating me as to why i had to do such a thing.
Pls ur candid opinion.

Go get a professional or a lawyer to run your affairs.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Chocogold: 7:12am On Nov 17, 2016
Kandaha:
He shouldn't pay installmentally save you agreed to that. Drop your email or digits. I am a Lawyer and my practice is based on Property... I have seen worse , trust me!
Oga lawyer, I hope you won't charge the young man if he take heeds to your advise.

1 Like

Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Dinocarex(m): 7:16am On Nov 17, 2016
deparagon:

Pls ur candid opinion.

Why should you have to handle your properties to a Lawyer? Is the lawyer a qualified Estate Manager? The only person you should handle your property to is a qualified Estate Management. I am an Estate Manager.
Do not patronize the quacks (Lawyers) that handles properties. They will frustrate you. Evidences are clear on Nairaland that Lawyers will frustrate your properties (Tenants and Landlord).
Approach a certified Estate Management company today.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by dking123: 7:18am On Nov 17, 2016
I think this is the best advice. better deal with a bad tenant than deal with a crook lawyer.

seunfly:

Becarefull of the lawyer u will hand it over to, when it comes to money, trust no one. The lawyer can even be worse than your tenant.

My advice, walk up to few land lands in your area, find out the best lawyer in ur environment b4 you commit your self.

I hope u have mother who is a bit older, I suggest u let her handle that matter while she reports back to you.

Op I warn you, be very careful of d lawyer you hand over to, an average Nigerian is still A Nigerian when it comes to money.

Pls don't get me wrong, there are many Nigerians that are very good and trust worthy but be very careful.

Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Jarus(m): 7:20am On Nov 17, 2016
Best advice has already been given: hand it over to a trusted lawyer and let him manage the relationship on professional level.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Johnsown1(m): 7:21am On Nov 17, 2016
deparagon:

Pls ur candid opinion.

If u can't handle it; get a lawyer for help, your a man and i have not heard of a man that has two heads or dickson.
Bucckle up and call him for a meeting to know why he behaves such, know the condition of his business,if ur not satisfied with his explanation then fire him.cos ur the man
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Dinocarex(m): 7:23am On Nov 17, 2016
Kandaha:
Oga Lawyer, you are part of those quacks we are fighting against daily. Are you a certified Estate Manager?
Can any other professional represent a plaintiff or defendant in court apart from a Lawyer? Why are you diving into a profession that's not yours.
When we have defaulting tenants, we will call you to represent us in court not entirely take what we ought to do from US.

Evidences have shown that Lawyers doesn't know know the nitty-gritty of Estate Management. No wonder 99.9% of problems faced by Nairalnders on issue relating to Property are caused by the 'Quacks - Lawyers'
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Zirah: 7:28am On Nov 17, 2016
Correct me if this is wrong. Your tenant is definitely igbo. If I'm right, let me know. I'll tell you what to do.

deparagon:

Pls ur candid opinion.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Zirah: 7:29am On Nov 17, 2016
Exactly.

Chocogold:

Oga lawyer, I hope you won't charge the young man if he take heeds to your advise.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by fkj950ax(m): 7:29am On Nov 17, 2016
deparagon:

Pls ur candid opinion.

Hand the property to a Property Lawyer, not estate agent, Property Lawyer, and offer him 25% commission on rent collected as the only payment for services he'd get.

You'd be surprised the effectiveness of rent collection and your tenant behaving himself.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Nemesis99(m): 7:31am On Nov 17, 2016
Once he pays the entire rent, give him quit notice and allow him the grace of 3months. But while at that, involve the law.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by alch3mist(m): 7:33am On Nov 17, 2016
Hand it over to a lawyer... Trust me it'll save you from naija tenement wahalla
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Aginjusola: 7:36am On Nov 17, 2016
deparagon:

Pls ur candid opinion.
ask him to pay YOUR WAY BECAUSE IS YOUR HOME . If he don't agree call police and get him out and say he threatening to kill you or whatever to make the eviction process faster.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Jok3r(m): 7:40am On Nov 17, 2016
deparagon:

Pls ur candid opinion.

as a man. u shud b strong nd neva fear intimadation. if any tenants intimedate u shine ur eye for dem mk dem no say u b landlord.. as d rent payment don't collect instalmentally he shud pay completely
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by QuietHammer(m): 7:42am On Nov 17, 2016
seXytOhbAd:
Ha! So OP na you dey knock on my door for the 16k balance ehn? You Don mad finish, carry our issue come nairand ehn. No wahala. I go dey do instalment payment for that 16k. Omo ale, omo jati jati
You probably have mental issues if this is your idea of a joke
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by talktonase(m): 7:55am On Nov 17, 2016
Kandaha:
correct guy see as him don get client sharply!
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Idrismusty97(m): 7:57am On Nov 17, 2016
In Nigeria Age is some kind of Superpower. Try that on me and you will know i don't give a damn about your age.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Teespice(f): 7:58am On Nov 17, 2016
Kandaha:

sharp guy.

I raise Beyonce hand for you.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by bobbybrown007: 8:01am On Nov 17, 2016
Tell him your mind or you give him a latter

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Does It Cost To Build A 5 Bed Room Flat / 4 BEDROOM DUPLEX In DIAMOND ESTATE 80M / Landlord Orders Soldiers To Beat Tenants for Telling him to Refund Their Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.