Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,215 members, 7,953,795 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:35 AM

As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? (26664 Views)

My Tenants Will Not Pay House Rent / First Time Landlord : I Shunned A Family House To Build Mine / How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 17, 2016
Where is your mum?
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by zeekleo(m): 11:45am On Nov 17, 2016
call me EMC (Estate managers & Solicitors) let them manage your property so you can have rest of mine
08125601586, 08142377911
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by amadiwati(m): 12:19pm On Nov 17, 2016
Get the service of a lawyer to serve him quit notice and copy to the police.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by tpapi: 12:43pm On Nov 17, 2016
U dont need to hand over d house to a lawyer to manage, u only need d services of a good lawyer
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by TENHEU22(m): 1:33pm On Nov 17, 2016
Get a lawyer involve. that's all
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by ladyflair: 1:36pm On Nov 17, 2016
A bedroom flat for 80k,, abeg where be that?
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by tundeoyende: 1:58pm On Nov 17, 2016
School For Sale: 21 Classes; 1 Medium Lab; 3 Offices; 1 Generator Room; 1 Well with 2 over-head water tanks; 12 Toilets. Low fence round the school perimeter. Off Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway, Ajegunle, Ifako-Ijaiye Local Govt., Lagos State. C of O available. Contact: 08033252786; 08189871078.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by our9ja: 2:06pm On Nov 17, 2016
Exactly Is because of the behavior of some tenant that makes most Landlords go gaga

EdDave:
My cousin had same problem. A young man he gave accommodation for free called the police on him saying his landlord wanted to evict him before his tenure had elapsed and had threatened to kill him.
My coz slept in the cell that night. His uncles and aunties that came to bail him were told the cell key was missing.
I advised him to make sure all his tenants signed agreements; imagine what someone you accommodated did. Tenants will do worse.
A girl entered there. She was an "aristo." Coming back late in the night and sometimes bringing men in.

A family house.

He patiently waited for her tenure to expire, giving a 3 month prior quit notice. A month b4 her expiration, she locked her door and disappeared for 2 months.
Stopped picking her calls. He sent a message threatening to throw her things out the next day.
The girl swore she wasn't leaving and arrived the house with a policeman only to meet his uncle who was a well known politician, two aunties, one in the police force, one in SSS and a friendly friend who was a judge.
grin
By the time, the policeman recognized them, he was dazed. The the guy brought out the agreement,which was signed by both parties along with witnesses, stating her rent had not only expired but was overdue.
The policeman woze the girl slap!
She had told him her landlord thrown her things out cos she refused to go out with him.
She was given two hours to leave the house with her luggage.

If you think landlords are wicked,try tenants.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by fm7070: 2:16pm On Nov 17, 2016
Hand over the house to a lawyer.
By the way, you don't need to consult the tenants for their opinion before taking such action
do you live in that same house with the tenants?
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by basadenet: 2:50pm On Nov 17, 2016
Go ahead and handover to lawyer immediately if not the man could jazz or plan bad for you.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Nov 17, 2016
Dinocarex:

Keeping a property together is not all about eviction. In fact eviction by law is the last resort. And if you really read in between the lines, you will see what I say that if we needed your services in eviction of defaulting tenants we will call you.
Meanwhile, stop being a cankerworm to this our noble profession.

Young man, you need to be more persuasive and less confontational if you intend to succeed in this property business. Illiterate Agents who litter the real estate space have better courtesy than you do.

I wouldn't sweat the legal aspect of your business with you. If you can't get afford expert legal advise, keep advising your limited clients in ignorance.

Bye.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Pylony(m): 4:06pm On Nov 17, 2016
Get legal backing and be covered with a written agreement with your tenants, signed before any Room is issued out for rent.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by DedeNkem: 4:31pm On Nov 17, 2016
deparagon:
I try as much as I can to be good and this man is trying as much as he can to take advantage of me, what do i do? Change or continue being good and get trampled upon?

I happen to be a very young landlord by circumstance ie i inherited a property from my late dad let me hold it here.
Now there is this man i rented a one bedroom apartment to, and being that i'm young maybe he thinks i don't know the value of money he chooses to pay it in instalment, imagine him paying 1yr rent of 80k in a period of 5mounts, now the problem is i was adviced to hand over the property to a lawyer, the man has been intimidating me as to why i had to do such a thing.
Pls ur candid opinion.

If you can't control your tenants, then landlord job is not for you. Go to a reputable lawyer to seek a legal advice.

As you're a novice, don't hand the property over to anyone to manage for you and don't give the documents of the property to anyone. You don't wanna lose your property.

If I were you, I would kick the tenant out.

To avoid this type situation in future, always sign a legal agreement with your tenants. The agreement should content clear rules and consequences of any broken rule. For instance, a tenant has one week to leave if they can't make a full rent payment at the appropriate time.

So that at the end of that week, you will have legal right to throw the person's belongings out of your property if he or she refuses to leave voluntarily.

Good luck Mr. Landlord!
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by DEBJOCH1(m): 6:14pm On Nov 17, 2016
Jobless lawyers, since there is no case out there for lawyers to make money, majority of Lawyers are now rushing into property issues, even when the house is a single face me I slap you house.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Dinocarex(m): 6:20pm On Nov 17, 2016
OkoYiboz:

Young man, you need to be more persuasive and less confontational if you intend to succeed in this property business. Illiterate Agents who litter the real estate space have better courtesy than you do.

I wouldn't sweat the legal aspect of your business with you. If you can't get afford expert legal advise, keep advising your limited clients in ignorance.

Bye.
You didn't make any point sir!!
Or should I say? Do u intend to make point with what you said earlier?
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by shadeyinka(m): 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2016
deparagon:
I try as much as I can to be good and this man is trying as much as he can to take advantage of me, what do i do? Change or continue being good and get trampled upon?

I happen to be a very young landlord by circumstance ie i inherited a property from my late dad let me hold it here.
Now there is this man i rented a one bedroom apartment to, and being that i'm young maybe he thinks i don't know the value of money he chooses to pay it in instalment, imagine him paying 1yr rent of 80k in a period of 5mounts, now the problem is i was adviced to hand over the property to a lawyer, the man has been intimidating me as to why i had to do such a thing.
Pls ur candid opinion.

Simple:
1. Engage the services of a lawyer
2. Never collect rent by hand, let them pay into an account number

OR

Give them all a one year Quit notice so that you can start afresh with new tenants of course with a lawyer or an estate agent as an intermediary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Does It Cost To Build A 5 Bed Room Flat / 4 BEDROOM DUPLEX In DIAMOND ESTATE 80M / Fire Outbreak At Federal Secretariat Complex, Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.