Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,227 members, 7,953,862 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:58 AM

As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? (26665 Views)

My Tenants Will Not Pay House Rent / First Time Landlord : I Shunned A Family House To Build Mine / How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Burgerlomo: 8:03am On Nov 17, 2016
Mintayo:
Hand it over to a lawyer now, or an agent.

Seconded, and stop calling yourself a teenage landlord it is your property so he has no fricking damn rights to intimidate you on it, goddamnit.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Ebymyk(m): 8:03am On Nov 17, 2016
Get a lawyer that deals with property cases to handle your business...be incharge of your property and don't. Allow anybody to intimidate you...you need a lawyer...get 1..property based lawyer..that can handle all issues concerning properties.

1 Like

Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by EdDave(m): 8:06am On Nov 17, 2016
My cousin had same problem. A young man he gave accommodation for free called the police on him saying his landlord wanted to evict him before his tenure had elapsed and had threatened to kill him.
My coz slept in the cell that night. His uncles and aunties that came to bail him were told the cell key was missing.
I advised him to make sure all his tenants signed agreements; imagine what someone you accommodated did. Tenants will do worse.
A girl entered there. She was an "aristo." Coming back late in the night and sometimes bringing men in.

A family house.

He patiently waited for her tenure to expire, giving a 3 month prior quit notice. A month b4 her expiration, she locked her door and disappeared for 2 months.
Stopped picking her calls. He sent a message threatening to throw her things out the next day.
The girl swore she wasn't leaving and arrived the house with a policeman only to meet his uncle who was a well known politician, two aunties, one in the police force, one in SSS and a friendly friend who was a judge.
grin
By the time, the policeman recognized them, he was dazed. The the guy brought out the agreement,which was signed by both parties along with witnesses, stating her rent had not only expired but was overdue.
The policeman woze the girl slap!
She had told him her landlord thrown her things out cos she refused to go out with him.
She was given two hours to leave the house with her luggage.

If you think landlords are wicked,try tenants.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by stankezzy: 8:07am On Nov 17, 2016
o boy , go and do body building and be wearing body hug steady, once he sees ur muscles , he go respect him self by force, since I started body building in my street every body now including ladys weh no de greet me de greet me by force now

1 Like

Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Nobody: 8:11am On Nov 17, 2016
Better hire a lawyer or an estate agent to manage your property, twill cost you a bit but will save you a lot of pain.

Trust me you have to create a gap between you and your tenants, if they see you everyday, they will loose respect for you.

Create a gap, try living in another location even if it means you paying rent to another person.

Scarcity creates value, employ someone to manage your property that way your tenants will respect you. grin
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Osite83(m): 8:17am On Nov 17, 2016
Take ur case to citizen mediation centre, dey will invite u nd ur tenant nd settle una case there, nd any agreement una reach there na final, bcoz dey operate under lagos state ministry of justice, if only u dey for lagos o, I don't know about other states [color=#006600][/color]
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by AdisaOwala: 8:19am On Nov 17, 2016
Idydarling:
let that man try me, young or not, im go feel am for this regime, 5 months to pay a rent of just 80k? he's paying in installments you say?? some people need hot coal on their anus, make im try am with correct nigur, im for feel am

But you told us that you are soft - hearted
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by HomeOfMe(f): 8:30am On Nov 17, 2016
deparagon:
I try as much as I can to be good and this man is trying as much as he can to take advantage of me, what do i do? Change or continue being good and get trampled upon?

I happen to be a very young landlord by circumstance ie i inherited a property from my late dad let me hold it here.
Now there is this man i rented a one bedroom apartment to, and being that i'm young maybe he thinks i don't know the value of money he chooses to pay it in instalment, imagine him paying 1yr rent of 80k in a period of 5mounts, now the problem is i was adviced to hand over the property to a lawyer, the man has been intimidating me as to why i had to do such a thing.
Pls ur candid opinion.
Let them deal with the lawyer and I advice you ask him to vacate your property once his rent expires.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by oseiwe(m): 8:36am On Nov 17, 2016
deparagon:
I try as much as I can to be good and this man is trying as much as he can to take advantage of me, what do i do? Change or continue being good and get trampled upon?

I happen to be a very young landlord by circumstance ie i inherited a property from my late dad let me hold it here.
Now there is this man i rented a one bedroom apartment to, and being that i'm young maybe he thinks i don't know the value of money he chooses to pay it in instalment, imagine him paying 1yr rent of 80k in a period of 5mounts, now the problem is i was adviced to hand over the property to a lawyer, the man has been intimidating me as to why i had to do such a thing.
Pls ur candid opinion.
If na akwa ibom man, fear am. my advice is to strike him hard and throw him away, use the lawyer for that.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by deparagon(m): 8:42am On Nov 17, 2016
emperorAY:
I think u need a verry good lawyer, bt ar u sure d house is in good shape?

well tiled rooms, water, electricity.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Nobody: 8:44am On Nov 17, 2016
deparagon:

Pls ur candid opinion.

Hand over the property to a lawyer and kick out his sorry *ass. Why would you allow anybody to treat you with disrespect just because of your age ?

You are the owner of the building oga. In as much as he remains under its roof, you are still the landlord and his 'boss'. If that sounds
a bit too difficult for him to get a grip of, then he should fly out as quick as possible.

Stand up on your feet and let people respect you for your principles. Can you hear me ?
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by deparagon(m): 8:45am On Nov 17, 2016
oseiwe:

If na akwa ibom man, fear am. my advice is to strike him hard and throw him away, use the lawyer for that.

How you tek kw?
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by frank202012: 8:47am On Nov 17, 2016
Guy,re you living in that house?
If yes be careful maka ppls di BAD
Or
You get another place to live.

Stop collecting the rent{money} in cash.
Open an account for that.
Call them on a meeting nd give them the acc number. I repeat the payment must strictly done through the bank.
Tell them your does nd don'ts
That anybody that deos not comply will face the consequences.

get a lawyer bec some will like to taste how serious you are..

And again
Watch ur back maka ppls di BAD.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by deparagon(m): 8:48am On Nov 17, 2016
Noel1:

Hand over the property to a lawyer and kick out his sorry *ass. Why would you allow anybody to treat you with disrespect just because of your age ?

You are the owner of the building oga. In as much as he remains under its roof, you are still the landlord and his 'boss'. If that sounds
a bit too difficult for him to get a grip of, then he should fly out as quick as possible.

Stand up on your feet and let people respect you for your principles. Can you hear me ?

yes boss
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by willibounce1(m): 8:58am On Nov 17, 2016
Don't get any nonsense lawyer. Naija lawyer go open office for your head. If you were getting up to 500k and above as rent, then you can talking about a lawyer. Ordinary 80k. No try am o. If your tenant is misbehaving, just go straight to office of the public defender. They'll invite the guy and warn him sternly, if he doesn't change, they'll help you kick him out with police help. And you will only pay 300 or 500 for sending a letter to the tenant

You need to have your tenants pay directly into your account as someone said.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by mapet: 8:59am On Nov 17, 2016
deparagon:

Pls ur candid opinion.

Hand it over to the lawyer, stay your ground.......you have no business dealing with the tenant directly at this age. Most especially, your safety is also in consideration
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Nobody: 9:02am On Nov 17, 2016
Dinocarex:

Oga Lawyer, you are part of those quacks we are fighting against daily. Are you a certified Estate Manager?
Can any other professional represent a plaintiff or defendant in court apart from a Lawyer? Why are you diving into a profession that's not yours.
When we have defaulting tenants, we will call you to represent us in court not entirely take what we ought to do from US.

Evidences have shown that Lawyers doesn't know know the nitty-gritty of Estate Management. No wonder 99.9% of problems faced by Nairalnders on issue relating to Property are caused by the 'Quacks - Lawyers'

Can an Estate Manager validly evict a tenant from a real property without recourse to lawyers?

1 Like

Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by deparagon(m): 9:03am On Nov 17, 2016
EdDave:
My cousin had same problem. A young man he gave accommodation for free called the police on him saying his landlord wanted to evict him before his tenure had elapsed and had threatened to kill him.
My coz slept in the cell that night. His uncles and aunties that came to bail him were told the cell key was missing.
I advised him to make sure all his tenants signed agreements; imagine what someone you accommodated did. Tenants will do worse.
A girl entered there. She was an "aristo." Coming back late in the night and sometimes bringing men in.

A family house.

He patiently waited for her tenure to expire, giving a 3 month prior quit notice. A month b4 her expiration, she locked her door and disappeared for 2 months.
Stopped picking her calls. He sent a message threatening to throw her things out the next day.
The girl swore she wasn't leaving and arrived the house with a policeman only to meet his uncle who was a well known politician, two aunties, one in the police force, one in SSS and a friendly friend who was a judge.
grin
By the time, the policeman recognized them, he was dazed. The the guy brought out the agreement,which was signed by both parties along with witnesses, stating her rent had not only expired but was overdue.
The policeman woze the girl slap!
She had told him her landlord thrown her things out cos she refused to go out with him.
She was given two hours to leave the house with her luggage.

If you think landlords are wicked,try tenants.
hmmmm smh!
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by BecomeALandLord(m): 9:04am On Nov 17, 2016
Op I suggest u hand over the property to us at become a landlord consultancy.
We are property managers and consultants! We sell, lease, rent an manage anything property! Be it lans, houses, warehouses, office space etc!

Read my signature
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by BecomeALandLord(m): 9:05am On Nov 17, 2016
Op I suggest u hand over the property to us at become a landlord consultancy.
We are property managers and consultants! We sell, lease, rent an manage anything property! Be it lands, houses, warehouses, office space etc!

Read my signature
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 17, 2016
willibounce1:
Don't get any nonsense lawyer. Naija lawyer go open office for your head. If you were getting up to 500k and above as rent, then you can talking about a lawyer. Ordinary 80k. No try am o. If your tenant is misbehaving, just go straight to office of the public defender. They'll invite the guy and warn him sternly, if he doesn't change, they'll help you kick him out with police help. And you will only pay 300 or 500 for sending a letter to the tenant

You need to have your tenants pay directly into your account as someone said.

OP, this is the easiest way to deal wt the troublesome tenant.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Idydarling(f): 9:06am On Nov 17, 2016
AdisaOwala:

But you told us that you are soft - hearted
my dear Adisa, even the most soft hearted person has been turned a lion in this recession, do you know that red oil which was sold for #70 just last April is now #300? this regime has made us strong emotionally and physically

2 Likes

Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by lordyugo: 9:06am On Nov 17, 2016
deparagon:

Pls ur candid opinion.

hand it over to a lawyer simple nd ul see hes a scary kitten or u can fake handing it over to a lawyer
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by BarrElChapo(m): 9:19am On Nov 17, 2016
If this property is in Abuja. . Pls let me handle to the man.. grin but if its outside jus get a good lawyer cheesy
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by ayox1(m): 9:20am On Nov 17, 2016
first don't hand ur property to any lawyer for whatever reasons. ur tenant I want u to observe him properly and get a competent lawyer who will give u notice to quit so as to give ur tenant.
Nb; wen u want to let ur house out, u will collect house rent and agent fee then the subsequent ones( rent fee)shld be either in 3month or 2 month. Y am saying this is because wen one issues notice to quite to a tenant, for a 3 month rent- it will be 3 month notice, 1year would be 6 month notice. if u give him notice to quit of 6 months and it elapse without him leaving ur house then go back to ur lawyer he will tell u what to do. Don't allow any tenant to intimidate u and show them respect.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Goodeeman: 9:27am On Nov 17, 2016
Hand over the management of the premises to a lawyer. You can whatsapp me through this number (07039222210) for proper guidance on he to go about it.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Nobody: 9:35am On Nov 17, 2016
Bossontop:
Jus share quit notice to all of them and watch them worship u like a god!!

No need to thank me later wink

cheesy. Did he tell you he does not need rent money again? As much as tenants need a house, landlords equally need tenants. I have seen a house where the landlord and landlady take a bit of nonsense from one woman cos her husband does not owe rent. If they give her trouble, na to pack go other empty houses in the area. Empty houses are many there.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Dinocarex(m): 9:53am On Nov 17, 2016
OkoYiboz:

Can an Estate Manager validly evict a tenant from a real property without recourse to lawyers?

Keeping a property together is not all about eviction. In fact eviction by law is the last resort. And if you really read in between the lines, you will see what I say that if we needed your services in eviction of defaulting tenants we will call you.
Meanwhile, stop being a cankerworm to this our noble profession.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by Nobody: 9:56am On Nov 17, 2016
With the current economy part payment is acceptable as long as he pays.

Bring in lawyer they begin to get a part of that paltry sum.

Advice: I don't see you as been calm or naive you just have a high expectation from the tenants just be calm talk it over with him and make sure you in touch with your family lawyer. No new lawyer they will legally fine you.

I became a Landlord at 16 just as you did through inheritance.

I am now a tenant in a different city and a Landlord in another.

deparagon:

Pls ur candid opinion.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by kokumo1949: 10:16am On Nov 17, 2016
Please do a search of a lagos mediation centre that cover your area . Consult a mediation officer at the center . The centre do not charge for service but your time.
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by kengodson: 10:26am On Nov 17, 2016
deparagon:

Pls ur candid opinion.
First mistake was that u allowed him to pay installment, instead of full payment, i also run an apartment, also at a very young age, such things like this happen, what i do in this case is that i raid the place with police and evict the person if he does not want to leave, (ie if u can sponsor the police wink), have done it and it works, its your property, not anyone else, the difficulty i face in this scenario is when it comes to married couples, cos when i vex with the husband, it's the wife that will come to beg on his behalf undecided...............and you know that feeling you get when a woman starts begging embarassed cry grin
Re: As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? by greggng: 10:27am On Nov 17, 2016
deparagon:

Pls ur candid opinion.

You be indeed taata aka baby. Go ahead and get urself a decent lawyer. Otherwise that man might end up killing u and taking over.to him u don't ve responsibility.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Does It Cost To Build A 5 Bed Room Flat / 4 BEDROOM DUPLEX In DIAMOND ESTATE 80M / Fire Outbreak At Federal Secretariat Complex, Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.