Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Dodge Caravan Pulley Issues - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dodge Caravan Pulley Issues (9410 Views)

Please Recommend A Dodge Caravan Technician / Mechanic / Pls Chevrolet Venture Power Steering pump Or Fibre Pulley Needed / How Good Is A Dodge Caravan 2004 Model. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dodge Caravan Pulley Issues by azubike1: 4:30pm On Nov 04, 2009
Hi All,

I have a Dodge Caravan I am thinking of buying. It has a problem with the pulley that holds the fan belt and I need to confirm if it is reasonably easy to do that kind of repair.

Most importantly if any of you guys have a Dodge and knows a good mechanic in Lagos I can talk to that would be great.

Thanks you all.
Re: Dodge Caravan Pulley Issues by Obeledu: 12:48pm On Nov 05, 2009
I advice you to stay away from that caravan, it is no use buying a car that the parts are not readly avaliable not to talk of specailist.

Continue to save money till you buy the popular brands.
Re: Dodge Caravan Pulley Issues by sultaan(m): 5:15pm On Nov 05, 2009
I had on once, and it was easy to fix, parts are cheap.

Its a very cheap and simple issue expected from wear and tear.

Now you have to let me know which part of the serpentine system is worn out.

The pulleys have metal ball bearings i them, overtime they wore out just like your wheel bearing start making noise then seize.
When that happens it stops turning the your belt will burn off / be shredded.

Here are 2 common problem with system
1, the one described above, you'll know by burning rubber smell and the fix is to change a $10-15 pulley and $30 belt.
You'll know hen you take belt off and try o turn pulley by hand, or spry some water on each pulley while engine is running and see which on stops squealing.

2, the second happens when your belt keeps getting out of its groove , shredding the sides off, or totally fall out of the car.
Fix is to get a new tensioner, because the spring that keeps the belt tight is weak(happens over time). Anytime you lose a belt change tensioner too, cost $55 lastime I bought one( the Dodge Caravan is a reliable Van when serviced per schedule and one of that is to inspect/change those parts every 60k miles.

You will know you lost your belt when its difficult to steer, and temperature goes up(check gages light comes on)
On the 3.3l engine youll get to tensioner from under the van with a 15mm wrench.

Re: Dodge Caravan Pulley Issues by azubike1: 1:38pm On Nov 06, 2009
Very useful information Sultan. Thanks! It's a 3.8 litre engine. I will confirm which is bad. It seems as if you are not located in Nigeria. I still need to confirm if the parts a readily available in Lagos and get a good mechanic.

Thanks again.
Re: Dodge Caravan Pulley Issues by sultaan(m): 8:00pm On Nov 06, 2009
You've still not said what the problem is.
I am just guessing based on experience.
Re: Dodge Caravan Pulley Issues by azubike1: 4:48am On Nov 07, 2009
I do not really know what the problem is. All I know is that it has to do with the pulley but I do not know which one. I will be seeing the car today with a mechanic. I hope to be more specific after that.

Thanks bro.

One more thing please, I'm trying to gauge the impact of the 3.0 litre engine on my personal expenses especially as fuel prices will be going up in Nigeria soon. How can I calculate the fuel consumption of, say, a 1 litre engine (litres per KM) so that I can gauge the difference in consumption between a 2.0 and 3.8 litre engine?
Re: Dodge Caravan Pulley Issues by azubike1: 4:52am On Nov 07, 2009
Sorry it's a 3.8 litre engine
Re: Dodge Caravan Pulley Issues by sultaan(m): 6:12pm On Nov 07, 2009
3.8l engine is top of line trim of Grand Caravan(ES) or in the TownandCountry, rated 17/24mpg.
If you are thinking of the cost of fuel, you should be looking at a 4cyl car.A 7-passenger van withspace for cargo will not sip gas like a 2.0l.
If you will be taveling long distance with your family this van is for you; if in Lagos traffic tongue

Going by that diagram, tensioner is the one you have to turn to remove belt and idler pulley is the small one on the right, those are the usual culprits(very common).It could also be the one on the water pump.Its a cheap and easy fix if that is the problem, Take pics and post when you inspect.
Re: Dodge Caravan Pulley Issues by Nobody: 10:50pm On Mar 12, 2011
m

(1) (Reply)

My Camry Consumes Fuel / Dear Men, Do Share Your Experiences Of Good Female Drivers You Have Ever Seen / Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.