Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,498 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen (54421 Views)

Little Girl Lives With Stomach, Liver & Bowel Outside Her Body In UK (Graphic) / Young Flexible Nigerian Girl Stretches Her Body Anyhow (Photos) / Lady Diagnosed With Cancer At 23 And Had Her Eggs Frozen, Shares Her Story. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:48am On Nov 23, 2016
Well, thanks OP... smiley All the best to you too...

Remember, never limit yourself to just knowledge within the "four walls" of institutions. wink Spread your thirst for knowledge of all kinds and just "fly" and "soar" smiley

See you at the top.....

gabonsky:

Thanks for answering my question, i wish you all the best in your studies

1 Like

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by gabonsky: 7:08am On Nov 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

Remember, never limit yourself to just knowledge within the "four walls" of institutions. wink Spread your thirst for knowledge of all kinds and just "fly" and "soar" smiley

See you at the top.....

thanks and i wish after your studies, you can set up a clone center in Nigeria and i think its going to be the first of its kind in the country and i know its will be expensive to established
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by romeoetin(m): 9:55am On Nov 23, 2016
Reminds me of telemundo's Aurora wink
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by loomer: 2:27pm On Nov 23, 2016
Too much vampires diaries
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by yeyeboi(m): 2:28pm On Nov 23, 2016
Muafrika2:

The idea of creating a clone and transferring the brain to it sounds like an idea I would try.

1 Like

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by bigtt76(f): 2:31pm On Nov 23, 2016
it’s just the warming him back up again that needs to be figured out.

Make den light hin blokos naaa grin

gabonsky:
A 14-year-old girl has just been granted the right to have her body cryonically frozen in the hope that she will be brought back to life one day.
The teen, from London, was dying from cancer when she took her case to the high court.
"I don’t want to be buried underground. I want to live and live longer and I think that in the future they might find a cure for my cancer and wake me up," she said.

"I want to have this chance. This is my wish."
Cryonics is the practise of preserving a human body in extremely cold temperatures after they die, with the hope of being able to revive them sometime in the future when science has advanced enough.

People who undergo the procedure must be declared legally dead, as it’s illegal to cryonically preserve someone who’s still alive.

However, legally dead is not the same as completely dead. Legal death occurs when the heart has stopped beating, but you’re technically still alive until all brain function ceases.
Cryonics works in this narrow but crucial window, to preserve that tiny amount of cell function that’s still happening.

If you sign up at one facility, the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Arizona, the protocol consists of four elements: deployment and standby, stabilisation, cryoprotectant perfusion, and cryogenic cool-down.

1. Deployment and standby
You have to be signed up with a cryonics facility before your death, so that the team can be prepared. Decomposition starts happening pretty much immediately, so the window of time for the team to start the preservation process is narrow.

They will still try though. On the Alcor website it states: "it is a general principle of cryonics that cryopreservation should proceed after legal death even under poor biological conditions when standard protocol procedures cannot be performed."

A team is notified of your death and rushes to your side once you’ve passed, and they stabilise your body by supplying your brain with oxygen and blood to preserve minimal function.

2. Stabilisation
After this, you are injected with heparis — an anticoagulant that prevents blood clots — and packed in ice. Your lungs might be ventilated too.

If it will take a long time to be transported to the operating room, your blood may be replaced with an organ preservation solution.

3. Cryoprotectant perfusion
The freezing begins when you reach the cryonics facility. Your body cannot simply be frozen in liquid nitrogen because it would damage your cells. You are around 70 percent water, so if it all froze, your cells would shatter.

Instead, the cryonics team starts a process called vitrification. They remove all the water from your cells and replace it with a chemical mixture of organ preservation and antifreeze chemicals called a cryoprotectant.

In theory, this protects organs and tissues from forming ice crystals and instead are put into a state of suspended animation. It’s the same technique that has dramatically improved the way eggs and embryos are frozen and thawed in fertility treatments.

Vitrification has successfully been used to freeze small pieces of tissue, and scientists even managed to preserve and recover the brain of a rabbit.

However, we’re probably still a long way off from being able to freeze and thaw larger structures, as vitrifying organs such as human kidneys for transplantation has not been done successfully.

4. Cryogenic cooldown
Once vitrified, your body is cooled on a bed of dry ice until it reaches -130 degrees Celsius. Then you’re placed head down in a large metal tank filled with liquid nitrogen at around -196 degrees Celsius.

It costs over £100,000 (US$125,000) to get your whole body cryonically preserved, but for a smaller fee, you can choose just to freeze your brain. This relies on the idea that one day in the future, scientists will be able to grow a clone of your body and you will somehow be revived.

That's still not the end of it though
Nobody has ever been revived from being frozen, because this technology doesn’t exist. It also hasn’t been around enough for everyone who has been preserved to be cured from whatever illness was killing them in the first place.

That being said, medicine has come a long way in that people are often, technically, brought back from the dead. Defibrillators can shock your heart into a regular rhythm again, and in some surgeries, people are cooled down to very low temperatures so doctors can operate on aneurysms.

There’s also the ethical issues to consider about whether a clone grown from your cells would really be 'you' or not. With the brain being such a complex organ, it’s also impossible to know how much damage has been done by the process until you wake them up again.

The biggest problem with revival would be thawing a person the right way at the right speed. If it isn’t done exactly right, your cells could turn to ice and be destroyed.

The first person to be cryonically preserved was 73-year-old James Bedford, who was frozen in 1967. He died of kidney cancer and was frozen a few hours after his death. In the cryonics community, January 12th is celebrated as 'Bedford Day'.

According to Alcor, Bedford’s body is still in a good condition. It’s quite possible that his metastasised cancer would be treatable now if he were revived, it’s just the warming him back up again that needs to be figured out.

Source: http://gabrielatanbiyi..com.ng/2016/11/a-14-year-old-with-cancer-just-won_19.html
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Nobody: 2:34pm On Nov 23, 2016
stiles009:
this company sound more like a sham. how can u purport to preserve a dying body without first perfecting the act of unfreezing the said body.
learn to be reading and understanding.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Mikylopez(f): 2:35pm On Nov 23, 2016
Muafrika2:

The idea of creating a clone and transferring the brain to it sounds like an idea I would try.
u really. Didn't. Have to quote. Thw whole article
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Lilimax(f): 2:35pm On Nov 23, 2016
I read this article in Dailymail.co.uk three days ago.
All I know is that there is a limit to what science can do.

God is the owner of life and once you're certified dead, you'll be alienated from this world waiting for the
judgement day embarassed There is nothing like being frozen waiting for the day you'll be restored back to life.

2 Likes

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by IRobot7(m): 2:39pm On Nov 23, 2016
Everything na experiment to oyinbo man, kwantinue.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by advocatebaba(m): 2:41pm On Nov 23, 2016
Muafrika2:

U R A CONFUSED BASTARD, MUST U QUOTE EVERYTIN.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 23, 2016
....they will call her an incorruptible saint, forget to mention that there's "frozen and chemicals" used to keep the body fresh.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by advocatebaba(m): 2:44pm On Nov 23, 2016
Mikylopez:
u really. Didn't. Have to quote. Thw whole article
DNT MIND HER JARE, I JST HAMMERED HEAVILY ON HER NW
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by LorDBolton(m): 2:44pm On Nov 23, 2016
Some people stil dey naija dey worship orithesjafor
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by LorDBolton(m): 2:47pm On Nov 23, 2016
Lilimax:
I read this article in Dailymail.co.uk three days ago.
All I know is that there is a limit to what science can do .

God is the owner of life and once you're certified dead, you'll be alienated from this world waiting for the
judgement day embarassed There is nothing like being frozen waiting for the day you'll be restored back to life.

There is NO limit... as far as time exists.

Your forefathers never dreamt one day they'd pick up the phone to call someone in Australia, haven't u wondered how come with increased communication church 'miracles' have reduced?

Now it has been replaced by 'prosperity preaching'

2 Likes

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Lilimax(f): 2:50pm On Nov 23, 2016
LorDBolton:

There is NO limit... as far as time exists.

Your forefathers never dreamt one day they'd pick up the phone to call someone in Australia, haven't u wondered how come with increased communication church 'miracles' have reduced?

Now it has been replaced by 'prosperity preaching'
There is bro. else they'll equal themselves with God embarassed
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by donbuchi1(m): 2:54pm On Nov 23, 2016
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by NoToPile: 2:56pm On Nov 23, 2016
Op the anticoagulant is Heparin not Heparis
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by otemanuduno: 2:59pm On Nov 23, 2016
masonkz:
Science will take us further than religion ever would

cool
Religion has taken us far into ignorance while science has taken US far into enlightenment.

:
KARMISH 11:6-18

6. And the Niklatans(thinkers) said, what are the signs of the return of your Lord? And Petra said, did you not hear of earthquake which occurred in Mezan and in Macedon?
7. For our Lord has said to us that before his coming shall earthquake occur in many places.
8. Now Galio who was the head of the Niklatans said, I have gathered much evidence from record books about earthquakes. And I have read that earthquakes happen in different places before the coming of Yeshua.
9. And the things which happen before his coming must continue to happen. How then did your lord give such thing as the sign of his coming? For it is like saying, Niklas shall return to destroy the world. And the sign of his coming would be that the earth shall become dark and there shall be heavy rain in different places.
10. Does the earth not become dark occasionally before? And does heavy rain not fall in different places before? How then is this a prophecy?
11. Now hear this: for this is a true prophecy: the homos of the world shall go from one nation to another through the air. And they shall ride in metals made with engines. And the use of horses and camels shall be made uncommon.
12. And I say that the use of fire for seeing shall become uncommon, for lights shall be made by a thinker to replace the use of fire in seeing.
13. And the homos of the future shall see afar off with great devices which they shall make.
14. Now O Petra, did your lord see any of these things? Did he prophesy any of these future occurrences? For these are real prophecies which shall happen. But the prophecy of diseases and earthquakes happening in different places are not prophecies because all these have happened before your lord came to the earth, and they shall continue to happen.
15. Now Petra said, all these things you mention are the things to laugh about, because even none of the gods could do them, how much then shall the homos do them?
16. And Galio said, the organs of the heads of the future homos shall be made bigger and they shall be able to think deep with their heads and not with their hearts.
17. And the knowledge which the gods of findings have gathered shall those homos tap into unaware. And they shall by their findings make all these things which I have mentioned.
18. Now Petra and his followers made a laughingstock of the Niklatans...

1 Like

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 23, 2016
masonkz:
Science will take us further than religion ever would

cool
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Rubyventures: 3:07pm On Nov 23, 2016
This story was all over the news last week.

These are a few queries that I have regarding this issue:

-There is no guarantee that she can be brought back to life.
- If ever this happens, most of her family members would be dead so she will be alone
- If this company happens to go burst (bankrupt), what will happen to all the bodies that they have been keeping?

2 Likes

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by LorDBolton(m): 3:08pm On Nov 23, 2016
Lilimax:
There is bro. else they'll equal themselves with God embarassed
Lady there'll always be God as far as man exist...
Why? Cos politics will always exists

Yes God, Allah, budha etc are all used for politics.

Science has started giving people new legs, liver, hearts, lungs, eyes further demystifying the idea that there's a God somewhere watching over u.

Shit happens cos shit happens cos that's life.

The question I ask u is where is africa in all this scientific revolution? Religion and barbarism tied our ancestors down.

And funny enough today new religions from the whites & Arabs + our barbarism is tying us down

Our forefathers sacrificed lives to religion & on this NL I read jigawa govt plans to build new mosque? Mosque o
When BH insurgency proves they need more schools not mosque?

The Europeans only came to africa for raw materials n till today they come here to take our raw materials while we still remain backward.

We called our forefathers illiterates and savages.
We that are now educated n exposed but still kneel to call unto 'a god' 5 times a day or congregate at the shrines on sundays to accept 'prophecies' from the priests.

What are we?
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by seunlly(m): 3:09pm On Nov 23, 2016
End time is nigh. cry
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Nobody: 3:19pm On Nov 23, 2016
advocatebaba:
U R A CONFUSED BASTARD, MUST U QUOTE EVERYTIN.
Off my mention Devil undecided
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Nobody: 3:22pm On Nov 23, 2016
All this and yet no cure for aids?
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by onwards: 3:25pm On Nov 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

See you at the top.....

First off, I'm not scared of death but then again I'm really very curious about our species advancement in the fields of science and technology in the next couple of centuries. Suffice to say I would want to live beyond the regular human lifetime if that were possible. I am greedy like that

Reading this article triggered certain questions in me.

I know about cryonics and cryogenics and I understand biology enough to know that the word death is very ambiguous.

A clone of me would not necessarily be me right? Doesn't matter if the genetic material from me is 100% pure, the clone would still be a different human being with different experiences and memories, right?

If that is the case, how else then can biological immortality be achieved?

Let's assume that the preservation techniques employed in cryonics are able to keep my brain in its 'before death' state. As we age, our cell divisions are accompanied with losses of information. The brain cells are no exception. Muscle memory and other information I have been able to store before being frozen are intricately wrapped around this neuro-cellular genetic information losses according to theory.

The question is: What benefit therefore is there to me; frozen at 60 years, knowing fully well that my brain is no longer at its peak performance and implying that I can only get a limited operational time from it I.e. another 100 years tops (after quality nutrition) with each passing day meaning a loss in brain power as I think and live?

Can my memories be intact if they can reverse the aging process of the brain?
Because honestly there is no use if I can't have my memories after the aging process is reversed/I have my memories and the aging process is irreversible.

Also, I believe our memories form our core identity. We are what we have experienced. If science eventually finds a way to transfer our memories to another healthier brain, should that not imply that we are biologically immortal?

Also, our memories are usually juggled in layers and layers making it such that we never truly forget but simply can't recreate the neural pathways of older memories. Transferring our memories to healthier and newer brains may mean easier access to these older forgotten memories which may also imply that our thought pattern will remarkably change - as certain incidences which we could not access or make meaning of due to limited experience at the moment they were formed - may be re-accessed and reassessed to form newer conclusions which may alter our original psychology and personality.

Can I still comfortably call this new memory - me? as I may be very different from the person I was- before and after each iteration of memory transfer.

Again there is a risk in birthing never seen before psychological disorders. Is this procedure worth this potential risk?

some of these questions require technical answers others require your opinion.

Thanks. smiley
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by ThinkWISELY(m): 3:26pm On Nov 23, 2016
Muafrika2:

Must you quote the thread

1 Like

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 23, 2016
ThinkWISELY:

Most you quote the thread

I'll go back and quote it all over again angry angry

1 Like

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by 989900D: 3:31pm On Nov 23, 2016
Bringing them back is the problem . . . science has no clue to that yet.

Godspeed girl.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Entire Family Members Dead After Having Their Dinner In Anambra (Photo) / Before And After Look Of A Lady That Survived Gas Explosion 3 Years Ago (Pix) / Growing Trend Of Young Men With White Beard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.