Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,073 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen (54408 Views)

Little Girl Lives With Stomach, Liver & Bowel Outside Her Body In UK (Graphic) / Young Flexible Nigerian Girl Stretches Her Body Anyhow (Photos) / Lady Diagnosed With Cancer At 23 And Had Her Eggs Frozen, Shares Her Story. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:03pm On Nov 23, 2016
I believe the limits of Science end in GOD Himself. God is real.. So real in fact that he reveals himself even in science but a lot dont see that. smiley So have no bother about Scientists' attempt to be kinda equal with/To GOD. God himself is a scientist.... Only thing is, He's the most divine and master of all.... And HE'S GOD ALMIGHTY smiley

Boyyy! A lotta questions from a few monikers here... Hmm... I gotta get home first. wink But I just had to respond to your post, Madam Lilimax. smiley

Lilimax:
There is bro. else they'll equal themselves with God embarassed

2 Likes

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:06pm On Nov 23, 2016
Yes Sir... It is. smiley
blingxx:

so it possible shocked? ...
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by jeff1993: 7:08pm On Nov 23, 2016
dingbang:
undecided

Please someone should tell that girl Dat spirits don't live in d body after death! It's either heaven or hell!
...... OGA SHIFT!!!!!!
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Nobody: 7:08pm On Nov 23, 2016
If its your time to go it's your time....
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by notoriousbabe: 7:11pm On Nov 23, 2016
Craze full oyinbo land,no wonder Donald trump warn the election
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by umbo: 7:40pm On Nov 23, 2016
jtja t
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Caseless: 7:41pm On Nov 23, 2016
Muafrika2:

The idea of creating a clone and transferring the brain to it sounds like an idea I would try.
did you have to quote everything? angry

What nonsense!
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Sunglow: 7:44pm On Nov 23, 2016
How will they call back her spirit from the realm of the spirit?

Man is a spirit being, he lives in "a body" and has a soul.
You are not a body, you are a spirit being.
When you die, your spirit departs, either to heaven or hell.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by ifeomaekol(f): 8:01pm On Nov 23, 2016
This reminds me of Aurora(telemundo).
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by gabrielniy(m): 8:46pm On Nov 23, 2016
The concept of the movie "wayward pines" just became clearer. Tech is the real deal
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Oe12(m): 8:46pm On Nov 23, 2016
wow!
Amazing!!!
Naija!!! where were we? when all these was going on?😖
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by gabrielniy(m): 8:50pm On Nov 23, 2016
Sunglow:
How will they call back her spirit from the realm of the spirit?

Man is a spirit being, he lives in "a body" and has a soul.
You are not a body, you are a spirit being.
When you die, your spirit departs, either to heaven or hell.
Legally dead, not completely dead. I guess the spirit will still linger in her body if by chance, some cells are active.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by gabonsky: 8:56pm On Nov 23, 2016
Oe12:
wow!
Amazing!!!
Naija!!! where were we? when all these was going on?😖

a millions questions is what you are asking?
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Egemeole: 9:33pm On Nov 23, 2016
this waste of time, the bible said " As it is appointed unto man once after death cometh judgment" repent hell and heaven re real
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Egemeole: 9:33pm On Nov 23, 2016
this iz waste of time, the bible said " As it is appointed unto man once after death cometh judgment" repent hell and heaven re real
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by stiles009(m): 10:54pm On Nov 23, 2016
Teempakguy:
learn to be reading and understanding.

Olodo. Read again! The last 2 paragraphs to be exact.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by stiles009(m): 11:05pm On Nov 23, 2016
AlanSugar:

No issues there, first things first. If they could think of the science of freezing, they could also bring up the science of de freezing, just a matter of time.

Maybe, but research like this shouldn't be opened to the public, neither should it be monetized business wise. Now, it clearly stated that the services provided cost 100000k a yr. That amount for services that has zero assurance of success is absurd.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Horlahmah(m): 12:49am On Nov 24, 2016
Picture of Bedford under freezing ?

Has anybody been revived back by this company?
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:53am On Nov 24, 2016
@first bolded... A Clone is actually you just genetically-wise but definitely not personality-wise. In cloning, a lot of genes can be added during the reproductive cloning process to give the clone what you want it to have as suited for your purpose. So it's just a "genetic you" but not a "YOU" in the sense of your personality, psychology and experiences.

@second bolded.... Hmmm... Biological immortality huh? That will see you maintaining ALL that makes you "You" in terms of your memories, personality and more without the need for making new memories afresh or worrying that your new body will also age and you'll need another "clone transfer" to start the process yet again all over.... smiley

Well, James Cameron's 2009 Avatar movie comes to mind in a way. That's fiction but it tallies with some information I did come across over a year ago.... "INITIATIVE 2045" smiley

This is the brainchild of a Russian billionaire named Istkov who craves "immortality". He's so far put together some of the finest minds in science to make it happen. **Kindly check it out... INITIATIVE 2045**

So to answer your question on how biological immortality can be achieved from science's point of view, I will say it is by science coming up with a way to have our memories and personality uploaded/transferred into a NON-BIOLOGICAL CARRIER/BODY... More like an "AVATAR" either via Brain Transplant or by brain-computer autonomous interface transfer.

Uploading or transplanting your brain to another brand new "biological carrier" will only delay the inevitable because we'll still have to reach that point again where aging sets in.

BUT AGAIN, ON AGING, IF AGING CAN BE REVERSED THEN TRANSFER TO A BIOLOGICAL CARRIER MIGHT JUST WORK "PERMANENTLY". Research on telomeres/Telomerase and its connection to the anti-aging process as seen in the works of Elizabeth Blackburn and Carol Greider (Nobel laureates in 2009) holds some fine promise but it's still a long way to unravelling all the mystery thus the way for now will be to focus on a non-biological carrier that will hold our memories and personality just the way we do so in our biological forms. Yep... I'm talking super advanced hi-tech android life forms... Loolll

@third bolded..... lolll... You've already outlined the answer here yourself. You're simply saying, "Heck! There's no need man... This is just delaying the inevitability of aging and decline." smiley

I trust my reply in no.2 have also addressed to a certain extent why this "cryonics way" or even cloning wont be the best for you.... wink

@Fourth bolded.... aging process of the brain... smiley I already talked about Telomeres and Telomerase just briefly and their connection to aging/anti-aging in humans.

You age because the telomeres of your chromosomes shorten with age and thus affect all cell activities in your bodies with time including that of your brain.

The enzyme telomerase is what acts to keep the telomeres from shortening rapidly (and even increasing its length) but again telomerase naturally reduces with age. This discovery is so remarkable and it means all we gotta do is to find a way to keep our telomeres from shortening in our chromosomal make-up. And that also means sustaining the secretion of telomerase because the more telomerase, the longer our telomeres get and that will reflect in our gene expression phenotypically as our cells (including that of the brain) will begin acting as if they were many years younger...... Thus killing the aging process for good. smiley

So without further ado... "Can my memories be intact if they can reverse the aging process of the brain?"---»» I boldly say yes Sir... smiley Not only will your memories be intact but your memory power will likely be boosted to function at levels youngsters at their "brain-power peak" also function.

It's all about Telomeres and Telomerase. smiley

@Fifth bolded..... You're so right. Our memories form a major part of our core identity. We are indeed what we have experienced. smiley

The implication of science one day finding a way to have our memories and personality transferred to a more advanced and far healthier "permanently efficient" brain either in a biological or non-biological (advanced) android carrier is not necessarily the "possible fact" that man has the ability (only if found) to be JUST "biologically" immortal BUT RATHER the "possible fact" that man has the ability to be either biologically or non-biologically immortal. smiley

**You never know which one mankind will achieve first. The Biological or non-biological forms of immortality...... AND WHEN WE SPEAK OF IMMORTALITY, we do so in the absence of certain extreme external factors/forces like a nuclear blast for instance. Our forms will most likely not survive that... Looolll**

Why do I keep mentioning non-biological? Because, that looks like the most "concrete" way for man to achieve immortality.

Telomeres research and anti-aging discoveries still on today do have super prospects for man some day living without ever getting old.

BUT I must say the likelihood of this immortality is most likely to be seen in non-biological life forms.... SUPER ADVANCED ANDROID LIFE FORMS... AVATARS-KINDA smiley

Lemme digress to religion a little, In Christianity, we understand that Man will live forever with Jesus Christ in paradise right? And will do so in a "new body". Hmmm.... Now this body will be "perfect" and not "fleshly" (not of human flesh). It speaks of a "higher" kind of life form..... smiley

Now for mankind, that "higher" from a non-religious perspective will most likely be super advanced android/non-biological life forms. wink

@Sixth bolded...... Brilliant question! smiley Truth is this is quite tricky but one thing is certain, IT'S STILL "YOU" smiley Yes, it is still "you". There will be subtle alterations here and there in your psychology, little tweaks and improvements in your personality, a much better perspective on how you see things and on what you prioritise and so on and so forth but bottomline IT IS STILL "YOU" smiley

Why? Well, because it's been part of you (your memories and personality albeit hidden/undiscovered) all along and only needed you to have it ressurrected so as to improve your mental outlook and subtly alter some aspects of who you are so that a possibly better and more powerful "YOU" can emerge.

More like maximising your full brain's potentials not initially possible in your "old brain". smiley

@Seventh bolded.... Yep.. I admit. There are risks in "birthing never-seen-before psychological disorders" IF A FEW THINGS GO WRONG in the process.

The minutest miscalculation can be catastrophic hence the need to be certain of detailed steps in realising this BIG DREAM OF SCIENCE.... "Immortality". smiley

So in all, is this worth all the risk? I will use Ben Carson's risk checker evaluation to answer this...

Before you take a risk, especially a big risk, ask yourself these four questions:

- What is the best thing that will happen if I do this?

- What is the worst thing that will happen if I do this?

- What is the best thing that will happen if I do not do this?

And finally,

- What is the worst thing that will happen if I do not do this?

Your personal honest/sincere answers to these questions as a scientist will go a good way in helping to ascertain if a risk is worth your sweat. smiley

So my answer to your "risk" question is dependent on your own evaluation of the four "what's" of risk as seen above. I could say yes, it's worth it. I could say no, it's not worth it.

But it's all about perspective and conviction which is quite personal and cannot be generalised.

So Sir... This is it... I hope I have been able to do some good justice to most (or rather all) of the questions raised.

Thanks for engaging me... I appreciate. smiley

onwards:

First off, I'm not scared of death but then again I'm really very curious about our species advancement in the fields of science and technology in the next couple of centuries. Suffice to say I would want to live beyond the regular human lifetime if that were possible. I am greedy like that

Reading this article triggered certain questions in me.

I know about cryonics and cryogenics and I understand biology enough to know that the word death is very ambiguous.

1. A clone of me would not necessarily be me right? Doesn't matter if the genetic material from me is 100% pure, the clone would still be a different human being with different experiences and memories, right?

If that is the case, 2. how else then can biological immortality be achieved?

Let's assume that the preservation techniques employed in cryonics are able to keep my brain in its 'before death' state. As we age, our cell divisions are accompanied with losses of information. The brain cells are no exception. Muscle memory and other information I have been able to store before being frozen are intricately wrapped around this neuro-cellular genetic information losses according to theory.

3. The question is: What benefit therefore is there to me; frozen at 60 years, knowing fully well that my brain is no longer at its peak performance and implying that I can only get a limited operational time from it I.e. another 100 years tops (after quality nutrition) with each passing day meaning a loss in brain power as I think and live?

4. Can my memories be intact if they can reverse the aging process of the brain?
Because honestly there is no use if I can't have my memories after the aging process is reversed/I have my memories and the aging process is irreversible.

Also, I believe our memories form our core identity. We are what we have experienced. If science eventually finds a way to transfer our memories to another healthier brain, 5. should that not imply that we are biologically immortal?

Also, our memories are usually juggled in layers and layers making it such that we never truly forget but simply can't recreate the neural pathways of older memories. Transferring our memories to healthier and newer brains may mean easier access to these older forgotten memories which may also imply that our thought pattern will remarkably change - as certain incidences which we could not access or make meaning of due to limited experience at the moment they were formed - may be re-accessed and reassessed to form newer conclusions which may alter our original psychology and personality.

6. Can I still comfortably call this new memory - me? as I may be very different from the person I was- before and after each iteration of memory transfer.

Again there is a risk in birthing never seen before psychological disorders. 7. Is this procedure worth this potential risk?

some of these questions require technical answers others require your opinion.

Thanks. smiley

1 Like

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Blessograo(f): 4:16am On Nov 24, 2016
Even me as a medical student will not support it. I don't still understand why some medical teams likes to play God, you can cure a patient from a disease or ailment but when it comes to death, let's just leave that to God. I'm waiting for the time scientists will start creating human beings. If someone is dead leave them dead.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Blessograo(f): 4:19am On Nov 24, 2016
One thing I know for sure is ALCOR is getting heavy pay and by the time they decide to give up on this preservation thing the family members who decide to put them through the process will be dead by then.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by 2naira50kobo: 4:38am On Nov 24, 2016
"...it is appointed unto man once to die. After death is judgement."
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by gabonsky: 7:03am On Nov 24, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
@first bolded... A Clone is actually you just genetically-wise but definitely not personality-wise. In cloning, a lot of genes can be added during the reproductive cloning process to give the clone what you want it to have as suited for your purpose. So it's just a "genetic you" but not a "YOU" in the sense of your personality, psychology and experiences.

@second bolded.... Hmmm... Biological immortality huh? That will see you maintaining ALL that makes you "You" in terms of your memories, personality and more without the need for making new memories afresh or worrying that your new body will also age and you'll need another "clone transfer" to start the process yet again all over.... smiley

Well, James Cameron's 2009 Avatar movie comes to mind in a way. That's fiction but it tallies with some information I did come across over a year ago.... "INITIATIVE 2045" smiley

This is the brainchild of a Russian billionaire named Istkov who craves "immortality". He's so far put together some of the finest minds in science to make it happen. **Kindly check it out... INITIATIVE 2045**

So to answer your question on how biological immortality can be achieved from science's point of view, I will say it is by science coming up with a way to have our memories and personality uploaded/transferred into a NON-BIOLOGICAL CARRIER/BODY... More like an "AVATAR" either via Brain Transplant or by brain-computer autonomous interface transfer.

Uploading or transplanting your brain to another brand new "biological carrier" will only delay the inevitable because we'll still have to reach that point again where aging sets in.

BUT AGAIN, ON AGING, IF AGING CAN BE REVERSED THEN TRANSFER TO A BIOLOGICAL CARRIER MIGHT JUST WORK "PERMANENTLY". Research on telomeres/Telomerase and its connection to the anti-aging process as seen in the works of Elizabeth Blackburn and Carol Greider (Nobel laureates in 2009) holds some fine promise but it's still a long way to unravelling all the mystery thus the way for now will be to focus on a non-biological carrier that will hold our memories and personality just the way we do so in our biological forms. Yep... I'm talking super advanced hi-tech android life forms... Loolll

@third bolded..... lolll... You've already outlined the answer here yourself. You're simply saying, "Heck! There's no need man... This is just delaying the inevitability of aging and decline." smiley

I trust my reply in no.2 have also addressed to a certain extent why this "cryonics way" or even cloning wont be the best for you.... wink

@Fourth bolded.... aging process of the brain... smiley I already talked about Telomeres and Telomerase just briefly and their connection to aging/anti-aging in humans.

You age because the telomeres of your chromosomes shorten with age and thus affect all cell activities in your bodies with time including that of your brain.

The enzyme telomerase is what acts to keep the telomeres from shortening rapidly (and even increasing its length) but again telomerase naturally reduces with age. This discovery is so remarkable and it means all we gotta do is to find a way to keep our telomeres from shortening in our chromosomal make-up. And that also means sustaining the secretion of telomerase because the more telomerase, the longer our telomeres get and that will reflect in our gene expression phenotypically as our cells (including that of the brain) will begin acting as if they were many years younger...... Thus killing the aging process for good. smiley

So without further ado... "Can my memories be intact if they can reverse the aging process of the brain?"---»» I boldly say yes Sir... smiley Not only will your memories be intact but your memory power will likely be boosted to function at levels youngsters at their "brain-power peak" also function.

@Fifth bolded..... You're so right. Our memories form a major part of our core identity. We are indeed what we have experienced. smiley

The implication of science one day finding a way to have our memories and personality transferred to a more advanced and far healthier "permanently efficient" brain either in a biological or non-biological (advanced) android carrier is not necessarily the "possible fact" that man has the ability (only if found) to be JUST "biologically" immortal BUT RATHER the "possible fact" that man has the ability to be either biologically or non-biologically immortal. smiley

**You never know which one mankind will achieve first. The Biological or non-biological forms of immortality...... AND WHEN WE SPEAK OF IMMORTALITY, we do so in the absence of certain extreme external factors/forces like a nuclear blast for instance. Our forms will most likely not survive that... Looolll**

Why do I keep mentioning non-biological? Because, that looks like the most "concrete" way for man to achieve immortality.

Telomeres research and anti-aging discoveries still on today do have super prospects for man some day living without ever getting old.

BUT I must say the likelihood of this immortality is most likely to be seen in non-biological life forms.... SUPER ADVANCED ANDROID LIFE FORMS... AVATARS-KINDA smiley

Lemme digress to religion a little, In Christianity, we understand that Man will live forever with Jesus Christ in paradise right? And will do so in a "new body". Hmmm.... Now this body will be "perfect" and not "fleshly" (not of human flesh). It speaks of a "higher" kind of life form..... smiley

Now for mankind, that "higher" from a non-religious perspective will most likely be super advanced android/non-biological life forms. wink

@Sixth bolded...... Brilliant question! smiley Truth is this is quite tricky but one thing is certain, IT'S STILL "YOU" smiley Yes, it is still "you". There will be subtle alterations here and there in your psychology, little tweaks and improvements in your personality, a much better perspective on how you see things and on what you prioritise and so on and so forth but bottomline IT IS STILL "YOU" smiley

Why? Well, because it's been part of you (your memories and personality albeit hidden/undiscovered) all along and only needed you to have it ressurrected so as to improve your mental outlook and subtly alter some aspects of who you are so that a possibly better and more powerful "YOU" can emerge.

More like maximising your full brain's potentials not initially possible in your "old brain". smiley

@Seventh bolded.... Yep.. I admit. There are risks in "birthing never-seen-before psychological disorders" IF A FEW THINGS GO WRONG in the process.

The minutest miscalculation can be catastrophic hence the need to be certain of detailed steps in realising this BIG DREAM OF SCIENCE.... "Immortality". smiley

So in all, is this worth all the risk? I will use Ben Carson's risk checker evaluation to answer this...

Before you take a risk, especially a big risk, ask yourself these four questions:

And finally,

Your personal honest/sincere answers to these questions as a scientist will go a good way in helping to ascertain if a risk is worth your sweat. smiley

So my answer to your "risk" question is dependent on your own evaluation of the four "what's" of risk as seen above. I could say yes, it's worth it. I could say no, it's not worth it.

But it's all about perspective and conviction which is quite personal and cannot be generalised.

So Sir... This is it... I hope I have been able to do some good justice to most (or rather all) of the questions raised.

Lovely answer to his question and i hope u will be a clonical doctor
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Caleycash(m): 7:31am On Nov 24, 2016
Foolish people everywhere!!
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by abdulmalik3(m): 8:36am On Nov 24, 2016
I hope so
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 24, 2016
Muafrika2:

The idea of creating a clone and transferring the brain to it sounds like an idea I would try.

O'ld boy leave that thing. Go do garri chop first.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by onwards: 12:44pm On Nov 24, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

And finally,

I know humans will want to explore the android path to our species'immortality but i still believe that the technology behind biological creatures far exceeds any metallic contraption we can come up with. The brain for instance is very delicate and yet very powerful. Replicating the awesomeness of the brain is a technology I don't foresee occurring in a very long time.

In Engineering we say the greater the functionality/complexity, the lesser the safety/ruggedity of the machine. It is a rule that even nature abides by. That's why our brains are sealed off in a thick skull and our heart and lungs are covered with the rib cage. My fear stems from the possibility of having a technology that relies on chips or today's transistor technology... the perfection demanded in the manufacturing process might be near impossible to replicate in reality. Well, we have nanotech though but even nanotech has limits.

Our computers today are manufactured by cramming chips into the tiniest spaces on wafers. The limit to the number of semi conductors that can be crammed is nearly being entirely overrun. That means that probably our computers for the future will require a new manufacturing process for their chips if they were to get any faster. If this a new method is not discovered we may be left to explore other alternatives like growing brains and using them to power our supercomputers eventually!!! grin grin Biotechnology seems like the viable future wink

The telomere tech is still in its young stages but you will agree with me that it's just a matter of time; Aging will take place eventually. Like it is said "Death comes for us all" grin I would much rather they channel the research resources to memory transfer than enhancing our telomeres' resistance to aging.

The answer you provided about the psychological differences in me after every iteration of memory transfer is still kinda hanging there somewhere. It begs the question?

What then is consciousness

Very Apt response.

Thanks for your time and also for your recommendation. I will look into initiative 2045 as soon as I am done typing this reply.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by onwards: 12:49pm On Nov 24, 2016
Blessograo:
Even me as a medical student will not support it. I don't still understand why some medical teams likes to play God, you can cure a patient from a disease or ailment but when it comes to death, let's just leave that to God. I'm waiting for the time scientists will start creating human beings. If someone is dead leave them dead.

I disagree.

Where do you draw the line?
You leave this tech to God therefore means that we should leave all illness to God too. He granted us the wisdom/talents, he encouraged us to use it (parable of the talents) and he is God so he should be able to stop any discovery that doesn't glorify him right?

God is all powerful. We should stop fighting his battles.

Afterall there is nothing that happens that he hasn't willed.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by gabonsky: 3:37pm On Nov 24, 2016
onwards:

I disagree.

You leave this tech to God therefore means that we should leave all illness to God too. He granted us the wisdom/talents, he encouraged us to use it (parable of the talents) and he is God so he should be able to stop any discovery that doesn't glorify him right?

hmmm, that got me thinking.....
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:09pm On Nov 24, 2016
On first reply, You're welcome Sir... smiley

In Finality, Lemme drop one more time, a few more replies in response to a few stuffs raised again from your new reply. smiley

True.... Thanks goodness you admit wholely that there's something "super special" about our brains that makes replicating the science behind it (so) "almost impossible". smiley

"Almost" because I believe there's this little chance it can actually be done but I dont know for sure if our world of science for the present and the future will ever reach that point to ever make it happen (even in the light of daring brain-mind researches globally).

As we speak there are still a lot of enigmas surrounding the brain. Example: Man still can't explain in details something as "simple" as why we yawn. smiley **that's just one out of so many** wink (But hopefully, one by little one, every enigma of the brain will come crashing down). smiley

And yep, research on the "first bolded" is actually on. And I (too) see a gigantic possibility in it. Linked to a crossroads between stem cells research and super advanced computer technology in a big way. wink

@Second bolded.... Well, I was just laying before you the many options and various possible paths to "immortality" that you crave... smiley But hey! Dont rule out or undermine the prospects of Telomeres just yet. wink

Memory transfer is one of the key components of INITIATIVE 2045.

I did place a lotta emphasis on the non-biological carrier more like a super advanced android (avatar) BUT WHAT I SUBTLY LEFT OUT WHICH I HOPE YOU'LL FIND WHEN LOOKING THROUGH THE INITIATIVE 2045 PLAN ONLINE IS THE "FINAL PLAN" TO HAVE THE SUPER ANDROID LIFE FORMS/avatars replaced by Holograms in the longest run.

Also, I gotta say that the brain transplant procedure has not been perfected just yet and this is also key to Istkov's INITIATIVE 2045 as regards Memory transfer and the likes.

An attempt by an Italian neurosurgeon to carry out the world's first "successful" head transplant by 2017 (just next year) will go a long way in bringing us closer to the possibilities of ACTUALLY DOING BRAIN TRANSPLANTS. wink

On your last question.... "What then is consciousness?"

Firstly, lemme drop your "preamble-like" statement and question which led to this point.

Transferring our memories to healthier and newer brains may mean easier access to these older forgotten memories which may also
imply that our thought pattern will remarkably change - as certain incidences which we could not access or make meaning of due to limited experience at the moment they were formed - may be re-accessed and reassessed to form newer conclusions which may alter our original psychology and personality.
Can I still comfortably call this new memory - me? as I may be very different from the person I was- before and after each iteration of memory transfer.

I did call this "tricky" because it delves into an area of neurosciences which is still sketchy to most neuroscientists but from the studies I'm exposed to so far at Hopkins, I am made to understand that "Yes, It would still be You"... And I explained "why" simplistically in my previous post.

Now because we speak of memories and personality/psycholgy and our sense of self and more as regards the Iteration of memory transfer, then no doubt, the question of "consciousness" comes up but I didn't wanna go into that because it's so huge thus I tried to give a straight-forward answer which is "Yes, it would still be You". And from what I know, I know I'm right.... But a few tweaks remain. smiley

Now to consciousness.... What is consciousness? smiley

Very huge area to tackle but progress in understanding this is being made albeit slowly hence its sketchy nature to many scientists today.

There's no single definition for Human Consciousness. It could be defined as having a sense of selfhood, or called "your wakefulness state". Also, it could be defined as "awareness" or even the executive control system of your mind.

There are many definitions for consciousness BUT ONE THING IS SURE. It is about experiencing and feeling something and being aware of it either cognitively, "sensorily", or otherwise....

Consciousness has a lot of theories which dates back to the days of Hippocrates but in today's modern neurosciences world, ONLY TWO THEORIES HOLD SOUND PROMISE SO FAR... There may be interconnected with one or two more theories no doubt, but these two still stand alone and with good prospects of understanding the "full" depths, length, breadth and heights of Human Consciousness.

We Have the following:

<The Global workspace theory of Human Consciousness>

This theory explains the brain as working as a kinda memory chip or card or something like that as one can call up and retain the details of an experience even after it has passed.
It was developed by Bernard Baars. smiley

The theory is based on an old concept from artificial intelligence (I did say something on artificial intelligence earlier today in the science and tech section) called the blackboard, a kind of memory bank which various computer programs could access.

Anything, and I mean anything, from the color of the dress worn on your wedding day to the many memories of your childhood can be loaded into the brain's "blackboard", from where it can be sent to other brain areas that will process it.

According to this theory (Global workspace theory), the act of broadcasting information
around the brain from this memory bank is what
represents consciousness.

<The Integrated information theory of Human Consciousness>.

The central idea of this theory is this: Conscious experience represents the integration of a wide variety of information, and that this experience is "irreducible".

This means that when you open your eyes (assuming you have normal vision), you can't simply choose to see everything in black and white.

Instead, your brain effortlessly "weaves together a complex web of information from sensory systems and cognitive processes."

Lemme end this way..... smiley

There's a very interesting corollary of the integrated information theory of Human Consciousness and it says,

"No computer simulation, no matter how faithfully it replicates a human mind, could ever become conscious."

What am I saying?

You can stimulate rainfall or thunderstorms in a computer, but it will never get wet or soaked" smiley

Hope you found the Initiative 2045 very daring indeed and interesting.

On Consciousness, this is a huge and "kinda mysterious" area of the human species and time won't permit me to delve deeper plus there's a whole lot I still got to master myself as consciousness research is "wow" smiley

So for the final time, this is it again Sir.... smiley

Thanks for granting me the privilege to engage in some good "mind-rubbing" and knowledge sharing with you. Godbless. smiley

onwards:

I know humans will want to explore the android path to our species'immortality but i still believe that the technology behind biological creatures far exceeds any metallic contraption we can come up with. The brain for instance is very delicate and yet very powerful. Replicating the awesomeness of the brain is a technology I don't foresee occurring in a very long time.

In Engineering we say the greater the functionality/complexity, the lesser the safety/ruggedity of the machine. It is a rule that even nature abides by. That's why our brains are sealed off in a thick skull and our heart and lungs are covered with the rib cage. My fear stems from the possibility of having a technology that relies on chips or today's transistor technology... the perfection demanded in the manufacturing process might be near impossible to replicate in reality. Well, we have nanotech though but even nanotech has limits.

Our computers today are manufactured by cramming chips into the tiniest spaces on wafers. The limit to the number of semi conductors that can be crammed is nearly being entirely overrun. That means that probably our computers for the future will require a new manufacturing process for their chips if they were to get any faster. If this a new method is not discovered we may be left to explore other alternatives like growing brains and using them to power our supercomputers eventually!!! grin grin Biotechnology seems like the viable future wink

The telomere tech is still in its young stages but you will agree with me that it's just a matter of time; Aging will take place eventually. Like it is said "Death comes for us all" grin I would much rather they channel the research resources to memory transfer than enhancing our telomeres' resistance to aging.

The answer you provided about the psychological differences in me after every iteration of memory transfer is still kinda hanging there somewhere. It begs the question?

What then is consciousness

Very Apt response.

Thanks for your time and also for your recommendation. I will look into initiative 2045 as soon as I am done typing this reply.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Blessograo(f): 8:45pm On Nov 24, 2016
onwards:

I disagree.

I just believe God has given us everything thing we need to keep us healthy but the key to death should be God's. The more we keep hoping medical technology can help bring the dead back to life makes it more difficult for us to let go which makes it tougher and late for us to accept the person is gone cos the longer the dead remains in that facility the family will always remember they have a dead person they are responsible for till they are dead too. Well, we all entitled to our opinion at the end of the day.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by olumite1234(m): 11:52pm On Nov 24, 2016
The conflict between science and religion has been a long issue. In 1663, the church arrest four scientist, they where tourtured ,branded on the chest with the symbol of the cross and executed publicly just because they where trying to use scientific means to explain some things which the church believe is a miracle and discovering herbs to cure diseases which the chuurch believe its only God that can cure. Galilio galilee was arrested by the catholic church and put on permanent house arrest because he was trying to convince the church that science and religion are not enemies but allies!Two things explaining the same thing in two different ways. The church has been hunting science since ancient times and till today. In this modern age,the church has been slowing down the progress of science research
But the truth is- religion is real and science is real. Science should allow religion to practice their doctrine and religion should give science space to prove their hyothesis.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Precious Iwezoa: 13-Year-Old Girl Commits Suicide In Edo (Photos) / Entire Family Members Dead After Having Their Dinner In Anambra (Photo) / Before And After Look Of A Lady That Survived Gas Explosion 3 Years Ago (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.