Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,354 members, 7,836,450 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

Breathless - The Scorch Chronicles - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Breathless - The Scorch Chronicles (546 Views)

Chronicles Of Tracy / The Romantic Chronicles Of Badoh / Marvel Chronicles 2 :executive Sanction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Breathless - The Scorch Chronicles by ArrowAssassin1(m): 3:31pm On Nov 27, 2016
Hey guys, I have been an active reader here and I felt that it was high time I wrote my own book, start to finish. This is my first attempt at that, so please your likes and comments are very important. Read and learn.

JAZMYN

It was too late to turn around now.

The wasteland is already mad at us so we face it with equal determination. Sandstorm gusts kept howling in a scary manner as they reached wicked speeds, blasting us with sand from all sides. Visibility was hazy, leaving the rising sun as our only guide.

Our stead fought on, battling against the harsh winds. Its hooves dug into the hard cracked dirt in the fight for traction. The huge chestnut mare was a survivor. But there’s only so much she can get beaten with. She was clearly getting weak but my father pushed her on.

I pitied for her. My dad, Isaac held her by the reins, steering us deeper into the sea of dust. The only thing protecting him from a dusty beating was his clothes, his worn out boots and the wide brim hat that shielded his eyes.
A sleek chrome device is strapped to his left wrist; a similar one is strapped to mine too. Its Old World technology that helps us survive.

I simply hid behind my father’s back on the horse, shielding myself from the dust. A compound bow hung off my back on a leather strap. Although I knew a few self defense tricks, I could barely shoot straight. But dad wasn’t going to leave me without a weapon. Even though he always kept me close. He claimed it was a promise he made to my mother.
I never knew her.

My vision dims in the dust and all that remains are memories. They take me back - back to the time when there was green. I’ve seen the pictures. My father told me that a hundred years ago, these wastes were the ashes of a place called the Amazon rainforest. He told me that this land was once vibrant, filled with life. He said it was the lungs of the earth.

Until it was destroyed.

Torched in a blaze by the human race. It turns out that Mother Nature always wins. For in the end, our air practically became unbreathable.

The sleek chrome devices on our wrists are what help us stay alive. They are injectors for oxygen. Locked into an injector is a small replaceable tube. We call it an oxy-tube. It’s filled with pulsating blue liquid. The oxy-tube is how we respirate. Liquid oxygen injected straight into our bloodstream. Our horse has its own. It’s the only way for any living creature to survive. At least above water.

With O2levels too low to support life, terrestrial plants and animals began to die out. Mankind went rogue on itself in the fight for resources. It was the only the necessities that mattered, be it water, oxy-tubes and food. Banknotes fluttered in city streets. They were piled in gutters and thrown away with the trash. Even gold became useless and forgotten. Eventually tensions grew and the conflicts known as the Element Wars began. Whole cities were plundered by armies, they came in coal powered war machines. Some helped us, most fought against us. And the rest was history.

My dad believed in the hope of finding a place with breathable air and that was how our journey began. A quest only few believe we would finish. A fifteen year old girl and her father, on a quest to find the last breathable city.

We were almost out of the storm when I spotted something looming in the distance. I nearly screamed for joy. Our journey has left us dry for a while now. It was time to finally quench our thirst.

‘’Dad."

My father turned at me before looking in the direction I was pointing to. The structure became clear. It was a fiberglass windmill. The windmill squeaked as it turned, below it was the source of my excitement. A stone well protruding from the ground.

We quickly dismounted from the horse. Isaac motioned for me to wait while he checked the well out. For all he knew, the well could simply be an ambush by bandits.

My hand pulled back a loose of my braid before I decided to check on our mare. The stress of breaching the sandstorm clearly took a toll on her. Even with that, she still looked alluring, like a true equus caballus. Her dark brown skin gleamed under the heat of the sun. Her mane was so lovely that my palm unconsciously caressed it. ShShe neighed loudly.
It wasn’t me, it was something else.

My gaze drifted to her injector which was on her front thigh. Her oxy-tube was almost empty. ‘’Dad,’’ I called out. ‘’Her tube’s running out. Want me to change it?’’

Isaac nodded, raising his jutted jaw. His big arms bear the scars of the many times he has had to beat back marauders attracted by the oxy-tubes in our stock. His hat was still shielding his eyes. We shared the same green color of retina but I don’t think my stare is as bold as his. But our resemblance is still there, same straight black hair, same honey skin. Dad adjusted his brown felt jacket, shaking off dust before proceeding to the well.

I had my own job too. The oxy-tubes were in a pouch hanging from the saddle of the horse. Pulling out the stead’s empty tube from its injector, I quickly replace it with a full one. The horse staggered for a second. ‘’Its okay girl,’’ I say, comforting her.

Dad found a bucket with a rope attached. There was no time to start cranking up the windmill. I could see it in his eyes. It's the same rush I always have whenever I'm close to something.
Isaac lowered the bucket into the well. There was a splash. He's hit something. Without hesitation, he began pulling the bucket back up. My gaze focused on the pulling. I was anxious and excited at the same time.

The bucket finally emerged. Black, slimy liquid overflowed from it. Whatever that liquid was, it was undrinkable. I stood still as the despair sank in. The frustation was even worse for my dad. He didn't waste time in smashing the bucket against the well.

The sandstorm was trouble, the bad water was no less. A saying came to my mind seconds before Dad echoed it. "Trouble sires three children." And I knew immediately that we didn't want to meet the third child.

I turned around just in time to catch a glimpse of movement in the distance. Unsure of what it was, I stared harder into the horizon. A flat pan of dry and lifeless earth stretches as far as I can see. No hills or valleys. Just an orange-yellow sea of dust and rocks; which meets with the cloudless and pale blue sky.

Something loomed out of it, coming towards us.

Maybe its the heat playing tricks on my eyes which are heavy and gritty through lack of sleep and the effort of concentration.

It's no illusion. The figure approaching in the distance confirmes that. "Dad?" I say, calling his attention.
Isaac raised his head to take a look too. The outline of the approaching figure became clear. The figure, a burly looking man was wearing a long duster coat with a fedora on his head.

Dad was immediately apprehensive, almost as if he sensed danger. Isaac flicked back his jacket exposing his Colt .45 tucked away in its holster. It was a big long dragoon pistol, an old fashioned kind. But don't let appearances fool you, this weapon was merely an extension of dad's hands, lethal and fast.

Fear washed over Dad's face as two more figures, emerged from behind the burly man. I felt it too. The men, fresh from the dust had their faces covered by balaclavas which exposed only their vicious eyes. A cold shiver ran down my spine as I realised who they were.

Bandits.

I knew immediately: they were the third child of trouble.

---------

Onemansquad Psalmology Lildrizzle Bluestarry macpetrus. Uthman51 stuff46 seunviju kceemart kingsley18 nceedaga therealbabe Costlybabe prettydiva89 Rounakid IdyRaph kingphilip Otupeluv heemah will007 aprilwise demmy66 KOLITE93 missfaviy 1sikiru1 MhizTemmie Missmossy lovingangel Mimikathy JulietAKK faithomoh24 cheskabiney Sirfrederick labaski Harmonyemerald ayodijex Fembleez1 MissMalia mismore Omotayelolu. Omotayelolu Sanmix2007 kenoz shoyemiayodeji boladegreat shegs2009 ixora3 Kruzilano Tholuwani michaelmo11 Noela12 hadease sherryshitt lhateaphart21 MsKaffy Feyikemi12 Maryofficial Tuljaking underage nceedaga abbiey Queening missuniverse EllaGold35 Orlolahdey Klare fam24 loshybab clemz88 qhutetomsel jaymomma nimat158 tizblink sheyflixy1 Israel23 lilbethlars merasnipes deslim Lobolintin bumsiee teelord1 ngona Chivee latbas rotluv famora d4real890 soniachuks Niwdog amyvals SweetyZinta niffy102 Ormorlehwah Frankzamani OlufemiWhit ChyEndowed jeremie97 bamgbalaot leosmaria Chimdim silverx teeman10 awesomebabe sbyna omobola200 ArrowAssassin Preeteeshir GATED IamYhudii adeh39 chinedumo adeodunsimilolu akugbemike Aipete2 Hicea1 Ashiat39 rollex4ever ritzeluv slimport Uthman2senior mercydaniel loveyP tizblink Felinize folake25 princessadeola girly2020 umahi69 BlizzydoDo Dahprech Dahprech SPDAZZY Shoelace1 mimicious gunners160 Rajosh Fumzybabe Brozo1 will007 Coolfaze Omoalhaja7 Ronke001 Slingkey FIDELITY24 chiboyo rhoseti1 totalhouse adefunke62 temilade20 jecigold happinessa517 pweetyoge donziller gabrisunate emtebe blossomic fabulousbrainzz Holuwadharah Executiveti loshybab GiftedAgwu juliejames sodson11 Angelina996 Mj45 Airies Yungdamsel folalek Godwinfriz kemmyp michaelmo11 Damzy997 MrKIDO raffyreuz Damiewonder uniqueflash oluwasolajames PEZMAN Upnepaa GodWisdom Ashraf123 Itzemmyzone Kakabliss Pukka36 meekmiki6. Heemah DandyPearl Bellovers Sageez Afz9095 Ysadiq DVMtuppence Calmdove Domido Maggielovely Rukkydelta Damyem Mutdam Olaxtra Daslad M003 Ernie98 Kingphillip Youngseraph Emerald18 Jhybho Fiyah Chinwezdasilva Jsharp Adajiboyy Ideatoprince18 Deesquare01 Nidaxj Snowangel Gbens2000 Spdazzy Mattkent Dimssy Hefelove Iyoha240 donkross1 talius oyinprince repogirl divepen1 ozila sampete eliboy92 sageez johnspurgeon014 olarhtunji holuwaferanmi francistony chocckidd ohibenemma greatbrian angelsss waShine
olatex25, ysadiq, Rajesh, Mrlemuel, FlordFlorex, ritababe, TheBlessedMAN, SmartestPopQUEEN, cherrybrown, bamiradex, mindfrick

1 Like

Re: Breathless - The Scorch Chronicles by SPDAZZY(f): 5:18pm On Nov 27, 2016
ArrowAssassin1:
Hey guys, I have been an active reader here and I felt that it was high time I wrote my own book, start to finish. This is my first attempt at that, so please your likes and comments are very important. Read and learn.

JAZMYN

------

Onemansquad Psalmology Lildrizzle Bluestarry macpetrus. Uthman51 stuff46 seunviju kceemart kingsley18 nceedaga therealbabe Costlybabe prettydiva89 Rounakid IdyRaph kingphilip Otupeluv heemah will007 aprilwise demmy66 KOLITE93 missfaviy 1sikiru1 MhizTemmie Missmossy lovingangel Mimikathy JulietAKK faithomoh24 cheskabiney Sirfrederick labaski Harmonyemerald ayodijex Fembleez1 MissMalia mismore Omotayelolu. Omotayelolu Sanmix2007 kenoz shoyemiayodeji boladegreat shegs2009 ixora3 Kruzilano Tholuwani michaelmo11 Noela12 hadease sherryshitt lhateaphart21 MsKaffy Feyikemi12 Maryofficial Tuljaking underage nceedaga abbiey Queening missuniverse EllaGold35 Orlolahdey Klare fam24 loshybab clemz88 qhutetomsel jaymomma nimat158 tizblink sheyflixy1 Israel23 lilbethlars merasnipes deslim Lobolintin bumsiee teelord1 ngona Chivee latbas rotluv famora d4real890 soniachuks Niwdog amyvals SweetyZinta niffy102 Ormorlehwah Frankzamani OlufemiWhit ChyEndowed jeremie97 bamgbalaot leosmaria Chimdim silverx teeman10 awesomebabe sbyna omobola200 ArrowAssassin Preeteeshir GATED IamYhudii adeh39 chinedumo adeodunsimilolu akugbemike Aipete2 Hicea1 Ashiat39 rollex4ever ritzeluv slimport Uthman2senior mercydaniel loveyP tizblink Felinize folake25 princessadeola girly2020 umahi69 BlizzydoDo Dahprech Dahprech SPDAZZY Shoelace1 mimicious gunners160 Rajosh Fumzybabe Brozo1 will007 Coolfaze Omoalhaja7 Ronke001 Slingkey FIDELITY24 chiboyo rhoseti1 totalhouse adefunke62 temilade20 jecigold happinessa517 pweetyoge donziller gabrisunate emtebe blossomic fabulousbrainzz Holuwadharah Executiveti loshybab GiftedAgwu juliejames sodson11 Angelina996 Mj45 Airies Yungdamsel folalek Godwinfriz kemmyp michaelmo11 Damzy997 MrKIDO raffyreuz Damiewonder uniqueflash oluwasolajames PEZMAN Upnepaa GodWisdom Ashraf123 Itzemmyzone Kakabliss Pukka36 meekmiki6. Heemah DandyPearl Bellovers Sageez Afz9095 Ysadiq DVMtuppence Calmdove Domido Maggielovely Rukkydelta Damyem Mutdam Olaxtra Daslad M003 Ernie98 Kingphillip Youngseraph Emerald18 Jhybho Fiyah Chinwezdasilva Jsharp Adajiboyy Ideatoprince18 Deesquare01 Nidaxj Snowangel Gbens2000 Spdazzy Mattkent Dimssy Hefelove Iyoha240 donkross1 talius oyinprince repogirl divepen1 ozila sampete eliboy92 sageez johnspurgeon014 olarhtunji holuwaferanmi francistony chocckidd ohibenemma greatbrian angelsss waShine
olatex25, ysadiq, Rajesh, Mrlemuel, FlordFlorex, ritababe, TheBlessedMAN, SmartestPopQUEEN, cherrybrown, bamiradex, mindfrick

Présent monsieur

1 Like

Re: Breathless - The Scorch Chronicles by olatex25(m): 1:54pm On Nov 28, 2016
Present sire.. Make i park my venza jeep for here..

(1) (Reply)

A Review Of Toke Makinwa's On Becoming / The Damned / The Foggy Path (a Comedomantic Story Inspired By True Life Events)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.