Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,051 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent (17651 Views)

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? / Can A Rented Apartment Contribute To The Downfall Or Growth Of A Tenant? / Edo Landlord Burns Down His House Over Tenants’ Refusal To Pay Rent (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by deebrain(m): 7:16am On Dec 03, 2016
permsec:
The truth is ur mum is wicked and inconsiderate... Inasmuch as u adress som1 as ur tenant doesn't make someone ur slave of some sort.... They have a burial at hand which means they'll spend money... Ur mom should show sympathy.

QED!

How wicked and inconsiderate..... really? I will say that the landlady was too forward (taking that action of opening the house without a law enforcement officer) BUT SHE HAS THE RIGHT TO DO WHAT SHE DID! .

How and where did she treat the said person as a slave?

You really need a doctor.

Shiior .

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Nobody: 7:16am On Dec 03, 2016
permsec:
The truth is ur mum is wicked and inconsiderate... Inasmuch as u adress som1 as ur tenant doesn't make someone ur slave of some sort.... They have a burial at hand which means they'll spend money... Ur mom should show sympathy.

QED!
I think you are being insensitive and judgemental. You can advice without judging
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by eleko1: 7:16am On Dec 03, 2016
permsec:

QED!
u are WICKED and heartless. For a good 8/9 months haba! so she should leave them cos of burial abi? Do u even knw if that house rent nah the woman livelihood.?so she won't train or pay her own children school fees?She won't pay local govt and land use charge abi? @ op,tell u r mama to remove the useless, hopeless pipu roof.pm me if u dey Lagos, soldiers dey burekete. Nonsense

5 Likes

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by transient123(m): 7:16am On Dec 03, 2016
Start praying for the tenant especially when you are sure it wasn't deliberate.
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Zetra(m): 7:17am On Dec 03, 2016
next time get report from law enforcement (Human rights /lawyer / police) before opening any locked rented property of yours. some tenants are heartless, they will laugh with you, beg you will all the names of God, call family members / religious bodies to plead for you to give them time to pay.
Then you see them buying Gen, getting pregnant, their kids entering into costly private school, but they will not plan how to always pay their rent on time when budgeting.
Lastly, when they packout suddenly and gradually after own like a year when the matter is in court and lockup the place.
nothing person never see for this Lagos with tenants.
Solution: get a competent property lawyer, it will less all these wahala, also tell your mum to stop discussing house matter too much with her tenants, they will always want to play with her emotions to favour them (I had that ish before)
but before you get a lawyer you can try these guy suggestion, I don't like it, but It do work, ask any yoruba landlord/landlady (no harm intended)

RullDee:
I wil simply pull off d roof especialy wen its a rainy season ;DI wil simply pull off d roof especialy wen its a rainy season

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by AfroKnight: 7:17am On Dec 03, 2016
permsec:

QED!

They are owing 11 months and you are here calling the Landlady names? If you were a landlord would you allow a tenant deceive you into enjoying 11 months free?

They are spending money on burial (that can be postponed) when they have not paid for the roof over their heads. Is that proper? Is it proper to cook food and throw a party for guests at a burial instead of paying rent?

...and you wrote QED. undecided

7 Likes

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by eleko1: 7:20am On Dec 03, 2016
LorDBolton:

I bet you have no assets
which assets? That one nah Ajegunle chief tenant.

3 Likes

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Chocogold: 7:20am On Dec 03, 2016
ezra1990:
Landlords n tenant relationship are tom n jerry.......abeg make una free those tenants jor after all we are all temporary residents in this world.
One stubborn tenant that don't like to pay his landlord sighted

3 Likes

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Saidu22(m): 7:20am On Dec 03, 2016
WenysAD:
Now they told me, cos I was around dat time, that they would be coming back immediately after the burial(the burial was Oct 14th and they travelled Sept 26th). They didn't come wen dey said dey would nor did they even call. I was d one calling and asking to come back and pack if they don't want to pay. She was telling me I'm coming today ir tomorrow till after two months. To cut d story short., she came back and went to the police dat we broke their key without even confronting us first to ask why. This is someone we are begging to pack their things after 11months without asking them pay cos dey don't like paying rent and dey cant even pay too. This is someone I buy things for her and her kids knowing their financial incapacitation cos the hubby is learning a hand work now when dey have 3kids at hand
Breaking into they apartment without any law enforcement around is wrong. the best way is to call for settlement.

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by TheSpellChecker: 7:22am On Dec 03, 2016
OP, your grammar sucks. embarassed
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by permsec: 7:23am On Dec 03, 2016
WenysAD:

This people don't want to pay. Even before d demise of her dey find it difficult to pay. Mum even went in the past to give dm advice on doing ajo daily in order to pay but dey didn't keep up. Imagine a woman dat the husband does nothing but stay home and impregnate d wife. The truth is them not wanting to do anything to pay their is wicked. I personal know how much I spent on dis family to help Dem especially feeding and medicals.

Lastly u are entitled to your opinion. Thanks all the same
Someone who's jobless cannot save. Tell ur mum to contact any of their relatives or close friends, call for a meeting and reach an agreement... I understand ur mums situation sha.

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Zetra(m): 7:24am On Dec 03, 2016
eleko1:
u are WICKED and heartless. For a good 8/9 months haba! so she should leave them cos of burial abi? Do u even knw if that house rent nah the woman livelihood.?so she won't train or pay her own children school fees?She won't pay local govt and land use charge abi? @ op,tell u r mama to remove the useless, hopeless pipu roof.pm me if u dey Lagos, soldiers dey burekete. Nonsense

I temper judgement with mercy, but if you have a house in Lagos and allow emotions to rule over your judgement, they will take you to the cleaners without thinking twice.
imagine tenant owning 8months then pack some of their property, to show they want to leave but lockup a room without telling the landlady. Remember they don't call, it's the op, and the mum that do call the tenant to resolve the issue.

yes some landlord/landlady don't have joy, but many people fail to plan how to always pay their rent when budgeting.

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by WenysAD(f): 7:25am On Dec 03, 2016
We have gone for settlement and they said they will be leaving in February

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by izzy4shizzy(m): 7:27am On Dec 03, 2016
Simple, just remove the roof and tell him you are renovating...no put am back till him packout
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by histemple: 7:27am On Dec 03, 2016
WenysAD:

This people don't want to pay. Even before d demise of her dey find it difficult to pay. Mum even went in the past to give dm advice on doing ajo daily in order to pay but dey didn't keep up. Imagine a woman dat the husband does nothing but stay home and impregnate d wife. The truth is them not wanting to do anything to pay their is wicked. I personal know how much I spent on dis family to help Dem especially feeding and medicals.

Lastly u are entitled to your opinion. Thanks all the same

You keep contradicting yourself. You told us that the tenants don't have money and in fact, you have been assisting them because of their poor state. So, how is it that you are accusing them of not wanting to pay, when you already said they don't have money?

Well, all the stories no longer makes any sense, the only trouble is that your mother has acted ultra-vires and may pay heavily for her actions.

You also said your mother had given them quit notice, So why didn't she go back to her lawyer for a follow-up?
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by LorDBolton(m): 7:29am On Dec 03, 2016
WenysAD:
Good day and happy new month Nairalanders. Pls I want u guys to judge dis scenario and pls lawyers can PM.
My mum's tenant haven't paid their rent for 8months as at September dis year. My mum gave Dem a quit notice to vacant her house before Sept. 20th or leave her house. Meanwhile d tenant lost her father and were planning to go for burial. They didn't pay and packed their things inside the one room apartment, locked it and travelled for d burial. They(the tenant and her jobless husband) weren't even calling mum at all ooo.
Now Mumsy came back and thought they had travelled a d opened the lock to check if they had packed their things only to discover they didn't pack not pay anything and left

Your ish about the broken locks can easily be handled by ur lawyer.

Now here is my advice, why not download the lagos tenancy law 2011? Digest it and learn to sign very tight tenancy agreements.

Recently on my street a family was evicted from their crib , the landlord just strolled to court with his lawyer got and eviction order and gbam they had legal backing to throw the tenant out... he never stressed himself.

If it will be unprofitable to hand the crib to estate agents/solicitors then try understanding the LASG tenancy laws , a carefully worded tenancy agreement will help u evict a tenant latest 2 months after the rent expires.
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by eleko1: 7:31am On Dec 03, 2016
WenysAD:
We have gone for settlement and they said they will be leaving in February
OK good.That make it 1 yr free . Feb isn't far.pls,don't let dem provoke u.
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by bolaji3071(m): 7:32am On Dec 03, 2016
Some Tenaots Are Just Plainly Wicked. We Have A Tenant Like That Too In One Of Our Family House In Somolu. She Doesnt Have Respect For Anyone, We Took The Case To Court, She Didnt Show Up. We Even Went To A Mediation Centre, She Havent Paid Close To 2 Years Rent Now Yet She Is Acting As Though She Is Above The Law. I Wish I Was The One Incharge Of The House, I Go Don Put Madness Join Even If Na To Sleep Cell But I Go Troway All Her Load Outside Wit Or Witout Her Consent !
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Vaxt(m): 7:34am On Dec 03, 2016
Icecomrade:

Wicked landlord.

How do you want them to raise money to pay you after looking at their condition you also narrated.

Will you die if you don't get your 8month rent now?

Is your family going to survive on the rent.

What will happen to you if you show some understanding and give them more time to stablize

Raise money and pay off accrued rent.

Ops

You people are very wicked.

God will punish you people

I pity u, u don't know wat u typed, may d tenant assisted the landlord to build the house &buy d land

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by LorDBolton(m): 7:36am On Dec 03, 2016
permsec:

I have a good sense of judgement. Tenants are humans and can be funny atimes but how abt landlords that increases their house rent incessantly withouth any upgrade in the apartment?

Still, I want u to tell me i'm wrong.

Do u have ANY ASSETS (i'm not even referring to strictly landed properties)

I know your type, your irrational statement stems from the fact you haven't played the role of OWNER/HOLDER b4

Also per. The bolded it doesn't explain your stupidity either, neither was was it stated in this case.

Your mentioning it shows you're a frustrated under-achiever so GTFH!

3 Likes

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by eleko1: 7:39am On Dec 03, 2016
Icecomrade:

Wicked landlord.

How do you want them to raise money to pay you after looking at their condition you also narrated.

What will happen to you if you show some understanding and give them more time to stablize

Ops

Maroko chief tenant. nah u and ur household ogun go wipe.What nonsense? So her house nah for charity? 8/9 months free abi?

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Icecomrade: 7:40am On Dec 03, 2016
Vaxt:
I pity u, u don't know wat u typed, may d tenant assisted the landlord to build the house &buy d land

People like you can kill for money.

You think few landlords who show understanding when a tenant is not able to meet obligations are fools

There is a place for humanity beyond getting money into your pockets.

God will punish people like you
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Nobody: 7:40am On Dec 03, 2016
I use to have a tenant like that also... what I did was that, I didn't break into the room the way your mum did but check through their window to know if they have packed or not. You know,most of this poor tenants are evil. They will be looking for ways to torment troubles, you should have known that except you didn't grow up in Lagos. I avoided the trouble they may bring since I know I have given them quit notice. After checking their window and know they have not yet obeyed the notice, I went to the police station I tipped them 2k. The police inspector called her and asked her when she would pack and let her know the consequences if she didn't pack as agreed in the presence of law enforcement agency. She packed the day she pronounced gangan in the Police Station...
Ironically, the flattinos in my house don't give me wahala ooo. .. it is the kwara people (the real afonja)
Seriously, she shouldn't have broken the door.

2 Likes

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by WenysAD(f): 7:41am On Dec 03, 2016
histemple:
You keep contradicting yourself. You told us that the tenants don't have money and in fact, you have been assisting them because of their poor state. So, how is it that you are accusing them of not wanting to pay, when you already said they don't have money? Well, all the stories no longer makes any sense, the only trouble is that your mother has acted ultra-vires and may pay heavily for her actions. You also said your mother had given them quit notice, So why didn't she go back to her lawyer for a follow-up?

They don't have money and don't want to make money by working which is wickedness cos dey saw we liked Dem by helping dem(a mistake we will never try even if d person is dying).
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by AZeD1(m): 7:41am On Dec 03, 2016
Icecomrade:

Wicked landlord.

Ops

Why don't you invite them to your house?

2 Likes

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by histemple: 7:41am On Dec 03, 2016
bolaji3071:
Some Tenaots Are Just Plainly Wicked. We Have A Tenant Like That Too In One Of Our Family House In Somolu. She Doesnt Have Respect For Anyone, We Took The Case To Court, She Didnt Show Up. We Even Went To A Mediation Centre, She Havent Paid Close To 2 Years Rent Now Yet She Is Acting As Though She Is Above The Law. I Wish I Was The One Incharge Of The House, I Go Don Put Madness Join Even If Na To Sleep Cell But I Go Troway All Her Load Outside Wit Or Witout Her Consent !

Just pray that you won't be tempted to take the laws into your hand. Aside sleeping in the police cell, you may end up selling your house to pay for damages if you are dealing with an educated person who knows his/her rights.

Self-help is dangerous because the law has provided for everything.

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by cassidy1996(m): 7:43am On Dec 03, 2016
No hope is lost all the same. Get a Lawyer. A very good one...sorry for the inconveniences
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Icecomrade: 7:44am On Dec 03, 2016
eleko1:
Maroko chief tenant. nah u and ur household ogun go wipe.What nonsense? So her house nah for charity? 8/9 months free abi?

Serving Ogun at this age and times we are in shows how back ward your mentality is.

That's more reason why people like you put up the kind of reason you gave.

If you feel pained about my opinion, tire cowries all over your body and retire to Ogun shrine.
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by WenysAD(f): 7:44am On Dec 03, 2016
Tosinayoko:
I use to have a tenant like that also... what I did was that, I didn't break into the room the way your mum did but check through their window to know if they packed it not. You know,most of this poor tenants are evil. They will be looking for ways to torment troubles, you should have known that except you didn't grow up in Lagos. I avoided the trouble that may bring since I know I have given them quit notice. After checking their window and know that have not yet obeyed the notice, I want to the police station I tipped them 2k. The police inspector called her and asked her when she would pack and let her know the consequences if she didn't pack as agreed in the presence of law enforcement agency. She packed the day she pronounced gangan in the Police Station...
Ironically, the flattinos in my house don't give me wahala ooo. .. it is the kwara people (the real afonja)
Seriously, she shouldn't have broken the door.

True talk. Datz d mistake on mum side. Thanks....lesson learnt
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by felixomor: 7:44am On Dec 03, 2016
permsec:

I have a good sense of judgement. Tenants are humans and can be funny atimes but how abt landlords that increases their house rent incessantly withouth any upgrade in the apartment?

Quiet.
Build and become a landlord and see things for urself first.
Then let me see wether u will talk like this.

4 Likes

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Punstar: 7:47am On Dec 03, 2016
Dealing with selfish and inconsiderate tenants can be frustrating.. ...Speaking from experience.

The best thing to do is involved a competent property manager or caretaker... It saves you such stress.
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Zetra(m): 7:48am On Dec 03, 2016
bolaji3071:

what surprises me is that they will not have money to pay rent, but will have money for court cases even till like two years, then Secretly packout, so you will lose the rent and money used in court cases.

just apply wisdom, don't throw her property outside, else she will claim millions was stolen in court then you will can the house rent and house but lose more than that for her property damage, if she takes the case to court

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do I Deal With My Landlord? / Lagos Warns Against Drilling Boreholes Without Licence, Permit / Owerri Project - 4 Duplex And 4 Units Of 2 Bedroom Flats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.