Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,725 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent (17647 Views)

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? / Can A Rented Apartment Contribute To The Downfall Or Growth Of A Tenant? / Edo Landlord Burns Down His House Over Tenants’ Refusal To Pay Rent (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by eleko1: 7:50am On Dec 03, 2016
Icecomrade:

Serving Ogun at this age and times we are in shows how back ward your mentality is.

That's more reason why people like you put up the kind of reason you gave.

If you feel pained about my opinion, tire cowries all over your body and retire to Ogun shrine.

Hopeless one.u want God to punish a nice landlady abi but fear Ogun to destroy u?God is still merciful. Ogun nor dey waste time,u go just somersault. No time
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by 2badForReal: 7:54am On Dec 03, 2016
Deliberately sent the person away
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by cricifixo: 7:56am On Dec 03, 2016
Lol, as an Igbo man I go say you no well at all
eleko1:
sad I'm 100% sure that those tenant are Fhead peep.They are aggressive,stubborn. Ur mum gave them much time to flex and play u.U shouldn't have broken the padlock(hope those Fhead nor claimed they keep 250k they want to use for rent in their room?Co's that's their trademark )Simply buy granite,sand,concrete block and drop em at their door mouth".if Dat one nor shake them,find jamiu the kafinta to remove their roof.They'll surely leave.

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Nobody: 8:05am On Dec 03, 2016
ssfWeShss:
Lol. Nawa o. On top someone's property again.
[size=28pt]i dey tell you...I just dey imagine how wicked people dey...Dem give you house leave freely for 11 months and yet you still get mind go police station.Those people when dey talk trash here and there about lawyers never for once price block.[/size]

3 Likes

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by HRich(m): 8:05am On Dec 03, 2016
dingbang:
Lol tenant wahala sha.
Is that all you have to say
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by babyfaceafrica: 8:12am On Dec 03, 2016
rashylous:
@Op..
Just drag them to mediation center. The issue will be resolve amicably. But bear it in mind that they would enjoy additional time grace.
Which could lasted 6 months

NB:- As a word of advice. Persuade ur mumsy to give the house to an estate agent to manage. She doesn't need to bother herself over something that is very easy for the professionals to handle without any hassle
a lot of fraudulent estate Agents out there...talking from experience!!...will rather let a sibling handle it..better to be swindled by a sibling that a complete stranger!!!

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by godlovesyou77: 8:13am On Dec 03, 2016
uboma:

this is why you shouldn't take laws into your hand.

Your mum shouldn't have broken into their apartment without the presence of the law enforcement agents.
Now they have a case against your mum.
My advise is, your mum should call them to resolve the issue amicably without involving the Police.

Some landladies re ignorant of the law. She has no right to break open someone's apartment without court order. Whatever the tenant claimed missing your mum must provide. That is why we ve lawyers to guide us. There are legal steps in quitting a tenant not by force
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by johnsonjosbles(m): 8:24am On Dec 03, 2016
WenysAD:
Good day and happy new month Nairalanders. Pls I want u guys to judge dis scenario and pls lawyers can PM.
My mum's tenant haven't paid their rent for 8months as at September dis year. My mum gave Dem a quit notice to vacant her house before Sept. 20th or lea a d opened the lock to check if they had packed their things only to discover they didn't pack not pay anything and left
u shldn't have mock her jobles husband, i was once in such situation, now i have 15 people on my payroll and i'v built my own house, u can as wel make ur point witout morkery, back to the point, report to police, they will contact them, if they refuse to respond, get a court warant, there is provission for where they wil keep the load in court till they wil pay the last penny

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by chiefojiji(m): 8:24am On Dec 03, 2016
blessedvisky:

I always wonder why poor people give birth to kids they know they can't raise properly. angry

Bcus say na dangote born u now, so make others no born again.

aah beg who get that meme showing a police officer running after a man with a cane?
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by glossy6(f): 8:26am On Dec 03, 2016
WenysAD:

This people don't want to pay. Even before d demise of her dey find it difficult to pay. Mum even went in the past to give dm advice on doing ajo daily in order to pay but dey didn't keep up. Imagine a woman dat the husband does nothing but stay home and impregnate d wife. The truth is them not wanting to do anything to pay their is wicked. I personal know how much I spent on dis family to help Dem especially feeding and medicals.

Lastly u are entitled to your opinion. Thanks all the same

It is sad that your mum played into their hands. Please next time, you want to break into an apartment, make an entry in the police and let some of them accompany You to the house. Meanwhile, go to the LGA & lodge your complaints there, they have a section to handle it.

Tenants can be troublesome, one of our tenants is owing us six months rent now but I've told my hubby to take it easy with him so that he will sort himself out and pay. His wife delivered through CS & it was unexpected.

Nevertheless, we have tenants owing 1 year rent and they will eventually leave without paying, especially those using the shops, one is owing 10 months now and they are from different tribes. Tenants wahala no be here and the tenancy laws gave them advantage.
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by kolaish(m): 8:27am On Dec 03, 2016
Op, the steps you would have taken is simply to contact a lawyer/an estate agent, they will obtain/serve a quit notice to the tenant through a law court, though with a grace period of three months for the tenants to quit. That's all, if he does not quit after the quit notice have lapsed, then the police will forcefully eject the tenant.

But on a lighter note, the country is hard now, as I speak to you now, three of the tenants in my houses are yet to pay for over 6 months. I am giving them up to January next year to pay after which I may take action.

Once again, you have no right whatsoever to forcefully gain entrance into a tenants house because they may claim that some of their properties were stolen during that time. For now, you are on the wrong side, so negotiate with the tenant for a peaceful resolution of the matter
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by begwong: 8:31am On Dec 03, 2016
PULL OFF THE ROOF AND CLAIM U WANT TO RENOVATE IT,OR BETTER STILL SHOOT HIM DEAD
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by lonelydora: 8:44am On Dec 03, 2016
uboma:

this is why you shouldn't take laws into your hand.

Your mum shouldn't have broken into their apartment without the presence of the law enforcement agents.
Now they have a case against your mum.
My advise is, your mum should call them to resolve the issue amicably without involving the Police.

Because they can claim things are missing.
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Adekunle555: 8:50am On Dec 03, 2016
Wow, that is a great idea.
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by teemy(m): 8:51am On Dec 03, 2016
wenysad, a yearly tenant that is owing would be given time (3-6 months) to look for another place and pay owed sum (part or all) depending on court judgement. at that early stage you didn't need a lawyer and just N800 in my place would file a case.
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by teemy(m): 8:54am On Dec 03, 2016
now that things are messy a police mediation where they write statement and agreement on when to leave as well as good behaviour during their stay could do or get a lawyer and try contacting their previous landlords to show pattern in their actions.
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by lammy197(m): 8:58am On Dec 03, 2016
permsec:
The truth is ur mum is wicked and inconsiderate... Inasmuch as u adress som1 as ur tenant doesn't make someone ur slave of some sort.... They have a burial at hand which means they'll spend money... Ur mom should show sympathy.

QED!
fool of the century

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by lammy197(m): 9:02am On Dec 03, 2016
permsec:

I have a good sense of judgement. Tenants are humans and can be funny atimes but how abt landlords that increases their house rent incessantly withouth any upgrade in the apartment?
8month aint enough grace bah
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Vaxt(m): 9:12am On Dec 03, 2016
Icecomrade:

People like you can kill for money.

You think few landlords who show understanding when a tenant is not able to meet obligations are fools

There is a place for humanity beyond getting money into your pockets.

God will punish people like you

gossip gossip read the topic properly b4 u make people laugh at u, if u don't know wat deliberately means, seek oxford dictionary

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by thecavemanesq(m): 9:29am On Dec 03, 2016
Get a good Lawyer. That is what you should do.
WenysAD:
Good day and happy new month Nairalanders. Pls I want u guys to judge dis scenario and pls lawyers can PM.
My mum's tenant haven't paid their rent for 8months as at September dis year. My mum gave Dem a quit notice to vacant her house before Sept. 20th or leave her house. Meanwhile d tenant lost her father and were planning to go for burial. They didn't pay and packed their things inside the one room apartment, locked it and travelled for d burial. They(the tenant and her jobless husband) weren't even calling mum at all ooo.
Now Mumsy came back and thought they had travelled a d opened the lock to check if they had packed their things only to discover they didn't pack not pay anything and left

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by dangotesmummy: 9:32am On Dec 03, 2016
Your mother shouldn't have broke into their apartment. Assuming she didn't break in she'll have had the upper hand.Assuming WHEN they travelled and you called them on phone threatening to get them arrested if they didn't come back by xyz date then that fear will have made them come back on time.many Nigerians are ungrateful and can push a person to the wall and even bite the fingers that fed them so you have to deal with people with caution and tact.

Some tenants are like leprous people. Wherever they touch or enter it's always drama.now you guys have made a grave mistake which they're capitalizing against you so that they won't pay.

Just take them to court. Since they have decided to go tough with you.

I hate ungrateful poor people. If you help them they'll repay you with evil if you don't help them they'll label you wicked selfish stingy and heartless
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by dangotesmummy: 9:36am On Dec 03, 2016
teemy:
now that things are messy a police mediation where they write statement and agreement on when to leave as well as good behaviour during their stay could do or get a lawyer and try contacting their previous landlords to show pattern in their actions.
I partially agree but in the few times they have living with the landlord the landlord should make the house unhabitable for them.stop pumping water if it's borehole system.lock the tap.remove the transformer etc na them go leave asap
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by ehinmowo: 9:37am On Dec 03, 2016
IpobExposed:
If I may advice. Terms and conditions are very strong. So next tenant write a terms and conditions that if he doesn't pay after --- month he's belongings will be forcedly thrown. When he agrees you have no problem..

BiafraudExposed

The law of the federation supercedes any agreement. u cnt make an agreement in contradiction to the law. It becomes inadmissible in court. Else one could make an agreement to sell his child or use him as a collateral

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by fm7070: 10:47am On Dec 03, 2016
There is a laid down procedure to eject a tenant and it does not even involve the police.
No reasonable police will follow you to break someone's house with this scenario you painted.
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Phrankin(m): 10:52am On Dec 03, 2016
Icecomrade:

Wicked landlord.

How do you want them to raise money to pay you after looking at their condition you also narrated.

Will you die if you don't get your 8month rent now?

Is your family going to survive on the rent.

What will happen to you if you show some understanding and give them more time to stablize

Raise money and pay off accrued rent.

Ops

You people are very wicked.

God will punish you people

Modified

If my opinion does not align with your inhumane thoughts, please don't quote me to write thrash.

Please use share option.

People who can't afford a bag of pure water are forming landlord and writing thrash.

Poor man with toxic mouth. very bad combo. I'll suggest you channel your anger to your never do well parents and work hard enough so at least you can get a bacha(dunno the spelling) that you can give out to people for free.

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by teemy(m): 10:52am On Dec 03, 2016
dangotesmummy:
landlord should make the house unhabitable for them.
mummy that would not be necessary unless they don't pay the bills. better the landlady plays it safe till they leave. she fell in the first trap.

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by chuka5000(m): 10:59am On Dec 03, 2016
it's simple, take them to court. ur mom will be charged for breaking and entry which is chicken change and the tenant will be made to pay their eleven months rent.

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by dangotesmummy: 11:18am On Dec 03, 2016
teemy:
mummy that would not be necessary unless they don't pay the bills. better the landlady plays it safe till they leave. she fell in the first trap.
that's true though

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Originalsly: 11:40am On Dec 03, 2016
Not paying rent... and travelled... for two months. You should've packed out their stuff... have a friend move in as the new tenant. Their stuff? ... let them know where they can go get it since it was abandoned. The mistake is to let them get back in the house. For any such tenant... arrange burglaries. .. or thugs to threaten them... a weekly beat down of the husband..... they'll move.
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by mechanics(m): 12:05pm On Dec 03, 2016
Na to give am quite notice o.
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Abdulazeez007(m): 12:19pm On Dec 03, 2016
Icecomrade:

Wicked landlord.

How do you want them to raise money to pay you after looking at their condition you also narrated.

Will you die if you don't get your 8month rent now?

Is your family going to survive on the rent.

What will happen to you if you show some understanding and give them more time to stablize

Raise money and pay off accrued rent.

Ops

You people are very wicked.

God will punish you people

Modified

If my opinion does not align with your inhumane thoughts, please don't quote me to write thrash.

Please use share option.

People who can't afford a bag of pure water are forming landlord and writing thrash.

8 months and yu cld still spew dz trash?
your worth being a NIGER citizen. do you know h9w hard she strived to build her house?
Re: When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent by Abdulazeez007(m): 12:22pm On Dec 03, 2016
hilaomo:
[size=28pt]i dey tell you...I just dey imagine how wicked people dey...Dem give you house leave freely for 11 months and yet you still get mind go police station.Those people when dey talk trash here and there about lawyers never for once price block.[/size]
its evriwia, tgere are 2 sets of tenant in my house. 1 stays in a 2br flat N d oda stays in a room self con.
unpaid nepa bills, lawma, enviromental charges and like since December last year till today.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do I Deal With My Landlord? / Owerri Project - 4 Duplex And 4 Units Of 2 Bedroom Flats / Lagos Warns Against Drilling Boreholes Without Licence, Permit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.