Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? (22247 Views)

The Law, The Husband, The Wife Or The Man, Who Is To Blame For This? (snapshots) / My Neighbour's Wife Peeps Through My Door, Should I Report To The Husband? / Could My Husband Be Having An Affair? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by topeorekoy(m): 11:22am On Nov 10, 2009
i had this discussion with a female colleague of mine and i am kind of amazed by what she said and just decided to throw it to the house.

my claim is that a man is the head of the family and shld be responsible for the upkeep of the home but its the woman's responsibility too. she said a woman is just an helper to the man in raising the kids but i totally disagreed with her because both the man and the woman brought the children into the world and shld both cater for them but the man shld cater more because he is the head of the family. she said a woman will cater for the home based on her on personal decision.

i then asked her a million $ question, what will a woman do with her earned cash? she said she'll use it to buy clothes and shoes.

also asked her that in an event that am not around and the kids need some stuffs, Her repsonse- i'll pay and collect back the cash from u.

in the olden days, men r solely responsible for the upkeep of the house but the do not see the woman as just a mate rather that a partner and a soul mate.

really, whats ur take on this?
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by jaybee3(m): 11:27am On Nov 10, 2009
This is what i simply don't get. Why do women want us to treat them like our property?
Their should be equality and understanding between couples and no set rule for who does what. If the man can afford it then let him fire on but if not the wife should help out and def not expect a refund.
money money money, what happens when we all die? the money acquired, shoes and all the worthless things that can be procured on earth def ain't going to be buried so why make it so important?

1 Like

Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by whitelexi(m): 11:33am On Nov 10, 2009
^^^Needfully so

@Poster:

Needless to say, women want equality in everything but not responsibilities, naija babes just wanna have fun grin grin grin

Needfully
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by topeorekoy(m): 11:38am On Nov 10, 2009
i just told her point blank that i cant marry some1 like her. the man shld cater for the house but a woman shld knw it is also her responsibility rather than see it as an assistance.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by galatico(m): 11:45am On Nov 10, 2009
hundred percent respobility should not be layed on the man, cuz in the event of death the woman would suffer, so it's better for the woman too to have something to do, incase the unexpected happens .
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by AYOANU: 12:51pm On Nov 10, 2009
The man should not be 100% responsible for the bills, so far the woman is also working she can equally buy somethings in the house without asking the husband.
Am married with children and i ask my husband for things that are beyond me, i am working and i use my money to pay some bills without asking my husband, well i guess that some women are too greedy because they believe that the man is the head of the house, all they know is build up money like coco house.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Pharoh: 1:03pm On Nov 10, 2009
If both of them are working then the woman should assist the husband without hoping for a refund.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 10, 2009

2 Likes

Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 10, 2009
Sorry but your friend is one of those bush girls. lipsrsealed what does she mean by refunds? HOWEVER, I don't see how you can call yourself the head when you are trying to drag who pays the bills with the wife. Sorry that's just the sacrifice you have to make. Being a man does not automatically make you the head. It's more about living up to your responsibilities. cheesy
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Pharoh: 2:51pm On Nov 10, 2009
stillwater:

Sorry but your friend is one of those bush girls. lipsrsealed what does she mean by refunds? HOWEVER, I don't see how you can call yourself the head when you are trying to drag who pays the bills with the wife. Sorry that's just the sacrifice you have to make. Being a man does not automatically make you the head. It's more about living up to your responsibilities.  cheesy

Should being the head of a family go down to that level?  grin I mean Responsibility
[size=1pt]
I thought it was a no go area for the ladies[/size]  cheesy
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Nov 10, 2009
Ofcourse not I will help out as much as possible but he knowing I work a 9-5 job shouldnt let me run around like a headless chicken and should help out with house chores and cooking.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by MissyB1(m): 3:33pm On Nov 10, 2009
T's a man's responsibilty to be the breadwinner.
A woman has her responsibilties too.
T's totally up to her to make the decision whether to assist financially or not.
The man is the HEAD . . . . .She is a Helper and ought to help VOLUNTARILY.

Such a discussion wouldn't come up if they share a Joint Account. cool
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by scottN(m): 3:36pm On Nov 10, 2009
She should just carry out a survey on how many eligible bachelors support this notion of hers.In fact any man will distance himself from such women not because he can't cater for the family at that moment but imagine what will she do about the family if the man loses his job or is no more.Actually recent statistics showed that after the recent recession more men lost their jobs than women (TIME Magazine).Your friend better wake up 2 d New World Order. Gone are the days of our forefathers and even our parents.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Secretz(f): 3:38pm On Nov 10, 2009
Missy B:

T's totally up to her to make the decision whether to assist financially or not.

grin lol
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Godmother(f): 3:39pm On Nov 10, 2009
To me its a thing of agreement. A man is supposed to be responsible for the family upkeep, but the woman can assist. There are some clear-cut roles that men and women have in a marriage, like doing the household chores and cooking which is clearly the woman's duties.

You wont catch most men going near a kitchen filled with dirty dishes even witha very pregnant wife. It has to do with understanding

1 Like

Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by jaybee3(m): 3:46pm On Nov 10, 2009
Missy B:

I def agree with the above

agreed but why is it that the man's responsibility was laid out in plain english but the woman is not identifed? If we define their responsiblities then y'all will start shouting i am not your house girl. If things are treated equally then we both then can have equal say in the relationship (IMO)T's totally up to her to make the decision whether to assist financially or not.
I disagree because as long as shez willing to fight the equal right stance then she should be ready to contribute as much accordingly towards the relationship

Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by scottN(m): 3:58pm On Nov 10, 2009
Missy B:

If u like choose not to assist financially or otherwise, only u will bear the consequences when the chips are down lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by MissyB1(m): 4:10pm On Nov 10, 2009
J.B - The basic thing is; both parties have to identify their responsibilities.
When one begins to shy away from his/her duties,
Disrespect and trouble set in.
When a man know when to bring out money and the woman knows
how to treat him right, there wouldn't be any problem as long as
no one is being taken advantage of.

scottN:

If u like choose not to assist financially or otherwise, only u will bear the consequences when the chips are down  lipsrsealed
Mr, let me worry about that. . . .after all I haven't said I'D assist or not.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by scottN(m): 4:13pm On Nov 10, 2009
Missy B:

Well Madam, the earlier u take a stand on/realize it, the better for you.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 10, 2009
*observing*

Wont want anybody calling me a gold-digger   wink
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by MissyB1(m): 4:21pm On Nov 10, 2009
scottN:

Well Madam, the earlier u take a stand on/realize it, the better for you.

Missy B:

Saying - Deciding . . . . .2 different actions.
I haven't said doesn't mean I haven't decided. undecided
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by martin1(m): 4:24pm On Nov 10, 2009
it doesn't matter "who." . .if u have"spend."
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Epiphany(m): 4:25pm On Nov 10, 2009
These days, it is becoming increasingly difficult (in most parts of the world) for a man to foot all the bills of a home alone. That is why women are increasingly being encouraged to work or do something that brings in some form of income - No matter how little. This in all ways augments the earning power of the home.

Una wan kill the man? He will pay all utility bills, fees for kids, vacations, maintain the cars etc. Yes, it is possible for the man to do all these. IF HE IS MEGA RICH. However, if he is a salary earner like millions there is no way he can foot all the bills

2 Likes

Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by r231(m): 4:35pm On Nov 10, 2009
Ujujoan:

*observing*

hmmmmmm grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by iice(f): 5:37pm On Nov 10, 2009
No he must not be 100% responsible. It's both their duty. Whoever has more capacity and capability to take more, should take more regardless of gender.

Shopping for clothes and stuff? Are you kidding me? What about the kids? Or saving up for a rainy day? Like surprise him with something nice and thoughtful? undecided

This is where the whole 'women empowerment' thing cracks. You want to be taken seriously as an independent person but yet want no responsibility for that independence angry

2 Likes

Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by DrLorenz1(m): 6:32pm On Nov 10, 2009
@OP

U did well to have told her what you think about her.

Ebonyeyes:

Ofcourse not I will help out as much as possible but he knowing I work a 9-5 job shouldnt let me run around like a headless chicken and should help out with house chores and cooking.

Hmmnn i go fit marry you so sugarpops? wink grin

Godmother:

To me its a thing of agreement.

Agreement is agreementi o. . .agreement is agreementi o

You wont catch most men going near a kitchen filled with dirty dishes even witha very pregnant wife. It has to do with understanding.

I'm not among those men o grin

Ujujoan:

*observing*

Now i aint saying you a gold digger/but you aint messing with no broke bro

grin grin

iice:

No he must not be 100% responsible. It's both their duty. Whoever has more capacity and capability to take more, should take more regardless of gender.

Shopping for clothes and stuff? Are you kidding me? What about the kids? Or saving up for a rainy day? Like surprise him with something nice and thoughtful? undecided

This is where the whole 'women empowerment' thing cracks. You want to be taken seriously as an independent person but yet want no responsibility for that independence angry

^^^
I second that angry face grin grin

iice:

Wow! Didn't know you could be this romantic. I'm shocked
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by yeswecan(m): 8:00pm On Nov 10, 2009
yes
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by REALTRUTH1: 11:50pm On Nov 10, 2009
I can't and I would never marry a woman who does not have a earning capacity to contribute to the home.Likewise, I will never advice any man to do so.
The ony condition U should marry a woman who does not have earning capacity is when U as a man have all the money in the world.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Fhemmmy: 12:03am On Nov 11, 2009
If the man can afford it, then, there is nothing wrong with the man taking care of all the bills, however, if they both works, and both make money, there is nothing wrong in both taking care of the bills, better for the man to take care of the big bills, like the mortgage, and the bigger ones and the woman take care of small bills like the telephone bills.
However, the money belongs to the family.
I will suggest the man just leave the money in the account where the wife can access it and take care of the bills with, except if the woman is not prudent enuf and he is a waster.
But i will advice the man to make sure he has some money somewhere just for the raining season.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Ijam03(m): 12:16am On Nov 11, 2009
As long as the man's the head of the family, he shld by all means see 2 the needs of the family nt minding if the wife earns a fortune. Any man who shares payment of bills with his wife is nt worthy of manhood. The wife isnt obligated to pay 4 anytin as lng as the man live. She cn only help.

1 Like

Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by bawomolo(m): 12:23am On Nov 11, 2009
why is she spending her money on shoes and clothes.

has she heard of savings? what happens if your husband loses his job or dies?
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by lorebobo(f): 12:33am On Nov 11, 2009
no. a man should not be 100% responsible for the family bills. the woman should help out. as the woman is helping the man with his responsibilities, the man should help the woman too in her responsibilities. scratch my back, i scratch your back. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Why Do Men Think Women's Lives Cannot Go On Without Marriage? / Advice Needed: On The Verge Of Hitting My Mum / 12 Contrasting attitudes Many Nigerian Men Exhibit In Marriage.Right or Wrong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.