Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,460 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity (31867 Views)

Lockdown: Lagos Government Donates Food Items To Residents / Mother Reveals How A Health Tip She Learnt On Twitter Saved Her Daughter’s Life / Doctor Uses Slippers As A Neck Collar To Save Accident Victim(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 03, 2016
Just30:
it cost between 10000-20000 cedis in Ghana
and u had to quote the whole post
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by obinoral1179(m): 9:53pm On Dec 03, 2016
Just30:
who ask you?

2 Likes

Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by claremont(m): 9:54pm On Dec 03, 2016
Onegai:
This is a beautiful way to turn your pain into joy for others. God bless this little angel who went back to Heaven.

I'm trying to understand your thought process. Do you mean it's a blessing to the mother that the child died?!
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by Just30: 10:05pm On Dec 03, 2016
obinoral1179:
who ask you?
and was I even talking to you
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by adisaigbo1(m): 10:14pm On Dec 03, 2016
May Almighty Allah grant the parents the strength to bear this loss....
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by excel101(m): 10:19pm On Dec 03, 2016
Very pathetic, though Michelle is gone but the good foundation keeps her alive. May God bless her thoughtful parents. Michelle gave her life just to save many others
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by steppin: 10:27pm On Dec 03, 2016
discman2k2:

C'mon shut ur dirty mouth up!!! If it were a title on "tits or Cossy or nude " then ull b excited & contribute ur nonsensical nonsense.
Overbloated animal.
Gerarahiaaaaa men!
Smoking weed and taking tramadol is not good for your system.
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by Ikville(m): 11:19pm On Dec 03, 2016
ObiOmaMu:
After several months of sourcing for funds for the survival of their child, the Sam family has lost 13month-old Michelle Sam to Symptomatic Heart Disease...

During elections, banks & politicians can donate hundreds of millions of Naira to ALL d candidates without being solicited, but not a dime to save a life.
Our hearts & prayers wit d family
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by DedeNkem: 11:36pm On Dec 03, 2016
This is why I keep saying that Nigerian "doctors" are useless. In the West, this baby's heart problem would have been detected and fixed even before she was born or taken into intensive care to fix the heart issue immediately after she was born!

I'm not even sure if Nigerian "doctors" can fix any heart disease at all that requires an operation. In fact, they hardly conduct correct diagnosis of illness! Most Nigerian "doctors" don't know what's wrong with their patients! So most times they end up making guesses of patient's illness and administer treatment meant for a totally different illness their patient wasn't suffering!

A friend of mine (an European based Nigerian) who visited home, nearly died in Nigerian because his illness was misdiagnosed at three hospitals that gave him three difference results and none of them stated correctly his illness! When he returned to Europe and visited a doctor, it didn't take the doctor 2 minutes to reveal what the guy was actually suffering from! And he became well within three days of treatment!

I weep for Nigeria. Nigerian doctors' incompetence have killed many Nigerians. Nigerian hospitals are like death chambers. Patients who have mild and treatable illnesses die steadily in the hospitals!

Shame on Nigerian Universities that churn out either half-baked "graduates" or outright illiterate "graduates! Shame on Nigeria for having the worst Healthcare system in the world!

The Sam family is great for donating the money for another patient suffering from Heart surgery. Bravo to them! I'm so sorry for their loss.

2 Likes

Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by AreaFada2: 12:22am On Dec 04, 2016
Logician:
Wow. Michelle is forever immortalized. The sacrifice will not go unrewarded

Sadly foundations do not last in Nigeria.

People soon forget. Maybe because lots of lives are lost too often.

But great to see her parents touch others' lives with donations meant for Michelle.

RIP little angel.
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by AreaFada2: 1:13am On Dec 04, 2016
DedeNkem:
This is why I keep saying that Nigerian "doctors" are useless. In the West, this baby's heart problem would have been detected and fixed even before she was born or taken into intensive care to fix the heart issue immediately after she was born!

I'm not even sure if Nigerian "doctors" can fix any heart disease at all that requires an operation. In fact, they hardly conduct correct diagnosis of illness! Most Nigerian "doctors" don't know what's wrong with their patients! So most times they end up making guesses of patient's illness and administer treatment meant for a totally different illness their patient wasn't suffering!

A friend of mine (an European based Nigerian) who visited home, nearly died in Nigerian because his illness was misdiagnosed at three hospitals that gave him three difference results and none of them stated correctly his illness! When he returned to Europe and visited a doctor, it didn't take the doctor 2 minutes to reveal what the guy was actually suffering from! And he became well within three days of treatment!

I weep for Nigeria. Nigerian doctors' incompetence have killed many Nigerians. Nigerian hospitals are like death chambers. Patients who have mild and treatable illnesses die steadily in the hospitals!

Shame on Nigerian Universities that churning out either half-baked "graduate" or outright illiterate "graduates! Shame on Nigeria for having the worst Healthcare system in the world!

The Sam family is great for donating the money for another patient suffering from Heart surgery. Bravo to them! I'm so sorry for their loss.
Well, we do not want to be unfair to 9ja doctors in general. Our doctors are actually quite creative, innovative & ingenious & work in rather crude conditions many have to work in. How much does Nigerian government at all levels spend on healthcare?

Holland of about 17 million Dutch people spends around 53 billion Euros on healthcare & Nigeria only 257 billion Naira (177.8 million Euros?) for 180 million Nigerian people for 2016. The difference is staggering. Using 1 Euro = 450 Naira rate. grin

Ordinarily, congenital heart conditions/diseases (CHD) should be picked up latest during the 18 to 21st week antenatal screening tests.

But do our hospitals have the latest Ultrasound scanners & other facilities? Is it free for all pregnant women? Are the healthcare professionals well trained to do the screening & interpret correctly?

Consider those factors first.

3 Likes

Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by johnsonjosbles(m): 1:17am On Dec 04, 2016
Just30:
u be confirm weyrey! why quoting all the post?
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by veron007: 1:38am On Dec 04, 2016
DedeNkem:

Shame on Nigerian Universities that churning out either half-baked "graduate" or outright illiterate "graduates! Shame on Nigeria for having the worst Healthcare system in the world!

I totally agree with you. Imagine a Nigeria doctor removed a patient's two kidneys thinking they are tumors. It's incomprehensible! And he still has his license to continue practicing.
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by clintz(m): 5:59am On Dec 04, 2016
ObiOmaMu:
After several months of sourcing for funds for the survival of their child, the Sam family has lost 13month-old Michelle Sam to Symptomatic Heart Disease.

Michelle was suffering from several heart conditions that lay undetected until she fell sick and was diagnosed of Symptomatic Heart Disease last April.

Later on, the family cried out for help of N6m from the general public for a heart surgery in India. Luckily for them, they met the target and preparation started for the family to fly out the little girl out
of the country to begin her treatment.

However, the family was told the chances of Michelle surviving the surgery is very slim.
This prompted the father to channel his search to several American hospitals.

But unfortunately, the surgery could cost them from 30 to 40million Naira as against the initial cost of 6million in India.

In preparation for the America surgery, the family have to travel to Ghana to rerun some test before setting off to America for her treatment.

The consultants however, cut short their plans when, they were told, the hospital waiting list is too long for her to have the procedure in time, so her parents put all their efforts into raising money for a private operation to save their daughter’s life at the National Hospital in Abuja.

The mother said she knows other patients have been waiting a year for treatment, but Michelle can’t wait that long.

Mrs Sam said her baby was always in and out of hospital and was prone to a lot of infections.

She also disclosed that the pressure was already tough on the family, who desperately did not want to lose their daughter.

She said:
‘I have collapsed two times in hospital because of the stress, and have had to have counselling to help me deal with things. My husband had to be strong for the family and continue working as I’ve been off work for the last couple of months, looking after Michelle.
‘All I wanted was to help my baby, more than anything else in this world.’
Fast forward to November 15, the surgery was successfully carried out in Hospital for Humanity in Abuja by league of American doctors who were concerned about Michelle health and flew down to Nigeria for the surgery.

The joy of seeing their child recuperating was cut short on November 28, when 13 months old Michelle couldn’t bear the pain any longer and succumbed to death.

However, the left over proceeds from the donations from well meaning Nigerians has been used to set up a foundation in the name of Michelle Sam to help others going through the same predicament overcome it at early stage.

The family had also donated massively for another patient suffering from Heart surgery in Abuja few days after losing their own daughter.

Symptomatic Heart Disease is a birth defect of the heart in which there are holes between chambers of the heart, and the valves that control the flow of blood between these chambers may not be formed correctly.

This means that blood flows where it normally should not be able to, and extra blood flows to the lungs.

May God rest Michelle’s soul.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/12/baby-michelle-sam-dies-family-donates-funds-charity.html

My heart goes to the family for their loss, and I pray God crow their effort with Glory.
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by Nairasurplus(m): 7:09am On Dec 04, 2016
Take heart dear,
Another child is coming.
God is,there for you.
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by Nobody: 7:22am On Dec 04, 2016
What a blessed family
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by DedeNkem: 7:29am On Dec 04, 2016
veron007:

I totally agree with you. Imagine a Nigeria doctor removed a patient's two kidneys thinking they are tumors. It's incomprehensible! And he still has his license to continue practicing.

I read about that story. It's very troubling that a so-called "doctor" could do that and still be allowed to see patients instead of sending him to jail!
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by DedeNkem: 8:04am On Dec 04, 2016
AreaFada2:

Well, we do not want to be unfair to 9ja doctors in general. Our doctors are actually quite creative, innovative & ingenious & work in rather crude conditions many have to work in. How much does Nigerian government at all levels spend on healthcare?
- Being creative, innovative & ingenious is totally useless if progress is not the result! Not all Nigerian doctors are incompetent (especially those who studied and practiced in Western countries) but most of those who studied in Nigeria are quacks! They've no clue what they're doing!

Holland of about 17 million Dutch people spends around 53 billion Euros on healthcare & Nigeria only 257 billion Naira (177.8 million Euros?) for 180 million Nigerian people for 2016. The difference is staggering. Using 1 Euro = 450 Naira rate. grin
- If they had actually spent the whole ₦257 billion on healthcare, you would see some of its impact. Unfortunately, they loot most of the money!

Ordinarily, congenital heart conditions/diseases (CHD) should be picked up latest during the 18 to 21st week antenatal screening tests.

But do our hospitals have the latest Ultrasound scanners & other facilities? Is it free for all pregnant women? Are the healthcare professionals well trained to do the screening & interpret correctly?
Consider those factors first.
- Endemic corruption is the main problem Nigeria has. Nigeria can afford to create the same or better healthcare like in the Western countries but corruption is the obstacle! Our politicians are all thieves!
On the other hand, nothing stops doctors who manage our hospitals from using the exorbitant amount they extort from patients, to equip their hospitals, but instead they also loot the money!

Corruption and incompetence of both politicians and doctors have killed many Nigerians!
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by sharpchap: 8:08am On Dec 04, 2016
OP congenital heart disease not symptomatic heart disease
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by AreaFada2: 9:01am On Dec 04, 2016
DedeNkem:

- Being creative, innovative & ingenious is totally useless if progress is not the result! Not all Nigerian doctors are incompetent (especially those who studied and practiced in Western countries) but most of those who studied in Nigeria are quacks! They've no clue what they're doing!

- If they had actually spent the whole ₦257 billion on healthcare, you would see some of its impact. Unfortunately, they loot most of the money!

- Endemic corruption is the main problem Nigeria has. Nigeria can afford to create the same or better healthcare like in the Western countries but corruption is the obstacle! Our politicians are all thieves!
On the other hand, nothing stops doctors who manage our hospitals from using the exorbitant amount they extort from patients, to equip their hospitals, but instead they also loot the money!

Corruption and incompetence of both politicians and doctors have killed many Nigerians!

At the end we largely agree on many things: you cannot give what you do not have.
By international standards, N257 billion is absolute peanuts still. Amounts to just N1427.78 per Nigeria citizen per year! About $3.50 or well under £3. grin cheesy

An elderly relative of mine spends at least N250k annually on just monthly check up and routine tests and general well-being. Private sector healthcare of course. No major chronic illness and remarkably fit after 8 decades of sticking around. Our elite spend far far more, even going overseas.
Even if fully implemented, it still is very poor.

Let me tell you, Nigeria lacks almost entirely the crucial primary care system of community General Practitioners or Family Doctors.
It is the bedrock of any serious National Healthcare system.
I see medics trained in 9ja doing marvellously in some of the most prestigious hospitals in the West. firsthand. Because they have the right atmosphere to excel.

We're a poor country. That is the truth. But Nigerians fail to realise this. We are too proud that we cannot see that even 5m b/d oil output is very little. Let alone our current 1.5 to 2.5 b/d output. Only a seriously booming private sector can make 9ja great. Including healthcare. But we lack an enabling environment.

What we have is potential and a large pool of human resource & a large internal market. And it has remained just that. Potential.

Even without corruption, the rot might be less but still not going to be great.

The City of London of 9 million people has a budget of £11.922bn. Roughly same as Sweden of 9.7 million people. Nearly same as Nigeria's national budget.
A country financing recurrent expenditure using 70% of national budget is a sorry country.sad sad
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by DedeNkem: 12:59pm On Dec 04, 2016
AreaFada2:

At the end we largely agree on many things: you cannot give what you do not have.
By international standards, N257 billion is absolute peanuts still. Amounts to just N1427.78 per Nigeria citizen per year! About $3.50 or well under £3. grin cheesy

An elderly relative of mine spends at least N250k annually on just monthly check up and routine tests and general well-being. Private sector healthcare of course. No major chronic illness and remarkably fit after 8 decades of sticking around. Our elite spend far far more, even going overseas.
Even if fully implemented, it still is very poor.

Let me tell you, Nigeria lacks almost entirely the crucial primary care system of community General Practitioners or Family Doctors.
It is the bedrock of any serious National Healthcare system.
I see medics trained in 9ja doing marvellously in some of the most prestigious hospitals in the West. firsthand. Because they have the right atmosphere to excel.

We're a poor country. That is the truth. But Nigerians fail to realise this. We are too proud that we cannot see that even 5m b/d oil output is very little. Let alone our current 1.5 to 2.5 b/d output. Only a seriously booming private sector can make 9ja great. Including healthcare. But we lack an enabling environment.

What we have is potential and a large pool of human resource & a large internal market. And it has remained just that. Potential.

Even without corruption, the rot might be less but still not going to be great.

The City of London of 9 million people has a budget of £11.922bn. Roughly same as Sweden of 9.7 million people. Nearly same as Nigeria's national budget.
A country financing recurrent expenditure using 70% of national budget is a sorry country.sad sad

I didn't say the ₦257 billion was enough. I said even if that amount is fully spent on health sector, we'll see the impact even if it's minimal. That money can fully equip many hospitals in the country, at least. But that's not the case due to massive corruption in every sector.

Nothing destroys a nation than corruption in extremely high proportion! Nigeria is a good example of that. If the oil money had been invested appropriately, Nigeria won't be in this terrible situation.

And a country that has only one major source of revenue is doomed. During the British colonial rule, Nigeria had many sources of revenue but today everyone is focused on oil that won't last forever.

Education is the foundation of great countries. The time when graduates were respected had gone. What we have today are mostly illiterate "graduates" due to the huge rot in our moribund educational system. You can't compare graduates from the 80s and earlier with what we have today.

We have serious problems in Nigeria. And until Nigerians wake up from their long slumber to kick out corrupt politicians and stamp out corruption, things will surely get worse!
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by discman2k2(m): 1:24pm On Dec 04, 2016
steppin:
Smoking weed and taking tramadol is not good for your system.
Ta!!! Keep ur dirtt mouth shut & "step " outta dis topic!!! Ur hv exceeded ur welcome on this topic, u hear!!!!!
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by Rhayour: 1:33pm On Dec 04, 2016
ObiOmaMu:
After several months of sourcing for funds for the survival of their child, the Sam family has lost 13month-old Michelle Sam to Symptomatic Heart Disease.

Michelle was suffering from several heart conditions that lay undetected until she fell sick and was diagnosed of Symptomatic Heart Disease last April.

Later on, the family cried out for help of N6m from the general public for a heart surgery in India. Luckily for them, they met the target and preparation started for the family to fly out the little girl out
of the country to begin her treatment.

However, the family was told the chances of Michelle surviving the surgery is very slim.
This prompted the father to channel his search to several American hospitals.

But unfortunately, the surgery could cost them from 30 to 40million Naira as against the initial cost of 6million in India.

In preparation for the America surgery, the family have to travel to Ghana to rerun some test before setting off to America for her treatment.

The consultants however, cut short their plans when, they were told, the hospital waiting list is too long for her to have the procedure in time, so her parents put all their efforts into raising money for a private operation to save their daughter’s life at the National Hospital in Abuja.

The mother said she knows other patients have been waiting a year for treatment, but Michelle can’t wait that long.

Mrs Sam said her baby was always in and out of hospital and was prone to a lot of infections.

She also disclosed that the pressure was already tough on the family, who desperately did not want to lose their daughter.

She said:
‘I have collapsed two times in hospital because of the stress, and have had to have counselling to help me deal with things. My husband had to be strong for the family and continue working as I’ve been off work for the last couple of months, looking after Michelle.
‘All I wanted was to help my baby, more than anything else in this world.’
Fast forward to November 15, the surgery was successfully carried out in Hospital for Humanity in Abuja by league of American doctors who were concerned about Michelle health and flew down to Nigeria for the surgery.

The joy of seeing their child recuperating was cut short on November 28, when 13 months old Michelle couldn’t bear the pain any longer and succumbed to death.

However, the left over proceeds from the donations from well meaning Nigerians has been used to set up a foundation in the name of Michelle Sam to help others going through the same predicament overcome it at early stage.

The family had also donated massively for another patient suffering from Heart surgery in Abuja few days after losing their own daughter.

Symptomatic Heart Disease is a birth defect of the heart in which there are holes between chambers of the heart, and the valves that control the flow of blood between these chambers may not be formed correctly.

This means that blood flows where it normally should not be able to, and extra blood flows to the lungs.

May God rest Michelle’s soul.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/12/baby-michelle-sam-dies-family-donates-funds-charity.html

May his soul RIP
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by Lalaonpoint(f): 1:58pm On Dec 04, 2016
May God console the family
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by Nobody: 2:19pm On Dec 04, 2016
cocoberry:
shocked
long twitter i.d.

How u take cram am for head? angry

#YOLO
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by scobaba: 2:51pm On Dec 04, 2016
Many more beautiful and healthy children shall come their way.
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by cocoberry(f): 4:42pm On Dec 04, 2016
See me see wahala! How dat one take concern u now?

richommie:
long twitter i.d.

How u take cram am for head? angry

#YOLO
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 04, 2016
cocoberry:
See me see wahala! How dat one take concern u now?

Haba na..some one can not play with you?

Anyway howdy grin

#YOLO
Re: Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity by sosexy4u(f): 5:41pm On Dec 04, 2016
may the lord console them

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance / Nigerians, Prepare For More Hot Days & Warm Nights - NIMET Warns, Lists Way Out / Craziest Thing That Happened To You Or You Have Witnessed In A Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.