Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,257 members, 7,818,880 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund (4711 Views)

PDP Governors Prostrate For Obasanjo Over Jonathan / NLC Boss Slams Buhari, Obasanjo Over Muslim-muslim Ticket Row / Senate Cedes 20% Ecological Fund to Secure Nigeria’s Borders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by selingel: 6:58am On Nov 11, 2009
F[b]G indicts Obasanjo over N200bn ecological fund
• Delists 2 banks
From LUCKY NWANKWERE, Abuja
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
[/b]

The National Economic Council rose from a prolonged meeting in Abuja last night expressing dismay with the management of the ecological fund under former President Olusegun Obasanjo, pointing out that under the immediate past administration, about N200 billion of the fund was outrightly squandered.

The council headed by Vice President Goodluck Jonathan with the 36 state governors constituting its membership among others, said the amount was wasted on projects that were either non-existent, shoddily executed or were awarded without due process.

Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State who briefed State House correspondents on the outcome of the meeting in this regard said the council decided that due process must apply in the award of contracts from ecological funds and that the states where such projects are located adequately consulted henceforth.
The council, which according to him, was told that only N51.9 billion was left in the kitty of the ecological fund frowned at the past practice of awarding contracts for the execution of projects in the states without the involvement or input of state governments who invariably would take control of such projects.
The NEC directed that the Federal Ministry of Environment should continue to manage the ecological funds on behalf of the Federal Government but with adequate consultation and input of the state governments on the projects to be executed in their states.

The council equally dissatisfied by the deliberate refusal of two banks to disburse the N200 billion approved for farmers across the country as loans, approved the withdrawal of monies lodged with the banks and delisted them from the deal.
The governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mallam Sanusi Lamido and the Katsina State Governor, Alhaji, Ibrahim Shema said in their place, five other banks were approved to take over the disbursement of the funds immediately.

“Concerning the agric loan, government is not satisfied with the attitude of the two banks earlier appointed to disburse the funds to farmers and have consequently withdrawn the money from the banks. Five other banks have been appointed to take over the disbursement of the money. The banks include GTB, Finbank, Zenith and Union banks.
The council also adopted the blueprint for community sport centres in all the 774 local council areas of the country to provide facilities for local training and development of talents, adding that the centres, when completed, would serve as academy for breeding new sportsmen and women and personnel for the country.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2009/nov/11/national-11-11-2009-009.htm
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by selingel: 6:59am On Nov 11, 2009
Then go ahead and arrest OBJ if he has been indicted in the fraud. Stop telling us, and do the right thing.
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by selingel: 7:23am On Nov 11, 2009
Yet the man is resuming daily at his Ota farm. Can't anybody do something? Was this crime not committed under the same Ribadu's EFFC-led administration?. God is exposing the idiot on daily basis.
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by Enjoyment1(f): 8:15am On Nov 11, 2009
selingel:

Yet the man is resuming daily at his Ota farm. Can't anybody do something? Was this crime not committed under the same Ribadu's EFFC-led administration?. God is exposing the idiot on daily basis.

I have always known Ribadu to be a typical Nigerian Police man. Tell the maggot to keep quiet. He is shamefully disgraced daily by unfolding events, yet he has the guts to go to BBC to talk. I am ashamed of this fool!.
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by jamace(m): 8:52am On Nov 11, 2009
Is he likely to join his "godson" in the gulag? cheesy
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by FrankC3: 10:04am On Nov 11, 2009
These guys should just shut up and do their job.

OBJ is definitely out of favour with the powers that be. Loosening his grip on the party through BOT chairman is strategic to Yar'dua's political interest. If OBJ stole the money as they claim, then indicting him and further weakening him is politically strategic. But why are they not doing that which happens to be both politically and morally expedient? Is somebody afraid that the real looters may be exposed and possibly vindicate OBJ if exposed. Bode George stole money while in NPA and i think that jailing him is not strategically good for the powers that be because it would have sounded better to say that 89Billion was missing in NPA during OBJ administration.

Lets wake up and forget all these sensationalistic of news. OBJ may be corrupt but his lieutenants may steal money without his telling them to do so. My take is that the guys that stole power project money(which is definitely not OBJ) and other funds be jailed and OBJ should be jailed for his own fraud. I think this was what Ribadu called an attempt to confuse corruption and anti corruption fight such that the the line between them will thin out and the corruption party resume.

Once again, mixing OBJ up with every corruption that went on in his time is equivalent to mixing a school principal up with a teacher that collect illegal money from students thereby shielding the defaulting teacher and indicting the principal's integrity. Lets wake up!!
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by chidichris(m): 10:24am On Nov 11, 2009
These guys should just shut up and do their job.

OBJ is definitely out of favour with the powers that be. Loosening his grip on the party through BOT chairman is strategic to Yar'dua's political interest. If OBJ stole the money as they claim, then indicting him and further weakening him is politically strategic. But why are they not doing that which happens to be both politically and morally expedient? Is somebody afraid that the real looters may be exposed and possibly vindicate OBJ if exposed. Bode George stole money while in NPA and i think that jailing him is not strategically good for the powers that be because it would have sounded better to say that 89Billion was missing in NPA during OBJ administration.

Lets wake up and forget all these sensationalistic of news. OBJ may be corrupt but his lieutenants may steal money without his telling them to do so. My take is that the guys that stole power project money(which is definitely not OBJ) and other funds be jailed and OBJ should be jailed for his own fraud. I think this was what Ribadu called an attempt to confuse corruption and anti corruption fight such that the the line between them will thin out and the corruption party resume.

Once again, mixing OBJ up with every corruption that went on in his time is equivalent to mixing a school principal up with a teacher that collect illegal money from students thereby shielding the defaulting teacher and indicting the principal's integrity. Lets wake up!!

@Frank-c,
you sound like one of our nigerian professors, are u one?
the ecological funds were managed by either obj or whosoever he appointed to do so and i stand to be corrected here.
all these contracts were awarded and paid for under obj and ribadu and what did ribadu tell us about all the paid contracts till now?
tell me, among all the federal govt contractors under obj, who is facing any fraud cases till date? if no one is facing any criminal case, is it not as good as saying there was no contracts and if there were no contracts, what happened to all the funds? is it wrong for a leader to account for his stay in office? is accountability not part of democracy.
your obj is not a criminal but he must tell nigerians who the criminals are. do u think the nigerian problems lies with govs who ribadu tells us on news day in day out?
power supply, security, infrastructures, the police, oil etc are all under the fg and if funds were released for their betterments, my question to you here is, did you see improvements on all these? if yes name them and if no who is holding the funds dues for those things?
by the way, how rich was obj before 1999 and how rich is he today? what sudden sources of income did he get after becoming the president?
until someone somewhere in london begin to open his mouth, nigerians will not know the evils of obj.
the man who runned nigeria like his personal business for eight years has a lot of information to give on every cent that nigeria is looking for but yar adua for all we know is weak man and has refused to be man enough to bite that evil fingers that fed and is still feeding him.
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by Ibime(m): 11:22am On Nov 11, 2009
There is an irony in Goodluck Jonathan accusing OBJ of corruption. Goodluck better pray that the spotlight is not turned on him. We remember EFCC going after his wife for money he stashed with her.
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by Nobody: 11:30am On Nov 11, 2009
I will give them a clue on the whereabout of Enugu ecological fund.
While Chimaroke was on a planned leave in USA, his SSG siphoned the entire 2 billion Naira into an unknown account. Chimaroke came back and fired him. . . . and that was the end of the case. shocked
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by MrCrackles(m): 11:32am On Nov 11, 2009
Why OBJ is not rotting away in jail by now, has left me baffled. . . .  angry
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by ud4u: 11:57am On Nov 11, 2009
This implies that the past contracts will not be investigated but they want to apply due process in the award of new contracts.

Because if they should investigate this, many people bom bom go open.
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by victorurc: 11:59am On Nov 11, 2009
The man is untouchable, believe it or not!!. he is the greatest nigerian president both in good and bad aspects, thats why poeple can't help but love him and at the same time envy him cause he holds the record which no body can break for now, ALL HAIL BALOGU OF OWU!!!  grin grin grin
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by stede(m): 12:57pm On Nov 11, 2009
we ar all corrupt in 9ija
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by chidichris(m): 1:00pm On Nov 11, 2009
There is an irony in Goodluck Jonathan accusing OBJ of corruption. Goodluck better pray that the spotlight is not turned on him. We remember EFCC going after his wife for money he stashed with her.

@ibime,
u are a funny man. who among us here does not know the history of goodluck jonathan. is he not the same man obj/ribadu used against his boss? was it not jonthan obj used to replace alams in bayelsa and to further showcase his goodness made him a non negotiable vice president.
who will come back to tell us that a crowned saint is now dirty?
what is the irony in a vice president telling nigerians that a former president is corrupt?
what other names or what is the most polite way to address a man who fraudulently gave out contracts and paid for them without monitoring caring till date about the state of the so-called contracts?
i think the most polite name will be corrupt bcs other can call him a criminal and that is what he is. we will wait till ur so-called spotlight turn on him.
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by oge4real(f): 1:02pm On Nov 11, 2009
Let me see who will have the guts to touch OBJ. they better overlook him and punish the smaller fishes.
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by MrCrackles(m): 1:06pm On Nov 11, 2009
oge4real:

Let me see who will have the guts to touch OBJ. they better overlook him and punish the smaller fishes.
So you think OBJ should be overlooked because he is a "big fish" shocked
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by redsun(m): 1:13pm On Nov 11, 2009
They can run but they can't hide,for nigerian pandemic to subside,the debtors must pay their debts.It's just a matter of time

Of course obasanjo in his mind won't think he is going to get away with his atrocities,if he dies today,his offspring will pay for it,same as people like babagida.
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by kokoA(m): 1:22pm On Nov 11, 2009
stede:

we ar all corrupt in 9ija

Speak for yourself only ok?
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by Nobody: 1:24pm On Nov 11, 2009
Pssst. . . . .small talk.

This will fizzle away just like other allegations levied against OBJ and his chums.

These guys are all mouth and nothing else. What a bunch of lilly-livered goons.
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by FrankC3: 1:28pm On Nov 11, 2009
I guess i will only be massaging my emotions if i swallow this bullshit! OBJ is a man many love to hate, i love to hate him too but that is just emotions. The fact of the matter is that under OBJ, many things went wrong as many more are presently going wrong under Yar'dua. That does not mean that he did those things. The problem is that these guys just want to break down OBJ's power but they are really protected the really corrupt ones. We need to know who really embezzled these monies, how did they do it, i mean facts as we saw in Bode George's case. Don't come here and tell me that OBJ is a thief without telling me what he did. This is a givernment stuff not some home business. If you embezzled money, then the tracking will indicate that it got blackholed in your pocket. That is scientific. But the problem is that the real thieves(that does not mean that OBJ may not be one of them) are the ones making these accusation to cover their own tracks because OBJ does not really care to reply.

We know that Ibori, Nnamani, Orji Kalu and co are safe in the cozy hands of this same administration and they are opening their mouth to say OBJ stole it. Was OBJ the minister of environment? When Grange stole money, can any sensible individual accuse Yar'dua of the crime? For God's sake these guys are adult and my father can not stand trial for a crime that i commit though i did that while in his house cos i am more that 18.

Lets use our brain. They are confusing corruption and anti-corruption and that is giving Ribadu some credibility because he prophesied that!!
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by back2back(f): 1:56pm On Nov 11, 2009
Well done, another Kudos to OBJ:

1. Power Project: $16billion

2. Eco-Fund: N200billion

Yet, Abacha stole ONLY $3bill in total!
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by calyx: 2:06pm On Nov 11, 2009
, and the looting continues
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by snowdrops(m): 2:18pm On Nov 11, 2009
Can someone put a figure on how much is looted in Nigeria every second?
I am sure by the time i finish typing my short post at least 1 million naira is gone from the tresury [and thats 30 seconds!!]
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by agitator: 2:20pm On Nov 11, 2009
Frank-C:

I guess i will only be massaging my emotions if i swallow this bullshit! OBJ is a man many love to hate, i love to hate him too but that is just emotions. The fact of the matter is that under OBJ, many things went wrong as many more are presently going wrong under Yar'dua. That does not mean that he did those things. The problem is that these guys just want to break down OBJ's power but they are really protected the really corrupt ones. We need to know who really embezzled these monies, how did they do it, i mean facts as we saw in Bode George's case. Don't come here and tell me that OBJ is a thief without telling me what he did. This is a givernment stuff not some home business. If you embezzled money, then the tracking will indicate that it got blackholed in your pocket. That is scientific. But the problem is that the real thieves(that does not mean that OBJ may not be one of them) are the ones making these accusation to cover their own tracks because OBJ does not really care to reply.

We know that Ibori, Nnamani, Orji Kalu and co are safe in the cozy hands of this same administration and they are opening their mouth to say OBJ stole it. Was OBJ the minister of environment? When Grange stole money, can any sensible individual accuse Yar'dua of the crime? For God's sake these guys are adult and my father can not stand trial for a crime that i commit though i did that while in his house cos i am more that 18.

Lets use our brain. They are confusing corruption and anti-corruption and that is giving Ribadu some credibility because he prophesied that!!

Are you Frank the former minister of info?

you are trying to play with the name of God.  What has comparison of you commiting crime while you are in your father's house got with this (and when you fail exams you will complain bitterly).  If you father is the chief of the community in charge of all the community income, and you are head of road development committee (or whatever they name it), The village council approves the construction of some roads, and your Father release the money to your committe, at the end of the day the road is not done. Is it not the duty of your father, if his hands are clean to ask to account for the money given to your committe?
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by emmydee(m): 2:25pm On Nov 11, 2009
arrest and try OBJ Now!
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by agitator: 2:30pm On Nov 11, 2009
Frank-C:

People having have been using their brains, it is common knowledge that they are all corrupt. But that doesn't mean we should defend or excuse some people.
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:51pm On Nov 11, 2009
We can analyze all we want and hypothesis as much as Einstein did, we cannot do anything about it. FG cannot do anything unless  former military governors/presidents, senators and religious fanatics decide to abandon the Otta Farmer.

Waziri is just thumbing stale wind, we all know that OBJ squandered beyond just N200 billion, have we even thought about the millions in dollars Stella filched to SilverBird Ben Bruce when he was in NTA. or the National ID Card Scam Scheme that his Son was a major beneficiary.

We were rather interested in how OBJ slept with his son's wife (another quaint distraction to feed our dusty brains)

Waziri, the ICPC our Judiciary and The President's visibly avowed support for the freakin Rule of Lies Law cannot do a fig-flying-Bleep about this indictment, until i see OBJ in the dungeons he was used to before he became a born-again who would become president of Nigeria.

FG can stuff whatever allegations, indictments, corroboration and hypothesis they can bleeping conceive
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by oamon: 3:30pm On Nov 11, 2009
May be this is a way BG wants to fight back. Lets wait n see if the animal farm saying that goes thus "All Sacred cows are equal but some sacred cows are more equal than others" will be applied here! :-x
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by oamon: 3:35pm On Nov 11, 2009
:-x  
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by nethacker(m): 3:47pm On Nov 11, 2009
and d movie continues ,
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by Ollajay: 3:52pm On Nov 11, 2009
back2back:

Well done, another Kudos to OBJ:

1. Power Project: $16billion

2. Eco-Fund: N200billion

Yet, Abacha stole ONLY $3bill in total!

First, it has since been found that the total budget for power project under OBJ was about $6billion and not $16billion. In any event, it was found that only about $3billion has been realeased when OBJ left govt. This was confirmed by CBN, Auditor General of the Fedration and IMF who was supervising the project. The National Assembly probe was just a huge joke!!! Elumelu and his committee were so ignorant of how power project contracts work!!!

Second, I listened to the VP's statement on Ecological Fund. At no time did he mentioned that OBJ or the FG was responsible for the alleged wastage of the N200 billion. This is because Eco Fund is not "spent" by FG. Rather, ECO Fund is shared amongst all the states of the Federation, the FCT and the FG. Every state, FCT or FG have the responsibility to account for how the spent moneis recieved from Eco Fund. It is clearly absurd and contrary to any iota of sense for anyone to say OBJ should account for how Eco Fund was spent over 8 years by all the states of the Federation, FCT and FG.

In any event, how much is N200billion spent over 8 years can make any difference in the ecology of Nigeria. Let us assume that all the states of the Federation, the FCT and the FG shared the sum of N200 billion equally amongst them over 8 years ie N200 billion divided by 38= N5billion; N5billion divided by 8 years = N676 million per year.

So, if each state spent about N676 million for 8 years on Ecology, what is the big deal?

Even if we dont know how the fund was shared between them, it is clear that 200 billion in 8 years is N25billion per year. If all the 36 states of the federation share N25 billion per annum, how much impact will it make on the Ecology of any state?

If you believe OBJ is a thief, then catch him on hard facts and not merely emotions. Otherwise, you may never be able to catch him.  

I beleive no one will be able to charge OBJ for corruption until the are sure of the facts!

Am waiting and watching.
Re: Fg Indicts Obasanjo Over N200bn Ecological Fund by centnaira: 3:59pm On Nov 11, 2009
jail obj and save nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What’s Haunting Benue Governorship Tribunal? / Captain Terkumbur Josephine Ancha Sues Army For N1bn Over Unlawful Retirement / Fmr.Akwa Ibom State Governor Victor Attah, defects to APC.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.