Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,549 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (683942 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 5:17pm On Jan 06, 2017
I went back home and told them i didnt see blender grin

I didnt go to the megastores like Wal-Mart or bestbuy though. Abeg, no be me this cold go kill grin grin

18 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by obinna5000(m): 6:31pm On Jan 06, 2017
MISTAICEY02288:

Its not in illinois. Its in Atlanta, capital city of Georgia state.

Buh i will still visit the popular cities in United states all the same. Cities like Las Vegas, Chicago, Miami, Los Angelis, New York, Texas etc.

Great. Success with your studies.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by falopey: 8:16pm On Jan 06, 2017
Kenneth10110:

$2000 ++ big lie. what is she doing to earn that amount.
If you care to know.

I know a friend that earns exactly that amount driving to make deliveries for a company and additional $1500 working as an instrumentalist for one of the popular Nigerian church. So how much is that all together; $3500 right? He is yet to have his GC.

20 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 8:52pm On Jan 06, 2017
Preparing lunch.

Na me dey cook this one

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by sewzann14(f): 10:35pm On Jan 06, 2017
lovely thread you have here, the thing sweet die

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jan 06, 2017
lovedappie:
@FrankNetter I have been enjoying your write-up from the onset, what about Chi-town chics?, you ain't told us anything about them.

na true ooooo ...........tell us somtin cuz i dey feel Franknetter
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ttmacoy: 10:43pm On Jan 06, 2017
You ain't paying? Really? The fact they sent the letter and proof to your house shows they know to who and where the car is registered and the longer you avoid paying it the more the fines and penalties increase.

One day police will stop you for something random, run your name and will see there is a warrant out for you, na county jail be that. God help you it's a Friday so you can stay there the whole weekend lol.

Jokes aside if you don't want to pay the fine, avoid it by obeying the law simple.

In fact you know something as simple as not paying the fine can escalate to the point you end up with a record which can impact job offers in the future? It can affect your credit score and affect you in many ways.

Malayy:
please don't mention it.. I had to comment when I saw this.. 400grand wasted just like that. if I was her, I ain't paying that..

31 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 11:06pm On Jan 06, 2017
Malayy:
please don't mention it.. I had to comment when I saw this.. 400grand wasted just like that. if I was her, I ain't paying that..

Bro, each "ticket" get expiry date. You either go to traffic court and battle it out; or you pay the fine. If the expiry date reaches, your ticket go add money, you can't run from it. grin

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 12:54am On Jan 07, 2017
Since i av been here, i am not finding all these american food funny oo.. embarassed embarassed

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by fkdmods: 2:08am On Jan 07, 2017
lionlee216:
Since i av been here, i am not finding all these american food funny oo.. embarassed embarassed

Na you wan chop American food.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 3:28am On Jan 07, 2017
ttmacoy:
You ain't paying? Really? The fact they sent the letter and proof to your house shows they know to who and where the car is registered and the longer you avoid paying it the more the fines and penalties increase.

One day police will stop you for something random, run your name and will see there is a warrant out for you, na county jail be that. God help you it's a Friday so you can stay there the whole weekend lol.

Jokes aside if you don't want to pay the fine, avoid it by obeying the law simple
These people have systems and they get their money. Like you said. .. you don't pay on time... penalties kick in... the longer you take to pay the more you have to pay. When your fine now reaches above a retain amount.... let's say $300.... is like a warrant goes out not for you... but your car or any other vehicle you own... they'll seize it if it's on the road. You would still have to pay the $300÷fine... but now added would be towing fees since they had to tow your car... then wherever they store the car... you'll also have to pay storage fees which may be like $25 per day. They're not going to keep your car forever... maybe 3 weeks... and if you don't show up to pay all the fines and fees.... good bye! ...your car is auctioned off and the city gets paid!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by austino677(m): 5:12am On Jan 07, 2017
Originalsly:
These people have systems and they get their money. Like you said. .. you don't pay on time... penalties kick in... the longer you take to pay the more you have to pay. When your fine now reaches above a retain amount.... let's say $300.... is like a warrant goes out not for you... but your car or any other vehicle you own... they'll seize it if it's on the road. You would still have to pay the $300÷fine... but now added would be towing fees since they had to tow your car... then wherever they store the car... you'll also have to pay storage fees which may be like $25 per day. They're not going to keep your car forever... maybe 3 weeks... and if you don't show up to pay all the fines and fees.... good bye! ...your car is auctioned off and the city gets paid!
hehehe would they mind tow Peugeot 504 1968 model and auction it for me undecided

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by fkdmods: 5:47am On Jan 07, 2017
austino677:
hehehe would they mind tow Peugeot 504 1968 model and auction it for me undecided

You'll be shocked that a Peugeot 504 1968 model will fetch 100k and you'll get nothing for it.

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by austino677(m): 8:49am On Jan 07, 2017
fkdmods:

You'll be shocked that a Peugeot 504 1968 model will fetch 100k and you'll get nothing for it.
lol.. i wouldn't mind.. Then them towing my mercedes gle coupe grin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 9:07am On Jan 07, 2017
@ OP: nice pictures

The fine for running a red light in my city is $305.

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Malayy(m): 9:51am On Jan 07, 2017
ttmacoy:

Jokes aside if you don't want to pay the fine, avoid it by obeying the law simple.

In fact you know something as simple as not paying the fine can escalate to the point you end up with a record which can impact job offers in the future? It can affect your credit score and affect you in many ways.

I now understand. this is where naija has advantage over US. as naija born and brought up, lawlessness and disorderliness are in us.. we can even hit the traffic warden and go Scot free. no fine. I love naija sha

13 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 10:33am On Jan 07, 2017
austino677:
Peugeot not in the US.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 10:45am On Jan 07, 2017
Malayy:
I now understand. this is where naija has advantage over US. as naija born and brought up, lawlessness and disorderliness are in us.. we can even hit the traffic warden and go Scot free. no fine. I love naija sha
Lol... depends on the city/State... NYC.. hit a traffic warden it's a felony... you be arrested and jailed... go to court.. and sentenced to prison... your status checked by Immigration....not a citizen... you spend all or part of your sentence then handed over to Homeland Security to await deportation... just like that!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by austino677(m): 11:19am On Jan 07, 2017
Originalsly:
Peugeot not in the US.
i. Mean car of that range
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Malayy(m): 4:21pm On Jan 07, 2017
Originalsly:
Lol... depends on the city/State... NYC.. hit a traffic warden it's a felony... you be arrested and jailed... go to court.. and sentenced to prison... your status checked by Immigration....not a citizen... you spend all or part of your sentence then handed over to Homeland Security to await deportation... just like that!
serious crime..
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ttmacoy: 6:33pm On Jan 07, 2017
Well what you see as naija advantage I see as part of the rot that is destroying our country and holding us back.

Sorry but we need order, a lawful and functioning society to progress to a developed nation if not we will continue emerging and developing forever while some people get away with any and everything.

You shout our leaders are corrupt yet you also want to get away with unnecessary silly offences such as ignoring traffic stops or overspeeding which in the process endangers other people.

Malayy:

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Getbizzzy: 5:01pm On Jan 08, 2017
FrankNetter:
NIGERIA

So, I was a fairly popular guy in my school area back in Nigeria (not because of any extraordinary feat or something) but because I was to techy guy, the go-to guy when you have any issues with your laptop, phone, Internet or any thing technology. My course of study was nowhere near this field though, it was more like a hobby.

I didn't graduate though. I left my course of study (a professional course) and ran away. grin

News about my "janding" has filtered round, people whom I don't know have started blowing up my phone lines and social media accounts, even the girls who pretend not to see me have started jumping into my dms.
Nigerians are hypocrites though.

Abulo, God bless ur hussle nwanne.

I tapped in ya blessings bro and shall update my own soon.

Chupado Ndi Yankee nwa.

10 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Getbizzzy: 5:24pm On Jan 08, 2017
FrankNetter:
Settling in

Slowly, my biological clock has normalized. I sleep as at when due and wake up normally. It's been a week (or so) of uninterrupted power supply, uninterrupted internet connection, uninterrupted food and water. One week of feeling relaxed and not getting scared anytime you're in a tricycle (Keke) and an overloaded trailer pulls up beside you; one week of not wondering if your school would lose accreditation when NUC comes knocking; one week of not getting scared that frat boys would come and rob your hostel; one week of not giving a fvck about buhari and his wonderful economic policies, one week of not wondering if things would ever get better. One week of peace!

Do I regret leaving nigeria? Not one bit.

My friends keep asking me why I left my professional course of study to start afresh in the USA. I just laugh and shake my head... If only they knew...

===========================
Weather forecast has it that there would be a blizzard (Snow White) coming soon. So we went grocery shopping today and stocked the freezers -at least we aren't bothered about nepa or about buying petrol for the generator set.

stew cooking in progress grin

You're making emotional; ohh my gush!

Nigeria is a hell!

Only money is still keeping me in Nigeria.

Lord pls; I will tell my success story soon here.

Bless'up nwanne!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Getbizzzy: 6:02pm On Jan 08, 2017
FrankNetter:
Settling in

So, at about yesterday, I and my siblings, armed with our social security numbers, went to get our id cards and driver's license (permit).

After driving for like 45 - 60mins, we got to our destination.

One striking thing about everything Ive seen so far is the fact that everything here is so orderly. As someone who is used to the jaga jaga system of things in nigeria, i find this a whole lot pleasing to the senses.

On getting there, we queued up, took our ticket numbers, sat down and waited for our tickets to be called so we would be attended to.

After a while, my ticket number was called, I filled some forms and went to take a written test which I passed. Then i went and had my picture taken for the learner's permit and id card.

During the course of our little stay there, a group of high school students came in and sang some christmas songs. it was really refreshing. It reminded me of my days in the choir. Surprisingly, the choir was from the catholic church close to our house. I made a mental note about making enquiries about joining the bigger choir when I get to church next sunday.

We went for a little drive to see some notable places close to the house -cinema, sports facility etc.

Each time we step out, i see some ultra bad-ass cars shocked shocked no be for naija wey toyota full everywhere. grin

Congrats bro!

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 11:04pm On Jan 08, 2017
Lake Michigan. I think its frozen.

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by bikerboy1(m): 11:06pm On Jan 08, 2017
FrankNetter:
Then i left and entered one "supermarket"

Saw some unripe plantains (which my mum loves) and packed all of them grin

These people get serious time oo. To de put label on top each plantain. grin grin

Anyways make them try enter Idioro MKT for Mushin Lagos , the sight of plantain will scare them away. shocked grin grin

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 11:06pm On Jan 08, 2017
Randoms

10 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 11:08pm On Jan 08, 2017
smiley

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 11:11pm On Jan 08, 2017
smiley.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 11:13pm On Jan 08, 2017
Random pictures

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 11:15pm On Jan 08, 2017
smiley smiley smiley

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 11:17pm On Jan 08, 2017
more pics

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.