Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (142) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (683019 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 1:35am On Mar 28, 2018
So a friend on vacation in chicago got robbed at gunpoint.

He went out arround 4am to do something and he was approached by this two guys with gun taking his money and phone right in his street

Pls if you are living in chicago, also know some parts are very dangerous to walk(assume chicago is dangerous to be safe) during odd hours. He was even asking me if they had toy guns or if they can shot him for real if he resisted.

Be cautious of your environment

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 2:12pm On Mar 28, 2018
lionlee216:

He went out arround 4am to do something and he was approached by this two guys with gun taking his money and phone right in his street

Pls if you are living in chicago, also know some parts are very dangerous to walk(assume chicago is dangerous to be safe) during odd hours. He was even asking me if they had toy guns or if they can shot him for real if he resisted.

Did he report to the police at least they can be tracked with the nearby CCTV camera.

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 4:34pm On Mar 28, 2018
lionlee216:

Yeah bro, Chicago rough sha. The place I work is right in Chicago, we are always advised to take our breaks as early as possible ‘cos with the cover of darkness comes some miscreants. Each day I drive home from work, na so so police everywhere.

Hope your guy is okay

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 2:11am On Mar 29, 2018
The roughest areas where majority off these crimes occur are the South Side and West Side. The total population of the two areas combined is less than 5% of the total Chicagoland area population. However, over 90% of the crimes in all of Chicagoland happen in those 2 areas.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by orbis(m): 6:36pm On Mar 30, 2018
Bossman:
The roughest areas where majority off these crimes occur are the South Side and West Side. The total population of the two areas combined is less than 5% of the total Chicagoland area population. However, over 90% of the crimes in all of Chicagoland happen in those 2 areas.

Do you have more black peeps living in those area?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by 1Rebel: 6:39pm On Mar 30, 2018
orbis:

Do you have more black peeps living in those area?

Sadly, yes
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by orbis(m): 6:43pm On Mar 30, 2018
1Rebel:

Sadly, yes

Its same shit everywhere. A lotta blacks and hispanics live in poorer communities riddled with drugs and crime. Drug is the main cause of crime though as rival groups..crips and blood...struggle for the market
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:21am On Apr 04, 2018
The place I’m working at now is a nursing home that’s part psychiatric, part skilled facility, they offered a training program to handle violent psychiatric patients, I eagerly accepted. the course lasted 10hrs after which we were given a crisis prevention and intervention (CPI) certificate. We were also fed.

At the end of the day, I got paid 10hrs wages for sitting down and listening to a lecture, got a certificate that’s really relevant and also got fed all day. grin

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:24am On Apr 04, 2018
See my outfit grin

20 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 3:08am On Apr 04, 2018
Hmmm....violent.......psychiatric. ....patients!...no wonder they ehmmm...enticed you to take the course. Naija crazies not at all near the levels of US crazies....watch ur back.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Electroweb(m): 12:00pm On Apr 04, 2018
Bossman:

Is there a site that lists the cities to ge avoided by tourists in the US? I know Detroit is a violent place...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Clefayomide: 3:00pm On Apr 05, 2018
FrankNetter:
See my outfit grin

Hello frank, Pls have got a question concerning this cna job

Must I necessarily be a science student b4 I can apply? Or is it open for both science and art graduate/student?

Nice footwear

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by stonemasonn: 3:43pm On Apr 05, 2018
Clefayomide:

Hello frank, Pls have got a question concerning this cna job

Must I necessarily be a science student b4 I can apply? Or is it open for both science and art graduate/student?

Nice footwear
Look for a college around you that offers nursing degrees/certificates and make inquiries, It should be open for anybody as long as you can read, write and have no drug or prison records. Good luck bro.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Clefayomide: 3:48pm On Apr 05, 2018
stonemasonn:
Look for a college around you that offers nursing degrees/certificates and make inquiries, It should be open for anybody as long as you can read, write and have no drug or prison records. Good luck bro.

OK thanks bruv
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Juliette3Ken(f): 9:56pm On Apr 05, 2018
Nice Thread Frank. Kudos!
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ovieigho(m): 12:52am On Apr 06, 2018
I used to trip for this thread until i find myself having a feel of what usa is like...

Thanks for the ginger bro..
USA is sweet...
Life is sweet..
God is faithful to his words..

17 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by KendrickAyomide: 5:03am On Apr 06, 2018
ovieigho:
I used to trip for this thread until i find myself having a feel of what usa is like...

Thanks for the ginger bro..
USA is sweet...
Life is sweet..
God is faithful to his words..
Alaye anytime I Open this thread I close it ASAP with tears and goosebumps. Man gat comot for this Zoo sha

15 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Juliette3Ken(f): 1:20pm On Apr 06, 2018
USA is a really nice place to be but the painful truth is that it isn't for everyone.
We all have our purpose in life. cry cry cry

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by winterstorm: 2:03pm On Apr 06, 2018
Juliette3Ken:
USA is a really nice place to be but the painful truth is that it isn't for everyone.
How and why the tears? undecided
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Juliette3Ken(f): 3:01pm On Apr 06, 2018
Nothing at all. grin
winterstorm:
How and why the tears? undecided
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by 1Rebel: 12:05am On Apr 07, 2018
Juliette3Ken:

Sadly, You have a point.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:50am On Apr 07, 2018
Work

Nursing care here in most places in the USA is a 24hr deal. The day is divided into 3 shifts consisting of 8 hours each. 11:00pm to 7:00 am; 7:00 am to 3:00pm and 3:00pm to 11:00pm.
The shift I normally work is the evening shift (3:00pm to 11:00pm shift). Sadly, this shift is filled with lots of young people who, from my observations so far, are more content with running their mouths about nonsense. For that sole reason, I’ve kept to myself for most of the time I’ve worked here.

Most times, I tend to stay over from my regular shift and encroach into the night shift so I can get more hours. More hours = more money. wink

Yesterday was one of those days, I stayed over for the night shift. We call it “doing a double”.

I had done my rounds (checking the rooms to see if everybody is okay) and decided to go downstairs to the break room to grab something to drink. I walked in to see two coworkers sitting there. I got my juice, sat down and was sipping my thing.

They were sipping something strong, I could tell by the smell.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:55am On Apr 07, 2018
One of them offered to pour me a cup, out of curiosity I asked what it was they were drinking, it was some Hennessy. Good strong stuff. I declined the offer, citing the fact that I don’t drink. The guy, out of curiosity asked “bro, don’t you have any vice?” I smiled and sidestepped the question. One thing led to another, and coupled with the alcohol, we got into a conversation. A good conversation.

One thing I’ve been asking myself since I got here is why the blacks here don’t use the opportunities they have. Why they don’t see the prospects Africans see. Why Africans come here and excel tremendously whereas the black Americans don’t do the same. Aren’t we the same after all? We got talking.

He argued that the system in America is structured towards oppressing the black man. That no matter what a black man does in the USA, he won’t attain the heights a white man would by putting much less effort. That “the system is fvcked up”. He cited examples “Martin Luther King jr, Larry Hoover” etc

He pointed out that the system brought these people down. He used the countless cases of police violence towards black people. He even used himself as an example, citing the countless number of times he has been pulled over and searched thoroughly just for driving a flashy new model car.
I listened, trying to understand, trying to see life from his POV.

Then I countered, I started by asking him how many third world countries he has been to, he said none. I dived in, told him there are different levels of “fvcked up”. That for him, the system may look fvcked up relative to the white man, but for an African immigrant, the system is just perfect cos we look at life here relative to the mess our countries in Africa are. Hell, we don’t even have electricity. We have no semblance of government assistance anywhere in the whole of Africa. You want to go to school? You have student loans to help you study to any level you want to. You don’t earn enough money, social security steps in. I buttressed my point, telling him they have been spoon-fed so much, they are asking for a bigger spoon; that they have no excuse whatsoever.

In the heat of the moment, the conversation seemed confrontational because I was so direct. I just couldn’t see the reason why they can’t see the opportunities staring them in the face.

78 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ovieigho(m): 3:21am On Apr 07, 2018
KendrickAyomide:
Alaye anytime I Open this thread I close it ASAP with tears and goosebumps. Man gat comot for this Zoo sha

It is well bro...just believe

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 3:31am On Apr 07, 2018
He brought up something called “section 8” which is a government assistance program for low income earning single mothers. They government would pay you a specific amount of money for the rest of your life as long as you don’t have a working class man in your life.

It wasn’t the first time I had heard something like that, so I looked it up sometime ago and had some rudimentary knowledge about it. so we talked. He said the “section 8” program was put in place to help. I said in a way, it helps, in a way it doesn’t. I cited the fact that black people now use it an excuse not to foster the values of family. why hustle with a spouse to get a good life when you can decide to have as much kids as you want and the government would keep paying you money every month. Why stress yourself working a job, chasing a career when all you need to do is sit your ass at home and get a paycheck every month? But then again, these kids you’re bringing into the world, who’s going to train them? Who is going to instil good values into their heads? Who is going to discipline them, show them the right way to do stuff?
I followed that train of thought and pointed out that one of the reasons why Africans excel so much is because of something as basic as starting and keeping a family together. A family with a father and mother figure where the parents are keeping their kids in check, bringing them up in the right way, teaching them the values of hardwork and most importantly, morality.
Who born you to refuse to go to school in an African home? When all you need is to show intent and you can get funding to study to any level?

In the end, we agreed to disagree that indeed there are different levels to “fvcked up” and that the ability to discern right from wrong, the awareness of oneself to choose to be useful by going to school, learning a trade, chasing a career and doing the right things cannot be congenitally instilled in a child; that these have to be taught in a family, but who would teach it when the family structure is broken?

I ended the conversation with an impromptu quote:
nobody is born with a moral compass, it has to be taught

I was glad I had that conversation because I came across another epiphany. smiley

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 4:26am On Apr 07, 2018
At work, I’ve struck up a rapport with the lady that makes the schedule, she puts me on the work roster often and this is reflecting well on my paychecks; more hours, more money, remember? wink.
She obliges me because my work ethic is starting to show. I’m almost always available to work extra hours. This is good for me cos I’d soon be starting school so I would need a flexible shift that would work with my school schedule. Let’s see how it goes smiley

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by vickifeanyi47(m): 1:56pm On Apr 07, 2018
[quote author=FrankNetter post=66496806]He brought up something called “section 8” which is a government assistance program for low income earning single mothers. They government would pay you a specific amount of money for the rest of your life as long as you don’t have a working class man in your life.

It wasn’t the first time I had heard something like that, so I looked it up sometime ago and had some rudimentary knowledge about it. so we talked. He said the “section 8” program was put in place to help. I said in a way, it helps, in a way it doesn’t. I cited the fact that black people now use it an excuse not to foster the values of family. why hustle with a spouse to get a good life when you can decide to have as much kids as you want and the government would keep paying you money every month. Why stress yourself working a job, chasing a career when all you need to do is sit your ass at home and get a paycheck every month? But then again, these kids you’re bringing into the world, who’s going to train them? Who is going to instil good values into their heads? Who is going to discipline them, show them the right way to do stuff?
I followed that train of thought and pointed out that one of the reasons why Africans excel so much is because of something as basic as starting and keeping a family together. A family with a father and mother figure where the parents are keeping their kids in check, bringing them up in the right way, teaching them the values of hardwork and most importantly, morality.
Who born you to refuse to go to school in an African home? When all you need is to show intent and you can get funding to study to any level?

In the end, we agreed to disagree that indeed there are different levels to “fvcked up” and that the ability to discern right from wrong, the awareness of oneself to choose to be useful by going to school, learning a trade, chasing a career and doing the right things cannot be congenitally instilled in a child; that these have to be taught in a family, but who would teach it when the family structure is broken?

I ended the conversation with an impromptu quote:
nobody is born with a moral compass, it has to be taught

I was glad I had that conversation because I came across another epiphany. smiley

[/quote
Very impressive @frank, keep it up

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by subcbouy: 2:15pm On Apr 07, 2018
Juliette3Ken:
Absolutely correct, gun violence in US n knife violence in UK. War in Syria, North Korea nuclear program. No where is safe. Village sef na "eagles" grin nawa oooo lipsrsealed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by YankeeJJC(m): 2:16pm On Apr 07, 2018
subcbouy:
Village sef na "eagles" grin nawa oooo lipsrsealed embarassed
I tire grin

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by subcbouy: 2:41pm On Apr 07, 2018
YankeeJJC:
I tire grin
bro, where is now for everybody? I tire, too.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Joohan: 3:21pm On Apr 07, 2018
subcbouy:
bro, where is now for everybody? I tire, too.

Heaven lipsrsealed

Franknetter, nice job bro...
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by subcbouy: 4:06pm On Apr 07, 2018
Joohan:

Heaven lipsrsealed

Franknetter, nice job bro...
haha demand is high.

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.