Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,979 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (139) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (683616 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lyrondee: 9:15am On Mar 09, 2018
FrankNetter:
I've got some great news, my transcript has been evaluated, I applied to Chicago state university to study BSN nursing and got accepted. I paid the "acceptance fee" of $50 yesterday and I'm revving my engines, ready to go! Ready to explore a whole new world within the 4 walls of the university. smiley
Congrats bro.. much success..
CSU no dey smile fr Intl students... no scholarship or grant.. App fee $100
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by hammed71(m): 10:57am On Mar 09, 2018
ricktnum:
America that haff tayad someone.. Abegi, Naija is bae. Can be going for holidays tho
ehen , is that so?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by subcbouy: 11:44am On Mar 09, 2018
ricktnum:
America that haff tayad someone.. Abegi, Naija is bae. Can be going for holidays tho
Hadampson cee wetin persin de telwire.

Ekaaro ologi de ooooo
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 3:33pm On Mar 09, 2018
ricktnum:

A lawless country is bae

People with different perspectives

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bishopp007: 6:02pm On Mar 09, 2018
Marking attendance grin

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by imsuboi(m): 7:16pm On Mar 09, 2018
ricktnum:

odiegwu undecided

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Hadampson(m): 7:39pm On Mar 09, 2018
ricktnum:
In Tecno's voice

ANOTHER MAN IS ANOTHER MAN POISON

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Hadampson(m): 7:40pm On Mar 09, 2018
subcbouy:
Hadampson cee wetin persin de telwire.
Ekaaro ologi de ooooo

Lol
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Udoks(m): 5:34am On Mar 10, 2018
FrankNetter and all, please help.
I have a 66weeks exchange program to run in Loretto Hospital, Chicago, as soon as I get my Visa this month hopefully. It's an unpaid program. I am still a student. I am responsible for my accommodation and all... I am coming on a B1/B2. I know one isn't allowed to work with that kind of visa, but I also know that there'll be one clean thing or the other that someone could possibly do to make some extra cash, to keep body and soul together. I live a very comfortable life here in Nigeria, but I am aware that once naira cross go yonder, e no dey make much sense again... So I'd like to ask, is there anything one could possibly do there with one's free periods and days(cos there are days I won't have to report at the hospital)? And how does one go about it?

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by imsuboi(m): 8:52pm On Mar 11, 2018
Udoks:
I have a 66weeks exchange program to run in Loretto Hospital, Chicago, as soon as I get my Visa this month hopefully. It's an unpaid program. I am still a student. I am responsible for my accommodation and all... I am coming on a B1/B2. I know one isn't allowed to work with that kind of visa, but I also know that there'll be one clean thing or the other that someone could possibly do to make some extra cash, to keep body and soul together. I live a very comfortable life here in Nigeria, but I am aware that once naira cross go yonder, e no dey make much sense again... So I'd like to ask, is there anything one could possibly do there with one's free periods and days(cos there are days I won't have to report at the hospital)? And how does one go about it?

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by BarristerAlarig: 9:25am On Mar 13, 2018
imsuboi:

Dear sir, No matter your circumstances, you can not work in the US with a B-class visa. Most employers usually request for your SSN which you can't possibly have. Why didn't you apply for a J1 visa since you have an offer from a US hospital Although a J1 visa is also a non immigrant visa, one can legally work with it.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 9:56am On Mar 13, 2018
Udoks:
Just as neckteller packed snow for 50dollars.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 1:17pm On Mar 13, 2018
Franknetter i sent u pm regarding your mechanic
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 3:42pm On Mar 13, 2018
lionlee216:
Franknetter i sent u pm regarding your mechanic

Okay bro.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 3:47pm On Mar 13, 2018
This story would not be complete without me talking about how my relations with my "friends" and relatives from nigeria has evolved.

You see, the time difference between the USA and Nigeria is 6hrs (7hrs sometimes). When nigeria is waking up, USA is going to sleep, when you in Nigeria are done with your day, the person here in USA is still toiling it through the day. Initially, I and my close friends tried to keep in touch as often as we could, whatsapp groups, Instagram groups, FaceTime calls and all. The frequency of calls dropped, twice daily... once daily... thrice weekly... once weekly... and gradually it fizzled out. Even when we make out time to talk, it's the same old stuff, the same old "how-are-yous" and "fines"

32 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 3:48pm On Mar 13, 2018
Patiently waiting for update the story

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 3:55pm On Mar 13, 2018
We all understood. We are grownups anyway, so we tried to understand. But then again, we can only do so much. Life in the USA is way different and some people can't quite grasp it.

Life here is non-stop (At least for me). I'm either working, or driving, or running some errands or resting.
There's little or no time to waste on idle talk. So we keep it moving.

There's another group of "friends", the group whose messages you dread, the group whose sole aim is to ask for stuff. Don't get me wrong, I know say naija hard, I'm a living witness. But I don't know where people get this idea that money is plucked in America. I've noticed a pattern and for this sole reason, I've stopped posting on Facebook, each time I make an update or post a photo, I'm bombarded with a barrage of messages, of which I know the real intent. The conversation cascade would begin with "how-are-yous" and end with them asking for something. But then, there's a limit to everything, there's a limit to how much people you can help.

42 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by adrenaline02: 4:04pm On Mar 13, 2018
Na past 4 for here, wetin be time there and wetin dey sup... best wishes o...
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 4:07pm On Mar 13, 2018
adrenaline02:
Na past 4 for here, wetin be time there and wetin dey sup... best wishes o...

10:06 am bro

18 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 4:11pm On Mar 13, 2018
In the end, I've gradually backed away from my nigerian social media accounts lest it begins to look like I'm a snub or I'm "carrying shoulder up"

22 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by subcbouy: 4:18pm On Mar 13, 2018
Absolutely true, time is money in these countries. Hours you put to work is your earnings. If you didn't clock when you should, your money is reduced to the time you clock. And there is a country where if you didn't appear in the office, your friends can register you as present in duty. Your money is fixed to monthly stipends. The main reason is time, as you have said, It will be difficult calling your friends when on duty.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Beautyaddy: 6:02pm On Mar 13, 2018
FrankNetter:
In the end, I've gradually backed away from my nigerian Facebook account lest it begins to look like I'm a snub or I'm "carrying shoulder up"

Lol!!...Most people staying in Nigeria are very well laid back with their jobs as well as cut corners with paying bills...and that is if they have any bills at all to pay or pay very little but people living abroad unfortunate don't have the luxury to cut corners with bills.

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 6:10pm On Mar 13, 2018
FrankNetter:
In the end, I've gradually backed away from my nigerian Facebook account lest it begins to look like I'm a snub or I'm "carrying shoulder up"
How about those girls sending you unclad pictures.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 6:34pm On Mar 13, 2018
Dremca:
How about those girls sending you unclad pictures.
Lol...you funny!... but why should he back away from stuff to relax and refresh and massage his tired eyes?

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by cuteguy201: 6:36pm On Mar 13, 2018
Lol

Afi tired eyes noni

Originalsly:
Lol...you funny!... but why should he back away from stuff to relax and refresh and massage his tired eyes?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by error4040: 2:54am On Mar 14, 2018
lionlee216:
Patiently waiting for update the story
Bro what happened to Blowjobs thread? You seems not to update on any matter as you normally contribute Hope all is well?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 4:17am On Mar 15, 2018
error4040:
Bro what happened to Blowjobs thread? You seems not to update on any matter as you normally contribute Hope all is well?

All is well. Infact e no easy. I must tell u
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by error4040: 7:33am On Mar 15, 2018
lionlee216:

All is well. Infact e no easy. I must tell u
LoL no p wishing you success
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 9:32am On Mar 15, 2018
Wow...
I've missed a lot on this thread o

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 12:30am On Mar 16, 2018
Thanks so much franknetter. Visited d mechanic today and he was so helpful.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by karlswizzy(m): 10:00am On Mar 16, 2018
0-138 in 4 days. Best thread on this forum so far,i've learnt a lot. God bless you Franknetter.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by revontuli(f): 8:37pm On Mar 16, 2018
FrankNetter:
I've also opened a new Twitter account guys. Abeg follow me grin

@obinetter is the handle both for instagram and Twitter

Your thread is awesome and a lot of fun to read. I think it would make a great blog. But write more stories! The stories are awesome.

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.