Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,826 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. (70985 Views)

A 50,000-Year-Old Lake In India Turns Pink And Experts Don't Know Exactly Why / Mysteries About Snakes / 20 Myths About Snakes That Will Blow Your Mind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by deolu2000(m): 10:49am On Dec 06, 2016
Explorers:

Lol.
see question wey person they ask na. Like say na today them born am.
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by victorking: 11:06am On Dec 06, 2016
Gosh! I hate snakes. Dont ever dream to see a life one. Chai! Worst creation ever but their meat sweet ooo. Irony of life: the deadliest is the sweetest when dead.

2 Likes

Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by victorking: 11:08am On Dec 06, 2016
Explorers:
35. In Vietnam, it is possible to order a cobra blood wine from restaurant menu.

The waiter will take a live cobra, kill it on the spot, drain the blood into a shot glass of rice wine, and top it off with the cobra’s still beating heart for you to gulp down.

Damn! Disgusting. For real! Eeww
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by olabest(m): 12:28pm On Dec 06, 2016
Explorers:
Snakes, one of the most deadly and widely feared creatures on the planet.

Snakes belong to the suborder Serpentes, are elongated, limbless and flexible reptiles. There are about 3,000 known species of snakes, of these, some 700 species are venomous and of those around 250 can deliver a bite capable of killing a human.

But even non-venomous snakes can be dangerous to humans, especially the biggest snakes in the world.

Snakes eat their prey whole and are able to consume prey up to over 3 times larger than the diameter of their head.

This is possible because their lower jaw and upper jaw can separate from each other.

To keep prey from being able to escape, most snakes have rear-facing teeth that hold their victim in their mouths, specially the constrictors like the Burmese Python.

Venomous snakes inject their prey with venom, while constrictors will squeeze the life out of their prey.

Snakes don't need to hunt and feed on a daily basis. Anacondas and pythons can survive for up to a year without food after feeding.

1. The decapitated head of a dead snake can still bite, even hours after death. These types of bites usually contain huge amounts of venom.

2. Rattlesnake antivenom costs $20,000 per vial. One Florida boy needed 75-80 vials, which adds up to about $1.6 million.

3. The muscle that causes a rattlesnake to rattle fires 50 times a second for up to 3 hours or 520,000 rattles without stopping.

4. What is considered the most “dangerous” snake depends on both a specific country’s health care and the availability of antivenom following a bite. Based on these criteria, the most dangerous snake in the world is the saw-scaled viper, which bites and kills more people each year than any other snake.

5. Snakes are found all throughout the earth except Antarctica, Iceland, Ireland, Greenland and New Zealand because they can't survive on the frozen grounds.

6. Of the approximately 725 species of venomous snakes worldwide, 250 can kill a human with one bite.

7. The fear of snakes (ophiophobia or herpetophobia)is one of the most common phobias worldwide. Approximately 1/3 of all adult humans areophidiophobic, which suggests that humans have an innate, evolutionary fear of snakes.

8. The warmer a snake’s body, the more quickly it can digest its prey.

Typically, it takes 3–5 days for a snake to digest its meal. For very large snakes, such as the anaconda, digestion can take weeks.

9. Some animals, such as the Mongoose, are immune to snake venom.
....I like the pics

10. The heaviest snake in the world is the anaconda. It weighs over 595 pounds (270 kg) and can grow to over 30 feet (9m) long. It has been known to eat caimans, capybaras, and jaguars.

11. The most advanced snake species in the world is believed to be the black mamba. It has the most highly evolved venom delivery system of any snake on Earth. It can strike up to 12 times in a row, though just one bite is enough to kill a grown man.

The black mamba is the world’s fastest snake and the world’s second-longest venomous snake in the world, after the king cobra.
Found in East Africa, it can reach speeds of up to 12 mph (19kph). It’s named not from the color of its scales, which is olive green, but from the inside of its mouth, which is inky black. Its venom is highly toxic, and without anti-venom, death in humans usually occurs within hours.

12. The death adder has the fastest strike of any snake in the world. It can attack, inject venom, and go back to striking position in under 0.15 seconds.

13. While snakes do not have external ears or eardrums, their skin,muscles, and bones carry sound vibrations to their inner ears.

14. There are about 3,000 different species of snakes. All of them are predator.

15. In 2009, a Florida couple was charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter of their daughter after their pet Burmese python escaped its cage and squeezed the two-year-old to death.

16. The largest Chinese restaurant in the world seats 5,000 people, employs more than 300 chefs, and goes through 700 chickens and 200 snakes in a week.

20. In an island in Brazil, there are 5 snakes per square meter and hence it is declared a no human zone. So, if you are visiting Brazil, you better not visit this snake island.

21. The most deadly species of snakes are found in Australia which includes Brown Snakes, Copperheads, Death Adders, Tiger snakes and Taipan snakes.

Source: http://www.factretriever.com/snake-facts
http://www.kickassfacts.com/25-kickass-and-interesting-facts-about-snakes-part-2/
http://snake-facts.weebly.com/
cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by nextprince: 12:32pm On Dec 06, 2016
Explorers, abeg e don do.
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by knostbrown01(m): 12:47pm On Dec 06, 2016
Explorers:

49. Snakes are immune to their venom and venom of their close relatives, but not to the venom of other speciesof snakes.

if they are immune to their venom, why would a snake bite itself to death when attack by group of ants, i have witnessed and heard that on several occassion

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by kingsilly(m): 1:01pm On Dec 06, 2016
knostbrown01:
if they are immune to their venom, why would a snake bite itself to death when attack by group of ants, i have witnessed and heard that on several occassion
Dey rather kill themselves dan commit suicide grin

16 Likes

Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by knostbrown01(m): 1:17pm On Dec 06, 2016
kingsilly:

Dey rather kill themselves dan commit suicide grin
grin ino dey dere oo

2 Likes

Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by Explorers(m): 1:34pm On Dec 06, 2016
knostbrown01:

Some species.

3 Likes

Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by Jephz(m): 1:48pm On Dec 06, 2016
angry
deolu2000:

is that a question? I dnt think they kill they just send dumb ppl to great beyond.
lol... baba me and u get quarrel b4?? I grin
deolu2000:

is that a question? I dnt think they kill they just send dumb ppl to great beyond.
lol... baba me and u get quarrel b4?? I
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by idris4r83(m): 2:01pm On Dec 06, 2016
Very educative thread.

1 Like

Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by bjt(m): 2:26pm On Dec 06, 2016
Rockyrascal:
Is Anaconda still in existence?
yeah especially in the Amazon forest in Brazil.
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by bjt(m): 2:28pm On Dec 06, 2016
victorking:
Gosh! I hate snakes. Dont ever dream to see a life one. Chai! Worst creation ever but their meat sweet ooo. Irony of life: the deadliest is the sweetest when dead.
shocked you dey chop snake

1 Like

Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by deolu2000(m): 2:40pm On Dec 06, 2016
Jephz:
angrylol... baba me and u get quarrel b4?? I ;Dlol... baba me and u get quarrel b4?? I
at all bro, no beef. Jst responded to your sarcasm actually. No harm intended ok.

1 Like

Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by Nobody: 2:55pm On Dec 06, 2016
I detest snakes!
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by laiza(m): 3:02pm On Dec 06, 2016
Snakes are not immune to their own venom, they could be immune to the venom of other Snakes but not theirs. An example is the King Cobra, the Snake is immune to all venom because it feeds primarily on other Snakes but when two king Cobra fights, the larger one ends up consuming the smaller of which it has to be immobilised by venom. In worse case scenario they both end up dead. There are cases of some very toxic but smaller Snakes crawling out of the belly of a much larger snake after it must have consumed them whole they wait out the poison and bite from within, then crawl out live. Some salamanders too are poisonous, when they end up in the belly of some Snakes or Bull frog, they come out alive after the poison on their outer skin must have killed their host from within. The most venomous snake on the planet is Inland Taipan, found only in Australia and it's not immune to its own poison, in fact a tiger snake which craves other snake as appetite also must first overpower other snakes by injecting a lot of venom before the other has the ability or opportunity to strike.
In Africa, we have the longest and fastest venomous snake; the Black Mamba.

14 Likes

Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by Aitee1: 3:04pm On Dec 06, 2016
Explorers you don't want me to have a peaceful night rest tonight abi

Now I can't even view my following cos of pictures of snakes angry angry angry
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by Explorers(m): 3:14pm On Dec 06, 2016
Aitee1:
Explorers you don't want me to have a peaceful night rest tonight abi

Now I can't even view my following cos of pictures of snakes angry angry angry

You that scared? Did u c a lady like you holding and posing with a dead snake yesterday grin
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by Aitee1: 3:19pm On Dec 06, 2016
Explorers:

You that scared? Did u c a lady like you holding and posing with a dead snake yesterday grin

I don't even open snake threads here, it that bad! cry

Now cos I'm following you all those pictures you post are on my following, now I can't read the stories I'm following angry
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by Explorers(m): 3:26pm On Dec 06, 2016
laiza:
Snakes are not immune to their own venom, they could be immune to the venom of other Snakes but not theirs. An example is the King Cobra, the Snake is immune to all venom because it feeds primarily on other Snakes but when two king Cobra fights, the larger one ends up consuming the smaller of which it has to be immobilised by venom. In worse case scenario they both end up dead. There are cases of some very toxic but smaller Snakes crawling out of the belly of a much larger snake after it must have consumed them whole they wait out the poison and bite from within, then crawl out live. Some salamanders too are poisonous, when they end up in the belly of some Snakes or Bull frog, they come out alive after the poison on their outer skin must have killed their host from within. The most venomous snake on the planet is Inland Taipan, found only in Australia and it's not immune to its own poison, in fact a tiger snake which craves other snake as appetite also must first overpower other snakes by injecting a lot of venom before the other has the ability or opportunity to strike.
In Africa, we have the longest and fastest venomous snake; the Black Mamba.

I learnt some species, not all snakes are immune to own venom. These type of snakes kind of have their own antivenom built (in) according to a snake venom researcher on quora.

Swallowed snake coming out alive is impossible when it comes to constrictors, Python, Boa, and Anaconda. They crush and squeeze the life out of their prey before swallowing.

Giant pythons, Anaconda are capable of crushing a full grown man.

Ive seen Giant Pythons killing Crocodiles/Alligators, Jaguars, Cougar and so on.

Lalasticlala food don ready na.

3 Likes

Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by Explorers(m): 3:28pm On Dec 06, 2016
Aitee1:

I don't even open snake threads here, it that bad! cry

Now cos I'm following you all those pictures you post are on my following, now I can't read the stories I'm following angry

Lol...Sorry cheesy
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by hardbody: 3:35pm On Dec 06, 2016
Explorers:
Snakes, one of the most deadly and widely feared creatures on the planet.

Snakes belong to the suborder Serpentes, are elongated, limbless and flexible reptiles. There are about 3,000 known species of snakes, of these, some 700 species are venomous and of those around 250 can deliver a bite capable of killing a human.

But even non-venomous snakes can be dangerous to humans, especially the biggest snakes in the world.

Snakes eat their prey whole and are able to consume prey up to over 3 times larger than the diameter of their head.

This is possible because their lower jaw and upper jaw can separate from each other.

To keep prey from being able to escape, most snakes have rear-facing teeth that hold their victim in their mouths, specially the constrictors like the Burmese Python.

Venomous snakes inject their prey with venom, while constrictors will squeeze the life out of their prey.

Snakes don't need to hunt and feed on a daily basis. Anacondas and pythons can survive for up to a year without food after feeding.

1. The decapitated head of a dead snake can still bite, even hours after death. These types of bites usually contain huge amounts of venom.

2. Rattlesnake antivenom costs $20,000 per vial. One Florida boy needed 75-80 vials, which adds up to about $1.6 million.

3. The muscle that causes a rattlesnake to rattle fires 50 times a second for up to 3 hours or 520,000 rattles without stopping.

4. What is considered the most “dangerous” snake depends on both a specific country’s health care and the availability of antivenom following a bite. Based on these criteria, the most dangerous snake in the world is the saw-scaled viper, which bites and kills more people each year than any other snake.

5. Snakes are found all throughout the earth except Antarctica, Iceland, Ireland, Greenland and New Zealand because they can't survive on the frozen grounds.

6. Of the approximately 725 species of venomous snakes worldwide, 250 can kill a human with one bite.

7. The fear of snakes (ophiophobia or herpetophobia)is one of the most common phobias worldwide. Approximately 1/3 of all adult humans areophidiophobic, which suggests that humans have an innate, evolutionary fear of snakes.

8. The warmer a snake’s body, the more quickly it can digest its prey.

Typically, it takes 3–5 days for a snake to digest its meal. For very large snakes, such as the anaconda, digestion can take weeks.

9. Some animals, such as the Mongoose, are immune to snake venom.

10. The heaviest snake in the world is the anaconda. It weighs over 595 pounds (270 kg) and can grow to over 30 feet (9m) long. It has been known to eat caimans, capybaras, and jaguars.

11. The most advanced snake species in the world is believed to be the black mamba. It has the most highly evolved venom delivery system of any snake on Earth. It can strike up to 12 times in a row, though just one bite is enough to kill a grown man.

The black mamba is the world’s fastest snake and the world’s second-longest venomous snake in the world, after the king cobra.
Found in East Africa, it can reach speeds of up to 12 mph (19kph). It’s named not from the color of its scales, which is olive green, but from the inside of its mouth, which is inky black. Its venom is highly toxic, and without anti-venom, death in humans usually occurs within hours.

12. The death adder has the fastest strike of any snake in the world. It can attack, inject venom, and go back to striking position in under 0.15 seconds.

13. While snakes do not have external ears or eardrums, their skin,muscles, and bones carry sound vibrations to their inner ears.

14. There are about 3,000 different species of snakes. All of them are predator.

15. In 2009, a Florida couple was charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter of their daughter after their pet Burmese python escaped its cage and squeezed the two-year-old to death.

16. The largest Chinese restaurant in the world seats 5,000 people, employs more than 300 chefs, and goes through 700 chickens and 200 snakes in a week.

20. In an island in Brazil, there are 5 snakes per square meter and hence it is declared a no human zone. So, if you are visiting Brazil, you better not visit this snake island.

21. The most deadly species of snakes are found in Australia which includes Brown Snakes, Copperheads, Death Adders, Tiger snakes and Taipan snakes.

Source: http://www.factretriever.com/snake-facts
http://www.kickassfacts.com/25-kickass-and-interesting-facts-about-snakes-part-2/
http://snake-facts.weebly.com/
cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

Yet on the bolded, it is a crime punishable by law (or is it by the aborigenes) for you to kill a snake in Australia.

As a person, I will rather face a tiger or lion, than those creepy creatures called snakes. Even while reading this, I was carefully scrolling so that I do not get to see a pic (if any)
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by hardbody: 3:38pm On Dec 06, 2016
This thread gives me the creeps. I am outta here
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by Deyrinsolar(f): 4:00pm On Dec 06, 2016
Explorers:

Because of their fat.
Does that means fat people too can also be immune or there is something in the pig's fat

1 Like

Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by Explorers(m): 4:34pm On Dec 06, 2016
Deyrinsolar:
Does that means fat people too can also be immune or there is something in the pig's fat

When a snake bites, it injects its venom into the blood system which is very toxic to blood.

The layer of fat in some pigs is thicker about 3inches before getting to the blood compared to humans or other animals.

In these videos, you will see what snakes' venom does to human and animal's blood in seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WvnjCkLbvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEuAY60NFj4

Lalasticlala

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by SPDAZZY(f): 4:49pm On Dec 06, 2016
Explorers:

When a snake bites, it injects its venom into the blood system which is very toxic to blood.

The layer of fat in some pigs is thicker about 3inches before getting to the blood compared to humans or other animals.

In these videos, you will see what snakes' venom does to human and animal's blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WvnjCkLbvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEuAY60NFj4

Lalasticlala

lipsrsealed embarassed WTH
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by Tallesty1(m): 5:44pm On Dec 06, 2016
UniQuegrACE:
thank you sad
And i have just concluded plans to take you out for a snake date
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by victorking: 7:23pm On Dec 06, 2016
bjt:

shocked you dey chop snake

Just once ooo
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by laiza(m): 7:34pm On Dec 06, 2016
Explorers:

I learnt some species, not all snakes are immune to own venom. These type of snakes kind of have their own antivenom built (in) according to a snake venom researcher on quora.

Swallowed snake coming out alive is impossible when it comes to constrictors, Python, Boa, and Anaconda. They crush and squeeze the life out of their prey before swallowing.

Giant pythons, Anaconda are capable of crushing a full grown man.

Ive seen Giant Pythons killing Crocodiles/Alligators, Jaguars, Cougar and so on.

Lalasticlala food don ready na.
Have you ever seen a constrictor swallowing a poisonous snake?
Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by Nobody: 10:13pm On Dec 06, 2016
Tallesty1:
And i have just concluded plans to take you out for a snake date
what shocked shocked date? that has shown how much you hate me cry cry

1 Like

Re: Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. by swagifted(m): 10:34pm On Dec 06, 2016
Odiegwu... Just negodu..
Explorers:
52. Lebanon military commandoes eat live snakes, a tradition to display their daring and strength.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Free Internet Browsing Using Your-freedom Client / Talented Boy Manufactures ATM That Dispenses Cash In Imo State (Video) / Rain Falls In Form Of Ice In Enugu Today(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.