Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,352 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 (29105 Views)

Naira Falls Towards N400-$1 As Electioneering Resumes / Again Naira Falls, Sells At N465 Per Dollar / Naira Falls As Dollar Scarcity Worsens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 06, 2016
[quote author=onatisi post=51692354]
I remember vividly telling someone in February that by September,a bag of rice will be 20,000 naira ,she looked at me and called her family members and they started making jest of me
Now I know they won't be able to afford to eat rice now.
[/quote

Lol bro, not just rice bro not just rice.... notin is affordable anymore.. if i tell yu how many time si re-visited the ATM last week, i kept asking what did i buy ? what did i buy ? it's a sinking hole
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by LoveMachine(m): 6:48pm On Dec 06, 2016
EternalTruths:

Have you finished praising Buhari for dividing the country into 97% and 5%

Continue laughing at the 5% while oil production plummets.

Why so hostile? Where did I say I approved his utterance? Don't deflect.

I thought that was a bone head move on his part but we all know the media has hyped that statement to no end. He's doing things for the SOuth that are unprecedented but all we want to do is call him names and frustrate his administration as if the past people in Aso Rock showed us any love.

The Southern Rail Line, Ogoni clean Up, 2nd Niger Bridge, Federal Roads and various power projects are all being done. What's even more impressive is that they are trying to do these things with such limited resources. The funny thing is the North says he is favoring the south and the South says he is favoring the north. PMB is fighting a losing war on all fronts. His PR/Media people are killing him.
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by AreaFada2: 6:49pm On Dec 06, 2016
onatisi:

I remember vividly telling someone in February that by September,a bag of rice will be 20,000 naira ,she looked at me and called her family members and they started making jest of me
Now I know they won't be able to afford to eat rice now.

Hahahaha!
We bought a few bags of rice a while ago. Should last through Xmas a bit beyond. Lol.

Sadly, nothing happening now really surprises me.

Pity people thought we were being partisan last year. We were not, we were genuinely concerned.
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by Nobody: 6:50pm On Dec 06, 2016
But how many abgs of rice can we buy and store? When we spoke out of genuine concern we were almost killed because of our origins
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by microjobpays: 6:53pm On Dec 06, 2016
i need Perfect Money exchanger... pm me on whatsapp 07035271665
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 06, 2016
microjobpays:

Lol.. is this an aftersex glow ?
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by Nobody: 6:55pm On Dec 06, 2016
doctokwus:
Dont know what he is doing,but PMB in conjunction with that useless CBN governor with a non existent economic team has totally destroyed the economy.
Its obvious this people cannot get us out of this economic nightmare.
Though the outcome cannot be guaranteed,and i am not a fan of Osinbajo,but seeing pmb face everyday,more concerned about attending a security summit abroad,than addressing the emergency situation we find ourselves;i think its high time Osinbajo mounts the saddle in whichever way it maybe made possible.
I dont think anyother person,except the fisherman,can do worse than PMB.I cant bliv the man i supported wholeheartedly some 2yrs ago,nauseates and irritates me now.

Osibanjo is a mere commissioner and doesn't have what it takes.
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by LoveMachine(m): 6:57pm On Dec 06, 2016
lielbree:

Shut your trap! Pipe lines were being destroyed long before buhari entered office.

You apshit goons are shameless. What happened to all the talk of diversifying the economy?

Do you feel better now that you thrown your e-tantrum?

Why has every new source called this fresh round of attacks "RENEWED MILITANCY"? Was there any group that had the sole intention of destroying the economy? If oil production is pegged at 2.2 mil bpd but hits 1.6 how will Naija progress? If our major forex earner is crippled what will happen? I'm non partisan so don't come with that angle.

Furthermore, was all that hate even worth it? You need to channel all that hate into something that will get you money. Talking crazy to people on NL all day isn't healthy.

Economic diversification takes time but is being done as evidenced by the agric bumper harvest. First we'll be internally proficient which we will soon experience. Next export which is being targeted for 2017. Policy must first be put in place for these types of things to develop in other sectors. Which is what the NASS is doing.

Any other questions?
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by LoveMachine(m): 6:59pm On Dec 06, 2016
Yyeske:
Don't mind them abeg, they don't know what they want except to blame PMB for the woes of the naira today forgetting that even if oil production is still as high as it was before, the naira will still fall

Because

No savings
Lower price leading to lower export and fewer dollars in our coffers

Exactly. They came for my head as if I stole the money when the oil was $100 a barrel and blew up the pipelines all year. Some people just wanna be mad.

Bless you for being a critical thinker.

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by Nobody: 6:59pm On Dec 06, 2016
AreaFada2:

Well part of leadership is to calm frail nerves and resolve crisis across the land. GEJ was lambasted over Boko Haram. With everyone knowing that both Boko, their local & international backers were all specifically against a Christian president & sought to frustrate him. Even APC leaders including Buhari said GEJ should not bomb Boko. "Fighting Boko Haram is fighting the North" Buhari said then. Until the international outcry over Chibok girls that Buhari wanted to cash in on, he never said anything against Boko. He wanted money/amnesty given to Boko like creek militants. He said it openly.

BUT oil flowed because beginning in Yar'Adua's tenure, Jonathan personally went to the creeks to discuss with the militants. Bombing drastically reduced & oil/money flowed. Oil did not flow by magic, but through efforts of FG of Yar'Adua and later of Jonathan's FG.

Why can't Buhari make oil flow? Is it not his job to pacify or win the militants?
Amnesty expired and this is the result.
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by abbeyty(m): 6:59pm On Dec 06, 2016
i was thinking that if the youths who voted for this man as a president were ignorant of his pass government what about the adults that witnessed the whole thing during his pass administration when only the rich and affluence eat bread, something need to be done b4 Zimbabwean dollar is stronger than Naira
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by DonZaggy(m): 7:00pm On Dec 06, 2016
Nigeria is gradually heading to doom with the clueless people we voted into office and their cohorts. God help Nigeria
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by Day11(m): 7:00pm On Dec 06, 2016
CXLVII:

Is it Sai baba that is determining rates? You need to start looking inwards to know that 60% of the cause for the fall in Naira is done by we the citizens. Read up and make a point with me on the cause of a declining currency

So, what's the magic GEJ has been using to sustain it.

I'm a pro Buhari too.. But guy, I can't feed my family like I used to.

Don't tell me nonsense
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by LoveMachine(m): 7:01pm On Dec 06, 2016
toprealman:
Bad policies, root cause.

How could the Naira maintain its value with no savings, no major forex earning exports other than a diminished commodity in oil and a high import bill?

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by onatisi(m): 7:03pm On Dec 06, 2016
AreaFada2:

Hahahaha!
We bought a few bags of rice a while ago. Should last through Xmas a bit beyond. Lol.

Sadly, nothing happening now really surprises me.

Pity people thought we were being partisan last year. We were not, we were genuinely concerned.
The first signal I saw about buhari and which made me realise that he will be a colossal failure was him spending his first 20days in office travelling .i said it then that no sensible president will do that if he or she knows the condition Nigeria is in .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by martyns303(m): 7:05pm On Dec 06, 2016
Yyeske:
For the kids here, if GEJ had saved enough dollars like OBJ and Yar'adua, our naira won't be this low.

Remember there was a world recession around 2008/2009 but Nigeria hardly felt anything because we had enough dollars to shore up the naira then unlike now.

The blame still rest on GEJ because he never saved even in the period of all time high oil price instead he depleted what was saved and you want a miracle now.

We are all kids, ur the only grown person. Well grandpa I think ur having Dementia.... GEJ saved, ask Amaechi who alongside the APC took the federal govt. To court and requested that money from the reserve be shared.
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by ofwest47(m): 7:06pm On Dec 06, 2016
Why will it not get to the 500 Naira to a dollar mark when Nigeria is a country full of dullards a country where more than 98% of consumable goods and products have to be imported recently it was cooked jollof rice, rice and beans, melon soup (gbegiri) all from India.; what about ladies tokunboh pants and braziers not to talk of animal hair from Brazil. Name it every thing is dollarised by the dullards. where is ELEGANZER industry today? the dullards prefer to go to China town spread over the major cities in the country to buy substandard Chinese products. See the way the dullards will handle just one American dollar compared with N1000 in their pockets .
We thank God with the present change begins with me policy of this administration we hope the dullards too will begin to change their lives to appreciate made in Nigeria goods.
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by onatisi(m): 7:07pm On Dec 06, 2016
microjobpays:
perfect money to what?
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by toprealman: 7:08pm On Dec 06, 2016
LoveMachine:

How could the Naira maintain its value with no savings, no major forex earning exports other than a diminished commodity in oil and a high import bill?
All the aforementioned can be EASILY resolved by developing and implementing good policies. It is not hard work trust me.
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by LoveMachine(m): 7:10pm On Dec 06, 2016
tiwiex:

Did u cheer the 97% 5% comment? Buhari caused that. That statement pretty much says. I will take ur money to take care of my own people. So, they lose nothing because it would have been spent up north. Buhari supporters love to avoid d root cause. The statement was not presidential at all.

I thought it was overblown. He said how could he give the same level of favor to the people who gave him more votes than people who didn't? I'm Igbo but I more than understood the sentiment. He has a main constituency that has supported him and he wants to repay them with stellar governance. What politician does otherwise? He never said he was going to not give us spectacular governance just that he would give them better. If you have 110 but I have 100 I'm not complaining.

His brothers in the North are claiming he has favored the South. But the the South claims he has sidelined them by giving everything to the North. He is trying but is being frustrated by all the people who want to continue with the status quo of stealing money. NASS finally didn't get to eat the budget. When the Lagos Calabar Rail was removed who made sure it was put back? Akpabio? Ben Bruce? Enugu's Finest? Nope it was PMB but he wants to take all the money to develop the North? He's not perfect he wants good for us all.

I'm not blinded by ethnicity. GEJ wore a red cap and in his years I suffered the most ever in my life. PMB rocks babanriga and the company I work for has been paid for every job we have done. Just ask Ifeanyi Ubah.

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by martyns303(m): 7:14pm On Dec 06, 2016
LoveMachine:

I thought it was overblown. He said how could he give the same level of favor to the people who gave him more votes than people who didn't? I'm Igbo but I more than understood the sentiment. He has a main constituency that has supported him and he wants to repay them with stellar governance. What politician does otherwise? He never said he was going to not give us spectacular governance just that he would give them better. If you have 110 but I have 100 I'm not complaining.

His brothers in the North are claiming he has favored the South. But the the South claims he has sidelined them by giving everything to the North. He is trying but is being frustrated by all the people who want to continue with the status quo of stealing money. NASS finally didn't get to eat the budget. When the Lagos Calabar Rail was removed who made sure it was put back? Akpabio? Ben Bruce? Enugu's Finest? Nope it was PMB but he wants to take all the money to develop the North? He's not perfect he wants good for us all.

I'm not blinded by ethnicity. GEJ wore a red cap and in his years I suffered the most ever in my life. PMB rocks babanriga and the company I work for has been paid for every job we have done. Just ask Ifeanyi Ubah.

So as long as the company u work for gets paid, the rest of the country can burn for all u care. No where in ur incoherent write up did u make any sense. The president of a country openly making a speech to favor a particular part of the country more based on votes and ur trying to justify him?

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by Nobody: 7:16pm On Dec 06, 2016
Let me cut in here, Nigerian's spending habits never changed. We experienced oil boom, Ngozi said we should save, the stupid governors, some who are in the Senate said they are withholding their national wealth. No igr initiative except Lagos, all the governors were doing was collecting allocation for their personal use, at the end of the day, salaries were still owed with no igr initiative. Buhari came in, Nigeria was on the brink, as in our house was on fire, 6 months, the Daura man did NOTHING while we were on danger red, JP Morgan and Barclays took over 22 billion dollars out of Nigeria and many other multinationals left because they saw no direction from the president. Even as at 2 weeks ago, imF said they are yet to see Buhari's economic policies. Nigeria was on the brink, no doubt when oil prices crashed but Buhari drove Nigeria into recession with neck breaking speed!!! If Barack Obama didn't take action when America experienced recession, they would have been like Greece or Spain by now. Let's stop that excuse of low oil prices, is Lagos State known for oil? No, but what drives Lagos State, commerce. Buhari came in unprepared, power lust and deceitful. But as Nigerian's we will survive till 2019.Amen.
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by LoveMachine(m): 7:17pm On Dec 06, 2016
AreaFada2:

Well part of leadership is to calm frail nerves and resolve crisis across the land. GEJ was lambasted over Boko Haram. With everyone knowing that both Boko, their local & international backers were all specifically against a Christian president & sought to frustrate him. Even APC leaders including Buhari said GEJ should not bomb Boko. "Fighting Boko Haram is fighting the North" Buhari said then. Until the international outcry over Chibok girls that Buhari wanted to cash in on, he never said anything against Boko. He wanted money/amnesty given to Boko like creek militants. He said it openly.

BUT oil flowed because beginning in Yar'Adua's tenure, Jonathan personally went to the creeks to discuss with the militants. Bombing drastically reduced & oil/money flowed. Oil did not flow by magic, but through efforts of FG of Yar'Adua and later of Jonathan's FG.

Why can't Buhari make oil flow? Is it not his job to pacify or win the militants?

Everytime PMB tries to dialogue they say he has slighted them and they resume bombing. If he brings one team the bombers say the team is not recognized. If he brings another then it's another story. When has a president ever been openly threatened to not enter a territory to avoid being assassinated? If he tries to be diplomatic he is played as if he is weak. If he tries force he is played like he is a tyrant.

As far as BH business PMB did wrong in his statements. I don't support any of his actions other than sending those bastards to Allah with bombs and bullets. But GEJ handled that wrong in every way. He didn't respond to the Chibok Girls for days. Mama Peace was twerking on that man while territory was being snatched.

Both administrations have their short comings. I'm not happy with any of these people. They are all failing at present but I will be honest and say that the Naira's fall has been aided by the pipeline destruction.
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by onatisi(m): 7:18pm On Dec 06, 2016
[quote author=supersystemsng post=51692416][/quote]
The bitter truth is that this government has lost total control of the economy. And that fact is what adeoaun and the cbn governor are trying to cover-up. The truth is that if this government doesn't get a loan by the end of january till February,THEY WILL PRINT MORE NAIRA NOTES. I have been saying this that this is what buhari will eventually resort to. Just wait.
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by LoveMachine(m): 7:21pm On Dec 06, 2016
supersystemsng:

Now you're debating at my level... I love this when you knew this why didn't you siimply say balance the imbalance caused by imports than turn the other diirection ? IIf you insulted me, it's not today, people are reaading, we ought to educate people and not give partial or non-truths... No be you buy my MB, go ahead and insult

The import and export has been there and could be managed but the fall of oil production shocked the system to no end. There was no forex coming in. You know good and well NDA's mission statement was to cause a "Red Economy." They have succeeded. I didn't bomb the pipelines. Don't be mad at me.
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by LoveMachine(m): 7:22pm On Dec 06, 2016
soulpeppersoup:

That is not true. It is not the reason

If you know the answer please enlighten us. Inquiring minds wanna know.
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by Henry1006(m): 7:22pm On Dec 06, 2016
Chai!!!
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by LoveMachine(m): 7:24pm On Dec 06, 2016
Izonpikin:
tell buhari to remove the military from the niger delta...

When there is no military presence NDA blows pipelines. When there is military presence NDA blows pipelines. When he tries to dialogue they blow pipelines. When he uses force they blow pipelines. It seems to me like they just wanna blow up some pipelines.
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by Yyeske(m): 7:28pm On Dec 06, 2016
martyns303:

We are all kids, ur the only grown person. Well grandpa I think ur having Dementia.... GEJ saved, ask Amaechi who alongside the APC took the federal govt. To court and requested that money from the reserve be shared.
OBJ and Yar'adua saved the ECA to about 21 billion dollars, GEJ was spending the money from that account without involving the the states as required by law, the FG was to have 54% of the share, states and LGA the rest. After it was shared, the FG had about 2.1 billion as its share.

That means the FG had only 4-5 billion in the account when it was shared

Ask GEJ what he used the deficit for before Amaechi and the rest demanded states and LGA share
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by chukuli(m): 7:37pm On Dec 06, 2016
freeze001:

Don't cry if u cheered n supported the election of the ignorant bigot in office, this is just a bit of the results.
buahri is a goat,mind u,a he-goat
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by LoveMachine(m): 7:41pm On Dec 06, 2016
martyns303:

So as long as the company u work for gets paid, the rest of the country can burn for all u care. No where in ur incoherent write up did u make any sense. The president of a country openly making a speech to favor a particular part of the country more based on votes and ur trying to justify him?

Critical reading skills are important. I'm saying that his government is honorable. Talk to all the contractors that have been paid. Contracts that have been outstanding for over a decade are being paid off. It's not only my employer but many. That's why I mentioned Ubah. He's been critical of PMB but he even said he found it odd/ironic/funny that PMB was the one who cleared his outstanding balance and not GEJ.

Poster after poster says the same thing. All we need in the SE is power and roads and we will do the rest. PMB is doing that and more but at every turn people are upset. GEJ told us everything we wanted to hear and for 6 years gave us nothing. PMB has talked tough but is actually getting work done. Barring paucity of funds things would definitely be moving for us all.

As I said if someone gives me everything I need what problem would I have if he gives another group something extra for their support?

My write up was very easy to digest. You're looking for flaws where there are none. Stop trying to argue just the sake of arguing.

Enjoy your L.
Re: Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 by HenryThegreat1(m): 7:48pm On Dec 06, 2016
cbn is mmm that caused it oooooo. abi na lie my fellow participants.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Naira Appreciates To ₦‎1,280/$ At Parallel Market / Youngest Billionaire Still Bikes To Work / Nigerians Vent Their Anger On CBN, Bankers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.