Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,116 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:06 AM

Character Design/Animation Challenge - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Character Design/Animation Challenge (12573 Views)

How To Draw And Paint Comic Style Character Easy. / I need laptop recommendation to buy For Graphic Design & Animation / Solidworks 2D/3D Design/Animation/Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:17am On Dec 07, 2016
Hi artists,
Trust we are all doing well and pushing our boundaries!
Here's what I propose...
a 3-part exercise where interested artists

(a) conceptualize and design an African god character (I suggest an African god like Ogun)
(b) model the character, and lastly
(c) rig and animate the character to a simple script we decide.

Anyone may participate, and the key focus is on sharing workflows and learning from each other.
We can give a week (or so) to each part of the challenge, also the variety of exercises gives artists with different skill sets the opportunity to participate in some part or all of the exercises.

if anyone is interested, please indicate so we can work out the finer details.

Cheers

PS:
This is primarily for personal development, egos should be left at home!
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:33am On Dec 07, 2016
I am not well versed on the attributes of Ogun.

Pulled the following off the internet, it describes the attributes of Ogun.
This can form the guidelines for the conceptualization and design exercise.

ATTRIBUTES OF OGUN

A hunter.
Descended by a spider’s thread.
Addicted to the savage sports of hunting and carnage.
Doesn’t adjust easily to community life, so he lived at Ori-Oke, the Top of the Hill.
After descending from Ori-Oke he attired himself in fresh palm fronds.
The pioneer divinity.
Iron, steel and any implements made of them belong to him.
He gives the finishing touches to the creative work of Orisa-nla.
In charge of circumcision, tribal marks, tattooing, and surgical operations.
The divinity of war and warriors; artisans, smiths, engineers, mechanics, all engine drivers and machine minders, and all who use anything made of iron or steel.
Presides over oaths, covenant-making or cementing of pacts.
He demands justice, fair play and rectitude.
Implements are metal scraps, wrought or graven; peregun; a rock or piece of rock; tusk or tail of an elephant.

Input is most welcome
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 07, 2016
I am Phucking Interested....huhuhu.

forgive d french

where r all the CG guys? Food don land oo
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 4:20pm On Dec 07, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNqI37skf1o

hi kazuna. nice to have you on-board!

more interested artists pls?
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 5:54pm On Dec 07, 2016
Hope i can use this to further sharpen my modelling skills,hope there would be a reference pix to work with??
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 9:01pm On Dec 07, 2016
@princealex
you are welcome.
the first exercise where we conceptualize and design the character will create the reference art, unless no 2d artists sign up, in which case we can select some challenging concept art off the web.

more participants please
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 8:21am On Dec 08, 2016
just to inspire creative ideas

I personally would love to see a more cartoony rendering of a god.

1 Like

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 8:24am On Dec 08, 2016
will check for any concept art that is cartoony.

i hope we come up with a unique design that feels African and original, not following the western stereotype.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 12:35pm On Dec 08, 2016
Nice photos,ready when you are.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 3:07pm On Dec 08, 2016
OKX:
will check for any concept art that is cartoony.

i hope we come up with a unique design that feels African and original, not following the western stereotype.

Tongue in cheek....Sometgin not African x unoriginal
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 12:45pm On Dec 09, 2016
morning guys.

I'm thinking, if no 2d artist joins the character design exercise by the end of the weekend, we may just select a model from any of the images above and proceed to the modeling, rigging exercise.

what say ye?
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 3:31pm On Dec 09, 2016
Those characters up there are way too graphic to model commendably without a reference pix,am not saying its impossible,but would sure take a hassle to get it done
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 09, 2016
when do we start? I got a lot of time in my hands now
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 11:05pm On Dec 09, 2016
Well, hassle is the name of the game.

Since no 2d artists seem to be signing on, we can modify the challenge to include creating the model based on the concept art from any image above or any other we choose.

That way we can kick off pending any other, willing to join.

What say ye?

Personally I kinda like Chaaca, he's the God of Rain from the game Smite. That's the chap wielding the axe (the illustration before Shango)
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 12:05pm On Dec 10, 2016
That being the case i would suggest each of us to choose any of the above characters as preferred,if thats agreed on then mine is shango...
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 12:16pm On Dec 10, 2016
I like Chaca...hes more dramatic and colorful....and thos muscles could sure command both Thunder and brush strokes.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 10:26pm On Dec 10, 2016
or we can divide it this way...Either princealex or I, kazuna, Models and the other one rigs.

Or One of does both modeling and rigging whilst the other takes care of the animation/rendering?
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 1:59pm On Dec 11, 2016
Nice idea kazuna,division of labour the first step of encouraging team work,if only more CG artist would think like this wonder where we would have been??

Am yet to see a .blend file shared on NL
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 4:43pm On Dec 11, 2016
Hi guys,
OK. I would suggest we all model so we can trade tips.

We can upload our models n then proceed to rig any or all of them, and then animate to an agreed upon script.

I still kinda like Chaaca. But I like the idea of picking a model u like, it's always more fun working on a character u connect with.

I'm guessing both of you use blender.

I like the teamwork idea, let's see how to implement it during animating. Maybe break down the script and take a scene each.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 6:06pm On Dec 11, 2016
ok, starting Chaca this week...
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 9:28pm On Dec 11, 2016
even though I can only model chairs and tables....I love the adventure u guys are embarking upon. I really wished to be part of it but my skill has denied me. but I Dan lay my mat 4 here. I want to see how everything rolls out to be. please guys, post pictures of your progress of our own chacha so that we novice can learn. I am also willing to b of help if there is any need aside modelling. by d way kazuna , when u go start your tutorial now even. I am sure people like me are waiting for u to get started. good luck to u guys
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 2:22am On Dec 12, 2016
tirigbosa:
even though I can only model chairs and tables....I love the adventure u guys are embarking upon. I really wished to be part of it but my skill has denied me. but I Dan lay my mat 4 here. I want to see how everything rolls out to be. please guys, post pictures of your progress of our own chacha so that we novice can learn. I am also willing to b of help if there is any need aside modelling. by d way kazuna , when u go start your tutorial now even. I am sure people like me are waiting for u to get started. good luck to u guys

chai, i forgot i made that promise, tirigbosa....Dont worry, I got u covered. Give me before 23rd.

Right now, its Chacha
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 8:57pm On Dec 12, 2016
Then am goin on with shango
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:20pm On Dec 12, 2016
OK then.
Work officially commences from tomorrow.

Let's paste lots of shots of our work in progress detailing our technique n workflow.

The aim is knowledge trade, remember.

I suggest a week, max for this stage.

I intend to use Maya and Mudbox for d modeling.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 9:52pm On Dec 13, 2016
Tonight, hopefully i will kick off.

Tools to use: Blender and Houdini

Tools i would ve love to use: Zbrush or mudbox...but i dont know how to use em....lol

As I see this em, this chaca aparel will be the hardest part.

OKX, O kwa You said Sango used palm fronds as loin cloth....lol

Supremely loving this collabo....
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 12:14am On Dec 14, 2016
I am waiting to c all the shots
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 12:15am On Dec 14, 2016
I am waiting to c all the shots
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 6:23am On Dec 14, 2016
@kazuna
yeah, according to an online post on Ogun, he attired himself in fronds.

I will use the Chaac illustration as a base reference and still slightly modify him to reflect Ogun traits.

I will commence today. Below is my rough workflow outline

STEP 1: Collect all the reference material I can get on Chaac.
STEP 2: Modify and create image planes for my main character model.
STEP 3: Create separate image planes for his accessories, mask, shield etc.
STEP 4: Model main character without accessories.
STEP 5: Model accessories.
STEP 6: Lay out UVs.
STEP 7: Texture.
STEP 8: Rigging.
STEP 9: Animating to our script.
STEP 10: Rendering or Playblasting.

Happy modeling, will post step by step updates. Remember we have just a week.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 3:51pm On Dec 15, 2016
okay, so i started last night.

I created concept art for my character and his helmet/mask, drawing inspiration from the palm frond thingy.
I had started on the head model when i remembered that most of it would be hidden by the mask, so i stopped and switched to modeling the mask instead.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 3:54pm On Dec 15, 2016
starting on the mask, with the low res head model as a reference to build the mask around.

i didn't draw a detailed reference for any of the models, since i am also freestyling as i work.

1 Like

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 3:56pm On Dec 15, 2016
beginning with the nose piece and extruding out to form the base of the stylized palm-tree.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 4:01pm On Dec 15, 2016
I alternately hide and show the model of the head as I model the elements of the mask around the head.

I foresee this as being a high res model (since we didn't set a poly-limit), but i will use a combination of textures, normal and displacement maps to create the more intricate details.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

U, Me and Our Work of Art - All form of ARTS are WELCOME! / Graphic Designers How Long Do You Take To Complete A Project? / Professional Logo Designer: The Best On Nairaland. Period!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.