Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,662 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

Character Design/Animation Challenge - Art, Graphics & Video (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Character Design/Animation Challenge (12706 Views)

How To Draw And Paint Comic Style Character Easy. / I need laptop recommendation to buy For Graphic Design & Animation / Solidworks 2D/3D Design/Animation/Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 6:31pm On Dec 20, 2016
UPDATE ON SHANGO;so I finished the modelling of the body and clothes on wednesday,then went on to model the hammer on thursday also marked seams and did some UV mapping before taking a break throughout the weekend to relax my head(modelling sure takes alot from your body if not soul..lol).

1st FOUR PIX:Modelling steps for the hammer,sorry its not very detailed,I do get carried away sometimes and forget to take snapshots.Anyways ,its all basics,I simply extruded faces,add edge loops,scale,rotate et al,any questions as regards that is highly welcomed.

PIX 5&6:Marking of seams around the model,again not very detailed #apology tendered#

PIC 7&8:Selecting and unwrapping the model,as well as adding a checkered pattern texture just to make sure the UVs are laid right.once again apology tender for not making it comprehensive enough.

1 Share

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 7:00pm On Dec 20, 2016
Pix 5-8

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 7:05pm On Dec 20, 2016
@prince
wow, i love your concept of the hammer....especially the intertwined handle.
cant wait to see it fully textured!

would be fun to see him go head to head with ogun...lol
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 7:21pm On Dec 20, 2016
Moving on,on monday I gathered some fabric textures from textures.com for the inner dress,flaps and designed some using photoshop for the body armour and guides,I prefer adding material and textures than texture painting kindof more flexible and realistic to me BTW I used a skin texture for the body and if you notice any greyish blemish on the skin its an effect from the velvet shader I added to the skin material just to see if I can get close to the skin texture on the ref pix and it spreads across the skin pending on the direction of light,then today I applied the materials and textures accordingly and did a front,side and upclose render.

PIX 1&2: Textures designed in photoshop for the hand and leg guides as well as the body armour.

PIX 3&4: Front and side renders.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 7:34pm On Dec 20, 2016
Moving on,on monday I gathered some fabric textures from textures.com for the inner dress,flaps and designed some using photoshop for the body armour and guides,I prefer adding material and textures than texture painting kindof more flexible and realistic to me BTW I used a skin texture for the body and if you notice any greyish blemish on the skin its an effect from the velvet shader I added to the skin material just to see if I can get close to the skin texture on the ref pix and it spreads across the skin pending on the direction of light,then today I applied the materials and textures accordingly and did a front,side and upclose render.

PIX 1&2: Textures designed in photoshop for the hand and leg guides as well as the body armour.

PIX 3&4:Applying textures and front render.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 7:37pm On Dec 20, 2016
OKX:
@prince
wow, i love your concept of the hammer....especially the intertwined handle.
cant wait to see it fully textured!

would be fun to see him go head to head with ogun...lol

thanks but its not actually my concept just sticking to the script(ref pix),.........hmm,about going head to head,i think i would let the gods decide lol.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 7:40pm On Dec 20, 2016
weldone brosss....good job
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 8:43pm On Dec 20, 2016
@prince
Nice. Does he get a shield?

We will wait for kazuna and then decide on what action to animate our characters to.
Good going.

Haven't had time to work on my axe n shield, but will do something tonight.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 9:17pm On Dec 20, 2016
Thanks for the comments,but am not getting the picture quality I expect so am doing a re- render,@ okx he doesnt get a shield I modelled strictly based on the ref pix,heres the upclose render of the first render;

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 9:40pm On Dec 20, 2016
Still

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 11:38pm On Dec 20, 2016
Last render

1 Share

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 11:39pm On Dec 20, 2016
mehn, I still have a long way to go o
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 11:52pm On Dec 20, 2016
We all do @tirigbosa,this is still basics as far as modelling is concerned.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 12:10am On Dec 21, 2016
ok, decided to model an elephant-inspired shield and a simple axe for our chap.

i think i will give him more pendants on his neck and some swinging chain links between his lower armour (not decided yet)
in any case that will depend on what we are animating him to.

did a basic rig just to test his pose with the weapons, not quite sure if the weapons inspire god-like fear...lol

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by eroski90(m): 6:08am On Dec 21, 2016
fighal:
I'm not competing. just wanna show a character I modeled dis morning. Still learning tho... my first character model
Bro you can't go to make human and get modify models then come here and say that's ur model ...please that's fraud ....learn how to model from scratch ...its quite fufiling ..bless u
Just stumbled on this tread I will participate in this competition just for fun .......will post when I can
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by eroski90(m): 6:08am On Dec 21, 2016
Good job
OKX:
ok, decided to model an elephant-inspired shield and a simple axe for our chap.

i think i will give him more pendants on his neck and some swinging chain links between his lower armour (not decided yet)
in any case that will depend on what we are animating him to.

did a basic rig just to test his pose with the weapons, not quite sure if the weapons inspire god-like fear...lol
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 10:12pm On Dec 21, 2016
so, I deleted half of the head and went on modelling the rest.....but to my disappointed now when I mirrored the model, the mouth Dan join...someone should put me through, pls.
I Dan do everything I know.how can I separate it? please.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 10:21pm On Dec 21, 2016
that mouth though

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 12:08am On Dec 22, 2016
@tirigbosa
your determination is admirable....well done bro!

when you mirrored the object, under the polymirror tab in the attribute editor, there is a node called "merge threshold".
it should be under the polygon mirror attributes, adjust the value (usually lowering to about 0.001 works)
tweak the value until u get one that allows your object be mirrored without joining vertices undesirably.

i mirrored half of a simple sphere in the attached picture to show you what the tab should look like. i highlighted the node that you need to adjust, in yellow.

let me know if this helps

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 7:44am On Dec 22, 2016
thanks okx, those vilians called NEPA Dan murder the light. will check it up when light comes
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 1:16pm On Dec 22, 2016
@eroski
You are very welcome to join...look forward to your work-in-progress screen shots.

It's a personal challenge tho, not a competition.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 5:26pm On Dec 22, 2016
phcn can really frustrate.....

i resided at festac for a month now and could count on my fingers d numbr of times we got Phcn.

finally am back home to my base, constant light.

Apologies all.

Tirigbosa, ur enthusiasm can make the moon a Sun.

Thank Lord for this competition, i ve discovered several weaknesses wt my sculpts....xter clothing with hard surfaces x still my headache.

So i decided to cheat....lol

instead of raffia/frond like loin clothe, i went for wrapper.

Will qiickly roughen out a hammer this evenin...

I camt do dat helmet thingy now, esp since i am way behind the team....you guys are texturing, i am still sculptin...Chai. Phcm, phcn ,phcn, how many times i call u.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 6:22pm On Dec 22, 2016
I would really love to see Nigerians coming together to produce a high quality animated videos and with what am seeing here, am impressed. Whenever you guys decide to take it to the next level, pm me.. Am a vocalist. Am not good with creating of characters, but i can give life with my voice lol..

Keep it up guys.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 8:22pm On Dec 22, 2016
Welcome back kazuna,seems you have a thing for detailed anatomy,noticed the extra attention you gave to the butt...lol

@okx i would have love the axe to have a larger head with some crazy sharp points and the shield should have been a roaring lions head instead of an elephant which is less intimidating(just tossing ideas)

@tirigbosa you are gradually becoming a threat with the pace at which you are going.

Wanted to change the skin texture of shango to a dark one,model his teeth,uv map the hammer and add textures to make it more realistic,then,add some thunder strikes to his skin before rigging but no power since yesterday no thanks to Ikedc,also i notice the body proportion of shango isnt right,if you noticed that,its because the ref pix for the head,neck to ankle and feet are entirely different,one of the reason i dont like modelling without a single symmetric ref pix,anyway the show must go on.

Happy holidays
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 9:26pm On Dec 22, 2016
@kazuna
Really loving your character!
It just has something truly African about it.

I also think the wrapper thingy works well with the overall feel...maybe a few more folds on the wrapper.

It's great that the exercise is highlighting areas you need to focus on, that's exactly the aim.

Let's aim at ending modeling and texturing this week so we can rig and animate next week.

Great job so far man!
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 9:31pm On Dec 22, 2016
@henry
Nice of you to appreciate, there are actually loads of talented artists both on this forum and others, as we overcome our egos and learn to synergize, we shall soon begin collaborating on great projects.

Would be nice if you offered to supply a voice sample for us to animate to. That could be a start.

Thanks
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 9:34pm On Dec 22, 2016
@prince
Nice ideas, I will implement them to test.
I chose an elephant just because it was reflected in the attributes of Ogun, but I agree the lion would be way cooler!

Will dream up a more imaginative axe.

Thanks

PS:
An average person is about 7 and a half heads high, so you can use that as a guide regardless of your reference.
Heroes are usually portrayed as 8 heads high
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 10:25pm On Dec 22, 2016
@okx , u r a Maya guru o. the merge threshold did the magic.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 10:28pm On Dec 22, 2016
@princealex, kaz, okx...so, I did a little more pushing around of vertices and sculpting nonsense..... at last sha, I have a standing model. even though he looks cartoons...twas because I was modelling from the funny side of my brain.

1 Share

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:29pm On Dec 22, 2016
@tirigbosa
Glad I could help.
Lol....what I don't know far surpasses what I do know. I just happened to know this.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 10:30pm On Dec 22, 2016
u guys have really helped me model my first human xter....i am feeling fulfilled that those time i modelled table and chair
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 10:33pm On Dec 22, 2016
OKX:
@tirigbosa
Glad I could help.
Lol....what I don't know far surpasses what I do know. I just happened to know this.

my neck almost broke yesterday cause of that mouth ...... now , make I give him eyes and accessories , them give him skin. chai....I'm gradually becoming an animator sha...lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Professional Logo Designer: The Best On Nairaland. Period! / To Become A Video Editor / U, Me and Our Work of Art - All form of ARTS are WELCOME!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.