Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire (3497 Views)

All Current HMD Nokia Smartphones Will Get Android 8 Oreo Update / Update On My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire / Tecno C9 Or Tecno W5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by wemeri: 2:09pm On Dec 09, 2016
Apparently, Techno C9 phones has joined the league of mobile phones catching fire.
Yesterday, Thursday, 8th December, At about 12 noon while in the office, I realized that the battery of my recently purchased Tecno C9 phone was at 32% so as I always do, I plugged to the electric outlet beside my table.
After about one hour, I remembered that I was supposed to have received a phone call I was expecting and I decided to confirm if my phone wasn’t on silent mode. As soon as I picked up my phone, a very strong smell of electric burn hit my nose and the phone was very hot. In an attempt to disconnect the charger, the cable came off completely burnt leaving the head of the charger still inside the charging port of the phone. I had to wait a while for the phone to cool off before I was able to pull out the remaining part of the charger from the phone.
Apparently, the charger had been melting into the phone. It was a good thing that I checked the phone at the time I did, otherwise the damage would have been worse. Upon further investigation, I realized that it was only the charging port and the mouthpiece that had been affected by the burn.
This incident brings into remembrance stories on the internet about houses being burnt down as a result of a charging phone placed on a bed. And I would forever be grateful to God that is happened in my office and not at home as I sometime place my phone on my bed while it is charging.

My Experience at the Tecno Service Center

Today, Friday, 9th Dec,2016. I went to the CarlCare center on 125, Amodu Ojikutu, Victoria Island. Apparently, they are the exclusive authorized service center of Tecno, Infinix, Itel and Syinix devices.
On getting there, I was attended to by a lady at the reception called Bukola and after explaining to her, she went on to carry on her investigation and came back to tell me that it was a physical damage incident and I had to pay for the damaged parts to be fixed.
I was seriously disappointed by this considering that my phone as at the time of this incident, my phone was being charged in my office which also houses and provides power to several huge telecoms devices. And aside from my phone, no other devices or phones used by my colleagues had electrical fault.
I asked for a policy document which stated clearly how factory defects where being differentiated from physical damages and she directed me to a board in the reception. Upon going thru the information on the board, I realized that they was no mention of electrical burn as a physical damage.
So I insisted on refusing to accept it as a physical damage but rather a factory defect. Bukola , thereafter, referred me up to a higher person, a lady named “Rotimi” who I found out was in charge of the center. After explaining myself once again to Rotimi, she responded ( with not even the slightest remorse) that since I insist that it is a factory defect, she would have to refer me to their head office in Opebi as they don’t deal with factory defect cases here in their VI office.
This particular action, I sincerely believe was a deliberate act to punish me for refusing to accept it was a physical damage and just pay up for the request because I do not want to believe that all factory defect cases brought to the VI center are sent to the Opebi HQ and I seriously take this as an offence to my person as a customer.
Tecno and Carlcare really need to begin to treat their customers better. They cannot expect us to pay for their errors. It isn’t done anywhere in the world and I refuse to accept that sort of treatment in Nigeria.
I would be visiting the Opebi office tomorrow and I sincerely hope that their customer service is way better that what I experienced in the VI branch.

UPDATE

In the last post, a lot of people mentioned the possibility of it being a current surged issue. As much as I agree with them on the likelihood of this, I particularly believe that incident wasn't as a result of current surge.

I am an engineer, currently working with a telecoms firm. There are high end telecoms devices which also feed from the same power source as my phone and up till now, the facilities management guys have not reported any power surge in the companies power supply on that day also, none of the devices was shut down or even had a fluctuation on that day.

Incidentally,i also have 2 colleagues who also use the Techno C9 in my office and both of them had their phones plugged in at the same time as mine and didn't experience any issues with their phones.

All of this and some more investigations carried out made me come to the conclusion that it was a manufacturers defect on my phone.

I know my saying that my phone caught fire might have seemed like an exaggeration but with the situation and temperature that it was when it was discovered, there is no better way that i could have explained it.

Firstly, i was lucky to have seen it at the time that i did, (I still believe it was divine intervention) , and i was able to rescued it before it got worse. If you look closely at the picture, you would notice that the back cover of the phone was already melting. That showed that either the back cover was made with cheap plastic or the temperature of the burn was very high, enough to begin to melt the cover.

Also, the phone was placed on a non combustible surface which also helped minimise the extent of the burn. Imagine if it was place on a mattress, I am sure we would be telling a different story.

As planned, i visited the carlcare service center in opebi on Saturday and i confirmed that I was indeed being punished. the punishment was not in the stress of having to go to the office but rather in the quality of service being offered to customers by the organisation.
Apparently, VI guys are the good guys.
After interacting with the supervisor at the Opebi office as well as a couple of front desk attendants, I can confidently say that insensitivity to customer needs in addition to rudeness and arrogance is actually the organisations culture.

I wonder if it is because they are currently the only service center for tecno phones.

i look forward to other organisations coming up and giving them stiff competition.

In the end, i was "FORCED" to pay for the repairs of my phone without any concrete and valid reason as to why i have to and all because the company policy (which i was not privy to until that day) says i should.

I look forward to picking up my phone in good condition tomorrow.

3 Likes

Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by Emescot(m): 2:12pm On Dec 09, 2016
Maybe its the electric current or maybe over-charging, just close your eyes and repair it before they refer you to their main office in Ghana grin

2 Likes

Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by wemeri: 2:32pm On Dec 09, 2016
Emescot:
Maybe its the electric current or maybe over-charging, just close your eyes and repair it before they refer you to their main office in Ghana grin

Lollls

Isssokay.....
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by Tallesty1(m): 2:53pm On Dec 09, 2016
The damage no too much when you look at it from outside.
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by Eleniyan15: 2:58pm On Dec 09, 2016
grin
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by joespiceman(m): 2:58pm On Dec 09, 2016
chai like play like play ç9 don don get heat period
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by sod09(m): 4:45pm On Dec 09, 2016
u said it like its d entire phone like Samsung....
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by Fundango: 7:46pm On Dec 09, 2016
Hope that was not another BOMB grin in da making. grin

Well Oups!wish you good luck.
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by nenergy(m): 9:27pm On Dec 09, 2016
Sad! Please update us. Success.
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by zeanslim(m): 10:23pm On Dec 09, 2016
sad news, most of Carl care outlet's deals with softwares and Common damages like screen etc... yours look likes the motherboard if fully gone.. that's why you are been redirected to a place where they can investigate better , repair or replace.. talking from experience.
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by francis247(m): 11:11pm On Dec 09, 2016
Emescot:
LMAO. Or the one in China

2 Likes

Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by piperson(m): 12:55am On Dec 10, 2016
camon C9

boko haram in disguise

1 Like

Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by Nastydroid(m): 1:06am On Dec 10, 2016
undecided
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by DonX001: 6:44am On Dec 10, 2016
Nigerians and exaggeration of incidents.

See me dey find OP's phone wey burn like firewood.

Caught fire ko, exploded like atomic bomb ni.
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by easrael(f): 8:34am On Dec 10, 2016
He's actually lying

He can't even spell Tecno well and you're framing it up again....

The pictures don't even look like one a regular person took

FAKE THREAD
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by PMONEY6: 9:08am On Dec 10, 2016
My brother their motive to punish you for not accepting it as a physical damage is very CLEAR.
no bother going to opebi Cus Hongkong headquarters is next.

3 Likes

Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by Norman4real(m): 9:54am On Dec 10, 2016
How much is the repair cost that got u all worked up like this... Bro just pay and get done with it, those guys at carlcare just be insensitive like that, they'll push u around all year long for nothing.
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by seunfly: 11:00am On Dec 10, 2016
Can't u get a lawyer? U can actually file a suit against them and I hope u document how they acted to u in the other centre.
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by debque(m): 11:08am On Dec 10, 2016
chai...c as I enter thread expecting to c a phone exploded n burnt beyond recognition... op n exaggeration...smh
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by shiftback: 11:51am On Dec 10, 2016
warranty is for manufacturer defect, this one is probably caused by power surge and you have to foot the bill.
They have an office in opebi, just go there.

1 Like

Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 10, 2016
Probably a power surge
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by jerrysense: 11:54am On Dec 10, 2016
na wa ooo n my own neva catch fire?...abi you plug am for transformer? grin

1 Like

Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by MizMyColi(f): 11:59am On Dec 10, 2016
shiftback:
warranty is for manufacturer defect, this one is probably caused by power surge and you have to foot the bill.
They have an office in opebi, just go there.

This is my point too.

OP I'm sorry for your predicament, but from the pictures you posted, this is clearly a power surge issue.

I can see that the charger got burnt as well, this shows that the mains is either faulty or there was a power surge you weren't aware of.

When I saw this thread caption, I was almost discouraged about C9, but having read the full post, NO Shaking. I can still get the device when I wish to.
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by MizMyColi(f): 12:03pm On Dec 10, 2016
sod09:
u said it like its d entire phone like Samsung....

I saw the caption and I feared that Tecno is the new Samsung.

I smell exaggeration on OP's part though. He should have been sure of the cause before trying to discourage prospective buyers and those who already own the device.

Tecno might be a lot of things, but they are certainly not mobile fire manufacturers.

C9 still got my love and best wisheskiss
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by Sulaymanmeek(m): 12:05pm On Dec 10, 2016
I think it is entirely unreasonable and unfair to blame the Manufacturer on a situation like this.
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by Sulaymanmeek(m): 12:06pm On Dec 10, 2016
Same here! I almost got discouraged! but then again I'm just N3k away from purchasing one, grin grin grin

MizMyColi:

This is my point too.

OP I'm sorry for your predicament, but from the pictures you posted, this is clearly a power surge issue.

I can see that the charger got burnt as well, this shows that the mains is either faulty or there was a power surge you weren't aware of.

When I saw this thread caption, I was almost discouraged about C9, but having read the full post, NO Shaking. I can still get the device when I wish to.

Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by Sulaymanmeek(m): 12:07pm On Dec 10, 2016
Wow! Just wow....
You think it's that easy to file a law suit? NO. not even when you're having little or no evidence to proove embarassed
seunfly:
Can't u get a lawyer? U can actually file a suit against them and I hope u document how they acted to u in the other centre.
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by sod09(m): 12:18pm On Dec 10, 2016
MizMyColi:

I saw the caption and I feared that Tecno is the new Samsung.

I smell exaggeration on OP's part though. He should have been sure of the cause before trying to discourage prospective buyers and those who already own the device.

Tecno might be a lot of things, but they are certainly not mobile fire manufacturers.

C9 still got my love and best wisheskiss
dont mind d op just d charging port ND charger
probably high current passing through
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by Orator2383: 12:24pm On Dec 10, 2016
wemeri:
Apparently, Techno C9 phones has joined the league of mobile phones catching fire.
Yesterday, Thursday, 8th December, At about 12 noon while in the office, I realized that the battery of my recently purchased Tecno C9 phone was at 32% so as I always do, I plugged to the electric outlet beside my table.
After about one hour, I remembered that I was supposed to have received a phone call I was expecting and I decided to confirm if my phone wasn’t on silent mode. As soon as I picked up my phone, a very strong smell of electric burn hit my nose and the phone was very hot. In an attempt to disconnect the charger, the cable came off completely burnt leaving the head of the charger still inside the charging port of the phone. I had to wait a while for the phone to cool off before I was able to pull out the remaining part of the charger from the phone.
Apparently, the charger had been melting into the phone. It was a good thing that I checked the phone at the time I did, otherwise the damage would have been worse. Upon further investigation, I realized that it was only the charging port and the mouthpiece that had been affected by the burn.
This incident brings into remembrance stories on the internet about houses being burnt down as a result of a charging phone placed on a bed. And I would forever be grateful to God that is happened in my office and not at home as I sometime place my phone on my bed while it is charging.

My Experience at the Tecno Service Center

Today, Friday, 9th Dec,2016. I went to the CarlCare center on 125, Amodu Ojikutu, Victoria Island. Apparently, they are the exclusive authorized service center of Tecno, Infinix, Itel and Syinix devices.
On getting there, I was attended to by a lady at the reception called Bukola and after explaining to her, she went on to carry on her investigation and came back to tell me that it was a physical damage incident and I had to pay for the damaged parts to be fixed.
I was seriously disappointed by this considering that my phone as at the time of this incident, my phone was being charged in my office which also houses and provides power to several huge telecoms devices. And aside from my phone, no other devices or phones used by my colleagues had electrical fault.
I asked for a policy document which stated clearly how factory defects where being differentiated from physical damages and she directed me to a board in the reception. Upon going thru the information on the board, I realized that they was no mention of electrical burn as a physical damage.
So I insisted on refusing to accept it as a physical damage but rather a factory defect. Bukola , thereafter, referred me up to a higher person, a lady named “Rotimi” who I found out was in charge of the center. After explaining myself once again to Rotimi, she responded ( with not even the slightest remorse) that since I insist that it is a factory defect, she would have to refer me to their head office in Opebi as they don’t deal with factory defect cases here in their VI office.
This particular action, I sincerely believe was a deliberate act to punish me for refusing to accept it was a physical damage and just pay up for the request because I do not want to believe that all factory defect cases brought to the VI center are sent to the Opebi HQ and I seriously take this as an offence to my person as a customer.
Tecno and Carlcare really need to begin to treat their customers better. They cannot expect us to pay for their errors. It isn’t done anywhere in the world and I refuse to accept that sort of treatment in Nigeria.
I would be visiting the Opebi office tomorrow and I sincerely hope that their customer service is way better that what I experienced in the VI branch.
This OP self!!! it's your charger that got burnt not the Camon C9 but your caption says otherwise, u got me scared really. The burnt cord may be due to power surge or overloading of your sucket.
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by obataala(m): 12:30pm On Dec 10, 2016
sorry abt dat. I kn hw u are filin now, but u shud b glad it didn't affect d primary component. I want to ask, did u not go along with d burnt charger?. I think dat wuld hv haltered d desk officer's response to ur complaint, did u?. mayb it wouldn't hv bin seen as a physical damage, rather a current surge resulting in a short-circuit, wch is un attributable to them, as dey don't generate power let alone distribute. Guarantees does nt cover current surge, u must know, which is d closest attributable causative factor. My advice jux pay d service fees for it to be fixed so u don't start shuttling offices and speaking to people dat wunt help ur situation and valuable time nd energy wuld hv being expended.
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by johnstar(m): 12:56pm On Dec 10, 2016
So dis is wat is trending on phone issue nw bcus say samsung galaxy dey explode u self carry ur own wahala come here

Fvckn Attention seeker

I wonder wt dis one is up to
Op all d grammar u typed der, u dnt knw d meaning of caught fire?

Big fool

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand / Official Lollipop With New XUI For Infinix Hot Note / Superb Android Phone With 10,000 Mah Battery That Can Last Up To 15 Days.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.