Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Setting The Record Straight- Jehovah's Witnesses - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Setting The Record Straight- Jehovah's Witnesses (811 Views)

A Nairalander Wisdom Nwedene's Outfit To Jehovah's Witnesses Convention In Enugu / Ghanaian Man Chases Jehovah's Witnesses Out Of His House By Stripping Unclad / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Setting The Record Straight- Jehovah's Witnesses by Bauer1: 1:05am On Dec 13, 2016
A few days ago, a thread on Jehovah’s witnesses, where their loyalty to Jehovah and truthfulness of the organization was greatly smeared with lies, made first page (click here). I decided to look into all the claims and have come to see that it’s either the OP is out on a personal vendetta or he has carefully allowed false information to erode his power of reasoning. The fact that he attended a 3 day convention of Jehovah’s witnesses and yet has nothing positive to say about them is indeed proof enough of his bias disposition towards Jehovah’s witnesses. In this thread, I will do my best to set the record straight with a view to brevity. Now let’s get down to brass tacks.

The question of whether Jehovah’s witnesses believe in Jesus Christ
At the beginning of his long epistle, the OP said he couldn’t recall any talks about loyalty to Jesus Christ and said he stands corrected. He however, went on to assert this sentiment and made it seem like Jehovah’s witnesses do not give Jesus a prominent place in their worship. In view of this, I’d like the OP to check his program once more, on Friday at exactly 3:15, there was a talk titled “how Christ’s loyalty as high priest helps us.” At the first page of “The Watchtower” magazine it is clearly written and I quote in part, “the purpose of the watchtower is to exalt Jehovah God as sovereign lord of the universe… it encourages faith in God’s now reigning king, Jesus Christ, whose shed blood opens the way for mankind to gain eternal life.” Moreover, every Jehovah’s witness is actively involved in the preaching work, this has been their insignia from inception and is in obedience to Jesus’ command found at Matt. 28:19,20. Finally, it might interest you to know that the theme of the 2015 convention was “Imitate Jesus.” In light of all these, would you say Jehovah’s witnesses do not advocate loyalty to Jesus in their worship?

Loyalty to Jehovah or to the Governing body?
The OP further went on to say that the convention was not so much about loyalty to Jehovah as it was about loyalty to the governing body of Jehovah’s witnesses. The governing body of Jehovah’s witnesses are capable men who are in charge of giving spiritual food/truth to fellow witnesses. They are imperfect men just as the rest of their members and are no different from the apostles back then who were at the helm of Christian affairs, serving as a governing body with other capable men (Acts 15:22-29). Jesus is the head of the Christian congregation and he entrusted it to the faithful and discreet slave ( Matt. 24: 45,46) which is synonymous to the governing body today. Hebrews 13:17 encourages loyalty to these ones. These men as aforementioned, are imperfect and may sometimes come to a wrong conclusion about a particular bible verse. But it must be noted that as soon as these are realized, they are corrected with alacrity and the members understand these as refined truths as the book of proverbs 4:18 says, ‘’the light gets brighter.’’ The governing body encourages all to have a personal bible study in order to “use their power of discernment to distinguish between right and wrong” (Heb: 5:14). At the end of the watchtower a topic titled “questions from readers” is featured where answers to bible questions are given from the bible. This shows that the governing body does not force it’s members to just accept what they say, but to keep searching and confirming from the scriptures “whether these things are so” (Acts 17:11). Loyalty to Jehovah takes precedence over all else.

Persecution in Malawi Vs Bribery in Mexico
The OP accused the governing body of being responsible for the massacre and persecution of Jehovah’s witnesses in Malawi for making the witnesses take a stance that lack Biblical correlation. The witnesses were maimed, raped and killed in Malawi simply because they refused to buy party cards and also because they refused to wear a handband bearing the face of the president of Malawi- does this lack justification or biblical correlation as the OP so erroneously asserted? Not at all, Jehovah’s witnesses worldwide are known for their political neutrality, they believe in the kingdom of God as mankind’s only hope for salvation. While being obedient to governmental authorities, as long as it does not conflict with God’s righteous standards as contained in the bible, they do not involve themselves in the worlds’ political affairs. As Jesus followers, “they are no part of the world.” In view of this, is the OP right in blaming the governing body instead of the Malawian government for such inhumane acts?
The OP accused the governing body of turning a blind eye on the witnesses in Mexico bribing military officials to obtain a “cartilla.” It is clear that the OP googled this and, as he thrives on negativity, isolated websites with negative info about the witnesses. Here is a web page which exonerates the witnesses of such outrageous accusation and which the OP conveniently failed to mention, settingtherecordstraight.com.

Hiding paedophiles?
The OP accused Jehovah’s witnesses of hiding paedophiles. I wonder how this is so since such an act results in the disfellowship of the said member in accordance with 1Corr. 5:1-13, a situation which means that no JWs will associate with him. It is clear that the OP got the bulk of his info from certain papers in the internet. A wise man once said, foolish is the man who fails to read the newspapers (or info), and even more foolish is a man who believes everything he reads simply because it is in the papers ( or in this case, internet).

Worldwide Downsizing
The OP went on to accuse the governing body of having no feelings due to the downsizing of the Bethel homes worldwide. Bethel is the branch office of Jehovah’s witnesses and those who live there, stay there as temporary volunteers. When filling the bethel form, there are various questions such as duration of stay and type of skill possessed. The latter question has two purposes, that of pin pointing a particular area where you can serve better in bethel and that of having something to fall back on when you eventually leave. In Bethel, one functions in different capacities and acquires different skills which helps him survive even in the outside world. Many Bethelites worldwide were asked to go help in the local congregations at home, many were sent to where the need for kingdom evangelizers is greater. I wonder where the OP found these faithful brothers complaining.

Epica sound track in the paradise video
I will not attempt to say that the paradise video sound track and the epica eternal flame sound track ain’t identical. However, I would not be in much of hurry to discredit the watchtower and tract society without knowing all the facts. From the video where the calls to the branch office were made (which, by the way, we have no way of verifying its authenticity) the service department agent said all images and photos used in the magazines are paid for, that is to the original owners otherwise it would be a copywright which is punishable by the law. Hence, credit is usually given to the original owners at the cover pages of these magazines. However, there is no documentation of money being paid to audio machine and up till this moment audio machine has not sued the Watchtower for copy wright. Moreover, the organization has a lot of composers at their disposal, it would Make no sense to pay millions of dollars to a certain company known for Satanism to be able to use their sound track. I would like to say that it was wrong to say that watchtower ADMITTED to using Epica sound track, if you listened to the call, you would have discovered that this accusation is false. Whenever there is a hitch such as this, true Christians wait for the full details to come in, but opposers and apostates are always in a hurry to put the organization in a bad light. They only look for bad within the organization, the OP failed to mention the good things the organization does, like how they helped rebuild lives and properties during the Japan disaster, how they helped a lot of people during Hurricane Katrina in eastern united states and even more recently, hurricane Matthew, how people known for bad are being changed by the bible because of the preaching work. Read the report on hurricane Matthew here.

The thread is already dragging too long. Therefore, if there is something you want to know about Jehovah’s witnesses and what they believe, why not carry out your own research. Instead of subscribing to the sentiments of those who thrive in negativity, why not find out from the horse’s mouth- you can find out more about Jehovah’s witnesses at their website, www.jw.org and you can as well request a bible study from the website. I guarantee you, wherever you are, someone will be sent to help you know more about us. The website is also proof that the governing body of Jehovah’s witnesses are not afraid of its members using the internet as the OP also asserted. (Did you know? Jw.org is the website with most languages the world over). Good health to you all Nairalanders who are not gullible.

Cc: lalasticlacla

3 Likes

Re: Setting The Record Straight- Jehovah's Witnesses by xtivin(m): 7:48am On Dec 13, 2016
About the Jesus issue, personally I was at the IMITATE JESUS convention last year and I learned alot about the teachings....please let's be careful the way we say things our little understanding knows nothing about. Am not a JW but I love their passionate teachings that's why they always highlight a particular topic and teach deeply on it...If we are to go through the great works of God in the bible, sincerely speaking they were mostly written in old testament "maybe" that was why Jesus wasn't spoken of often this year, Moreover a typical. JW prayer ends with "This we ask through your son Jesus"...

1 Like

Re: Setting The Record Straight- Jehovah's Witnesses by edogho(m): 8:26am On Dec 13, 2016
op. You are wasting your time. The op of that thread na slowpoke who knows next to nothing about Jehovah's Witnesses. And I suspect he either didn't go for that convention or he was there but wasn't there at the same time.

I still prefer the JW in every way. Na only say dey will want me to wake up each morning and read the examining the scriptures or go preaching about. Who get time? plus I don't see any sense in doing those two.
I prefer to do what I like and how I like it cos na me dey epp myself o. lols
Re: Setting The Record Straight- Jehovah's Witnesses by Yossarian: 11:57am On Dec 13, 2016
I have a soft spot for Jehovah's Witnesses in general, but this may be because I am hopelessly in love with one in particular.

Nevertheless, much of my respect is well earned by the organization itself for its contributions to my mental development. My Book of Bible Stories was an early introduction to the beauty of the written word and the wonders of imagination, and the influence of Awake! in stimulating my mind was second only to the novels of James Hadley Chase.

I find Jehovah's Witnesses far more consistent in their faith than most, if not all Christian denominations. There is scarcely any tenet of their beliefs for which compelling evidence cannot be found in the bible; compelling, that is, for those who are compelled by scripture.

Jehovah's Witnesses have their institutional faults, but so does every other Christian denomination, and all of them share equally in an ultimate fault, in that Christianity and indeed religion in general is an obvious sham.

(1) (Reply)

TB Joshua EXPOSES Ghanaian Shrine Where Elderly 'priests' Molest Virgin Girls! / The Marriage Contract: Sex & Marriage Rites / Shocking!! An Owl Turns Into A Woman In Akonwojo Lagos State: See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.