Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,826 members, 7,817,410 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

Private Schools Vs Public Schools. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Schools Vs Public Schools. (16629 Views)

Poll: I Prefer:-

Private Schools: 68% (40 votes)
Public schools: 31% (18 votes)
This poll has ended

Five Things About Students Who Attend Public Schools. / Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools / Private Schools Vs Government Schools In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by jugz(f): 7:15am On Nov 15, 2009
i'd really love for my kids to go to private scls, even tho i had a feel of both sides,
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by wirinet(m): 11:57am On Nov 15, 2009
Do not mind those shouting "public school", the standard of Education is retrogressing genarally- both private and public schools. I have seen many students failing WAEC, NECO and JAMB, from those high brow schools located in the Lekki axis where you pay school fees in millions of naira. Meanwhile year in year out, the overall best students for these exams almost always comes from public schools.

To me the best schools are the first generation of Public schools, like kings college, Queens college and federal government colleges. Command Secondary Schools are also not bad ( you have to know someone in the military though). Model colleges are just there.

I feel Private schools give a better all round education, that those elite schools where your child will only be exposed to a narrow range of people ( People within the narrow range of class the school provides for). Mind you, it would be unthinkable to send your child to most of the state schools unless you are preparing your child for a career as an "Agbero".

Having said these, the most important aspect of child education is parental education. With a good parental guidance, a child in a moderately good school (private or public) will excel, while a child in British - American College but with no parental guidance will likely  perform poorly.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by TheSly: 12:32pm On Nov 15, 2009
wirinet:

Do not mind those shouting "public school", the standard of Education is retrogressing genarally- both private and public schools. I have seen many students failing WAEC, NECO and JAMB, from those high brow schools located in the Lekki axis where you pay school fees in millions of naira. Meanwhile year in year out, the overall best students for these exams almost always comes from public schools.

To me the best schools are the first generation of Public schools, like kings college, Queens college and federal government colleges. Command Secondary Schools are also not bad ( you have to know someone in the military though). Model colleges are just there.

I feel Private schools give a better all round education, that those elite schools where your child will only be exposed to a narrow range of people ( People within the narrow range of class the school provides for). Mind you, it would be unthinkable to send your child to most of the state schools unless you are preparing your child for a career as an "Agbero".

Having said these, the most important aspect of child education is parental education. With a good parental guidance, a child in a moderately good school (private or public) will excel, while a child in British - American College but with no parental guidance will likely  perform poorly.
You dont need to write episple.
Deep down inside you, You know public school sucks.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by wirinet(m): 1:58pm On Nov 15, 2009
The Sly:

You dont need to write episple.
Deep down inside you, You know public school sucks.

If public schools suck so much, how come most of our leaders, both past and present were products of public schools, how d you also explain the fact that most of our intellectuals, scientists, artists etc, went to public schools. How many of our profs or captains of industries went to any high brow primary or secondary schools?
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Witi(m): 3:54pm On Nov 15, 2009
The standard of Education in Nigeria is generally poor, people that are shouting private school should know that there are mushroom ones too as we have in public school. Also most of the good private schools are not affordable for a low income earner.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by posakosa(m): 3:59pm On Nov 15, 2009
Remii:

Are you insinuating that there are no good schools in Nigeria?, take am easy oo. People still dey finish from Naija University, go abroad  and perform wonders at Masters level o. grin grin grin

No sir- just saying---- There are still some GOOD public schools in Nigeria. I don't really fancy private schools, where children are treated like BRATS just because parents can afford certain luxuries---- the ONLY problem with Public schools is the HAZING and MAD SENIORS---- lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I remember, one story that the senior used a hammer to khonk a small junior on the head---- that junior had to be rushed to the hospital------

I guess Ghana is the new hot spoot---- undecided undecided undecided
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 15, 2009
wirinet:

If public schools suck so much, how come most of our leaders, both past and present were products of public schools, how d you also explain the fact that most of our intellectuals, scientists, artists etc, went to public schools. How many of our profs or captains of industries went to any high brow primary or secondary schools?

Oga you are talking about then, and we are talking about now. The state of public schools is nothing to write home about.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by dramaquin: 4:52pm On Nov 15, 2009
princekevo:

They are of no comparism. We Know there is no school as government school in Nigeria, but a glorified Zoo. Where student can hang on the window like monkeys recieving lecture. smiley smiley smiley

that is soooo funny!!!

depending on how much moni ur able to save,private pry sch(this is a must)
and for sec sch, federal schs and military schs arent so bad if u cant do GOOD private.
start saving o!
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Cmeo(m): 7:26pm On Nov 15, 2009
Hmmmm , I would rather prefer public school. I am a product of public schools and I am proud to be. Besides, I worked at a private school and see how scores are manipulated and parents exploited. The school authority did not allow us to give the kids their right scores becos their parents wont be happy to see their kids/wards performing poor despite several exploitations.

The only thing about private school is that they could teach your kids speaking English till day break but what about other subjects. Let ask them are they not manipulating their kids result to sweet parents I am witness to it.

I personally prefer public school for my kids but could send lazy teachers of my kids to labour market again if they are not doing their job rightly becos its the right of my kids to have a sound and proper education from their government.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by seedord247(m): 8:23pm On Nov 15, 2009
Private school dem no dey beat, but public dey beat so if you no won make your child dey cry carrry am go Private.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by TheSly: 10:08pm On Nov 15, 2009
wirinet:

Yep. . .That was then, We are talking about now!!
There were few private schools then and the public schools were doing very good
And remember, There was no rampant strikes back then like what we have today.

Heck!! Nigerian public school= Garbage
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by enigma8: 10:27pm On Nov 15, 2009
Definitely Private Schools,ESPECIALLY for Primary education,infact there are differnt categories of private primary schools.
Then for secondary schools,i'm a bit more conservative and i stiick to my self made top 20 private secondary schools in Lagos/Nigeria.If my child can't get into those top 20 private schools,then i'll rather send my child to KC,QC,ST gregs,Holy Child,Air-force or ISL.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by posakosa(m): 10:30pm On Nov 15, 2009
enigma8:

KC,QC,ST gregs,Holy Child,Air-force or ISL.

Can't speak for the last three but the first three schools u're mentioning are OLD GLORIES----- no more as good as they used to be--- undecided undecided undecided
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by MUNEER2(m): 2:57am On Nov 16, 2009
I'm speechless!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Nobody: 8:55am On Nov 16, 2009
As for me i go with public schools, because children always get spoilt when put in private schools.
I AM A LIVING EXAMPLE OF THAT.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by engrnsik: 9:33am On Nov 16, 2009
not not too bad by sending ur children to private schosl. Is a nice ideal and also involues money to aquired a better education. even me if i can see somebody dat said go i will support u, i would have down dat.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Jarus(m): 9:47am On Nov 16, 2009
I attended a private primary school, public secondary school and university.Each of them has a lasting impact on me,positive of course. No regrets till now.

For primary school, I don't think it's advisable to send your kids to public primary school in Nigeria. The primary education system in Nigeria is far gone. Foundation is very important.

For secondary school, I will not totally write off all Nigerian public secondary schools. There are still a few standard ones. I attended a community Grammar school in a semi-urban area and we competed well with those that attended high-paying, highly-rated private secondary schools in the university. My own secondary school, though public, still has the standard till today, and I won't discourage anybody from sending their wards there, especially middle to low income earning parents rather than inconvenience themselves spending a large portion of their meagre income on those private secondary schools. There are a number of public secondary schools in Nigeria that still have the standard. They may not be more than three or four in a state though.

For university education, totally count me out of Nigerian private universities. Nigerian public universities will do for me. Of course, I mean Ife, UI, UNN, Unilag, ABU, Uniben, not all the SU universities. Polytechnic, public or private, is a no-no, no offence intended to our friends.

For Masters, please carry your bags and go abroad, of course to a standard school abroad.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by tkb417(m): 10:53am On Nov 16, 2009
abeg add military schools
or are those ones public schools?

na military i go from pry to sec and i enjoyed it
it was k but maybe not like dem corona and BIS

soup wey sweet ; na money murder am
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by tkb417(m): 10:58am On Nov 16, 2009
u were asleep when you posted this

how many private schools were there when our past leaders were going to school?

and hey, the point is, the standard has fallen in thos schools

The KCs, QCs, Unity schools, NMS and some other military schools, and some old secondary schools like christ school Ado, Abeokuta Grammar school, GCI, Baptist Boiz High Abeokuta and maybe the secondary schools owned by some reputable UNIs used to be the bomb

but now, i doubt if u can send ur kid to any of those
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by jaybee3(m): 11:06am On Nov 16, 2009
tkb417:

abeg add military schools
or are those ones public schools?

na military i go from pry to sec and i enjoyed it
it was k but maybe not like dem corona and BIS

soup wey sweet ; na money murder am
which one did u attend, command/air-force or navy?

I attended command and back then it was the bomb. over 95% of ma classmates are professionals doing extremely well for 'emselves.
Military schools aren't receiving much funding this days so levels have def dropped
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by beefers(m): 2:12pm On Nov 16, 2009
in nigeria we have problem when it comes to government colleges but there are some public school that create sharper kids than private school meant for the rich people.No matter what the situation is in nigeria the students that get the highest score in external exams are from the public schools so they create the sharpest ones so i advice u look for good public school like university sec schools i attended unilorin sec sch which is very good but if u must choose private schools u hv to do good research b'cos most are after the money they build fine buildings to attract us which doesn't mean they are actually good and finally to get the good ones u have to be ready financially.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by nasgrz(m): 4:08pm On Nov 16, 2009
Of course! Public 4 lyf
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by enigma8: 11:37pm On Nov 16, 2009
As 4 me i can't put my child in a new private primary or secondary school sha no matter how attractive or beautiful the school looks.I need a school with experience and good track history;at least of about 10 yrs.
For primary schools i'll go with the following:
St Saviours School(Ikoyi or Ebute Metta)-Founded 1951
Corona School(Gbagada,Ikoyi,Apapa,VI)-Founded 1955
Grange School(Ikeja Gra)-Founded 1958
Grace Children School(Gbagada)-Founded 1968
Greensprings School(Anthony,Lekki)-Founded 1985
Then for secondary schools ;Atlantic hall,Olashore,Loyola,Adesoye,VF,Trinity,Whitesands,Lagoon,Grace High,Corona,Grange,Greensprings, etc
These are private schools with VERY high quality and have stood the test of time,with a good alumni record.
NB I hav to confess that the current school fees of most of these schools are VERY VERY high and range from a minimum of N500,000 per annum-Day fees to about N2m for boarding!!!!God will help me
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by SEFAGO(m): 2:18am On Nov 17, 2009
Then for secondary schools ;Atlantic hall,Olashore,Loyola,Adesoye,VF,Trinity,Whitesands,Lagoon,Grace High,Corona,Grange,Greensprings.
All expensive schools that dont really produce quality students. Except for LJC of course. And I am speaking from experience- brothers and sisters who attended half of these schools on the list, and I had the opportunity to examine their students relative to my less expensive secondary school.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by otukpo(f): 8:38am On Nov 17, 2009
for primary sch in today's Nigeria, private school is better.
But for secondary school, i wld prefer good public schools like QC, KC, FGCs, Military schools and good mission schools ( not all this new pentecostal secondary schools oo)
for university, i wld prefer the federal universities like UI, Unilag, Nsukka, Ife. But my favourite is UI
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by OLIVERAH: 1:31pm On Nov 17, 2009
WILL THE MONEY YOU SAFE ALL YOUR LIFE BE USED ON ONE CHILE^S FEE. WHY NOT WE ASK GOVT. TO DO SOMETHINK ABOUT THIS
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by OLIVERAH: 1:45pm On Nov 17, 2009
IF PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE NOT GOOD(HIGHER INSTITUTION), WHY DID SOME OF MY FRIENDS LEAVE PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES FOR PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES.
ONE OF THEM SAID IN HIS DEPARTMENT, THERE NO ENOUGH LECTURERS THERE
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by mamagee3(f): 2:01am On Nov 18, 2009
What the hell? undecided
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Nezan(m): 1:00pm On Nov 18, 2009
Private primary schools are better than public primary schools.
Some private secondary schools are better than some public secondary schools.
Most public universities are better than private universities.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by tanimz(f): 5:07pm On Nov 18, 2009
It really depends if you are in Nigeria, because anybody can wake up in the one to build a school.
I went to a private secondary school (Nigeria) and even with the expensive school fees, I must admit that I would have been better off at a federal secondary school.

If you are talking of abroad, sure more that 85% of their private schools are good even in the city. You have to do so many research though, and found out from different people their experience.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Nobody: 9:00pm On Nov 18, 2009
Public schools are still the best.
Re: Private Schools Vs Public Schools. by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 18, 2009
Public schools are still the best.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Moses Adebowale Ogunbiyi Slumps And Dies (UNIOSUN Civil Engineering Dept HOD) / LASU Sacks Sunkanmi Odubunmi, Isiaka Ogunwande, Emmanuel Gbeleyi: Sex Harassment / Scholars Global Tech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.