Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,825 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get (11414 Views)

Construction Of A Low-cost Four Flat / Does anyone know the cost Of 6 Bedroom Flat ..need Your Help!! / Dubai Is Building A Rotating Skyscraper. Here's Everything You Should Know. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by JohnIfie: 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2016
I'm looking to build a 3 bedroom, four flat apartment in Ibadan. I already have the Architectural and Structural Drawing, but there has been no progress yet regarding the physical building. This is the first time I'm building, and I don't really know much beyond the little things. I've also read a lot NL threads, so I guess I got some ideas from there.

The problem I'm facing now is with starting the construction and the supervision of the process. It's not something I'm up for since I have no basic knowledge of it, and I want a properly built house (it's going to be rented out). The architect that drew the plan told me he also did supervision work (with the Structural Engineer's assistance) and took me to some of his previously supervised work, and one he's currently working on.

Although, I know it isn't really an Architect's work to Supervise a construction process, the fact that he's shown me he can handle it, coupled with the fact that I'm finding it hard to find an 'experienced', certified builder who will not overcharge me and also help build to taste was making my mind up (leaning the architect's way). I became even more confused, though when I decided to start with the fence. The architect asked the bricklayer to dig 2 ft deep, and that the blinding be 200 or 150 mm (was jargon to me then so I didn't interfere), the bricklayer however said that's not how it's done, touting his experience and old age. He said his standard metric was 1.5ft - depth, and 100mm blinding, which didn't work so well with A.

After the incidence, I tried asking around to see which of them was wrong, most saying 1.5 is standard (i.e, A is being too theoretical, thus being wasteful). I got more stories about architects being bad supervisors and over using materials trying to go by the book (tbh, I want something solid, but if the consequences of a minor 'not by the book' change is negligible, I need someone who'll consider it).

Afterwards, I tried searching for new builders, but none of them were certified or studied for it, so I felt they were no better than the architect in that case. I also believe since the architect drew the plan, he'd be an even better choice with the options I have now.

If you have any opinion or advice on how to proceed or any question to determine what to say, then shoot.

Disclaimer: I have a really thick skin. I'm happy to admit when and that I don't know something, even if it's just too obvious to you.

Bless Y'all and Merry Xmas in Advance.

5 Likes

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by stancydg: 5:16pm On Dec 21, 2016
Guy, that's the challenge with most bricklayers and artisans on site. They make a lot of assumptions based on experience from a previous job, which oftentimes is replete with errors, forgetting that the Architect is the creator of the current design and knows best what he was thinking while designing the building. Even if you get a certified builder, you will still need the Architect to do the overall supervision because, he is the chief consultant. The builder has to do his work to the architects specs. The reason most buildings collapse is people boycotting standards, which architects are trained to insist on. That is why some will tell you the architect is wasting material. That material you don't want to use now, you may have to destroy the building and start all over to correct the errors that will show up later. A typical example is when we advise clients to introduce damp proof membrane on the walls before pouring over site concrete and because of trying to save a few thousands, they go ahead and later the paint on the interior walls starts flaking and house starts smelling with maps on the wall, due to rising damp. I am sure you have seen such maps of Africa on the external walls of buildings around you. Those are the kinds of buildings your bricklayer is drawing experience from, which requires pulling down for a correction to be made because tiling the surfaces of such walls is only dealing with the external. If the foundation be destroyed, what can the righteous do? A word is enough for the wise.

14 Likes

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by JohnIfie: 8:47pm On Dec 24, 2016
I'm back with another question this time. So I asked a builder to work on a full quotation for the foundation of the plan, I was amazed when he came back and told me the plan had more pillars than necessary (50 columns). He said the building doesn't need more than 32 by his calculations. He brought me an estimate for the plan as is, but said 50 pillars wasn't necessary.

The building is 12963 by 29250. I can take a picture of the plan and upload it, but I'd like to know if 50 is truly excessive, or if this is just builders trying to cut corners. As much as I'd like to build a solid structure, I wouldn't want to waste anything unnecessarily.

I appreciate any input. Merry Xmas.
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by jeftalene(m): 11:14pm On Dec 24, 2016
JohnIfie:
I'm back with another question this time. So I asked a builder to work on a full quotation for the foundation of the plan, I was amazed when he came back and told me the plan had more pillars than necessary (50 columns). He said the building doesn't need more than 32 by his calculations. He brought me an estimate for the plan as is, but said 50 pillars wasn't necessary.

The building is 12963 by 29250. I can take a picture of the plan and upload it, but I'd like to know if 50 is truly excessive, or if this is just builders trying to cut corners. As much as I'd like to build a solid structure, I wouldn't want to waste anything unnecessarily.

I appreciate any input. Merry Xmas.

Always visit www.engineerosaz..com to get useful construction tips.

Thank me later.
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by JohnIfie: 11:30pm On Dec 25, 2016
Merry Xmas to all
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by twinskenny(m): 6:34am On Dec 26, 2016
JohnIfie:
Merry Xmas to all

Merry Christmas sir.. We are here for the electrical when the time comes

You can check our various thread...
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by eghosajohnny: 6:49am On Dec 26, 2016
JohnIfie:
I'm looking to build a 3 bedroom, four flat apartment in Ibadan. I already have the Architectural and Structural Drawing, but there has been no progress yet regarding the physical building. This is the first time I'm building, and I don't really know much beyond the little things. I've also read a lot NL threads, so I guess I got some ideas from there.

The problem I'm facing now is with starting the construction and the supervision of the process. It's not something I'm up for since I have no basic knowledge of it, and I want a properly built house (it's going to be rented out). The architect that drew the plan told me he also did supervision work (with the Structural Engineer's assistance) and took me to some of his previously supervised work, and one he's currently working on.

Although, I know it isn't really an Architect's work to Supervise a construction process, the fact that he's shown me he can handle it, coupled with the fact that I'm finding it hard to find an 'experienced', certified builder who will not overcharge me and also help build to taste was making my mind up (leaning the architect's way). I became even more confused, though when I decided to start with the fence. The architect asked the bricklayer to dig 2 ft deep, and that the blinding be 200 or 150 mm (was jargon to me then so I didn't interfere), the bricklayer however said that's not how it's done, touting his experience and old age. He said his standard metric was 1.5ft - depth, and 100mm blinding, which didn't work so well with A.

After the incidence, I tried asking around to see which of them was wrong, most saying 1.5 is standard (i.e, A is being too theoretical, thus being wasteful). I got more stories about architects being bad supervisors and over using materials trying to go by the book (tbh, I want something solid, but if the consequences of a minor 'not by the book' change is negligible, I need someone who'll consider it).

Afterwards, I tried searching for new builders, but none of them were certified or studied for it, so I felt they were no better than the architect in that case. I also believe since the architect drew the plan, he'd be an even better choice with the options I have now.

If you have any opinion or advice on how to proceed or any question to determine what to say, then shoot.

Disclaimer: I have a really thick skin. I'm happy to admit when and that I don't know something, even if it's just too obvious to you.

I just sent you a pm you can call or whatsapp me on this number.im a builder
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by adewumiopeyemi(m): 6:55am On Dec 26, 2016
Nice one... in order news.. nairaland. Beach party holding january 2 is going to be fun and intresting don't miss it guys.. for more information check my signature.. or pm. No dulling..
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Samirana360(m): 6:56am On Dec 26, 2016
Pay me 4 advice

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by passyhansome(m): 6:56am On Dec 26, 2016
The Lord is your strength
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by mccoy47(m): 6:58am On Dec 26, 2016
JohnIfie:

Although, I know it isn't really an Architect's work to Supervise a construction process, the fact that he's shown me he can handle it, coupled with the fact that I'm finding it too obvious to you.

Who told you dat? undecided

Forget structual engineers! It's thw architects job to ensure dat d builders precisely follow what is in black and white.

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Dsrooftiles: 6:59am On Dec 26, 2016
Congrat op.. I know much about Roofing.. So when u get to that stage... Contact me on 080-85-310-359.. You can check my thread on Nairaland....

Current Price of Roofing Sheet in Nigeria.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3364135/roofing-sheets-cost-various-types

See Samples of Roofing Tiles.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3357472/collection-sample-stone-coated-roofing
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by lakesider(m): 7:00am On Dec 26, 2016
the pain of cheap service remain after the little gain is long gone . please pay for professional advice . nobody will give u correct consultancy for free . 07084824604

2 Likes

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by lakesider(m): 7:00am On Dec 26, 2016
the pain of cheap service remain after the little gain is long gone . please pay for professional advice . nobody will give u correct consultancy for free . 07084824604

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by lakesider(m): 7:02am On Dec 26, 2016
mccoy47:

Who told you dat? undecided

Forget structual engineers! It's thw architects job to ensure dat d builders precisely follow what is in black and white.

people should make comment on. what they really have knowledge about

2 Likes

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Nobody: 7:03am On Dec 26, 2016
For this era kiss you must be don
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by yusufu16: 7:05am On Dec 26, 2016
Oga let's see your plan first then we will advise appropriately
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by ade2008(m): 7:06am On Dec 26, 2016
OP go by the Architect standard.Don't compromise. Bricklayers are not formally trained to build, they learn through trial and error, so don't follow their advice bec they are mostly quack. I will advise to seek experts advice when working on your building project. They are here on Nairaland with good academic qualifications. OP consider those lives that may be lost if showdy job is done on that building. Don't be penny wise and Pound foolish. In the long run you may pay heavily for showdy job collapsed building.

2 Likes

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by mccoy47(m): 7:09am On Dec 26, 2016
lakesider:

people should make comment on. what they really have knowledge about

undecided

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by obaao(m): 7:12am On Dec 26, 2016
JohnIfie:

Haven't had 3 experiences in construction, I will advise you do not consider an architect for supervisory work. The best professional you can use for building construction are the builders. You can negotiate your pay and it is was always between the rate 7.5% and 10% of construction, finishing and any other work he handles. You can reach my engineer on 07069768989. He handled all my 3 buildings and even just completed one.

The depth for foundation of any building depends on the texture of the land and what is to be built on it. Regardless of the experiences of the artisans, they are still far below professional advise.

I wish you the best.

2 Likes

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by GoldCircle: 7:13am On Dec 26, 2016
Make una help the guy for Open forum. Which one be pm me here and there. Or pay for advice?

@op, no follow anybody go corner go discuss. If they can't offer valuable information here so that we all can benefit, make dem carry their advice go. Chances are that you may be scammed once you begin to entertain/patronize these side talks. Scammers have their tentacles up already as e be like say this man wey ready to build house get plenty money.

Be wise!

15 Likes

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by nellend(m): 7:15am On Dec 26, 2016
The architect wanting you to excavate to that extent is very right. Did you say by book only, you will know his worth when things go wrong which I pray wouldn't happen. Architects are the chief builders and lords of any construction, those who know their importance dnt toy with them but if u blive an artisan over a professional then you are on a very long tin. Am an architect n wouldnt mind offering u some professional advice freely. #peace
I'm in Ibadan for now as well

3 Likes

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by youngwarlocks: 7:16am On Dec 26, 2016
ok
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Nutase: 7:19am On Dec 26, 2016
Nice one
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by nasfem22(m): 7:21am On Dec 26, 2016
I tap into the blessing of carrying out a major project even in the middle of recession.. Good luck Op

7 Likes

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by saydfact(m): 7:25am On Dec 26, 2016
JohnIfie:

Dude, I'm going to be very direct -

1. Decide if u want a quality building or just a building
2. 100mm is not and will never be a foundation, its referred to as blinding, 225mm is even more appropriate
3. That the bricklayer is 100 years old and as built 100 houses doesn't make him right
4. 1.5ft deep foundation? wait till erosion shows you its too shallow; the books says 3ft but the Architect doing 2ft is considerate
Although, I know it isn't really an Architect's work to Supervise a construction process,
- its obvious you've been talking to the wrong people - Architects are the team leaders and in-fact building rules says Architect MUST supervise all projects assisted by others.
6. The mistake you'll make is when you start listening to artisans over professional - especially when you have very little experience.

I'm not following so mention me if you have a query I shd see.
GOOD LUCK

6 Likes

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by saydfact(m): 7:28am On Dec 26, 2016
nellend:
The architect wanting you to excavate to that extent is very right. Did you say by book only, you will know his worth when things go wrong which I pray wouldn't happen. Architects are the chief builders and lords of any construction, those who know their importance dnt toy with them but if u blive an artisan over a professional then you are on a very long tin. Am an architect n wouldnt mind offering u some professional advice freely. #peace

I think you,ve said it as it shd be.... I cant imagine saying 2ft is too deep, I wouldnt even recommend 2ft except while digging I notice the land is firm...
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by uncleade(m): 7:34am On Dec 26, 2016
A question for you before any advice. Are you a Igbo? I mean do you belong to FLAT HEADS RACE?
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by greenermodels: 7:41am On Dec 26, 2016
JohnIfie:

bros,what you're experiencing now is what i foursth experienced in the field and it might get worse as the building progresses to decking level as concrete mix ratios start flying around but i would advise you to stick with the architect, he would surely use/waste more materials but it's likely only him can build that house exactly as designed. even if you get another architect, opinions might still vary.i would also advise you to upload clear copies of both the architectural and structural drawings. you would also have difference of opinions on iron reinforcements.

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by pato405(m): 7:42am On Dec 26, 2016
GoldCircle:
Make una help the guy for Open forum. Which one be pm me here and there. Or pay for advice?

@op, no follow anybody go corner go discuss. If they can't offer valuable information here so that we all can benefit, make dem carry their advice go. Chances are that you may be scammed once you begin to entertain/patronize these side talks. Scammers have their tentacles up already as e be like say this man wey ready to build house get plenty money.

Be wise!

I support your opinion on this. Many scammers on prowl insisting to be seen in camera! Na wa for this guys o! No monkey business here! period! pm me pm me , watsapp me etc rubbish

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Nobody: 7:44am On Dec 26, 2016
OP, be careful.

There are some people coming out on this thread that are not fit to build an outhouse.
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by AfroKnight: 7:45am On Dec 26, 2016
In a building project, the builder, structural engineer, mechanical engineer, etc, are themselves supervised by the architect. Ideally they should meet with him to get approval for payment or changes on site. He is the one who protects the interest of the client.

Don't make the mistake of listening to artisans instead of professionals. Artisans may bring cheaper ideas based on experience but no two sites / projects are the same and the seemingly expensive option given by the architect may save you extra cost and headache tomorrow.

Hire a builder and let him run all his changes / suggestions through the architect. The builder supervises the site and the architect manages the builder.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Price Of Roofing Sheets In Nigeria By GHAPH Roofing And Properties / Ivory Court Xmas Sales @ 1.2m Instalment Plan Available / Design Of A Mini Estate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.