Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,163 members, 7,835,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get (11468 Views)

Construction Of A Low-cost Four Flat / Does anyone know the cost Of 6 Bedroom Flat ..need Your Help!! / Dubai Is Building A Rotating Skyscraper. Here's Everything You Should Know. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Adegbulugbe(m): 7:53am On Dec 26, 2016
Hello I'm a civil engineer I just finished a two bedroom 4flat last month you can whatsapp me to show you some pics and clue on 08064059967 what I will advise you is to take proper look on the columns.the 50 column might be necessary depending on your design but it can still be converted if possible...thanks
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by elogic(m): 7:55am On Dec 26, 2016
do you need someone competent enough to wire the building? contact 07034734854 on whatsapp. I also live in ibadan. I can also share you with different pictures.
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by greenermodels: 7:56am On Dec 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:
OP, be careful.

There are some people coming out on this thread that are not fit to build an outhouse.
chairman tuale.did you know that your favourite architect Frank Lloyd Wright have the same problem with the builder hired to build the falling waters? i think you would be interested to know.
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Slymonster(m): 8:02am On Dec 26, 2016
you need a professional for that job.quote me if its around south south of Nigeria and I will give you my number as a civil engineer.Have a nice day
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Nobody: 8:05am On Dec 26, 2016
greenermodels:
chairman tuale.did you know that your favourite architect Frank Lloyd Wright have the same problem with the builder hired to build the falling waters? i think you would be interested to know.

Greetings and salutations.

Architects and builders have been falling out since time immemorial, that will never stop and hence why I serve as the General Contractor on my builds. I run the project and make the decisions.

I just wish that homeowners, those that wish, will get educated and apply themselves involved more. This is not for everyone though.

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by akaopp(m): 8:12am On Dec 26, 2016
If It Get To The Level Of The Roof By Fixing The Wood Work And Installing The Aluminum Paulinet Aluminum Is And Always At Alert To Serve His Customer Better God Bless You All

Also Want You To Know Achitect Is Not An Engineer Do Not Fall Victim

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Olulinks(m): 8:13am On Dec 26, 2016
eghosajohnny:

I just sent you a pm you can call or whatsapp me on this number.im a builder
Pm, for what? Talk here or forget it.
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Sirdik(m): 8:16am On Dec 26, 2016
The architect is d leader in a project.experience doesnt really apply to all situations.d architects specifications should b followed.d foundation specification are made based on d site.soil type, loading nature of terrain e.tc all contribute to foundation type n specifications.follow d architect, he works based on reality.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by greenermodels: 8:17am On Dec 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Architects and builders have been falling out since time immemorial, that will never stop and hence why I serve as the General Contractor on my builds. I run the project and make the decisions.

I just wish that homeowners, those that wish, will get educated and apply themselves involved more. This is not for everyone though.
for an interesting sometimes comic narration of the project read https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by danemenike: 8:20am On Dec 26, 2016
Vv
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by cryslar22(m): 8:32am On Dec 26, 2016
MAY GOD SEE YOU THROUGH. WHEN IT COMES TO PAINTING, YOU CAN GIVE ME A CALL ON 09052962389,08167464317 OR WHATSAPP 08167464317
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by epropertymaster(m): 8:32am On Dec 26, 2016
Don't be deceives sir. Get our expert quantity survey a consultant with token.
Call on 08034868990, 08092903328.
Thanks
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by frankloloko: 8:44am On Dec 26, 2016
First is your dpc any other thing can be corrected . Happy building !!!
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by thirdeye(m): 8:57am On Dec 26, 2016
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by sunnp(m): 8:57am On Dec 26, 2016
Op am civil/structural Engr I base in Ibadan though I work in lag and ib and I can work with you if you don't mind,also I can come to the site if you want here is my contact 08136036879
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by yosmen: 8:58am On Dec 26, 2016
Everyone is just advertising themselves without offering good advice, op from what others have told you,buildings have quality and grade. A good building should last for at least 50-100 years.

if you want a good building u can leave for your next generation, follow the architects standard and specifications. He creates your design and he will bear liability if things go wrong.
But if you want to over manage and after 5years the building start giving troubles, follow ur so called skilled artisans and bricklayer.
The money you don't want to spend now, you will spend 10x later and the problem won't be totally solved.

You don't have idea about it, follow people who are professionals and trustworthy to give you your desired dream.They know areas to compromise to save you cost. You have an architect already give him the opportunity since he has shown you previous projects done.

Am an architect, feel free to contact me archigramandassociates@gmail.com
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by fizzy94(m): 9:00am On Dec 26, 2016
mccoy47:

Who told you dat? undecided

Forget structual engineers! It's thw architects job to ensure dat d builders precisely follow what is in black and white.
Not precisely bro, when there's need to be corrections or changes the builder can tell the architect
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by talisman35(m): 9:27am On Dec 26, 2016
Build a 3 bedroom flat,you don't need this unnecessary pillar,if it is a bungalow,because you are not putting any other structures on it,secondly you have started wasting your money on construction of fences,let me tell you this,you don't need concrete when constructing fences depends where if the site or place is a solid ground,you don't need to waste your money on granite or gravel ,what you need is shape sand
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:28am On Dec 26, 2016
Compliment of the season OP.

When your building get to the roofing stage, we will surely be available to give you a good quality service because "quality" is our watchword.

In the meantime, you can check my signature below to view some of our quality roofing projects.

Wishing you the successful completion of the building ahead.
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 9:29am On Dec 26, 2016
Chief I must salute your courage in facing the challenges of constructing a building in this time,..first I will like to commend the Architect who designed the building to your taste and the structural Engineer who worked with the Architect to design the structural skeleton of the building,....Am an Architect based in Anambra State,..we have always battled with artisans, drafts men in this our profession,.that's why I always keep my letter of view and in view ready when any of my clients start listening to the advice of those people who should and must be under the Architect and a good professional builder as. The case may be,..I will advice you work with the architect,..the foundation depth for any structure be it fence or building has no exact height,.a look into. The nature of the soil in that site matters a lot,..2feet is ok for a fence foundation,..the blinding can be 4inches or 3inches minimum depending on the nature of the soil,..for the main building use the architect or get a professional structural. Engineer who will be in the site regularly,..the architect can be. Coming. From time to time especially doing forming of blocks and supervision process,..I want you to please run away from the advice of those artisans,..they can cause a dislike between you and your professional team you engaged to work,...God bless you and bless your project. To come to success
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by damola1: 9:29am On Dec 26, 2016
yosmen:
Everyone is just advertising themselves without offering good advice, op from what others have told you,buildings have quality and grade. A good building should last for at least 50-100 years.

if you want a good building u can leave for your next generation, follow the architects standard and specifications. He creates your design and he will bear liability if things go wrong.
But if you want to over manage and after 5years the building start giving troubles, follow ur so called skilled artisans and bricklayer.
The money you don't want to spend now, you will spend 10x later and the problem won't be totally solved.

You don't have idea about it, follow people who are professionals and trustworthy to give you your desired dream.They know areas to compromise to save you cost. You have an architect already give him the opportunity since he has shown you previous projects done.

Am an architect, feel free to contact me archigramandassociates@gmail.com

What is your email for?
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by holuwatosin1994(m): 9:32am On Dec 26, 2016
i will like to ask you weather the architect or the structural engineer has pay a visit to that site to know nature of the land and its environs because 50 columns for a 4bedroom bungalow is way 2 much when its not a duplex or the area is prone to vibration and other industrial activities or swampy. Or lets talk on whatsapp via 08063750546
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by redcliff: 9:35am On Dec 26, 2016
JohnIfie:
I'm looking to build a 3 bedroom, four flat apartment in Ibadan. I already have the Architectural and Structural Drawing, but there has been no progress yet regarding the physical building. This is the first time I'm building, and I don't really know much beyond the little things. I've also read a lot NL threads, so I guess I got some ideas from there.

The problem I'm facing now is with starting the construction and the supervision of the process. It's not something I'm up for since I have no basic knowledge of it, and I want a properly built house (it's going to be rented out). The architect that drew the plan told me he also did supervision work (with the Structural Engineer's assistance) and took me to some of his previously supervised work, and one he's currently working on.

Although, I know it isn't really an Architect's work to Supervise a construction process, the fact that he's shown me he can handle it, coupled with the fact that I'm finding it hard to find an 'experienced', certified builder who will not overcharge me and also help build to taste was making my mind up (leaning the architect's way). I became even more confused, though when I decided to start with the fence. The architect asked the bricklayer to dig 2 ft deep, and that the blinding be 200 or 150 mm (was jargon to me then so I didn't interfere), the bricklayer however said that's not how it's done, touting his experience and old age. He said his standard metric was 1.5ft - depth, and 100mm blinding, which didn't work so well with A.

After the incidence, I tried asking around to see which of them was wrong, most saying 1.5 is standard (i.e, A is being too theoretical, thus being wasteful). I got more stories about architects being bad supervisors and over using materials trying to go by the book (tbh, I want something solid, but if the consequences of a minor 'not by the book' change is negligible, I need someone who'll consider it).

Afterwards, I tried searching for new builders, but none of them were certified or studied for it, so I felt they were no better than the architect in that case. I also believe since the architect drew the plan, he'd be an even better choice with the options I have now.

If you have any opinion or advice on how to proceed or any question to determine what to say, then shoot.

Disclaimer: I have a really thick skin. I'm happy to admit when and that I don't know something, even if it's just too obvious to you.

Bless Y'all and Merry Xmas in Advance.

Its in nigeria ive seen that architects are only restricted to the design phase. Meanwhile, the work of the architect spans through design construction and handover making sure that work done in other phase meet design requirements!
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Kfed4ril(m): 9:40am On Dec 26, 2016
uncleade:
A question for you before any advice. Are you a Igbo? I mean do you belong to FLAT HEADS RACE?

Look at this early morning fool

2 Likes

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 9:43am On Dec 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Chief I think I have worked for a client like you who told me he has built many houses with him as the architect and Structural Engineer but he started seeking for my supervision when I gave him a structure he couldn't read out what to do, or where to start from....please stop discouraging people's mind in a social media like this,..if you don't have what to say, just congratulate the client,..no offence pls just trying to sanitise the atmosphere ...thanks

4 Likes

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by dejavumart3d: 10:12am On Dec 26, 2016
What ever the Architect tells u follow or get a structural engr.. Following standards is very important becos if any failure occur lives are been lost.... Doctors follow standards datz y most of us are still alive now.... Foreigners come to nigeria and build skyscrapers dey dont collapse a nigerian will build common duplex it will fail just becos we dont follow standards we listen to "nah so dem dey do am".... Clients are the cause most buildings collapse in nigeria becos dey dont listen to advice from professionals instead dey get quacks who will get it done for them .... Mr john pls nd plz follow the advice of the professional...the foundation depth is being determine by the nature of the soil.... And the existing road nearby should incase of flood or pressure from the traffic so vibration wont disturb.. Crackz nd diffrential settlement... Some fence from foundation are even started with concrete and reinforcement(iron)to a certain height above ground level becos of such thingz.. In a nutshell my advice to u is get a good professional who will be on field for ur sake..... Follow standards... Spend cash...seviceability will be taking care of and ur building will be able to stand the test of tym....

3 Likes

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Vilshow(m): 10:19am On Dec 26, 2016
Compliment of the Season to Op and others on the thread.

I urge the Op to get building expert on this project, forget all this bricklayer claiming they know it all.

Anyways, I live in Ibadan and once you make the right decision you can contact me for your concrete /fabricated blocks : 9 inches and 6 inches. Contact on
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by samphem(m): 11:07am On Dec 26, 2016
There is different between paper work and site work,architect can design well on paper but interpretation is their problem.

You can't compare and Engineer with ordinary lame man brick layer,they lack missing proportion,that was the first challenges I faced as pulpil Engr.

I always correct to make sure the building serve d purpose of design.

Back to ur question
Thickness of blinding should based on the nature of soil and type of structure to build.
On a firm soil 225mm to 300mm is advisable

Make sure these objectives are follow
The building must be ecomical
The building must be safe

You can contact me on
For more details
Now in ogbomoso
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by JohnIfie: 11:41am On Dec 26, 2016
Hi Guys,

I appreciate all input and I'm here now to answer all necessary questions you need to assist.

First of all, the problem isn't that I don't want to use a professional's service. I guess I'm just not sure the guy is the right professional. Like I said earlier, I'm new to building construction. From what I've heard/read, though, a plan should have four drawings, A/SE/M&E, mine has only the first two because the architect said they can do without it. So I'm believing that he's only strict with things he directly offers.

Yes, he's been to my site (with the SE) a number of times. I actually used his bricklayer to pull down the structure that was there previously.
The land is the last in that estate, and it's not too far from a 'tiny' river.
As long as I can confirm that he's the right man for the job (which is what I'm trying to do here), I have no problem with going by all his instructions, I just want to be sure before having him start.
Also, from my conversation with all builders I've met, I can already see a fight ensuing, so it's either only the architect & structural enginer (they work together) or only a builder (which I'm shying away from already).

I'll take pictures of the plan now and show them in my next post.

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by jeftalene(m): 11:56am On Dec 26, 2016
AfroKnight:
In a building project, the builder, structural engineer, mechanical engineer, etc, are themselves supervised by the architect. Ideally they should meet with him to get approval for payment or changes on site. He is the one who protects the interest of the client.

Don't make the mistake of listening to artisans instead of professionals. Artisans may bring cheaper ideas based on experience but no two sites / projects are the same and the seemingly expensive option given by the architect may save you extra cost and headache tomorrow.

Hire a builder and let him run all his changes / suggestions through the architect. The builder supervises the site and the architect manages the builder.

You are absolutely wrong. There is nothing like an architect supervises other professionals. An architect basically prepares architectural drawings and carry out periodic evaluation to check for consistency of the actual construction with the design, not necessarily supervisory services. Be informed. Compliments!

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by koolengrtimmy(m): 12:18pm On Dec 26, 2016
@OP. I will like to advice you accordingly
1- You will need to choose between the artisans and professionals for quality choices.
2- I do not attack my fellow professional colleagues (architect) but understand that there is a structural engineer another specialty of civil engineer.
3- Foundation depth are structural engineers details after soil test is carried out they know that better , check all architectural designs it is written there clearly
4- You need to understand that a structural engineer is more concerned that how a build is structurally stable.
5- If you are not careful if a building collapse( God forbid) a structural engineer is arrested and penalized not the architect.
You need both architect and structural engr but be wise as the former tries to pull down the latter on site when their views do not correspond.
follow the structural detailing for depth, God help you with your right choices.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ivory Court Xmas Sales @ 1.2m Instalment Plan Available / Borehole Drilling Companies And Costs In Nigeria 2024 / Do You Need A Builder Or You Want Some Advice On Your On Going Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.