Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,141 members, 7,835,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get (11467 Views)

Construction Of A Low-cost Four Flat / Does anyone know the cost Of 6 Bedroom Flat ..need Your Help!! / Dubai Is Building A Rotating Skyscraper. Here's Everything You Should Know. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by JohnIfie: 1:15pm On Dec 26, 2016
Here are pictures like I promisec

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by JohnIfie: 1:17pm On Dec 26, 2016
More

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Nobody: 1:18pm On Dec 26, 2016
ArcSEMPECJ:
Chief I think I have worked for a client like you who told me he has built many houses with him as the architect and Structural Engineer but he started seeking for my supervision when I gave him a structure he couldn't read out what to do, or where to start from....please stop discouraging people's mind in a social media like this,..if you don't have what to say, just congratulate the client,..no offence pls just trying to sanitise the atmosphere ...thanks

Unfortunately you are not in a position to dictate or even suggest to me what to type.

I understand that for your economic welfare that it is important to convince folks that you are relevant.

You are irrelevant to me.

Likewise, no offense. Of course.

PS: I never said I was an architect or structural engineer on my projects, so no need to embellish. Try to look up the meaning of general contractor as it relates to house building.

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by JohnIfie: 1:18pm On Dec 26, 2016
And...

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Nobody: 1:36pm On Dec 26, 2016
JohnIfie:
More

I like this floorplan simply because the bedrooms are not the more silly ensuite ones that are total wastes in my opinion.

Are you thinking of using the underneath of the stairs as storage?

Did your architect make a site visit and was a soil test performed by a competent entity? Not those that failed in other disciplines who rushed to become overnight "engineers ".

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Julivas(m): 1:41pm On Dec 26, 2016
Nice 1op I recommend skinmaski or hajj m Contact either of them and thank me later.
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by princejones(m): 1:46pm On Dec 26, 2016
Am following
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by JohnIfie: 2:02pm On Dec 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I like this floorplan simply because the bedrooms are not the more silly ensuite ones that are total wastes in my opinion.

Are you thinking of using the underneath of the stairs as storage?

Did your architect make a site visit and was a soil test performed by a competent entity? Not those that failed in other disciplines who rushed to become overnight "engineers ".

I was actually thinking of making it all ensuite, I thought the lack of one more bath could bring down the rent price. I don't really know, but that's what I thought. I can leave it as is if that would not be a problem.

The architect has been to the site a lot of times, but no soil test was performed. Had no plans for the stairs storage space, but I could consider it as things proceed.

I'm looking to start the project from the first week of Jan so I'll be looking out for more info, and will be updating you guys at any necessary point

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Nobody: 2:05pm On Dec 26, 2016
JohnIfie:

I was actually thinking of making it all ensuite, I thought the lack of one more bath could bring down the rent price. I don't really know, but that's what I thought. I can leave it as is if that would not be a problem.

The architect has been to the site a lot of times, but no soil test was performed. Had no plans for the stairs storage space, but I could consider it as things proceed.

I'm looking to start the project from the first week of Jan so I'll be looking out for more info, and will be updating you guys at any necessary point

It's your project dude, do what you feel is best to get you the best return on investment. I don't do rental properties so my views on ensuite is based on private residences.

Good luck.
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by eghosajohnny: 2:09pm On Dec 26, 2016
JohnIfie:

Check this plan

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 2:15pm On Dec 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Unfortunately you are not in a position to dictate or even suggest to me what to type.

I understand that for your economic welfare that it is important to convince folks that you are relevant.

You are irrelevant to me.

Likewise, no offense. Of course.

PS: I never said I was an architect or structural engineer on my projects, so no need to embellish. Try to look up the meaning of general contractor as it relates to house building.
I can see you lost your anger when you are made the subject.....if you don't know the meaning or value of a professional Architect never you say they. Have failed often,..if you have had an experience with a fake Architect that you negotiated a work with and he messed up or left your work because of your character, then don't relate it to what we have here,funny enough you don't know me and with your attitude,..I can't even have my contact come near you talk more of giving you any professional advice,..I interact with people that keep their boundaries of knowledge than some folks with silly characters,.... Merry xmas just learn to pick corrections
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Nobody: 2:24pm On Dec 26, 2016
ArcSEMPECJ:
I can see...

Like I said you're irrelevant to me and will remain so, you should focus on helping the OP instead.

He's the one that solicited for your opinions, not me grin
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 2:35pm On Dec 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Like I said you're irrelevant to me, so maybe focus on the OP.
Thanks a lot for telling me more about you and your mindset from your profile pix...could have checked before relating with you bro...next timei will be more careful....cheers
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Nobody: 2:39pm On Dec 26, 2016
ArcSEMPECJ:
Thanks a lot for telling me more about you and your mindset from your profile pix...could have checked before relating with you bro...next timei will be more careful....cheers

Touché

And thanks for taking time to do research on me for salascious missiles to use grin

#Fail
#NotYourBro
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Nobody: 2:42pm On Dec 26, 2016
eghosajohnny:

Check this plan

Egbosa, are you back to building elevated structures?

If so, can you share previously successfully completed ones?

Thanks.
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by naijaoil: 3:18pm On Dec 26, 2016
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Originalsly: 3:19pm On Dec 26, 2016
Interesting!... Op... if just to build a fence there is a problem.... what will happen later? Change the builder.... he may sabotage the project just to prove the architect wrong. On same.... let's reason... the builder says the depth is 1.5 and bindings or whatever another number... that's what he uses all the time. There is something wrong in that logic.... he does not adjust for soil type... if it is rocky area, swampy area, sand area.... it doesn't matter... he'll use the same measurements. Does that make sense to you? I'm more inexperienced and ignorant than you when it comes to building... but on this .. I'll let the builder go now.... or you'll regret it later.

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by fash78(m): 3:26pm On Dec 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Egbosa, are you back to building elevated structures?

If so, can you share previously successfully completed ones?

Thanks.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin @ EgunMogaji this one na subtle finishing o, Egbosa over to you, Share any picture of completed elevated structure with proofs to back it up that you are the one who supervised the building.

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 26, 2016
fash78:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin @ EgunMogaji this one na subtle finishing o, Egbosa over to you, Share any picture of completed elevated structure with proofs to back it up that you are the one who supervised the building.

My brother from another mother grin

Yoruba say "elder no go dey for market while pikin head dey bent".

Have you seen my profile pic? cool

Egun "incorrigible element" Anigilaje
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by greenermodels: 6:22pm On Dec 26, 2016
JohnIfie:
And...
i think the builder wants to eliminate one pillar each from the toilets and i believe he's right while the architect is following the standard way we distribute pillars in Nigeria and i believe he also have cogent reasons too to avoid any room for errors, i will advise you go with the architect.as for the fencing go with him too.it's better to over engineer than under engineer a house especially in Nigeria where no standard tests are carried out on concrete.

。……,,
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by STIdesyns(m): 7:51pm On Dec 26, 2016
Na waa o o o, everybody dropping phone no here n there, bringing ridicule to architecture since 1800AD
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by JohnIfie: 9:23pm On Dec 26, 2016
greenermodels:
i think the builder wants to eliminate one pillar each from the toilets and i believe he's right while the architect is following the standard way we distribute pillars in Nigeria and i believe he also have cogent reasons too to avoid any room for errors, i will advise you go with the architect.as for the fencing go with him too.it's better to over engineer than under engineer a house especially in Nigeria where no standard tests are carried out on concrete.

。……,,

Thanks.

BTW, I'm not working on the fence for now, I'll start the foundation first and probably work on the fence when the block work is almost complete. I'm making the blocks myself instead of buying (machine-made) so I need as much space as possible.
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by AfroKnight: 9:39pm On Dec 26, 2016
jeftalene:

You are absolutely wrong. There is nothing like an architect supervises other professionals. An architect basically prepares architectural drawings and carry out periodic evaluation to check for consistency of the actual construction with the design, not necessarily supervisory services. Be informed. Compliments!

Obviously you have never worked on a project the proper way. Go and learn how the building team works. All other professionals are subordinates of the architect on a building site.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by nellend(m): 10:33am On Dec 27, 2016
AfroKnight:

Obviously you have never worked on a project the proper way. Go and learn how the building team works. All other professionals are subordinates of the architect on a building site.

Op, the type of quacks u need to run away from is @jeftalane or so. Lot of people knows nothing about construction n they claim they do. Imagine saying architects dnt supervise others, that's under statement. U need to learn more
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by softseun: 4:23pm On Dec 27, 2016
AfroKnight:

Lol, an Architect is under a construction manager who mostly are civil engineers(atleast for mega projects that am aware of), few cases you could find an architect rise to this possition.

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by softseun: 4:27pm On Dec 27, 2016
JohnIfie:
I'm looking to build a 3 bedroom, four flat apartment in Ibadan. I already have the Architectural and Structural Drawing, but there has been no progress yet regarding the physical building. This is the first time I'm building, and I don't really know much beyond the little things. I've also read a lot NL threads, so I guess I got some ideas from there.

The problem I'm facing now is with starting the construction and the supervision of the process. It's not something I'm up for since I have no basic knowledge of it, and I want a properly built house (it's going to be rented out). The architect that drew the plan told me he also did supervision work (with the Structural Engineer's assistance) and took me to some of his previously supervised work, and one he's currently working on.

Although, I know it isn't really an Architect's work to Supervise a construction process, the fact that he's shown me he can handle it, coupled with the fact that I'm finding it hard to find an 'experienced', certified builder who will not overcharge me and also help build to taste was making my mind up (leaning the architect's way). I became even more confused, though when I decided to start with the fence. The architect asked the bricklayer to dig 2 ft deep, and that the blinding be 200 or 150 mm (was jargon to me then so I didn't interfere), the bricklayer however said that's not how it's done, touting his experience and old age. He said his standard metric was 1.5ft - depth, and 100mm blinding, which didn't work so well with A.

After the incidence, I tried asking around to see which of them was wrong, most saying 1.5 is standard (i.e, A is being too theoretical, thus being wasteful). I got more stories about architects being bad supervisors and over using materials trying to go by the book (tbh, I want something solid, but if the consequences of a minor 'not by the book' change is negligible, I need someone who'll consider it).

Afterwards, I tried searching for new builders, but none of them were certified or studied for it, so I felt they were no better than the architect in that case. I also believe since the architect drew the plan, he'd be an even better choice with the options I have now.

If you have any opinion or advice on how to proceed or any question to determine what to say, then shoot.

Disclaimer: I have a really thick skin. I'm happy to admit when and that I don't know something, even if it's just too obvious to you.

Bless Y'all and Merry Xmas in Advance.

If you find somone reliable let me know... i have the same problem, just dont know who to trust on nairaland lol

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by yosmen: 9:27am On Dec 28, 2016
Give us a try... archigramandassociates@gmail.com
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by jeftalene(m): 1:47pm On Dec 28, 2016
AfroKnight:

Lol. No construction professional is surbordinate to the Architect on a building project. All professionals play unique roles and are coordinated essentially by the Contractor or the Project Manager. Btw I'm a renowned Structural Engineer. Pls get informed. Pick up a copy of the National Building Code. It would help you a lot!

You may also visit my blog to learn more www.engineerosaz..com
Thank me later

1 Like

Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by jeftalene(m): 1:55pm On Dec 28, 2016
nellend:

Op, the type of quacks u need to run away from is @jeftalane or so. Lot of people knows nothing about construction n they claim they do. Imagine saying architects dnt supervise others, that's under statement. U need to learn more

Did u just mention me.

Pick up a copy of the National Building Code and study it. Your submissions here speaks volume of how ignorant u are. Btw I am a renowned Structural Engineer. My blog www.engineerosaz..com will help you upgrade your knowledge.
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by jeftalene(m): 1:56pm On Dec 28, 2016
softseun:

Lol, an Architect is under a construction manager who mostly are civil engineers(atleast for mega projects that am aware of), few cases you could find an architect rise to this possition.

Help me educate them more.
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by JohnIfie: 4:28pm On Dec 30, 2016
So I finally decided to go with the architect and Structural Engineer. However, I'm going to be getting the materials and workers (they can suggest someone and I'll decide whether or not to use 'em), so I'll be sharing what each will cost and you guys can let me know if it's okay or not.

I'm breaking the project into stages, with the first stage being from foundation to lintel level (i.e before decking). I asked a bricklayer to give me a quotation on the needed materials and what he'll charge for the foundation and ground floor work. Here's what he quoted

Blocks - 6000 pcs, Sand 12 (Double Tipper), Granite 3 (30 Tonnes), Water (there's a borehole nearby), Plank 06 - whatever that means, 2/3 10 - whatever that means, Cement 430 bags, Filling.

BTW, this is just what he sent on a sheet of paper, I plan to seek clarification on Plank, 2/3 and filling when next we meet, but I'd like all the ammunition I can get before meeting him.

Also, what would you suggest is a fair Workmanship cost for ground work. And in terms of filling, as I said previously, there was a building on the land and it was broken down, are broken blocks advisable for filling or is laterite a must?

Please keep the tips and advice coming, I appreciate all help.

Have a great day
Re: Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get by twinskenny(m): 6:31pm On Dec 30, 2016
JohnIfie:
So I finally decided to go with the architect and Structural Engineer. However, I'm going to be getting the materials and workers (they can suggest someone and I'll decide whether or not to use 'em), so I'll be sharing what each will cost and you guys can let me know if it's okay or not.

I'm breaking the project into stages, with the first stage being from foundation to lintel level (i.e before decking). I asked a bricklayer to give me a quotation on the needed materials and what he'll charge for the foundation and ground floor work. Here's what he quoted

Blocks - 6000 pcs, Sand 12 (Double Tipper), Granite 3 (30 Tonnes), Water (there's a borehole nearby), Plank 06 - whatever that means, 2/3 10 - whatever that means, Cement 430 bags, Filling.

BTW, this is just what he sent on a sheet of paper, I plan to seek clarification on Plank, 2/3 and filling when next we meet, but I'd like all the ammunition I can get before meeting him.

Also, what would you suggest is a fair Workmanship cost for ground work. And in terms of filling, as I said previously, there was a building on the land and it was broken down, are broken blocks advisable for filling or is laterite a must?

Please keep the tips and advice coming, I appreciate all help.

Have a great day

Consider us for the electrical when the time comes.. You can check our various thread for previous work done.. Twinskenny

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Bungalow House Design / Ivory Court Xmas Sales @ 1.2m Instalment Plan Available / Borehole Drilling Companies And Costs In Nigeria 2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.