Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree (29655 Views)

Muslim Woman Decorates Hayap, CAN Chairman’s House With Christmas Tree In Kaduna / Muslim Woman Decorates Pastor’s House Ahead Of Christmas In Kaduna. Photo / "The Root Of Christmas Is Demonic" - Pastor Olukoya Of MFM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by ifenes(m): 11:55am On Dec 25, 2016
Let the Christians eat and drink to the pagan Astrological traditions they think started with them. The stars and Sun have always been celebrated. The Christians are the latest worshippers, do I say gateman/ gatewomen of the beautiful tradition. Change the Sun to Jesus and the celebration will continue

Merry Christmas Christians! You lots have been fooled!

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by veraiyke(m): 11:57am On Dec 25, 2016
asuustrike2009:
This has being said before but it would be hypocritical for anyone to condemn Christmas yet they celebrate birthdays, marriage anniversary, independence days e.t.c
you can celebrate it but don't hold that jesus was born in dec 25when you know otherwise

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by Ellegacy(m): 11:57am On Dec 25, 2016
Am not surprised. Their are set of people who calls themselves "Christian" and yet condem the birth of Jesus which his primary purpose is to save us from the second death(Now this same set of Christian doesn't believe in these death(Hell Fire). Even our brothers, the Muslim believe their is a second death.

So it doesnt surprise me when they don't celebrate Christmas. They are just same gullible pagan, with over sized suite and a stone age bag, dragging their feet around in the sand claiming to be evangelizing, and countering anything we so Christian believes in.

They're not Christian to me. They're just Jw or whatever they are.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by golddust6000(m): 12:01pm On Dec 25, 2016
Santa claus is a secret cult that lure children for sacrifice by giving them gift, santa claus father was a blood su ker demon that feed on human and drink their blood, even dracule of romania many of them. White ppl are demon from history till date
Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by jjcena(m): 12:02pm On Dec 25, 2016
[quote author=Ellegacy post=52242573]Am not surprised. Their are set of people who calls themselves "Christian" and yet condem the birth of Jesus which his primary purpose is to save us from the second death(Now this same set of Christian doesn't believe in these death(Hell Fire). Even our brothers, the Muslim believe their is a second death.

So it doesnt surprise me when they don't celebrate Christmas. They are just same gullible pagan, with over sized suite and a stone age bag, dragging their feet around in the sand claiming to be evangelizing, and countering anything we so Christian believes in.

They're not Christian to me. They're just Jw or whatever they are.[/quote

Wake up son of Man, there's a street church besides my window that won't allow me to sleep in peace, today their pastor is telling them that Christmas is a false teaching, that Dec 25 has nothing to do with Christ. Sooner or later you will understand.
Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by folem: 12:03pm On Dec 25, 2016
https://www.gotquestions.org/Christmas-Saturnalia.html

[size=16pt]Is Christmas related to Saturnalia?[/size]

Question: "Is Christmas related to Saturnalia?"

Answer:
 Christmas, the day on which Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, is in fact connected to the pagan festival known as Saturnalia—not, however, for the reasons some skeptics assume. Christianity has always been aware that December 25 is almost certainly not the actual date of Jesus’ birth. The early church did not celebrate December 25 as a day of any significance, and it wasn’t connected to the birth of Jesus until sometime during the reign of Constantine, several hundred years later.

Saturnalia was a week-long Roman festival honoring the god Saturn; since it started on December 17, it fell within what we now call the Christmas season. Interestingly, historical accounts differ about whether Saturnalia celebrations were examples of debauchery or charity. Some accounts mention the rich paying rent for the poor, masters and slaves exchanging clothes, and so forth on Saturnalia. Yet, for most of history, debauchery seems to dominate celebrations of the holiday; in fact, the wordSaturnalia became synonymous with immorality and carousing.

To modern eyes some Saturnalia customs come across as hedonistic perversions of Christmas traditions. For instance, singing from house to house naked, feasting excessively, eating baked goods shaped like people, and exchanging bawdy gifts. In reality, there’s good historical evidence suggesting that these events were reformed, absorbed, and transformed over time as a result of Christmas’ popularity overtaking that of Saturnalia.

The early motive for celebrating Jesus’ birth on December 25 was the same that inspires modern churches to hold “Fall Festivals” or “Bible Costume Parties” on October 31. That is, to provide a spiritually positive alternative to what they perceive as a pagan celebration. Another example is the modern holiday Kwanzaa, a celebration that mirrors the elements and timing of other holidays, with the intention of providing an alternative with a particular cultural focus. Over time, as the Roman Empire Christianized, customs associated with Saturnalia were “cleaned up” and absorbed into the celebration of Christmas.

The association between Christmas and Saturnalia is further supported by the existence of another Roman holiday, Sol Invictus, gradually absorbed by Christmas. Sol Invictus (“Invincible Sun”) celebrated, on December 25, the renewing of the Sun King and was linked to the winter solstice. Constantine, the first Christian emperor, was raised in this cult of the Unconquered Sun God, and he had a hand in turning Roman culture toward Christ and away from paganism. The first reliable historical evidence of Christmas being observed on December 25 dates from his reign.

So, Christians readily and comfortably acknowledge that the date, traditions, and long-term history of Christmas are connected to the pagan holidays of Saturnalia and Sol Invictus. Yet, like a family celebrating a Bible Costume Party onOctober 31, it’s the people celebrating who decide what the celebration means. Christians of centuries past chose December 25 as the day to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, the true “Unconquered King.” The use of this date continues today. Christmas and Saturnalia may be historical neighbors with indirect connections, but they are not the same holiday, and they never were.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by oneolajire(m): 12:03pm On Dec 25, 2016
What a pity! There is nothing you JWs can do to prevent us from celebrating the birth of our saviour. Do much more, you will always fail.

If you like, go and hug a transformer.
Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by veraiyke(m): 12:06pm On Dec 25, 2016
The reason for this piece is never to tell you to stop chrixmas but have the right idea about it. Almost every day one selects has a pagan history to it. But if we choose to celebrate it for good reasons fine. But don't say christ was born on dec 25 when he wasn't. We can say we are remembering christ life. Can I say you are born on dec 25 and go on to celebrate it when actually you know you were born in march or any other month. So if I use to celebrate my birthday today while I was born jan I would make it clear that it is just my wish for certain reasons but that I wasn't born in dec. It is only disheartening that christians are so emotional n gullible when these things are mentioned.
Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by brianero24(m): 12:08pm On Dec 25, 2016
Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by Dsrooftiles: 12:10pm On Dec 25, 2016
Ok
Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by vickeybrown92(m): 12:21pm On Dec 25, 2016
FagsamPHP:
Christmas is a jumble of ancient pagan customs invented by men, and a holiday found nowhere in d Bible, does God honor or accept such worship
Nowhere in the bible do we find any hint of a Christmas celebration or anything remotely like. If Christmas is an important celebration to honor, why is it nowhere mentioned in the Bible?? The Christmas holiday is largely a recycled pagan celebration
Nowhere in the Bible is there any record of anyone observing Christmas or any hint that God the Father or Jesus Christ expects us to do so..
The truth is that Christ never was in Christmas and it is not Jesus, but Satan who is the reason for the season.....
hey we are not celebrating the birth of jesus...but this day was set aside to celebrate the saviour..and the salvation given to humanity.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by driy65(m): 12:24pm On Dec 25, 2016
Ellegacy:
Am not surprised. Their are set of people who calls themselves "Christian" and yet condem the birth of Jesus which his primary purpose is to save us from the second death(Now this same set of Christian doesn't believe in these death(Hell Fire). Even our brothers, the Muslim believe their is a second death.

They're not Christian to me. They're just Jw or whatever they are.
lolzzz...see fatalityvmy brother leave dem make dem die with bad belle no be christmas day cox hunger 4 the land....as if na christians coz d recession

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by Rick9(m): 12:25pm On Dec 25, 2016
Sorry O.P don't have time to read this kinda lengthy epistle
Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by FagsamPHP(m): 12:26pm On Dec 25, 2016
vickeybrown92:
hey we are not celebrating the birth of jesus...but this day was set aside to celebrate the saviour..and the salvation given to humanity.

why December 25? Why not another date?
Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by Minemrys: 12:29pm On Dec 25, 2016
ifenes:
Let the Christians eat and drink to the pagan Astrological traditions they think started with them. The stars and Sun have always been celebrated. The Christians are the latest worshippers, do I say gateman/ gatewomen of the beautiful tradition. Change the Sun to Jesus and the celebration will continue

Merry Christmas Christians! You lots have been fooled!
do i sense sarcasm?
Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by Authentic2000: 12:31pm On Dec 25, 2016
Yes, it may not be the date of birth but it is the day set aside by the church to celebrate the birth of Christ.
So what is the fuss about ?

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by jjcena(m): 12:34pm On Dec 25, 2016
Authentic2000:
Yes, it may not be the date of birth but it is the day set aside by the church to celebrate the birth of Christ.
So what is the fuss about ?
[color=#990000][/color]
Bros go and read the documentation of Dec 25. The origin, purpose and what was attached to the date. Its very simple
Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by africanusvu(m): 12:38pm On Dec 25, 2016
OP,You knows the origin of all these yet you dont know the origin of you problems in life

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by vickeybrown92(m): 12:41pm On Dec 25, 2016
FagsamPHP:

why December 25? Why not another date?
..that is it...according to history they set out this day so it will cover up the sun god that was worshipped this day...because then in rome...many unbelievers who are on the verge of giving their life to christ...will not be persuaded of worshipping idol on that day but rather celebrate christ...so for centuries itz went on like that.

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by akoko11: 12:42pm On Dec 25, 2016
realGURU:
who does the statement below describe?
He walked on water, feed 5 thousand people with 5 loaves of bread but couldn't handle three nails on the cross
Are u a Christian? because this is blasphemy
Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by babajero(m): 12:43pm On Dec 25, 2016
Op Christmas is all about love peace and harmony just like Christ lived on earth. It doesn't have anything to do with theory or history, but I still Wonder why we have people who claim to know every thing like you, still Nigeria can't produce pencil.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by zubydave(m): 12:50pm On Dec 25, 2016
realGURU:
who does the statement below describe?
He walked on water, feed 5 thousand people with 5 loaves of bread but couldn't handle three nails on the cross

I don't know what you practice, but be careful what you say sometimes because things sometimes are not what they seem to be. Your post reminds one of what one of the two thieves on the cross said to Jesus. I say it again be careful Sis.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by monica40: 12:51pm On Dec 25, 2016
People of Biafra listen to the message that Chukwu Okike Abiama has for you.He say do not follow the way of Evil European religion Christianity is worthless.Biafrans Christmas is of the Devil when ever you Celebrate Christmas your Celebrate European Culture heathen religion.you can't find the word Christmas in Holy Scripture.Christmas period is a spirit from hell fire that make people feel well.Biafrans stop wasting your money to Celebrate pagan religion.No we're in Holy Scripture Chukwu Okike Abiama instructed us to Celebrate Christmas.Biafrans i am not against Christianity but i am against their Lies.European Leaders are Satanic,Devil,liars,they say Jesus was born on 25th December.Biafrans no we're in Holy Scripture told us Jesus was born on 25th December.Holy Scripture told us after the birth of Jesus Angle Gabrielle visit Jesus on six month in Hebrew Calendar in Evil European Calendar we use now is on nine month that when circumcision took place(Jeremiahv10)Biafrans there is other event in history or today anyone get tree and decorated with silver and gold but Christmas.you go to your church you see Christmas tree.on Christmas you went to forest and cut down Tree and decorated with silver and gold such idol are like scarecrows in field of melons all the work of artists they are dressed in violet and purple cloth woven by skilled weavers.But you Chukwu Okike Abiama are the True God you are the living God and the eternal king.Chukwu Okike Abiama there is no one like you.you are mighty,and your name is great and powerful.you deserve to be honoured.Biafrans stop Celebrate Christmas, parents stop taking your Children to shopping on Christmas is of the devil and come out from your man made Trash religion. Biafrans need to hold One million match to mock and burn these European man made white Jesus,crucifix,Rosary,Scapular and image Clay Mary and wipe out Baal Rev Fathers,Baal Bishops,Baal Pope Baal Pastors,Baal Archbishop out of Biafra land.brothers and sisters as soon as we start mocking and burning those images and statues the whole world will start talking about Biafra Nation.(2kings10v26v281samuel15v3-2Chronicles34v25-2Chronicles4)Biafrans mocking and burning those images and statues will liberate the whole African Nation and also Expose all the lies and Terrorist act Europeans ancestors did against African Nation with their Trash religion Christianity.The word Christianity is not Holy Scripture they are against the Holy Scripture.Christianity is false religion they are not doing what is in Holy Scripture.Biafrans obey Chukwu Okike Abiama the Europeans will beg us to Separate from zoo call Nigeria.Biafrans no were in Holy Scripture Chukwu OKike Abiama instructed us to make image or statues of man made white Jesus and image Clay Mary.Biafrans remember our Jesus is in heaven not in statues or images.Evil European brought those images and statues to destroy Exodusv20,Ten Commandment our Ancestors law and Religion Biafrans is not a crime to mock and burn those images and statue down your Fulfill the will of Chukwu Okike Abiama (2kings10V28)Biafrans remember we are not the first people to mock the Baal Prophet.Prophet Elijah also Mock them (1Kings18v25)This liberation Teaching it may sound bitter in your Ear but this 100% real Truth last day Teaching.please Biafra brothers and sister read( Jeremiah,chapter10)before you comment Chukwu Okike Abiama is talking Old Fashion of Holiness key to Biafra Restoration.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by Adamadam: 1:05pm On Dec 25, 2016
FagsamPHP:
Christmas is a jumble of ancient pagan customs invented by men, and a holiday found nowhere in d Bible, does God honor or accept such worship
Nowhere in the bible do we find any hint of a Christmas celebration or anything remotely like. If Christmas is an important celebration to honor, why is it nowhere mentioned in the Bible?? The Christmas holiday is largely a recycled pagan celebration
Nowhere in the Bible is there any record of anyone observing Christmas or any hint that God the Father or Jesus Christ expects us to do so..
The truth is that Christ never was in Christmas and it is not Jesus, but Satan who is the reason for the season.....
Good conclusion by those that have studied all chapters and verses of the Bible but what offence is committed in setting out December 25 to celebrate his birth? The Bible wrote about his birth at least.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by adegeye38(m): 1:07pm On Dec 25, 2016
Whatever, the origin, the history, the myths, the facts, the science.
we all generally agree that come december 25th the whole world celebrate, the birth of a man who change the world a we knew it, who brought redemption and salvation to man, through his sacrifice, reconciling mankind back to God and we only have to belief.

6 Likes

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by kelzgie: 1:15pm On Dec 25, 2016
rottennaija:
Jw right? What's your point?
With al d letters involved in this write up U din still get his point....bro, yur case is surely different..
Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by DangotePikin: 1:16pm On Dec 25, 2016
VictorRomanov:

That's not a JW website. This fact are there in history for everyone to read. It's just that only JWs choose to take it seriously.
not only jw. Deeper life too lol.
Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by Funkybabee(f): 1:17pm On Dec 25, 2016
whether it's idol things or pagans I have right and so happy to wish him birthday because his coming is a great privilege for me to save my life from sin.does it not worth it?
Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by Deicide: 1:30pm On Dec 25, 2016
emeijeh:
The Op is absolutely correct.
Christmas has never been a biblical feast.
It originated from the worship of the
sun god

We are not disputing that Christ was born, but he was never born on December 25.
Quote me anywhere
PS.
I am a christian
Jesus is the Sun God that's also the reason you go to church on the SUN day Christianity is paganism....
Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by Nobody: 1:30pm On Dec 25, 2016
veraiyke:
you can celebrate it but don't hold that jesus was born in dec 25when you know otherwise
We all know he wasn't born on that date that was why I posted this to silent some persons

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas Presents, Christmas Tree by Genea(f): 1:37pm On Dec 25, 2016
emeijeh:
The Op is absolutely correct.
Christmas has never been a biblical feast.
It originated from the worship of the
sun god

We are not disputing that Christ was born, but he was never born on December 25.
Quote me anywhere
PS.
I am a christian
if u adopt a child and the child's real birth date can't be accounted for, won't u allocate a date to him??

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mbaka: I Will Not Worship At Catholic Church Again - Nigerian Man / Now That T.B. Joshua's Prophecy Is True, Will You Visit/attend His Church? / What Is Nature Exactly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.