Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,269 members, 7,826,037 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? (21945 Views)

It Is Christmas, Not Xmas. / How Is Christmas Preparations In Your Location? / Is CHRISTMAS A Pagan Festival? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by murmee: 1:54am On Dec 26, 2016
psalmsjob:

Tell them o, all these "my pastor said" Christians. "Googlwe" the Bible yourself and see if you will find the word Christmas or any allusion to it being celebrated.

But I come to realize that telling most not to celebrate this Christmas thing as as Christian doctrine is like denying them the opportunity to eat rice and chicken or more offerings to church account.
For your information, according to the Bible, the birth of Jesus was celebrated. Open the Bible to Luke chapter 2 and read from verse 8 to 14. I want you to take particular note of verses 13 and 14. If that is not celebration, please tell me what it is. Now go to Matthew, chapter 2 and take particular note of verse 11. We all know that it is when a person is celebrated that gifts are presented to such person. Whether or not you want to acknowledge it, Jesus is supreme and worthy of celebration at Christmas and at all times!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by Caseless: 3:22am On Dec 26, 2016
echelons:
It's Christmas biko.

The X is the unknown variable as used in Mathematics (which means you can substitute the X for anything you want to celebrate on that day) and this is a result of watering down of all Christian values by Americans.

In America now, it's now likely you'll hear Happy Holidays than Merry Christmas on 25th December.

Sad
wrong. Characteristics is spelt in short form as "xtics" , Christian as "xtians", etc. "X" stands for "ch" and few letters that prefix it in a word.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by GreenCap: 4:57am On Dec 26, 2016
Christ is a dimunitive of the Greek word Christos meaning "the messaih" or Son of God.

as an altar boy when i was in Roman church, priests wore an inscription PX which is the acronym for Peace of Christ.

a group of protestants known as evangelicals celebrate Thanksgiving Day in place of "Christ's mass" observed by catholics.

mark my opinion. in the end we pentecostals will go back to our roots. afterall we all now build cathedrals and a lot of our bishops now wear "mitre hats" like the orthodox.

Christians ought to know that the death of Christ is more important than His birth.

happy Easter in advance

1 Like

Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by psalmsjob: 7:21am On Dec 26, 2016
murmee:
For your information, according to the Bible, the birth of Jesus was celebrated. Open the Bible to Luke chapter 2 and read from verse 8 to 14. I want you to take particular note of verses 13 and 14. If that is not celebration, please tell me what it is. Now go to Matthew, chapter 2 and take particular note of verse 11. We all know that it is when a person is celebrated that gifts are presented to such person. Whether or not you want to acknowledge it, Jesus is supreme and worthy of celebration at Christmas and at all times!

Heavenly host praising God as the angel appeared to the shepherd doesn't mean or says we should be doing all these fun fair to replicate that on 25th of December. If we are to be celebrating every instance where the birth of Jesus is mentioned in the Bible we probably will start from the garden of Eden. He expressly stated that the feast of the breaking of bread and the cup of wine representing his body and blood is what we should often do to remember him not his birth and he has supreme wisdom. The Pharisees whom Jesus often criticize had so many observances attached to the law of Moses just like this Christmas on 25th thing that you guys desperately want to cling to just to gratify your cravings in the guise of celebrating Jesus.

And the plate of rice and chicken you give to one another on 25th of December only is the gift you are giving to Jesus? He said we should love one another always; if you see some hungry give him food, someone without clothes give him etc. And we know how he said a Christian giving should be not for show; what your right hand gives the left hand should not know about it or else you have received your reward already.

Honestly, even for the show how many times do you give food or cash to your neighbors in a year? Or hiw many times do you and majority of these staunch Christmas-Christian preach Christ Jesus to them because he is the food that feeds the soul in the proper sense? It's all hypocrisy and worship of the unknown or better still worship of the pagan customs.

Better is the end d a thing than its beginning so says the Bible; and Jesus buttress this saying by instructing us to observe the breaking of bread and taking of the cup and partook in it even before he died and rose. Because that shows him supreme more than his birth does and his life and death only gives significance to his death and resurrection.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by pressplay411(m): 8:44am On Dec 26, 2016
echelons:
It's Christmas biko.

The X is the unknown variable as used in Mathematics (which means you can substitute the X for anything you want to celebrate on that day) and this is a result of watering down of all Christian values by Americans.

In America now, it's now likely you'll hear Happy Holidays than Merry Christmas on 25th December.

Sad

Though you're wrong but that was an intelligent explanation.

The term Xmas predates all the conundrum and ant-christ movements in USA, so it couldn't possibly be the reason.
As the Op rightly submitted, X is an abbreviation for Christ, period.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by Revolva(m): 9:25am On Dec 26, 2016
because its d day when Bleep tin happens...gals become wild...hahah n bang anyhow
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by Odani: 9:30am On Dec 26, 2016
Kenth3433:
This rubbish made FP

I weak....

Can someone explain why I spell characteristics as "Xtics" or christian "Xtain"

Thank U my dear very few of us get sense this days
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by nelxxy(m): 11:42am On Dec 26, 2016
psalmsjob:

It's not about a day thing if it's to be grateful to God for the gift of Christ, it's a moment by moment thing that's always and the joy of it flows like a river for those that believe.

Setting a day aside even if it's not 25th of December diminishes the value and makes it more like a pegan thing or idolatry. That is exactly how those kings of Israel set up high places thinking to themselves that they are still serving Jehovah.

If God wants us to do it like it's being done now he would have said so expressly in the Bible as he commanded us about the breaking of the bread and the cup of wine.

The devil has a crafty way of sugarcoating things contrary to God's will by making them look like it's service to God whereas it just human doctrine and self gratification.

And about the guy I quoted that you said he isn't a Christian well God uses everything and everyone the way he likes to so let's not judge anyone since we don't know all things.
shut up
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by psalmsjob: 11:56am On Dec 26, 2016
nelxxy:
shut up
I have spoken already! It is you that just shut-yourself-up because you lack what to say or ability to reason. shocked
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by ozoneboy(m): 1:29pm On Dec 26, 2016
opalu:
Why is it that it is only we Christians that downgrade and neutralise our godly heritage and come up with baseless and useless explanations and justifications to back up the anomalies.

If not what is X? It is an Unknown. X can be frog or a number or a Lizard or an X-boyfriend or an X whatever. You have the temerity to wish someone Merry X-mas. Nonsense. You replace CHRIST in the equation with an Unknown factor X. Why don't you call yourself an X-tian instead of christian
That was how some gangs of Ungodly folks decided to replace In Jesus' Name with 'IJN'. Yet God gave this Same Christ the Name that is above all names. Not the Initial that is above all initials.
When next you are faced with danger, don't call the name Jesus. Call your IJN. Anofia
Infidels!!

calling someone anofia,is it a christian thing to do?,wots the different between who xmass,and you using abusive word?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by alatbaba1(m): 6:56am On Dec 29, 2016
KissChrix:
I strive hard to call it Christmas, calling it Xmas gives Me this feeling

Xmas is just an abbreviation, nowadays, a lot of words have been abbreviated

Hw abt "Alpha (Α or α) and omega (Ω or ω)" it's a Greek word n also called with Jesus Christ.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by alatbaba1(m): 6:58am On Dec 29, 2016
Kenth3433:
This rubbish made FP

I weak....

Can someone explain why I spell characteristics as "Xtics" or christian "Xtain"

Hw abt "Alpha (Α or α) and omega (Ω or ω)" it's a Greek word n also called with Jesus Christ.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by alatbaba1(m): 7:00am On Dec 29, 2016
opalu:
Why is it that it is only we Christians that downgrade and neutralise our godly heritage and come up with baseless and useless explanations and justifications to back up the anomalies.

If not what is X? It is an Unknown. X can be frog or a number or a Lizard or an X-boyfriend or an X whatever. You have the temerity to wish someone Merry X-mas. Nonsense. You replace CHRIST in the equation with an Unknown factor X. Why don't you call yourself an X-tian instead of Christian?

That was how some gangs of Ungodly folks decided to replace In Jesus' Name with 'IJN'. Yet God gave this Same Christ the Name that is above all names. Not the Initial that is above all initials.
When next you are faced with danger, don't call the name Jesus. Call your IJN. Anofia
Infidels!!

Hw abt "Alpha (Α or α) and omega (Ω or ω)" it's a Greek word n also called Jesus Christ.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by alatbaba1(m): 7:03am On Dec 29, 2016
lotex:
In mathematics, 'X' is considered as an unknown number....Now its like using unknown name in place of CHRIST...Its not proper for me

Hw abt "Alpha (Α or α) and omega (Ω or ω)" it's a Greek word n also called with Jesus Christ. also used in mathematical expression.
Re: Why Is Christmas Called Xmas? by alatbaba1(m): 7:10am On Dec 29, 2016
maybrowne:

So you mean to tell me that the "X" that I know for how many years now is actually the abbreviation for "Christ"

Oh, so dat means that
X-ray = Christ-ray

hmm-hmm, okay, I see, OP kwantinew

But before you go, let me pray for you

Oya knell down, fast!!!!! Faster!!!!!!!

Shout Jesus Christ, shout loud!!!!!!! Louder!!!!!

Say every power that is using my sense to be playing X and O which now allows me to be easily brainwashed, father let such power catch fire now In The Mighty Name of Jesus.

Amen.

Peace be unto you.

Hw abt "Alpha (Α or α) and omega (Ω or ω)" it's a Greek word n also called with Jesus Christ. it's also a mathematical expression.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland / Ozubulu Youths Protest, Demand To Know The Cause Of The Catholic Church Killings / Matter And Mind

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.