Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,900 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:48 PM

Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland (21898 Views)

Nigerian Man Rebukes Church Of Satan On Twitter. The Church Fires Back / Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married / Pope Francis Kisses And Blesses Nigerian Boy Who Went Missing In Rome. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by FreeStuffsNG: 8:47pm On Nov 11, 2023
Pope Francis has fired the Texan bishop Joseph Strickland, a fierce critic who has questioned the Pope's leadership of the Catholic church.

The Vatican said the bishop would be "relieved" of his duties as a result of investigations at his Diocese of Tyler.

Bishop Strickland is a leading voice in a branch of US Catholicism that is opposed to the Pope's reforms.

His removal comes after Francis spoke of the "backwardness" of some US Catholic church leaders.

Bishop Strickland has launched a series of attacks on the Pope's attempts to update the Church's position on social matters and inclusion, including on abortion, transgender rights and same-sex marriage.

In July, he warned that many "basic truths" of Catholic teaching were being challenged, including what he called attempts to "undermine" marriage "as instituted by God" being only between a man and a woman.

He criticised as "disordered" the attempts of those who "reject their undeniable biological God-given identity".

His letter suggested that attempts to change "that which cannot be changed" would lead to an irrevocable schism in the Church. Those seeking change, he warned, "are the true schismatics".

Bishop Strickland was under investigation by the Vatican and had previously declined the opportunity to resign, and in an open letter in September challenged the Pope to fire him.

"I cannot resign as Bishop of Tyler because that would be me abandoning the flock," he said.

The right-wing "Coalition for Canceled Priests" held a conference earlier this year to support him during the investigation.

The Vatican said that the decision to fire him "came after an apostolic visitation ordered by the Pope last June in the Diocese of Tyler". According to Catholic media, the investigation also looked at the handling of financial affairs at the diocese.

Bishop Strickland, 65, was appointed bishop in 2012, while Benedict XVI was pope.

It all follows significant attempts made by the Pope to make the Church more progressive during his papacy.

On Thursday, the Vatican announced that transgender people can be baptised in the Catholic Church, as long as doing so does not cause scandal or "confusion".

In October, he suggested that the Church would be open to bless same-sex couples, as he told a group of cardinals "we cannot be judges who only deny, reject and exclude".

Speaking at a meeting at the World Youth Day celebrations in Lisbon the Pope said the backwardness of some people was "useless".

"Doing this you lose the true tradition and you turn to ideologies to have support. In other words, ideologies replace faith," he added.

Climate change has also been a key pillar of his papacy - from a landmark paper on the environment in 2015 to recent warnings that the world may be "nearing breaking point" due to climate change.

He has also strongly condemned climate deniers and will be at the United Nations' Climate Summit (COP28) later this month - the first time a pope has attended the event since they began in 1995.

The Vatican said that the Diocese of Tyler would be temporarily administered by Bishop Joe Vasquez of Austin.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67390366

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by FreeStuffsNG: 8:47pm On Nov 11, 2023
Pray for the catholic Church in same manner as you pray for Ukraine, Russia, Isreal and Palestine.

The Church is at war with itself and truth. Even here in Nigeria, the Catholics are at war with themselves and the truth. Some are in favour of the reforms and saying " Yes Daddy " upandan while some are opposed to it but can't speak up against it because they are scared of losing. Father Mbaka and other Nigerian Catholics would have reacted to this if it's local Nigerian politics, endorsing candidates. For the supporters of Father Mbaka, this doesn't involve attacking the Bishop of Enugu Diocese. Father Kuka would have written a long piece to lambast our leaders as not being truthful.

So what's the truth? With account of how they have used their influence to interpret and dispense their faith, could the Catholic Church be today facing its past? At some point in the world, they were the only one with the original scrolls and its content.

To what extent can they 'reform' and to what extent in the past have they reformed the original scrolls content of today's authority from which the Christian faith draws its doctrines?This Catholic sef. Let us just pray for them.Check my signature for free stuffs!

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by jaeyking(m): 8:51pm On Nov 11, 2023
undecided undecided
Same-sex is sinful
Stealing is sinful
Fornication or adultery is sinful

Turn away from sin and accept Christ's nature

But then

Love your neighbours as you love yourself.

Don't judge

85 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by slickbak(m): 9:05pm On Nov 11, 2023
The number of catholics has dropped drastically over the years and the papacy knows it will be obsolete without inclusive reform.

11 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by Wisereborn: 9:25pm On Nov 11, 2023
This pope seems to be legalizing what God Himself loathe

Just like that of the old, when Abraham was pleading for Sodom and Gomorrah, if God should ask Abraham again, can we even find 5 righteous people in this world

Word of advice: don't depend on man. Depend on God's words and his teachings, know your Bible inside out. So that you can stand firm at all times for the end time is near!!!

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by MadamExcellency: 9:30pm On Nov 11, 2023
This is violation of rule No. 1. Please post all threads in the right section

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by Kukutente23: 9:46pm On Nov 11, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Pray for the catholic Church in same manner as you pray for Ukraine, Russia, Isreal and Palestine.

The Church is at war with itself and truth. Even here in Nigeria, the Catholics are at war with themselves and the truth. Some are in favour of the reforms and saying " Yes Daddy " upandan while some are opposed to it but can't speak up against it because they are scared of losing. Father Mbaka and other Nigerian Catholics would have reacted to this if it's local Nigerian politics, endorsing candidates. For the supporters of Father Mbaka, this doesn't involve attacking the Bishop of Enugu Diocese. Father Kuka would have written a long piece to lambast our leaders as not being truthful.

So what's the truth? With account of how they have used their influence to interpret and dispense their faith, could the Catholic Church be today facing its past? At some point in the world, they were the only one with the original scrolls and its content.

To what extent can they 'reform' and to what extent in the past have they reformed the content of today's authority from which the Christian faith draws its doctrines from?This Catholic sef. Let us just pray for them.Check my signature for free stuffs!
Everything is politics to you
You sound narrow-minded and myopic
As to your last line, be informed that protestant bibles was written by a committee of scholars commissioned by King James and not the Catholic Church.
The Catholic Church was still stuck with the vulgate when KJV was released in early 17th century.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by FreeStuffsNG: 10:06pm On Nov 11, 2023
Kukutente23:

Everything is politics to you
You sound narrow-minded and myopic
As to your last line, be informed that protestant bibles was written by a committee of scholars commissioned by King James and not the Catholic Church.
The Catholic Church was still stuck with the vulgate when KJV was released in early 17th century.
I hardly read comments from uncouth people and neither do I respond to uncouth comments, I just report them to mods.

The first English translation was done by William Tyndale. Prior to that, most of us have no clue of what could be today's equivalent of 'reforms. Some of the errors of Tyndale still remain till date including the error in inserting the name James itself in the English Bible translation among many other errors that existed even before Politicians like King James stepped in. I know these things and my point has always been , are the ones where there are no errors sufficient for salvation? I believe so.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by Kukutente23: 10:41pm On Nov 11, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

I hardly read comments from uncouth people and neither do I respond to uncouth comments, I just report them to mods.

The first English translation was done by William Tyndale. Prior to that, most of us have no clue of what could be today's equivalent of 'reforms. Some of the errors of Tyndale still remain till date including the error in inserting the name James itself in the English Bible translation among many other errors that existed even before Politicians like King James stepped in. I know these things and my point has always been , are the ones where there are no errors sufficient for salvation? I believe so.
Tyndale translated from original Hebrew and Greek manuscripts not the Catholic vulgate. By mentioning Tyndale you contradicted your earlier claim that the Catholic Church might have diluted the truth in the scripture. It was that exact suspicion that made Tyndale avoid the Vulgate.
I don't know what you mean by Tyndale's error. What difference does it make if a name is James, Joses or John? That's frivolous I think.
King James was not a politician. He was a monarch as his title implies. He sought translations not for political purposes since he already believed in the divine right of Kings. It was Henry viii who needed the bible for validation of his proclivities

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by jesusjnr2020(m): 2:44am On Nov 12, 2023
Matthew 15:13 (KJV)

But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by Kobojunkie: 3:01am On Nov 12, 2023
Pope simply exercising his political power. The man was simply being silly. You don't enter a corporation, begin to oppose the CEO and not expect him to cut you off when he finally becomes tired of your shenanigans. undecided

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by Dtruthspeaker: 6:18am On Nov 12, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

The Church is at war with itself and truth. Even here in Nigeria, the Catholics are at war with themselves and the truth.

Pray to who? father Tansi or pope John Paul?

The one who owns the church wants to reveal himself so they are not at war. They are just performing.

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by Dtruthspeaker: 6:21am On Nov 12, 2023
slickbak:
The number of catholics has dropped drastically over the years and the papacy knows it will be obsolete without inclusive reform.

So they are taking in the outcasts and abominations of the earth so that their pews will not die of cold.

13 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by Dtruthspeaker: 6:24am On Nov 12, 2023
Wisereborn:
[b]This pope seems to be legalizing what God Himself loathe...

God's Word must all ways be fulfilled.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by kkins25(m): 9:01am On Nov 12, 2023
Wisereborn:
This pope seems to be legalizing what God Himself loathe

Just like that of the old, when Abraham was pleading for Sodom and Gomorrah, if God should ask Abraham again, can we even find 5 righteous people in this world

Word of advice: don't depend on man. Depend on God's words and his teachings, know your Bible inside out. So that you can stand firm at all times for the end time is near!!!

Take note, God didn't destroy Sodom and Gomorrah because of homosexuality. The people wanted to rape the "visitors" as a means to humiliate them. I wouldn't even say "God' destroyed, but rather the "visitors" destroyed.

Don't you question why lot was willing to give up his only daughters to be raped to death? As a matter of fact, it was not righteousness that saved lot, it was simply his connection to Abraham. That was all. I've seen Christian authors try to concert shenanigans (subconscious infiltration of thoughts kobo!!!) to claim that lot was righteous. Will a righteous man throw out his daughters like that? Think godamnit! Think!

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by fredoooooo: 9:10am On Nov 12, 2023
Religion and hypocrisy grin cheesy
Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by Randal: 9:11am On Nov 12, 2023
Sharp
Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by Matrix137(m): 9:11am On Nov 12, 2023
It's now obvious that this whole LGBTQ nonsense is orchestrated by the enemy to bring corruption to our mortal bodies. The devil's time is short so he is firing on all cylinders trying to drag human souls to his final abode. Brethren, as we await the glorious appearing of the son of man, let our hearts not be moved. He is coming to restore the eternal order and bring forth our sanctification. We can only say "Amen" come Lord Jesus.

Please guys I'm attending an online skill acquisition class and my Data just exhausted and i have no funds to renew. Please I humbly appeal for airtime or data assistance by a kind hearted fellow here.

080 61 34 74 81 MTN. God bless.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by ROYALMAXCLEANER: 9:11am On Nov 12, 2023
cool
Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by Jokerman(m): 9:12am On Nov 12, 2023
Can sacking stop truth?

8 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by sylve11: 9:13am On Nov 12, 2023
Lol

If you talk true, you die! 😆 🤣 cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by Franknews1: 9:13am On Nov 12, 2023
KogiDecides2023: Securities are Over Subscribed - Dino Melaye Addresses Press
Watch video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXwgUkEsC3A
Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by Factfinder1(m): 9:14am On Nov 12, 2023
The fall of the Catholic church

11 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by BigBlackPreek(m): 9:14am On Nov 12, 2023
Politics is everywhere even in the church

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by koxovab7(m): 9:14am On Nov 12, 2023
Ok we have heard u
Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by seunlayi(m): 9:16am On Nov 12, 2023
Imagine
Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by AbuTwins: 9:17am On Nov 12, 2023
You mustn't attack your superior even if he errs!

Pope is another god in the Catholic church!
Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by kaludestiny10(m): 9:17am On Nov 12, 2023
End time manifestations
Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by Sizwezi: 9:19am On Nov 12, 2023
Bishop Strickland is right ! The Pope is wrong !

18 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by ReacherSaidNoth: 9:19am On Nov 12, 2023
Even as an Atheist I find transgenderism absolutely disgusting, no one should enable mental illness. The Pope is going to choke on this complete acceptance bullshit.

17 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Fires Bishop Joseph Strickland by SavageResponse(m): 9:20am On Nov 12, 2023
slickbak:

So because of that they should allow all sorts of nonsense from homos and other such confused persons?

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Stop & Think: Did God Create Any Religion? / The Greatest Miracle In Islam / Parable Of The Rich Man And Lazarus: What Was The Sin Of The Rich Man?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.