Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,999 members, 7,817,950 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Ten Things You Never Knew About..... Boxing Day - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ten Things You Never Knew About..... Boxing Day (667 Views)

Drama In Morgue As 4 Women Claim Body Of Man Each Knew As Their Husband / If You Knew What You Know Now, Would You Marry Your Spouse? / If You Knew All You Knew About Yourself, Would U Marry Someone Exactly Like U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Things You Never Knew About..... Boxing Day by Glory12345(f): 10:53am On Dec 26, 2016
1. According to the Oxford English Dictionary That I Checked on my Infinix Zero 4 this Morning I Found Out That, Boxing Day is a “holiday, on which post-men, errand-boys, and servants of various kinds expect to receive a Christmas-box”.

2. It has also been suggested that the term related to alms boxes left for the poor by churches.

3. However the earliest known use of the term Boxing Day dates back only to 1833 when the above practices were already dying away.

4. Boxing Day is also known as the Feast of Stephen as St Stephen’s Day is December 26.

5. Hunting wrens was once a popular activity on Boxing Day in Ireland. Killing them was thought unlucky on other days.

6. “No man ever talked in poetry ’cept a beadle on Boxin’ Day.” (Pickwick Papers, Charles Dickens).

7. In 1994, South Africa changed its name for Boxing Day to Day of Goodwill.

8. December 26 is National Thanksgiving Day in the Solomon Islands and Family Day in Vanuatu.

9. It is Independence and Unity Day in Slovenia and Mummer’s Day in Padstow, Cornwall.

10. A petition to prevent shops from opening on Boxing Day has attracted more than 200,000 signatures and will now be debated by Parliament.

Enjoy As You Read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Ten Things You Never Knew About..... Boxing Day by samtee37(m): 11:13am On Dec 26, 2016
Seriously?
Anyway. First to comment..

Wishing all my nairaland crushes.. shocked.. Happy boxing day

Guys Pls, I won't mind any type of box as a gift ooooo...

grin grin
Re: Ten Things You Never Knew About..... Boxing Day by Glory12345(f): 11:16am On Dec 26, 2016
Happy Boxing Day To U TOO
Re: Ten Things You Never Knew About..... Boxing Day by Kxngstein(m): 11:32am On Dec 26, 2016
11. December 26 in Nigeria is the day of sending people to coma by punching the daylight out of them

1 Like

Re: Ten Things You Never Knew About..... Boxing Day by Glory12345(f): 11:34am On Dec 27, 2016
Kxngstein:
11. December 26 in Nigeria is the day of sending people to coma by punching the daylight out of them
lol grin

1 Like

Re: Ten Things You Never Knew About..... Boxing Day by Glory12345(f): 11:08am On Dec 28, 2016
Hmmm

(1) (Reply)

Question!what Will You Do If Your Child's Teacher Brutalized Your Child Like Thi / Mothers Day Special: Older Moms May Raise Better- Behaved Kids – Here ' S Why / Top 5 Causes Of Sexual Dissatisfaction In Marriages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.