Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,090 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison (22063 Views)

Gabriel Suswam Laughing As DSS Releases Him From Prison (Photos) / Olusegun Obasanjo Shortly After His Release From Prison (throwback) / Military Did Not Release Awolowo/ dasuki/ooni-ife,why sonekan was removed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 10:32pm On Dec 28, 2016
I will introduce this thread with some dates

September 1963 Awolowo was sentenced and housed in Calabar Priso

15 January 1966 Military Coup by Nzeogwu

16 January 1966 Ironsi takes over as Head of State

17 January 1966 Ojukwu Appointed as Governor of the Eastern Region

29 July 1966 Counter Coup By Northern Officers

1 August 1966 Gowon Takes over as head of State

Awolowo released from Prison 3 August 1966

So Ojukwu was in power as Governor from January 17 1966 and did not release Awolowo.

Then Gowion Takes over on 1 August 1966 and Awolowo is released on 3 August 1966 and we are asked to believe it was Ojukwu and not Gowon who released him

These folk must really take everyone for a fool

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by CltrAltDel: 10:37pm On Dec 28, 2016
Who takes LIEIPODS serious

20 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by CandyDiamond(f): 10:44pm On Dec 28, 2016
You are on your own,[/b]even Gowon himself said that it was Ojukwu that release Owolowo from prison[b].It was on record, don't twist fact.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Fremancipation: 10:44pm On Dec 28, 2016
Short answer: yes

Long answer: yes

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 10:48pm On Dec 28, 2016
CandyDiamond:
You are on your own,[/b]even Gowon himself said that it was Ojukwu that release Owolowo from prison[b].It was on record, don't twist fact.
He said that? When where?

15 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 10:49pm On Dec 28, 2016
CandyDiamond:

You folk have no shame. You lie like children
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/191679-why-i-released-awolowo-from-prison-gowon.html

A former Nigerian Head of State, Yakubu Gowon, on Thursday said his administration released the late Obafemi Awolowo from prison to end the political unrest in the South West and ensure peace across the country.

Mr. Gowon, who spoke to journalists after paying condolence visit to the Awolowos at Ikenne, also noted that he was privileged to have been used by God to ensure release of the late sage from prison.

The former head of state, who was at Ikenne on account of the death of HID Awowolo, disclosed that the late matriarch was the one who persuaded Mr. Awolowo to be part of his military government.

“’It was my fortune and I thank God that it was me that had the opportunity to release Papa from prison from Calabar to Lagos and certainly to be able to help us have peace in the West at that time and then we came,” Mr. Gowon recalled.

“Mama was very happy and very grateful for what has happened and I can assure you, that is what earned me the respect of Mama right throughout her life. But yes, what we did was alright.

“There was also a need to get papa involved and that would probably seal what we wanted to achieve, especially in the West, which was at the time pretty dicey.‎

“You’d remember Operation Wetie and then the coup and what not. So we had to seek mama’s support to see if we can get papa to come and join the government to help and of course, our hope was that when that happened we would be able to finish as quickly as possible so that we can return to democracy.

‘Yes, we really pleaded with mama; she was the one who encouraged papa to accept that invitation and so, for that, we ever remain grateful to her for what she did.‎

“You know what happened after then; we had government not totally military but with some political juggernauts as the saying goes and we were able to start in making a move towards returning to normalcy.”

Mr. Gowon also shed light on the reasons his government delayed the return to civil rule, even when it was expected to have ruled for short time.

“Let me tell you this; it was not easy. When I became Head of State, I hoped that three months, six months the most, we would be done. But when you have problems in a nation, it is not easy to do them overnight. So, you’ve always got to give time and you’ve got to be patient for leaders to be able to get things in order,” he explained.

Mr. Gowon urged Nigerians to be patient and give Mr. Buhari more time for his administration to solve the problems of the country.‎

“Whenever any government comes in, give them time to be able to really put things right. Nigeria is not an easy place to govern,” he said.

“I can assure you there are as many problems as there are Nigerians in the world and everybody wants to do things in a particular way, in his own way and probably for his own interest. And you think of that, how are you going to get all that put together and put things right?

“I think we’ve got to be patient and then we’ve got to cooperate with the government to do the right thing. Always never be tired in telling the government what needed to be done in order to improve things.”

Mr. Gowon also noted that in paying tributes to the late matriarch it was impossible to mention Mr. Awolowo himself, who he said was instrumental to some of the successes recorded by his military

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by T9ksy(m): 10:50pm On Dec 28, 2016
CandyDiamond:

Yeboos lies are recorded as FACTS but only in alaibo.

26 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 10:51pm On Dec 28, 2016
http://guardian.ng/news/awos-wife-convinced-him-to-join-my-government-says-gowon/

Gowon said: “How did she woo Papa to our side? I am fortunate that I had the opportunity to release Chief Awolowo from prison and he returned to Lagos, certainly to be able to help us secure peace in the Western Region at that time.

13 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 10:53pm On Dec 28, 2016
T9ksy:

Yeboos lies are recorded as FACTS but only in alaibo.

I wonder o

The Man was in office from January 17 and did not release him

Gowon came in on August 1 he was released on August 3 and we are to believe it was Ojukwu

These folk are truly shameless

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Nobody: 10:58pm On Dec 28, 2016
Liepod, repod Massob is as fake as d mighty empty chesbeaters

18 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by CandyDiamond(f): 11:02pm On Dec 28, 2016
omonnakoda:

You folk have no shame. You lie like children
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/191679-why-i-released-awolowo-from-prison-gowon.html

A former Nigerian Head of State, Yakubu Gowon, on Thursday said his administration released the late Obafemi Awolowo from prison to end the political unrest in the South West and ensure peace across the country.

Mr. Gowon, who spoke to journalists after paying condolence visit to the Awolowos at Ikenne, also noted that he was privileged to have been used by God to ensure release of the late sage from prison.

The former head of state, who was at Ikenne on account of the death of HID Awowolo, disclosed that the late matriarch was the one who persuaded Mr. Awolowo to be part of his military government.

“’It was my fortune and I thank God that it was me that had the opportunity to release Papa from prison from Calabar to Lagos and certainly to be able to help us have peace in the West at that time and then we came,” Mr. Gowon recalled.

“Mama was very happy and very grateful for what has happened and I can assure you, that is what earned me the respect of Mama right throughout her life. But yes, what we did was alright.

“There was also a need to get papa involved and that would probably seal what we wanted to achieve, especially in the West, which was at the time pretty dicey.‎

“You’d remember Operation Wetie and then the coup and what not. So we had to seek mama’s support to see if we can get papa to come and join the government to help and of course, our hope was that when that happened we would be able to finish as quickly as possible so that we can return to democracy.

‘Yes, we really pleaded with mama; she was the one who encouraged papa to accept that invitation and so, for that, we ever remain grateful to her for what she did.‎

“You know what happened after then; we had government not totally military but with some political juggernauts as the saying goes and we were able to start in making a move towards returning to normalcy.”

Mr. Gowon also shed light on the reasons his government delayed the return to civil rule, even when it was expected to have ruled for short time.

“Let me tell you this; it was not easy. When I became Head of State, I hoped that three months, six months the most, we would be done. But when you have problems in a nation, it is not easy to do them overnight. So, you’ve always got to give time and you’ve got to be patient for leaders to be able to get things in order,” he explained.

Mr. Gowon urged Nigerians to be patient and give Mr. Buhari more time for his administration to solve the problems of the country.‎

“Whenever any government comes in, give them time to be able to really put things right. Nigeria is not an easy place to govern,” he said.

“I can assure you there are as many problems as there are Nigerians in the world and everybody wants to do things in a particular way, in his own way and probably for his own interest. And you think of that, how are you going to get all that put together and put things right?

“I think we’ve got to be patient and then we’ve got to cooperate with the government to do the right thing. Always never be tired in telling the government what needed to be done in order to improve things.”

Mr. Gowon also noted that in paying tributes to the late matriarch it was impossible to mention Mr. Awolowo himself, who he said was instrumental to some of the successes recorded by his military
[/b]This is just a soothing words[b],Owolowo was released by Ojukwu,his accomplices stayed in Enugu during the civil war,Owolowo was sent to his people by Ojukwu to prepare the west for Nigeria breakup,but he allowed himself to be compromised by Gowon when northerners promise him heaven on earth

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Chef2000: 11:03pm On Dec 28, 2016
Cc: 0xtr139r
Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by EternalTruths: 11:03pm On Dec 28, 2016
omonnakoda:

So Ojukwu was in power as Governor from January 17 1966 and did not release Awolowo.

Then Gowion Takes over on 1 August 1966 and Awolowo is released on 3 August 1966 and we are asked to believe it was Ojukwu and not Gowon who released him

Afonjas are educated but not wise

Did Ojukwu recognize Gowon's coup.? No

So how can Gowon free Awo in a region controlled by Ojukwu

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 11:09pm On Dec 28, 2016
EternalTruths:

Afonjas are educated but not wise

Did Ojukwu recognize Gowon's coup.? No

So how can Gowon free Awo in a region controlled by Ojukwu
I don't know book all I know is he was released two days after Gowon took office and Several months after Ojukwu took office. He was released and taken straight to Gowon. Gowon claimes he released him as did Ojukwu. Who do I believe and who has a track record as a liar?

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by zendy: 11:14pm On Dec 28, 2016
If Awolowo was released on the 3rd of August 1966, it actually supports the belief that Awolowo was released by Ojukwu.

Even though Ironsi was overthrown on the 29th of July, no one was really incharge of Nigeria for the next few days.

The first time Nigerians knew that Gowon had taken over was when he made his first announcement on the 4th of August 1966. So there is no way Gowon could have released Awolowo. For Gowon to have released Awolowo, he would have been in a position of authority for much longer.

The only person in a position of authority to have released Awolowo on the 3rd of August was Ojukwu

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 11:14pm On Dec 28, 2016
CandyDiamond:

[/b]This is just a soothing words[b],Owolowo was released by Ojukwu,his accomplices stayed in Enugu during the civil war,Owolowo was sent to his people by Ojukwu to prepare the west for Nigeria breakup,but he allowed himself to be compromised by Gowon when northerners promise him heaven on earth

General Awolowo was SENT to the west to prepare the 2nd Mechanized Division for break up based on how many days discussion with Ojukwu? Or based on their Previous acquaintance as members of Peoples Club..........Odogwu?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 11:15pm On Dec 28, 2016
zendy:
If Awolowo was released on the 3rd of August 1966, it actually supports the belief that Awolowo was released by Ojukwu.

Even though Ironsi was overthrown on the 29th of July, no one was really incharge of Nigeria for the next few days.

The first time Nigerians knew that Gowon had taken over was when he made his first announcement on the 4th of August 1966. So there is no way Gowon could have released Awolowo. For Gowon to have released Awolowo, he would have been in a position of authority for much longer.

The only person in a position of authority to have released Awolowo on the 3rd of August was Ojukwu
Gowon took over on 1 August 1966

20 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by zendy: 11:35pm On Dec 28, 2016
omonnakoda:

Gowon took over on 1 August 1966

Not possible. Dont forget that the aim of the counter coup was not to make Gowon head of state. It was actually to seceed Northern Nigeria out of Nigeria. It took some days of negotiations to convince Murtala Mohammed and his fellow Northern coupists to drop the idea of secession and to recognise Gowon as head of state. So there is no way Ironsi could have been overthrown on the 29th of July and Gowon take over 2 days later. Nigeria had no recognised head of state as at the 1st of August.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 11:40pm On Dec 28, 2016
zendy:

Not possible. Dont forget that the aim of the counter coup was not to make Gowon head of state. It was actually to seceed Northern Nigeria out of Nigeria. It took some days of negotiations to convince Murtala Mohammed and his fellow Northern coupists to drop the idea of secession and to recognise Gowon as head of state. So there is no way Ironsi could have been overthrown on the 29th of July and Gowon take over 2 days later. Nigeria had no recognised head of state as at the 1st of August.
You people just lie like children

BROADCAST BY LT. COL. YAKUBU GOWON, AUGUST 1, 1966

‘No Trust or Confidence in a Unitary System of Government’: Lt.-Col. Gowon’s Broadcast on the Assumption of Office, 1 August 1966

This is Lt-Col. Y. Gowon, Army Chief of Staff, speaking to you.

My fellow countrymen, the year 1966 has certainly been a fateful year for our beloved country, Nigeria. I have been brought to the position today of having to shoulder the great responsibilities of this country and the armed forces with the consent of the majority of the members of the Supreme Military Council as a result of the unfortunate incident that occurred on the early morning of 29th July 1966.

However, before I dwell on the sad issue of 29th July 1966, I would like to recall to you the sad and unfortunate incidents of 15th January 1966 which bear relevance. According to the certain well-known facts, which have so far not been disclosed to the nation and the world, the country was plunged into a national disaster by the grave and unfortunate action taken by a section of the Army against the public. By this I mean that a group of officers, in conjunction with certain civilians, decided to overthrow the legal government of the day; but their efforts were thwarted by the inscrutable discipline and loyalty of the great majority of the Army and the other members of the armed forces and the police. The Army was called upon to take up the reins of government until such time that law and order had been restored. The attempt to overthrow the government of the day was done by eliminating political leaders and high-ranking Army officers, a majority of whom came from a particular section of the country. The Prime Minister lost his life during this uprising. But for the outstanding discipline and loyalty of the members of the Army who are most affected, and the other members of the armed forces and the police, the situation probably could have degenerated into a civil war.

There followed a period of determined effort of reconstruction ably shouldered by Maj-Gen. J. T. U. Aguiyi-Ironsi but, unfortunately, certain parties caused suspicion and grave doubts of the Government’s sincerity in several quarters. Thus, coupled with the already unpleasant experience of the 15th January still fresh in the minds of the majority of the people, certain parts of the country decided to agitate against the military regime which ad hitherto enjoyed country-wide support. It was, unfortunately, followed by serious rioting and bloodshed in many cities and towns in the north.

There followed a period of uneasy calm until the early hours of 29th July 1966, when the country was once again plunged into another very serious and grave situation, the second in seven months. The position on the early morning of 29th July was a report from Abeokuta garrison, that there was a mutiny and that two senior and one junior officers from a particular section of the country were killed. This soon spread to Ibadan and Ikeja. More casualties were reported in these places. The Supreme Commander was by this time at Ibadan attending the natural rulers’ conference and was due to return on the afternoon of 29th July. The Government Lodge was reported attacked and the last report was that he and the West Military Governor were both kidnapped by some soldiers. Up till now, there is no confirmation of their whereabouts. The situation was soon brought under control in these places. Very shortly afterward, at about the same time, there was a report that there were similar disturbances among the troops in the North, and that a section of the troops had taken control of all military stations in the North as well. The units of Enugu and the garrison at Benin were not involved. All is now quiet and I can assure the public that I shall do all in my power to stop any further bloodshed and to restore law, order and confidence in all parts of the country with your co-operation and goodwill.

I have now come to the most difficult part, or the most important part, of this statement. I am doing it, conscious of the great disappointment and heartbreak it will cause all true and sincere lovers of Nigeria and of Nigerian unity both at home and abroad, especially our brothers in the Commonwealth.

As a result of the recent events and the other previous similar ones, I have come to strongly believe that we cannot honestly and sincerely continue in this wise, as the basis of trust and confidence in our unitary system of government has not been able to stand the test of time. I have already remarked on the issues in question. Suffice to say that, putting all considerations to test-political, economic, as well as social-the base for unity is not there or is so badly rocked, not only once but several times. I therefore feel that we should review the issue of our national standing and see if we can help stop the country form drifting away into utter destruction. With the general consensus of opinion of all the Military Governors and other members of the Supreme and Executive Council, a decree will soon be issued to lay a firm foundation of this objective. Fellow countrymen, I sincerely hope we shall be able to resolve most of the problems that have disunited us in the past and really come to respect and trust one another in accordance with an all-round code of good conduct and etiquette.

All foreigners are assured of their personal safety and should have no fear of being molested.

I intend to continue the policy laid down in the statement by the Supreme Commander on 16th January 1966 published on 26th January 1966.

We shall also honour all international treaty obligations and commitments and all financial agreements and obligations entered into by the previous government. We are desirous of maintaining good diplomatic relationships with all countries. We therefore consider any foreign interference in any form will be regarded as an act of aggression.

All members of the armed forces are requested to keep within their barracks except on essential duties and when ordered from SHQ. Troops must not terrorise the public, as such action will discredit the new National Military Government. Any act of looting or sabotage will be dealt with severely. You are to remember that your task is to help restore law and order and confidence in the public in time of crisis.

I am convinced that with your co-operation and understanding, we shall be able to pull the country out of its present predicament. I promise you that I shall do all I can to return to civil rule as soon as it can be arranged. I also intend to pursue most vigorously the question of the release of political prisoners. Fellow countrymen, give me your support and I shall endeavour to live up to expectations. Thank you.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by T9ksy(m): 11:44pm On Dec 28, 2016
iconTNA:
MUST YORUBAS LIE TO MAKE A POINT?

Awolowo was released by Ojukwu to prepare his people for the eventual break up of Nigeria

He rather ran to the people that put him in jail in the first place like a demented looking for succor and sold out his liberator because he was made the Promise of being President of Nigeria. He never became that because the same people who threw him in Jail for treason the first time wanted to throw him in prison again.

[/b]THIS LED TO AWOLOWO KILLING HIMSELF WITH CHILLED, MADE-IN-ABA, KILL-AND-DRY, EXPIRED RAT POISON [/b]

But the "people" that jailed Awo (on a trumped-up charge) were actually members of the NPC/NCNC coalition govt in the 1st republic..

17 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omofunaab(m): 11:48pm On Dec 28, 2016
I have always known iPod as liars.

And that's why we call them liepods

17 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by KingsCity: 12:11am On Dec 29, 2016
omonnakoda:

The coup that brought Gowon to power failed in the Eastern Region. Thus Ojukwu had control of the entire Eastern Region up until the civil war which began in 1967.

It is therefore clear that it was Ojukwu that released Awolowo. This proved a big mistake; he should have had him executed instead for the treason he committed and had already been convicted of. Executing Awo in 1966 would have saved him from the rat poison they said he drank in 1987

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by zendy: 12:11am On Dec 29, 2016
omonnakoda:

You people just lie like children

BROADCAST BY LT. COL. YAKUBU GOWON, AUGUST 1, 1966

‘No Trust or Confidence in a Unitary System of Government’: Lt.-Col. Gowon’s Broadcast on the Assumption of Office, 1 August 1966

This is Lt-Col. Y. Gowon, Army Chief of Staff, speaking to you.

My fellow countrymen, the year 1966 has certainly been a fateful year for our beloved country, Nigeria. I have been brought to the position today of having to shoulder the great responsibilities of this country and the armed forces with the consent of the majority of the members of the Supreme Military Council as a result of the unfortunate incident that occurred on the early morning of 29th July 1966.

However, before I dwell on the sad issue of 29th July 1966, I would like to recall to you the sad and unfortunate incidents of 15th January 1966 which bear relevance. According to the certain well-known facts, which have so far not been disclosed to the nation and the world, the country was plunged into a national disaster by the grave and unfortunate action taken by a section of the Army against the public. By this I mean that a group of officers, in conjunction with certain civilians, decided to overthrow the legal government of the day; but their efforts were thwarted by the inscrutable discipline and loyalty of the great majority of the Army and the other members of the armed forces and the police. The Army was called upon to take up the reins of government until such time that law and order had been restored. The attempt to overthrow the government of the day was done by eliminating political leaders and high-ranking Army officers, a majority of whom came from a particular section of the country. The Prime Minister lost his life during this uprising. But for the outstanding discipline and loyalty of the members of the Army who are most affected, and the other members of the armed forces and the police, the situation probably could have degenerated into a civil war.

There followed a period of determined effort of reconstruction ably shouldered by Maj-Gen. J. T. U. Aguiyi-Ironsi but, unfortunately, certain parties caused suspicion and grave doubts of the Government’s sincerity in several quarters. Thus, coupled with the already unpleasant experience of the 15th January still fresh in the minds of the majority of the people, certain parts of the country decided to agitate against the military regime which ad hitherto enjoyed country-wide support. It was, unfortunately, followed by serious rioting and bloodshed in many cities and towns in the north.

There followed a period of uneasy calm until the early hours of 29th July 1966, when the country was once again plunged into another very serious and grave situation, the second in seven months. The position on the early morning of 29th July was a report from Abeokuta garrison, that there was a mutiny and that two senior and one junior officers from a particular section of the country were killed. This soon spread to Ibadan and Ikeja. More casualties were reported in these places. The Supreme Commander was by this time at Ibadan attending the natural rulers’ conference and was due to return on the afternoon of 29th July. The Government Lodge was reported attacked and the last report was that he and the West Military Governor were both kidnapped by some soldiers. Up till now, there is no confirmation of their whereabouts. The situation was soon brought under control in these places. Very shortly afterward, at about the same time, there was a report that there were similar disturbances among the troops in the North, and that a section of the troops had taken control of all military stations in the North as well. The units of Enugu and the garrison at Benin were not involved. All is now quiet and I can assure the public that I shall do all in my power to stop any further bloodshed and to restore law, order and confidence in all parts of the country with your co-operation and goodwill.

I have now come to the most difficult part, or the most important part, of this statement. I am doing it, conscious of the great disappointment and heartbreak it will cause all true and sincere lovers of Nigeria and of Nigerian unity both at home and abroad, especially our brothers in the Commonwealth.

As a result of the recent events and the other previous similar ones, I have come to strongly believe that we cannot honestly and sincerely continue in this wise, as the basis of trust and confidence in our unitary system of government has not been able to stand the test of time. I have already remarked on the issues in question. Suffice to say that, putting all considerations to test-political, economic, as well as social-the base for unity is not there or is so badly rocked, not only once but several times. I therefore feel that we should review the issue of our national standing and see if we can help stop the country form drifting away into utter destruction. With the general consensus of opinion of all the Military Governors and other members of the Supreme and Executive Council, a decree will soon be issued to lay a firm foundation of this objective. Fellow countrymen, I sincerely hope we shall be able to resolve most of the problems that have disunited us in the past and really come to respect and trust one another in accordance with an all-round code of good conduct and etiquette.

All foreigners are assured of their personal safety and should have no fear of being molested.

I intend to continue the policy laid down in the statement by the Supreme Commander on 16th January 1966 published on 26th January 1966.

We shall also honour all international treaty obligations and commitments and all financial agreements and obligations entered into by the previous government. We are desirous of maintaining good diplomatic relationships with all countries. We therefore consider any foreign interference in any form will be regarded as an act of aggression.

All members of the armed forces are requested to keep within their barracks except on essential duties and when ordered from SHQ. Troops must not terrorise the public, as such action will discredit the new National Military Government. Any act of looting or sabotage will be dealt with severely. You are to remember that your task is to help restore law and order and confidence in the public in time of crisis.

I am convinced that with your co-operation and understanding, we shall be able to pull the country out of its present predicament. I promise you that I shall do all I can to return to civil rule as soon as it can be arranged. I also intend to pursue most vigorously the question of the release of political prisoners. Fellow countrymen, give me your support and I shall endeavour to live up to expectations. Thank you.

While I doubt the date ascribed to this broadcast, lets assume for a second that it is true. Even if Gowon assumed power on the first of August, he still could not have released Awolowo. Outside Lagos, Gowon had little or no power. Gowon could not have released Awolowo who was in jail in the Eastern Region. Not even Ojukwu recognised him as head of state and Ojukwu was technically senior to Gowon. In the chaotic times that followed the overthrow of Ironsi, Gowon was pretty much a lame Duck president who could not do anything and no power over Military Governors like Lt Colonel Ejoor and Ojukwu

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 12:26am On Dec 29, 2016
zendy:

While I doubt the date ascribed to this broadcast, lets assume for a second that it is true. Even if Gowon assumed power on the first of August, he still could not have released Awolowo. Outside Lagos, Gowon had little or no power. Gowon could not have released Awolowo who was in jail in the Eastern Region. Not even Ojukwu recognised him as head of state and Ojukwu was technically senior to Gowon. In the chaotic times that followed the overthrow of Ironsi, Gowon was pretty much a lame Duck president who could not do anything and no power over Military Governors like Lt Colonel Ejoor and Ojukwu

No doubt you like this version. Logical people would wonder why Ojukwu who had from the 17th of January to release Awolowo did not do so.The thing is children like fantasy while adult analyse and change opinions when presented wiith facts no matter how unpalatable

17 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by joespiceman(m): 12:33am On Dec 29, 2016
so u already made ur conclusion, yet you still asking question. what do you expect now, someone to brain wash u?
Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Dedetwo(m): 12:34am On Dec 29, 2016
@OP

The is another silly attempt to perfect stupidity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by T9ksy(m): 12:43am On Dec 29, 2016
zendy:

The mere fact that Awo was jailed for federal felon in calabar prison, part of nigeria as at the time, the case was adjudicated. Ojukwu as a regional administrator was still under the payment of the national govt (including the prison governor in calabar).

Logic demands that Awo would have been re-arrested the moment he stepped foot in yorubaland and sent back to prison unless of course, he Awo, had already been pardoned by the national govt which gowon then represents.

21 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 12:47am On Dec 29, 2016
T9ksy:

The mere fact that Awo was jailed for federal felon in calabar prison, part of nigeria as at the time, the case was adjudicated. Ojukwu as a regional administrator was still under the payment of the national govt (including the prison governor in calabar).

Logic demands that Awo would have been re-arrested the moment he stepped foot in yorubaland and sent back to prison unless of course, he Awo, had already been pardoned by the national govt which gowon then represents.

LOGIC ke? With these folk? You are joking right?

18 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 12:48am On Dec 29, 2016
Dedetwo:
@OP

The is another silly attempt to perfect stupidity.
Dendeiku.!! You don miss Meds this night be dat o

9 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Dedetwo(m): 12:51am On Dec 29, 2016
omonnakoda:
Dendeiku.!! You don miss Meds this night be dat o

I know you cannot help yourself else I would have recommended you read few write ups by Prof Sam Aluko who facilitated the release of Awolowo by Ojukwu.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Dedetwo(m): 12:54am On Dec 29, 2016
T9ksy:

Arrant nonsense!!! The above crap has no readable value.

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

OBIdients Arrange Buses For Students Across The Country To Pick Up Their PVCs / Economic Recession In Nigeria A Blessing – Utomi / PHOTOS: Borno Idps Begin Mass Production Of Soap, Detergents, Pomade, Bags

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.