Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,028 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison (22074 Views)

Gabriel Suswam Laughing As DSS Releases Him From Prison (Photos) / Olusegun Obasanjo Shortly After His Release From Prison (throwback) / Military Did Not Release Awolowo/ dasuki/ooni-ife,why sonekan was removed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 8:05am On Dec 30, 2016
The fact that Ojukwu would come out to lie about this many years later even though the historicity (kindly check the meaning of this word) of his claim is unfounded,( There are contemporaneous newspaper reports ,a gazette and contemporaneous books etc that report who released Awo) telll us what kind of man he was; a shameless inveterate liar who lied not only about this but about everything. He lied about weapons he never had and when he eventually saw that the war was lost he lied he was going to bring weapons and ran away.

We know that was not the first time he ran.

When "Kasala burst" as they say in Warri,he ran away from Government House to hide in Onitsha and then in a police station.
Disgraceful!!

7 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by T9ksy(m): 11:12am On Dec 30, 2016
omonnakoda:
The fact that Ojukwu would come out to lie about this many years later even though the historicity (kindly check the meaning of this word) of his claim is unfounded,( There are contemporaneous newspaper reports ,a gazette and contemporaneous books etc that report who released Awo) telll us what kind of man he was; a shameless inveterate liar who lied not only about this but about everything. He lied about weapons he never had and when he eventually saw that the war was lost he lied he was going to bring weapons and ran away.

We know that was not the first time he ran.

When "Kasala burst" as they say in Warri,he ran away from Government House to hide in Onitsha and then in a police station.
Disgraceful!!

Oh course, ojukwu was a bare-faced liar! I saw a video years ago (which i presume, is still on Youtube) where the same shameless liar repeated the falsehood his people have been regurgitating like a leaking water tap on how Zik and his NCNC party won the 1953 regional election in western nigeria but due to Awo's (and yorubas' tribalistic tendencies) led to carpet-crossing by some yoruba candidates and subsequently culminated in AG wining the said election.

But somehow, neither ojukwu nor his fellow inherently-mischievous people could produce any verifiable evidence to buttress their claim, i.e the official election results sheet which clearly states otherwise. In spite of their inability to present any evidence whatsoever, they still maintain (up till date) that NCNC did win (the election) but lost eventually due to carpet-crossing.

3 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Dedetwo(m): 3:39pm On Dec 30, 2016
bayooooooo:
Government Notice No. 1207/1966 published August 2, 1966. It can also be found in Crisis and Conflict in Nigeria (vol 1) by A.H.M. Kirk-Greene pg 372.

By His Excellency Lieutenant Colonel Yakubu Gowon, Head of the National Military Government, Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Nigeria.

WHEREAS Chief Obafemi Awolowo, having been duly convicted of the offences of treasonable felony, conspiracy to commit a felony and
conspiracy to effect an unlawful purpose, and sentenced to imprisonment for ten, five and two years respectively on all three counts:
AND WHEREAS the said Chief Obafemi Awolowo, having served a portion of the sentence originally imposed on him in September 1963:
AND WHEREAS the Supreme Military Council after reviewing his case, is pleased to remit the sentence and to grant a full pardon:
NOW THEREFORE, in exercise of the powers conferred by section 101 (1) of the Constitution of the Republic and of all other power enabling it
in that behalf, the Supreme Military Council do hereby remit unexpired portion of the sentence imposed on the aforesaid chief Obafemi Awolowo
and grant him a full pardon. GIVEN UNDER my hand and the Public Seal of the Republic of Nigeria at Lagos this 2nd day of August, one thousand nine hundred and sixty-six.

The picture you posted showing Gowon and Awolowo still depicted Gowon as a Lt. Col and still army chief of Staff. He could not have made such decision when Ogundipe was still the Chief of Staff Supreme HQ.
Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 9:17pm On Dec 30, 2016
Dedetwo:

The picture you posted showing Gowon and Awolowo still depicted Gowon as a Lt. Col and still army chief of Staff. He could not have made such decision when Ogundipe was still the Chief of Staff Supreme HQ.
Clutching at desperate straws.

What is the significance of Gowon whether as a Boy Scout or Senior Prefect. It was Gowon with Awolowo and Muhammed in the Background.

Awolowo had been in Prison since 1963 so that picture was either taken before 1963 or from 1966 onward or it is a fake. Pick one

The Gazette was dated 2 August . Gowon Addressed the Nation on 1 August and that photo is DATED 3 August.

What is your POINTLESS point

4 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 10:01pm On Dec 30, 2016
Gowon Addressed Nigeria on 1 August 1966

This is how he started

"This is Lt. Col. Y. Gowon, Army Chief of Staff, speaking to you……I have been brought to the position today of having to shoulder the great responsibilities of this country and the armed forces with the consent of the majority of the members of the Supreme Military Council as a result of the unfortunate incident that occcurred on the early morning of 29th July, 1966….."

3 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by pchukwudi: 10:33pm On Dec 30, 2016
You are really very unreasonable. But your illusion does not change anything anyway.

omonnakoda:
Firmly under control hahahahah

Why was Ojukwu begging for repatriation of northern soldiers
Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 10:38pm On Dec 30, 2016
pchukwudi:
You are really very unreasonable. But your illusion does not change anything anyway.

I sell kpomo in Bodija market but we are not here to discuss me or my biography. If you feel a compulsion to discuss me then I am gratified it means I have made my point irrefutably

2 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by pchukwudi: 10:45pm On Dec 30, 2016
Irrefutably my foot!!!

As if you knew the meaning of logic and objectivity. cheesy

What else do you think was my reason for pointing out your unreasonableness?

You could not even afford a basic decorum to accept you were wrong when you claimed that Awoowo went to Lagos immediately after his release.

omonnakoda:
I sell kpomo in Bodija market but we are not here to discuss me or my biography. If you feel a compulsion to discuss me then I am gratified it means I have made my point irrefutably
Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 10:50pm On Dec 30, 2016
pchukwudi:
Irrefutably my foot!!!

As if you knew the meaning of logic and objectivity. cheesy

What else do you think was my reason for pointing out your unreasonableness?

You could not even afford a basic decorum to accept you were wrong when you claimed that Awoowo went to Lagos immediately after his release.

My "unreasonableness" is your opinion

You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable
You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable
You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable You are unreasonable I am reasonable#

It has no meaning or relevance and is evidence you have nothing of value to say, it is like the cloud outside my window,totally of no moment

Where did Awolowo go after release? Mgbidi? No one has challenged it on this thread so stop talking like a lunatic.
Accept I was wrong when no one has claimed I was wrong.Why don;t you accept you have forgotten you psychotropic medication

4 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by pchukwudi: 12:45am On Dec 31, 2016
omonnakoda:
My "unreasonableness" is... VERY CLEAR. cheesy

Where did Awolowo go after release? Mgbidi? No one has challenged it on this thread so stop talking like a lunatic.
Accept I was wrong when no one has claimed I was wrong.Why don;t you accept you have forgotten you psychotropic medication

Just take a deep look at the mirror.

You simply don't have the facts, that's why you are not thinking straight.

1. Awolowo did not go to lagos after his release. He went to Ikenne, his home town in western region - which had a governor that preceeded Gowon. (You were actually confronted more than TWICE with this assertion on this thread - but you still chose to believe a lie).

2. Ojukwu released Awolowo with the understanding that Awolowo will keep his word of leading the west out of nigeria as soon as the east goes.

3. Gowon had no legitimate power to rearrest Awolowo. If he had tried to rearrest the man he would have lost face in the western region.

4. Gowon knew that rearresting Awolowo will simply make the entire south to oppose his illegitimate goverment vigorously.

Got it now?

Here's more: https://www.nairaland.com/3544116/yes-indeed-ojukwu-one-released

omonnakoda:
Stop talking Nonsense! Ojukwu took over from Michael Okpara. What did Michael Okpara have to to with the running of federal prisons.
Those of us who are old enough to have lived through several coups in Nigeria know that in the immediate days after a coup every one is looking to Lagos.

Goowon took over August 1 and announced the release of Awolowo and he was released on 3 August. Absolutely nothing to do with Ojukwu.He was not in the loop. How could he be .? Why would he think of Awolowo at that time if he did why would he send him to Lagos ? He was a convict and so he would be going back straight to prison.
What did Ojukwu gain by releasing him if he had such power?

So can you tell me now who you saw on the mirror and who the "lunatic" really is?

1 Like

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by laudate: 2:48am On Jan 08, 2017
omonnakoda:
The Gazette

Government Notice No. 1207/1966 ordering the release of Awo on August 2, 1966.

Please scan and post the gazette here too, sharp-sharp! cheesy All the press reports that were scanned and included by various respondents in their posts on this thread, were just so interesting. Ah, that is the beauty of facts, figures and research. cool Wow!!

1 Like

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by BabaRamota1980: 3:19am On Jan 08, 2017
bayooooooo:
Government Notice No. 1207/1966 published August 2, 1966. It can also be found in Crisis and Conflict in Nigeria (vol 1) by A.H.M. Kirk-Greene pg 372.

By His Excellency Lieutenant Colonel Yakubu Gowon, Head of the National Military Government, Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Nigeria.

WHEREAS Chief Obafemi Awolowo, having been duly convicted of the offences of treasonable felony, conspiracy to commit a felony and
conspiracy to effect an unlawful purpose, and sentenced to imprisonment for ten, five and two years respectively on all three counts:
AND WHEREAS the said Chief Obafemi Awolowo, having served a portion of the sentence originally imposed on him in September 1963:
AND WHEREAS the Supreme Military Council after reviewing his case, is pleased to remit the sentence and to grant a full pardon:
NOW THEREFORE, in exercise of the powers conferred by section 101 (1) of the Constitution of the Republic and of all other power enabling it
in that behalf, the Supreme Military Council do hereby remit unexpired portion of the sentence imposed on the aforesaid chief Obafemi Awolowo
and grant him a full pardon. GIVEN UNDER my hand and the Public Seal of the Republic of Nigeria at Lagos this 2nd day of August, one thousand nine hundred and sixty-six.

3 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by asunmoGGMU(m): 2:38pm On Mar 08, 2019
CandyDiamond:
You are on your own,[/b]even Gowon himself said that it was Ojukwu that release Owolowo from prison[b].It was on record, don't twist fact.

How you people lie confidently beat me! How do you sleep at night?

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/191679-why-i-released-awolowo-from-prison-gowon.html

4 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Koralords: 3:23pm On Mar 08, 2019
T9ksy:

The mere fact that Awo was jailed for federal felon in calabar prison, part of nigeria as at the time, the case was adjudicated. Ojukwu as a regional administrator was still under the payment of the national govt (including the prison governor in calabar).

Logic demands that Awo would have been re-arrested the moment he stepped foot in yorubaland and sent back to prison unless of course, he Awo, had already been pardoned by the national govt which gowon then represents.
This the wisest explanation on this thread ,don't whah the big deal is if it's gowon or ojukwu that released Him

2 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 6:47am On May 31, 2020
These folk are SHAMELESS LIARS

1 Like

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Magicians: 6:50am On May 31, 2020
CandyDiamond:
You are on your own,[/b]even Gowon himself said that it was Ojukwu that release Owolowo from prison[b].It was on record, don't twist fact.
EternalTruths:

Afonjas are educated but not wise
Did Ojukwu recognize Gowon's coup.? No
So how can Gowon free Awo in a region controlled by Ojukwu
CandyDiamond:

[/b]This is just a soothing words[b],Owolowo was released by Ojukwu,his accomplices stayed in Enugu during the civil war,Owolowo was sent to his people by Ojukwu to prepare the west for Nigeria breakup,but he allowed himself to be compromised by Gowon when northerners promise him heaven on earth
Fremancipation:
Short answer: yes
Long answer: yes

But your father as no single prove to that claim?
Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Magicians: 6:59am On May 31, 2020
pchukwudi:

Just take a deep look at the mirror.

You simply don't have the facts, that's why you are not thinking straight.

1. Awolowo did not go to lagos after his release. He went to Ikenne, his home town in western region - which had a governor that preceeded Gowon. (You were actually confronted more than TWICE with this assertion on this thread - but you still chose to believe a lie).

2. Ojukwu released Awolowo with the understanding that Awolowo will keep his word of leading the west out of nigeria as soon as the east goes.

3. Gowon had no legitimate power to rearrest Awolowo. If he had tried to rearrest the man he would have lost face in the western region.

4. Gowon knew that rearresting Awolowo will simply make the entire south to oppose his illegitimate goverment vigorously.

Got it now?

Here's more: https://www.nairaland.com/3544116/yes-indeed-ojukwu-one-released

So can you tell me now who you saw on the mirror and who the "lunatic" really is?
Imagine what this lunatic is typing on NL.?!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

IG Of Police Can Be Jailed For Seizing Dino Melaye's Passport - Ekweremadu / Bola Tinubu Sends Atiku Birthday Greetings / Why We Demolish Ajao Estate's Buildings- FAAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.