Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,737 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

Anyway And Anyways: Before You Use Them Next Time - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Anyway And Anyways: Before You Use Them Next Time (571 Views)

What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? / Make $6 Per Day With 10 Minutes Work! That Should Pay Some Bills Anyways / Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anyway And Anyways: Before You Use Them Next Time by Benyinka(m): 10:10am On Dec 30, 2016
Anyway and anyways have always been a pair of words contending with each other across the world and commonly used interchangeably, especially in my part of the world (Africa: Nigeria). We all learn language through various channels of communication and a vital means is listening to others. Research shows that consequently, most speakers of English who use anyways heard others say it and assume it is acceptable.

Which of them is correct? Good question!

Anyway
Anyway is an adverb, meaning ‘in spite of’, ‘nonetheless’ or generally used to emphasise a point that limits or expands the effect of the preceding or succeeding information, i.e. it regulates the meaning of an expression.

Examples:

We can give them the money, it’s not ours anyway.
Anyway, forget the past and move forward.
Who are you, anyway?
The government has decided to grant political amnesty to the leader of the group, but we have our reservations because it is not the best option. Anyway, they won’t ask us before they do it.

Anyways
Anyways is an informal, colloquial and nonstandard form of anyway. This means you should avoid it in formal speech and writing. Better still, I’d have said you should avoid it completely so as not to ‘mistakenly’ use it, but I can’t enforce that.

Note: better still is a correct expression meaning a particular option would be better, contrary to what some non-native speakers have been taught.

Besides, you can’t pluralise an adverb, so adding ‘s’ to anyway is not grammatical. This is completely different from any ways meaning ‘in any manner’.

Moreover, anyway is generally more popular than anyways, so the levels of acceptability are different and the margin is wide.

Now that you know what anyway and anyways are, I’m sure you’d definitely make a conscious choice next time you use them. http://englishnaija.com/
Re: Anyway And Anyways: Before You Use Them Next Time by EmekusTHEgreat(m): 10:41am On Dec 30, 2016
OK...NEXT!!

1 Like

Re: Anyway And Anyways: Before You Use Them Next Time by Flexherbal(m): 10:59am On Dec 30, 2016
Good one !

1 Like

Re: Anyway And Anyways: Before You Use Them Next Time by superfelix: 4:33pm On Dec 30, 2016
Very Good!

1 Like

Re: Anyway And Anyways: Before You Use Them Next Time by Zeus100(m): 4:46pm On Dec 30, 2016
Benyinka:
Anyway and anyways have always been a pair of words contending with each other across the world and commonly used interchangeably, especially in my part of the world (Africa: Nigeria). We all learn language through various channels of communication and a vital means is listening to others. Research shows that consequently, most speakers of English who use anyways heard others say it and assume it is acceptable.

Which of them is correct? Good question!

Anyway
Anyway is an adverb, meaning ‘in spite of’, ‘nonetheless’ or generally used to emphasise a point that limits or expands the effect of the preceding or succeeding information, i.e. it regulates the meaning of an expression.

Examples:

We can give them the money, it’s not ours anyway.
Anyway, forget the past and move forward.
Who are you, anyway?
The government has decided to grant political amnesty to the leader of the group, but we have our reservations because it is not the best option. Anyway, they won’t ask us before they do it.

Anyways
Anyways is an informal, colloquial and nonstandard form of anyway. This means you should avoid it in formal speech and writing. Better still, I’d have said you should avoid it completely so as not to ‘mistakenly’ use it, but I can’t enforce that.

Note: better still is a correct expression meaning a particular option would be better, contrary to what some non-native speakers have been taught.

Besides, you can’t pluralise an adverb, so adding ‘s’ to anyway is not grammatical. This is completely different from any ways meaning ‘in any manner’.

Moreover, anyway is generally more popular than anyways, so the levels of acceptability are different and the margin is wide.

Now that you know what anyway and anyways are, I’m sure you’d definitely make a conscious choice next time you use them. http://englishnaija.com/
thank God someone clarified the issue...all in the name of am a grammarian we commit series of blunders

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

You’d Better Never Make These Mistakes Again / The Cruelty We Suffer In Federal Universities.... / -COMMERCE WEB DEVELOPMENT: Get The 24/7 Internet Shopping Revolution For Your Bu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.