Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,714 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Open Heavens Devotional 2017 - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Open Heavens Devotional 2017 (14518 Views)

Open Heavens Devotional For 10th Feb. Topic — Now That You Are Saved IV / Unauthorised Publishing Of "Open Heavens Devotional" Is Illegal - RCCG / RCCG Prohibits Unauthorised Publishing Of Its Open Heavens Devotional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 5:55am On Jul 18, 2017
OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL.
TUESDAY 18TH JULY, 2017.

*WHAT ABOUT YOUR HOUSEHOLD?*

Memorise:
One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
1 Timothy 3:4.

Read: Acts 21:8-9.
8 And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him.
9 And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy.

Philips was a church planter, obedient, submissive to authority, had a servant spirit and was a man of good report. Beyond these, another valuable trait he had which made God use him mightily for signs and wonder is the fact that he was a man of total commitment to God. Philip served God, but it did not end with him alone; he ensured that his family members followed the same godly path.
Joshua who declared the children of Israel that he and his household had decided to follow the Lord alone (Joshua 24:15), Philip decided in a determined way that everyone in his household would serve God.

In our Bible reading, we are told that he had four virgin daughters, who were all saved, filled with the Holy Spirit and operated in the gift of prophecy. This clearly shows us that he lead his household in the way of the Lord. It also me and that he was a good role model to his children. They saw how real the Christian faith was in the life of their father and they desired it.

Do your children follow the Christ you claim to follow? Are you a good role model for them? Does your life attract them to become true children of God?
Joshua in Joshua 24:15 said,

“As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

Contrary to this stance, it is very unfortunate that today, some parents make excuse for the lukewarmness or even godlessness exhibited by their children and wards. Such parents may say, “Sir, you don’t understand; my children are now in the university”. Are they implying that children in the university should not obey their parents anymore, or that such children are incapable of doing God’s will?

Some will even say, “We believe that when it comes to the issue of faith, it should be voluntary”. Is it alright if your children voluntarily go to hell? No way! No child should be left to take such a foolish decision! It is your duty to instruct your household after you in the way of the Lord.

My biological children, who are now adults, can testify to how I raised them up. None of them dared to come late for morning devotion. If you were late, you would remain standing or be spanked. Joshua commanded his family to serve the Lord. No wonder he was able to command the sun to stand still and it did.

If you can instruct your household to genuinely serve God, you will be able to command what God created, and they will obey you.

Who is in charge of your home: you or your children?

Key Point:
If you raise your children well to follow and serve the Lord, he will reward you, but if you don’t, he will judge you.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
2 Samuel 12-13 Ezekiel 10:20-11:13.

HYMN 16: GOD GIVE US CHRISTIAN HOMES.
1. God give us Christian homes!
Homes where the Bible is loved and taught,
Homes where the Master’s will is sought,
Homes crowned with beauty Your love has wrought;
God give us Christian homes;
God give us Christian homes!

2. God give us Christian homes!
Homes where the father is true and strong,
Homes that are free from the blight of wrong,
Homes that are joyous with love and song;

3. God give us Christian homes!
Homes where the mother, in caring quest,
Strives to show others Your way is best,
Homes where the Lord is an honored guest;

4. God give us Christian homes!
Homes where the children are led to know
Christ in His beauty who loves them so,
Homes where the altar fires burn and glow;
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 7:28am On Jul 19, 2017
OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL.
WEDNESDAY JULY 19TH, 2017
A NEW MANAGEMENT.

_Memorise_
Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? Romans 6:16.

Read: Romans 6:13-20.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.

_Message_
When you have an encounter with Jesus that results in you accepting Him as your personal Lord and Saviour, your life comes under a new management. In Matthew 11:28-29, Jesus said:
“ _Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. *Take my yoke upon you*, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls._ ”

Before encountering Jesus, your affairs were managed by Satan and also by your own self-will (Ephesians 2:2-3). A choice to welcome Jesus into your heart means that you have chosen to do away with all your former masters and have embraced the Lordship of Jesus over your affairs. My father used to say that whosoever you allow to be your master will take care of you with whatever he has. If Satan is your master, he will give you what he has: sickness, sorrow, fear and all kinds of problems. If Jesus is your master, he will take care of you with good health, joy, peace and all kinds of blessings. Who are you yielding to presently? Who is your master?

I was once invited to preach at the thanksgiving service of a particular king. While I was preparing for the service, his chiefs, dressed in regalia of various secret societies, began to come in. An ushers saw them and ran to ask if they should be allowed to enter the church. I told him to seat them in the front row where Jesus would be able to reach them quickly. I immediately changed my sermon to talk about Elijah’s confrontation with the prophets of Baal on Mount Carmel. At the end of the sermon, because I know who my Master is, I said this to them: “ _I challenge all of you, if you can use all your powers to deflate one of my tyres, I will surrender to your god, but if you cannot, you must surrender to my God_ ”. I then told them the registration number of my car. By the time I gave the alter call, the second-in-command to the king, who was the leader of all the secret societies, was the first to come forward. When the other chiefs saw this, they followed suit. After the service, the king said we should go and check up on his second-in-command to find out if he understood what he just did. When we got to him, he said he knew what he had done by surrendering to Christ, adding, “When you see a small boy like this challenging all of us, who doesn’t know that he must have someone behind him? It is the One behind him that we surrendered to." Thirty days later, this chief died. He had served the devil all his life and was heading for hell, but thirty days before his death, he changed to a new government and he is now in Heaven. Who is managing your life?

Prayer Point:
Father, wherever forces of darkness are challenging your children in this nation, show up and paralyse them today.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
2 Samuel 14
Ezekiel 11:14-12:6.

HYMN 11: I HAVE DECIDED TO FOLLOW JESUS.
1. I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
No turning back, no turning back.

2. Though none go with me, still I will follow;
Though none go with me, still I will follow;

3. My cross I’ll carry till, I see Jesus;
my cross I’ll carry till, I see Jesus;
my cross I’ll carry, till I see Jesus;

4. The world behind me, the cross before me;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 6:08am On Jul 20, 2017
OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL.
Thurs. 20th July, 2017.
ABANDONING GOD’S ASSIGNMENT?

Memorise
Ye looked for much, and, lo it came to little; and when ye brought it home, I did blow upon it. Why? saith the Lord of hosts. Because of mine house that is waste, and ye run every man unto his own house. Haggai 1:9.

Read: Haggai 1:5-11.
5 Now therefore thus saith the Lord of hosts; Consider your ways.
6 Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes.
7 Thus saith the Lord of hosts; Consider your ways.
8 Go up to the mountain, and bring wood, and build the house; and I will take pleasure in it, and I will be glorified, saith the Lord.
9 Ye looked for much, and, lo it came to little; and when ye brought it home, I did blow upon it. Why? saith the Lord of hosts. Because of mine house that is waste, and ye run every man unto his own house.
10 Therefore the heaven over you is stayed from dew, and the earth is stayed from her fruit.
11 And I called for a drought upon the land, and upon the mountains, and upon the corn, and upon the new wine, and upon the oil, and upon that which the ground bringeth forth, and upon men, and upon cattle, and upon all the labour of the hands.

"What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31.

The above scripture clearly tells us that God can be for us. It is so reassuring to know that God can stand for you. Whenever He is for you, anyone against you is in trouble. However, do you know that just as God can be for you, He can also be against you? Yes, He can! If you check through the scriptures, you will see many instances where God stirred up the enemies of his children to fight against them (Judges 4:1-3, Judges 6:1-10). They remained defeated until they realized their evil, repented and ran back to God. Judges 13:1 says,
“And the children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the Lord; and the Lord delivered them into the hand of the Philistines forty years.”

Every time you turn away from God, violate His word or live to gratify your fleshly lusts, you turn Him against you.

Moreover, God can personally fight or frustrate the efforts of His children. In our Bible reading, because some people refused to complete the building of God’s house, he decided to frustrate their personal efforts. It is frightening to see the extent God can go to in fighting His own children! In Haggai 1:6, it is written that his people worked like elephants but brought harvest of ants. They ate but were never satisfied, and their thirst could not be quenched no matter how much water they drank. No matter how many clothes they wore, they could not get warm. They worked and were paid, but kept losing their wages. Haggai 1:9 even goes further to say that if they managed to bring in any little gain, God would blow it away. God also prevented the heavens from releasing rain and the earth from releasing its increase. He went further to declare a famine on their land. This was God fighting His children and not any devil! Why the fight? It was because they abandoned God’s house and focused on building their own mansions with the resources God had given them. If you abandon God’s assignment or project in pursuit of yours, you are calling for God’s hammer. In any way you have erred, repent today and return to what you abandoned, and the Lord will turn away from His anger.

Prayer Point:
Father, prosper all your missionaries in mission fields across the globe. Back them up with signs and wonders. Help them to win souls and to disciple your end-time army.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
2 Samuel 15-16
Ezekiel 12:7-20.

HYMN 14: TAKE MY LIFE.
1. Take my life and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in endless praise.

2. Take my hands and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee.

3. Take my voice and let me sing,
Always, only for my King.
Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee.

4. Take my silver and my gold,
Not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect and use
Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.

5. Take my will and make it Thine,
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own,
It shall be Thy royal throne.

6. Take my love, my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee.
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 11:54pm On Jul 20, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Fri. 21st July, 2017.
DO AFFLICTIONS SWALLOW YOUR GOD?

Memorise:
For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: Job 19:25.

Read: Job 19:23-27.
23 Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book!
24 That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever!
25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
27 Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
2 Samuel 17-18, Ezekiel 12:21-13:7.

Prophecies are great tools that God uses to intervene in the situations of His people’s lives. Every prophecy has certain conditions attached to it to trigger actualization. Knowing this truth, one particular year, when the Almighty God said that there would be an overflow in that year, I immediately realized that there was some work to be done. When he then asked us to fast for 100 days, I was not surprised. Undertaking such a task was not an easy one, but obedience to it produced a great harvest in joy, overflowing blessings and much more. This is your session of overflow of God’s blessings in Jesus’ Name!

In 1 Kings 17:8-16, when Elijah asked the widow of Zarephath to bring him some food, her response is worthy of note. 1 kings 17:12a says,
“And she said, As the Lord thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse:”

In other words, she took a good look at Elijah and said, “I know your God”. Daniel 11:32 says if you know the Almighty God, you will be empowered to do exploits. ‘Exploits’ here refers to activities that are way beyond the ordinary. God is in the business of doing exploits. It takes God to turn the hideout of highway robbers into a beautiful godly city. It takes the God of exploit to construct the present auditorium at the Redemption Camp, even with its staggering cost. If you ever want to see exploits, you must know this God personally.

In addition, not only did this widow know Elijah’s God, she also declared Him to be alive. One of the most profound statements in the Bible was made by Job. In Job 19:25, he said:
“For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:”

At the time he said this, he was in a most distressing situation. Things were very bad indeed. He had lost all his wealth, property, children and even health. However, in spite of his ordeal, he still proclaimed that God was alive. Many people tend to believe that God is not alive or that He is not who He says he is, just because of the severe trials of faith they are facing. Problems can never take God away. He doesn’t cease to exit just because He has not answered your prayers. How much faith can you repose in God while going through difficult times? That is a true test of your character.

Action Point
Ask God to open more doors for us to reach the unreached countries with the gospel of Jesus Christ.

HYMN 1: MY FAITH LOOKS UP TO THEE.
1. My faith looks up to Thee,
Thou Lamb of Calvary,
Savior divine!
Now hear me while I pray,
Take all my guilt away,
Oh, let me from this day
Be wholly Thine!

2. May Thy rich grace impart
Strength to my fainting heart,
My zeal inspire!
As Thou hast died for me,
Oh, may my love to Thee
Pure, warm, and changeless be,
A living fire!

3. While life’s dark maze I tread,
And griefs around me spread,
Be Thou my guide;
Bid darkness turn to day,
Wipe sorrow’s tears away,
Nor let me ever stray
From Thee aside.

4. When life’s swift race is run,
Death’s cold work almost done,
Be near to me.
Blest savior, then in love,
fear and distrust remove;
O bear me safe above,
Redeemed and free!
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 1:33pm On Jul 22, 2017
OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL...

DATE: SATURDAY JULY 22ND 2017

THEME: MISDIRECTED REQUESTS

Memorise:

Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. James 4:3

Read: Genesis 30:1-2

30:1 And when Rachel saw that she bare Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister; and said unto Jacob, Give me children, or else I die.

30:2 And Jacob's anger was kindled against Rachel: and he said, Am I in God's stead, who hath withheld from thee the fruit of the womb?

In Matthew 6:9-13, the Lord thought Hid disciples the right way to pray. Prayer is an outcry in order to be victorious. Usually, when an individual encounters a problem too big to handle, he will call for the help of others. In the midst of a famine, when Elijah went to ask for water and food from the widow of Zarephath, he was simply praying (1 King 17:8-16). Also, when this widow’s son died and she cried to the man of God to restore him back to life, that was a prayer (1 Kings 17:17-23). Furthermore, when Rachel asked Jacob to give her children, she was praying (Genesis 30:1). In 2 Kings 6:25-29, we see a woman praying to the King for help in enforcing her agreement to feed on another woman’s son after her own son had been devoured. From all these cases, it can be established that prayer can be made to individuals, Kings, men of god and ultimately, to God Himself. People also pray to the devil and his agents, when they go to them for help. There are some believers who go to their village to cry to their unsaved parents for help over a nagging issue. Such parents are compelled to consult their oracle and apply charms in resolving these issues. Such parents are compelled to consult their oracles and apply charms in resolving these issues. When this occurs, that believer has been brought into covenant with the idols consulted, thereby giving the demonic spirits behind such idols the right to manipulate their lives. Be very careful who you run to for help!
When Rachel asked Jacob to give her children in Genesis 30:1, Jacob got angry. Rachel even threatened to commit suicide if she did not have children. Her husband’s response in Genesis 30:2b says it all:
“Am I in God's stead, who hath withheld from thee the fruit of the womb?”

She was directing her right request to the wrong quarters. What she was asking was beyond his ability. Many times, we pray to the wrong person or send our desires to those who cannot truly help us. The Bible in Psalm 60:11 says,
“Give us help from trouble: for vain is the help of man.”

Are you channeling your request to man instead of God? Stop doing so today! God is the only one with all the resources to meet all your needs; therefore, it is wise to direct your entire requests and cries to Him alone. As you do so, He will hear you.

Prayer Point:

Father, visit all the widows in my local church; meet their needs and that of their children. Also, keep them pure and ready for your coming.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
2 Samuel 19-20
Ezekiel 13:8-19

AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A. ADEBOYE

HYMN 2: WHAT A FRIEND WE HAVE IN JESUS

1. What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry

2. Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged—
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;

3. Are we weak and heavy-laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge—
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there.
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 6:02am On Jul 25, 2017
OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL

DATE: TUESDAY JULY 25TH 2017

THEME: ADMIT YOUR MISTAKES

Memorise:

For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Psalm 51:3

Read: Psalm 51:1-4

51:1 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.

51:2 Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

51:3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.

51:4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

As believers, although we have been made the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus, we are still capable of making mistakes, because of the nature of the body our spirit man still inhabits. Until we shed this body and put on the glorious body of the resurrected Christ, we will still be prone to mistakes and error (1 Corinthians 15:42-44, 1 Corinthians 15:52-54). Hence, we need to be more prayerful and careful in all our dealings (Matthew 26:41). To reach your God-given goal, you must avoid mistakes. You must avoid falling too. If you however fall, you can humbly and sorrowfully admit your mistake. After David fell into the sin of adultery and murder, he said,
“For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.” Psalm 51:3

If you sin, admit that you have sinned. 2 Corinthian 7:9-10 says godly sorrow leads you to repentance. Those who are close to me can testify to the fact that whenever something goes wrong with whatever I’m working on, the first question I asked myself is, “where have I gone wrong?”

You cannot make progress if you keep passing the buck or shifting blame. It is easy to make excuses. The lazy and the proud will look for every reason to justify their weaknesses or failure. When you acknowledge and confess your weaknesses to God, you trigger a release of God’s power to enable you live above them. 2 Corinthians 12:9 says,
“And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”

In the parable of the talents, the man with the five talents never gave any excuse for why he should not succeed; hence, he was able to double his talent (Matthew 25:14-30). The man with two talents equally made no room for excuses, and so, he too doubled his talents. The man with one talent however came up with excuses for non-performance. If you are always quick to explain away your failures, it is because you are too proud to admit your mistakes. Who does not make mistakes? When you err, admit your wrong doing. Studying mathematics taught me that I can be wrong. Many people find it difficult to accept that they are wrong. If you try to prove to them that they are wrong, they will do everything possible to wriggle out of it. Explaining away your wrong-doing does not make you any less guilty. Have you made any mistake? Sorrowfully admit your error and ask for forgiveness.

Key Point:

Admitting your mistake is not a sign of weakness like many think. Rather, it is a manifestation of strength of character.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
1 Kings 1
Ezekiel 15:1-16:5

HYMN 6: DEEPER, DEEPER

1. Deeper, deeper in the love of Jesus
Daily let me go;
Higher, higher in the school of wisdom,
More of grace to know.

Refrain:
Oh, deeper yet, I pray,
And higher every day,
And wiser, blessed Lord,
In Thy precious, holy Word.

2. Deeper, deeper! though it cost hard trials,
Deeper let me go!
Rooted in the holy love of Jesus,
Let me fruitful grow.
Refrain:

3. Deeper, higher, every day in Jesus,
Till all conflict past,
Finds me conqu’ror, and in His own image
Perfected at last.
Refrain:

4. Deeper, deeper in the faith of Jesus,
Holy faith and true;
In His pow’r and soul exulting wisdom
Let me peace pursue.
Refrain:
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 5:51am On Jul 26, 2017

WEDNESDAY JULY 26TH 2017

THEME:
ACCESSING DIVINE COUNSEL

MEMORISE:
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
John 17:17

READ: John 17:15-17

15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
1 Kings 2, Ezekiel 16:6-22

Access to divine guidance is one yardstick you can use to determine whether you are a sheep in the fold of Jesus Christ, the Great Shepherd. This is very central to our walk with God, as it determines the status of our relationship with Christ. Amassing years in the faith is not as important as increasing the frequency of receiving divine guidance. This means that if you received Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour some 5, 10, 20 or more years ago, but still cannot easily be led by the Spirit of God on various matters, you are hardly growing spiritually. Romans 8:14 says,
“For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.”

A close walk with the Holy Spirit is the bedrock for receiving divine guidance. In John 16:13, Jesus clearly stated one major reason why the Holy Spirit was sent to the world. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth, and so it falls within the purview of His duties to guide you along the path of truth. If you have a knotty issue that cannot be unravelled, simply go to the Holy Spirit, and He will guide you aright. He operates in the realm of truth and not necessarily facts. Some people equate facts with truth but that is not often the case. Just as lies are a distortion of the facts, facts can sometimes be contrary to truth. Facts are observations that have been subjected to interpretations based on current knowledge, and because knowledge changes, facts can also change.

What then is truth? The Lord Jesus Christ answers this question in John 17:17:
“Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.”
The word of God is truth. Also, the Godhead is an embodiment of truth. In fact, Jesus in John 14:6 declared:
“…I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

Truth is based on faith. If you will receive divine guidance, you must be prepared to walk in God’s path of truth. The truth is ever constant. God wants His children to walk with the truth and not necessarily facts. When a child of God is ill for example, the fact is that there are physical signs and manifestations of the ailment on the individual, but the truth is that Jesus has already paid the price for the healing of every child of God. For this reason, the Bible says we walk by faith (truth) not by sight (facts) (2 Corinthians 5:7). This means, you must be a person of faith. You must live by the truth and not contradict God’s word by your lifestyle. Also, you cannot be telling lies and expect the truth of God to be revealed to you. Choose to live by truth today.

KEY POINT:
A liar cannot receive a revelation of the Truth until he or she is ready to dump falsehood.

AUTHOR:
PASTOR E. A. ADEBOYE

HYMN 15:
THE COMFORTER HAS COME

1. Oh, spread the tidings ’round,
Wherever man is found,
Wherever human hearts
And human woes abound;
Let every Christian tongue
Proclaim the joyful sound:
The Comforter has come!

Refrain:
The Comforter has come,
The Comforter has come!
The Holy Ghost from Heav’n,
The Father’s promise giv’n;
Oh, spread the tidings ’round,
Wherever man is found —
The Comforter has come!

2. The long, long night is past,
The morning breaks at last,
And hushed the dreadful wail
And fury of the blast,
As o’er the golden hills
The day advances fast!
The Comforter has come!
[Refrain]

3. Lo, the great King of kings,
With healing in His wings,
To every captive soul
A full deliv’rance brings;
And through the vacant cells
The song of triumph rings;
The Comforter has come!
[Refrain]

4. O boundless love divine!
How shall this tongue of mine
To wond’ring mortals tell
The matchless grace divine—
That I, a child of hell,
Should in His image shine!
The Comforter has come!
[Refrain]

5. Sing till the echoes fly
Above the vaulted sky,
And all the saints above
To all below reply,
In strains of endless love,
The song that ne’er will die:
The Comforter has come!
[Refrain:]
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 5:34am On Jul 27, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Thurs. 27th July, 2017.
*Wholeness is Possible.*

Memorise
And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole - Luke 17:19.

Read: Luke 17:12-19 (KJV).
12 And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off:
13 And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.
14 And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed.
15 And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God,
16 And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan.
17 And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?
18 There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.
19 And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole.

Bible in One Year: 1 Kings 3-4; Ezekiel 16:23-43.

Hymn: Sing hymn 5 - The Great Physician.

After reflecting on the goodness of God, David wrote in Psalm 103:1:
“Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.”

The lame man in Acts 3:1-8 must have taken a cue from David in praising God. After his burden of 40 years was lifted, he praised God in a very dramatic way, just like David did in times past. When David praised God, his entire body was fully involved. He went to such great extents as removing his royal robes and dancing before God like one of his subjects (2 Samuel 6:14-16). He was used to leaping in praise and honour of the Most High. Have you ever leaped to give God praise?
After God has lifted your burden, in addition to praising Him, you can give Him generous thanks – not the kind of thanks that has to be squeezed forcefully out of you. Thank Him from a heart overflowing with gratitude. Some people are just too stingy! Not only do they find it difficult to give God a good offering from what He has already provided for them, they also find it difficult to give Him thanks. What such people fail to realise is that stinginess has never helped the stingy. What you hoard will go stale, become useless or be lost. Give God thanks and do it with a heart full of gratitude.

Moreover, if you give God quality thanks, you will definitely receive something in return. In other words, when God does something for you and you thank Him generously, He becomes so impressed that He gives you something else in addition to what precipitated your thanksgiving. When all is said and done, you end up with double blessings. Those who give shabby thanks or do not give thanks at all cannot get a second blessing, and if care is not taken, they may even lose their initial blessing to the devil. If you look at the example of the 10 lepers who were healed by the Lord Jesus Christ in today’s Bible reading, you will discover that thanksgiving opens the door to a very special blessing: wholeness! This is a type of blessing that no gate of hell can prevent. When God makes you whole, everyone will know about it. Wholeness is the height of restoration. It is a return to the original state you were in before a burden was placed on you. As you thank God from today, you shall receive the blessing of wholeness in Jesus’ Name.

Prayer Point
Father, as I thank and worship You today, please make me whole.
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 6:10am On Jul 28, 2017

DATE: FRIDAY JULY 28TH 2017

THEME: SITUATION-DEPENDENT SERVICE

Memorise:

And when he came to the den, he cried with a lamentable voice unto Daniel: and the king spake and said to Daniel, O Daniel, servant of the living God, is thy God, whom thou servest continually, able to deliver thee from the lions? Daniel 6:20

Read: Daniel 6:18-23

6:18 Then the king went to his palace, and passed the night fasting: neither were instruments of musick brought before him: and his sleep went from him.

6:19 Then the king arose very early in the morning, and went in haste unto the den of lions.

6:20 And when he came to the den, he cried with a lamentable voice unto Daniel: and the king spake and said to Daniel, O Daniel, servant of the living God, is thy God, whom thou servest continually, able to deliver thee from the lions?

6:21 Then said Daniel unto the king, O king, live for ever.

6:22 My God hath sent his angel, and hath shut the lions' mouths, that they have not hurt me: forasmuch as before him innocency was found in me; and also before thee, O king, have I done no hurt.

6:23 Then was the king exceedingly glad for him, and commanded that they should take Daniel up out of the den. So Daniel was taken up out of the den, and no manner of hurt was found upon him, because he believed in his God.

If you desire to see exploits from the Almighty God, you must know Him personally and believe that He is alive. Unfortunately, when some believers are going through very tough times, you will think that their God is dead. They lose their trust in God, just because they could not feel Him doing anything about their case while putting their trust in Him. Some of such people will no longer confess Him before men because they are afraid He might disappoint them. Hebrew 11:6 says that if you want anything at all from God, you must believe that He is alive and well. You must believe that He continues to exist and that He is in control. No matter how bad your situation may appear, God is still alive and He is in charge. Nothing happens in your life without His knowledge.

After Daniel was set up by some fellow leaders in the government of king Darius, He was thrown into the lion’s den. What the King said to him while he was in the lion’s den is very instructive:
“And when he came to the den, he cried with a lamentable voice unto Daniel: and the king spake and said to Daniel, O Daniel, servant of the living God, is thy God, whom thou servest continually, able to deliver thee from the lions?” Daniel 6:20

In other words, this king recognized that the God of Daniel was the living God. Do people know your God as the living God? Also, King Darius observed the quality of worship Daniel offered to his God. Daniel not only served God in times of plenty, blessings and answered prayers, but also in times of persecution and unanswered prayers. If you truly want to see exploits, you must be ready to serve God continuously. Do you know that many people allow situations and circumstances to affect or determine when they serve God? Some people decide to down tools in God’s house just because a particular pending request has not been granted. Some even “threaten” God that if He doesn’t answer their prayer, they will stop pastoring, winning souls or doing some specific assignments that God has given to them. Can you truly threaten God? Is your love for God dependent on your situation in life? If you have downed tools in God’s service, repent and get back to doing the work that God gave to you!

Key Point:

Although God can deliver His children from any unpleasant situation, He reserves the right to decide whether and when to deliver them or not, depending on what He wants to achieve from that particular situation.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
1 Kings 5-6
Ezekiel 16:44-58

HYMN 14: TAKE MY LIFE

Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.

6. Take my love, my Lord, I pour
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 1:16am On Jul 30, 2017

DATE: SUNDAY 30TH JULY, 2017

THEME: DANGERS OF FINANCIAL STORMS II

Memorise:

But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. 1 Timothy 6:11

Read: 1 Timothy 6:6-11

6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

6:7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

6:11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

On the 23rd of this month, we established that financial storms can breed hatred and discrimination against the poor, and even make them contemplate suicide. Beyond these, financial storm can lead to a situation where people would resort to doing unimaginable things to survive a few more days, weeks or months, just like it happened in Samaria, where people began to eat their own children (2 Kings 6:26-29). When you speak of such scenarios, some people think this can never happen; but not too long ago in Nigeria, a woman was caught after selling her child just to get some money for food. This is almost the same as eating one’s child. When she was arrested, she begged everyone to listen to her story first before judging her. She said she decided to sell her child because she could no longer afford to feed herself and her child. She reasoned that whoever bought the child would feed her, thereby increasing her chances of survival. She explained that if she kept the child, they would both die of hunger, and that from the proceeds of selling her child, at least for a while, her own chances of survival would increase also. She probably never thought that her child could be killed and used for rituals!

Moreover, financial storms drive some people to consult the devil and swallow charms in their desperate bid to prosper. Some of such people are compelled to go to the graveyard at a specific period every month to eat there in order to sustain their wealth. The fear of poverty has really led many people into unthinkable and damnable things they would never have attempted with a sane mind. It is most unfortunate that many believers have allowed themselves to be caught in this same evil net. 1 Timothy 6:9 says,

“But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.”

God has a plan for everyone who comes to Him. In that plan, there is provision to meet all of their needs. However, to partake of the benefits of that divine provision, every child of God would have to follow certain divine principles. In Matthew 6:24-34, Jesus gives the blueprint for this, based on which you would have to focus on God and His Kingdom. If you do this faithfully, then God will make you His focus. It is unfortunate that several people prefer to focus on their needs at the expense of their relationship with God; they keep drifting further away from God’s sure place of provision. If you have drifted away from God in your search for bread, retrace your steps today!

Prayer Point:

Father, by Your mercy, terminate every financial storm in my life and family today.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
1 Kings 8
Ezekiel 17: 11-24

HYMN 10: THERE SHALL BE SHOWERS OF BLESSINGS

1. There shall be showers of blessing:
This is the promise of love;
There shall be seasons refreshing,
Sent from the Saviour above.

Refrain:
Showers of blessing,
Showers of blessing we need:
Mercy-drops round us are falling,
But for the showers we plead.

2. There shall be showers of blessing,
Precious reviving again;
Over the hills and the valleys,
Sound of abundance of rain.
[Refrain]

3. There shall be showers of blessing;
Send them upon us, O Lord;
Grant to us now a refreshing,
Come, and now honour Thy Word.
[Refrain]

4. There shall be showers of blessing:
Oh, that today they might fall,
Now as to God we’re confessing,
Now as on Jesus we call!
[Refrain]

5. There shall be showers of blessing,
If we but trust and obey;
If we let God have His way.
[Refrain]
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Ibukunore06: 4:08am On Jul 30, 2017
��� *LET US PRAY* ���

.. _*SUNDAY, July 30, 2017*_

*PRAYER POINTS* :- _DANGERS OF FINANCIAL STORMS (II)._

1. *THANKSGIVINGS* .

2. *INTERCESSIONS/SUPPLICATIONS.*

3. *PRAYERS FROM OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL.*

----- Father, I thank you because *YOU ARE THE GOD THAT GIVES POWER TO GET WEALTH........*

---- Father, I thank you for saving me and for the salvation of my soul.....

----- Father, by Your mercy, please terminate every financial storm in my life and family today, in Jesus' Name........

----- Father, this season, please turn my situation around, and make me to lend to Nations, in Jesus' Name........

----- Father, please overwhelm me with an unprecedented breakthrough in finances today, in Jesus' Name........

----- Father, in your power, please prosper our nation in every way, in Jesus' Name........

----- Father, please send prosperity into Your Church today, in Jesus' Name........

4. *PERSONAL PRAYERS REQUESTS:*
-- (John 16:23 - 24,
-- LUKE 18:1,
-- MATT 7:7 - cool......

---- FATHER, I thank you for the answers, for in *JESUS' MIGHTY* Name I have Prayed......

1 Like

Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 6:32am On Jul 31, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Mon. 31st July, 2017.
*PROVISION BEFORE NEED.*

_Memorise:_
According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
- 2 Peter 1:3.

Read: 2 Peter 1:1-4
1:1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:
1:2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

"God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.” Psalm 46:5

From the above passage of scripture, one great benefit available to those who have God as their Refuge is that the help or assistance they need will never be late. There are at least three different times an individual can receive assistance. It could be before, during or after one experience a need. If a need or an emergency arises today and you already have the wherewithal to meet that need, maybe from your earnings from paid employment or a business venture, you have already received help before that need arose. This is a great place to be in! Some families already have all they will ever need to take care of their children and pay their way up to post-graduate degree programme, even before this need arises. Such people will never panic for school fees. This is an example of provision before need, and it describes a state of living in abundance. You will experience such in Jesus' Name!

Moreover, do you know that God follows this same pattern in dealing with His children? For example, before God created Adam and Eve, all they would ever need had been provided for in the Garden of Eden which God Himself planted. God knows exactly what you need even before you express or voice out your request (Matthew 6:32). Do you know that God has already provided all you would ever need to live a victorious Christian life and to fulfill your God-given destiny? The Holy Spirit speaks about this to us in 2 Peter 1:3 where He says;

“According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:”

It is therefore possible for you to be a beneficiary of provision before need. However, one major challenge for most people with regards to this benefit is that when there is provision to meet their future needs, they become careless, frivolous and wasteful. When God provides ahead of time, it is possible to spend it on other things outside God’s purpose. You therefore need divine guidance even in plenty. Having abundance does not justify wastefulness in God’s Kingdom. However, to partake of this great benefit, you need to increase your knowledge of the Provider, walk in obedience to Him, follow spiritual financial principles and wait on His directives always.

Action Point:
What some people waste daily is more than enough to feed several needy, hungry people. To trigger blessings from the Lord, such excess should be spent on meeting the needs of others.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
1 Kings 9-10
Ezekiel 18: 1-18

HYMN 10: THERE SHALL BE SHOWERS OF BLESSINGS.

1. There shall be showers of blessing:
This is the promise of love;
Sent from the Saviour above.

Refrain:
Showers of blessing,
Showers of blessing we need:
Mercy-drops round us are falling,
But for the showers we plead.

2. There shall be showers of blessing,
Precious reviving again;
Over the hills and the valleys,
Sound of abundance of rain.
[Refrain]

3. There shall be showers of blessing;
Send them upon us, O Lord;
Grant to us now a refreshing,
Come, and now honour Thy Word.
[Refrain]

4. There shall be showers of blessing:
Oh, that today they might fall,
Now as to God we’re confessing,
Now as on Jesus we call!
[Refrain]

5. There shall be showers of blessing,
If we but trust and obey;
If we let God have His way.
[Refrain]
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 5:53am On Aug 01, 2017

DATE: TUESDAY 1ST AUGUST 2017

THEME: TIRED OF STAGNANCY?

Memorise:

This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. Joshua 1:8

Read: 2 Peter 1:5-10

5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

The word “stagnation” is commonly used to describe the state of a standing body of water that is devoid of current flow, which consequently results in unpleasant smell. It can also be used to describe a dull and sluggish situation where there is little or no evidence of activity. Just as a body of water can become stagnant, a person’s life can also enter into a state of stagnancy. Stagnancy ultimately leads to lack of productivity, barrenness, fruitlessness, indebtedness, poverty, failure, sorrow and disappointment. Moreover, stagnancy sometimes develops into a state of confusion, inferiority complex, faithlessness, hopelessness and a loss of ambition. If a stagnated person does not receive help on time, the situation may degenerate into feelings of regret, depression psychological imbalance and even suicide. I hereby decree into your life: in any area you may be experiencing stagnancy, receive the power to make progress now in Jesus’ Name.

Do you know that sin within a person’s life is a more deadly destroyer of destiny than other external enemies? Out of all the numerous agents that the devil uses to cause stagnancy, the paralyzing effect of sin is the most potent weapon that prevents people from making progress. Once a person steps into sin, the stagnating power of sin becomes activated in the person’s life. Consequently, guilty conscience, loss of confidence, and the law of divine retribution all combine to ensure that every effort to make real progress is rendered null and void. However, God has provided a very effective way of escape for anyone who is tired of stagnancy. According to today’s memory verse, meditating on and living in obedience to the word of God destroys the power of stagnancy and guarantees success and prosperity. Through this scripture, the Holy Spirit is saying that if the word of God abounds in you and you are completely obedient to its principles, the Lord will ensure that agents of stagnancy such as barrenness, unfruitfulness, blindness and short-sightedness are rendered impotent in your life. The question is, are you tired of stagnancy? Are you ready to do what it takes to break the stronghold of stagnancy in your life? If you are yet to give your life to Jesus, you need to first surrender your life to Him right now, confessing Him as your Lord and Saviour. Following this, you must develop a hunger for studying God’s principles intensively through the Bible and begin to live according to His word. As you commit yourself to these things, the power of God will descend on you to set you free from stagnancy and divinely empower you to make progress in all areas of your life. Welcome to the unstoppable generation.

Prayer Point:
Father, please break the power of stagnancy over my life and work in Jesus’ Name.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:

1 Kings 11
Ezekiel 18: 19-29

HYMN 11: I HAVE DECIDED TO FOLLOW JESUS

1. I have decided to follow Jesus;

2. Though none go with me, still I will follow;

3. My cross I’ll carry, till I see Jesus;

4. The world behind me, the cross before me;
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 2:44am On Aug 02, 2017

DATE: WEDNESDAY AUGUST 2ND 2017

THEME: WANT YOUR PRAYERS ANSWERED?

Memorise:

Whoso stoppeth his ears at the cry of the poor, he also shall cry himself, but shall not be heard. Proverb 21:13

Read: Psalm 22:1-5

1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

2 O my God, I cry in the day time, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.

3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

4 Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.

5 They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.

There was a popular Mexican soap opera on the Nigerian television scene a few years ago titled “The Rich Also Cry”. The title of this drama gives credence to the fact that every human being, no matter how intelligent, wealthy, powerful or highly placed, would at one time or the other in life require assistance to deal with circumstances beyond human capability and control. The situation that renders a person of great means incapacitated is usually the type that money, authority and influence cannot resolve. At such times, a call for supernatural assistance or divine intervention through desperate prayers to the Almighty God is the only option left. I pray that as you call on the Name of the Lord in the day of trouble, He will answer you by fire in Jesus’ Name. However, if you want your prayers to be answered, you have a responsibility to ensure that you are not in the habit of blocking your ears to the petitions of the poor and needy ones around you. Our memory verse says that a person who heartlessly disregards the needs of the feeble, weak and helpless is wicked. The prayers of such a person will be disregarded in the day of trouble, no matter how desperate their cry for help may be.

It is common knowledge that many African nations and some developing countries around the world have suffered and are still suffering under corrupt, selfish and tyrannical leaders. Officials are known to be crooked, and a bribe is required before any service is rendered. Salary and wages are not paid when due, and they are sometimes delays for months on end by government and corporate employers. We have also seen some Christian ministers and cleric showing more interest in monetary gain than in serving God and the people. It is time for everyone involved in such evil acts to note that eternal damnation awaits them if they fail to repent. One of the terrible realities of our time is the fact that even the Church is falling short in fulfilling her responsibilities to the poor and needy. The church must not leave the less-privileged persons in our communities at the mercy of politicians and government officials, irrespective of their promises and political agenda for the poor. This is because God has neither suspended nor revoked our mandate to care for the poor. The body of Christ must wake up to the responsibilities of a loving and caring Church, if we want our collective prayers to be answered by God. I live my life in total dependence on the Almighty God as the Source of my life and all that I do; I am nothing without Him. I therefore, cannot even bear to imagine what my life would be like if God ceases to hear me when I call Him. I decree in the Name that is above all other names that heaven will never ignore your cry for Help in Jesus’ Name.

Prayer Point:

Father, please give me grace to be a great source of assistance to impoverished people around the world in Jesus’ Name.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:

1 Kings 12-13
Ezekiel 18:30-19:14

HYMN 9: ON THE HILL FAR AWAY

1. On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame;
And I love that old cross where the Dearest and Best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

Refrain:

So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it someday for a crown.

2. Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary.
Refrain:

3. In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see,
For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me.
Refrain:

4. To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He’ll call me someday to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I’ll share.
Refrain:
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 6:28am On Aug 03, 2017
OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL.
THURSDAY AUGUST 3RD 2017
COME YE APART (I).

Memorise
On the first day shall be an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.
- Leviticus 23:35.

Read: MARK 6:30-32.
6:30 And the apostles gathered themselves together unto Jesus, and told him all things, both what they had done, and what they had taught.
6:31 And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat.
6:32 And they departed into a desert place by ship privately.

“Come ye apart” is a call for a holy convocation or a coming together of the saints in a solemn assembly. In the Bible, such a meeting was often called to enable the people of God separate themselves unto God. Such special days were devoted to spiritual activities such as praise worship, celebration, Scripture reading, fasting, prayers and offering of sacrifices. In today’s Bible reading, the Lord Jesus Christ called for a holy convocation or solemn assembly with His disciples. The Disciples had just returned from their very first missionary tour. Although they had many victories and testimonies of healing and casting out of demons, they were also very tired, confused (from seeing strangers casting out demons in the Name of Jesus), and full of several questions they wanted to ask the Master. On getting back to Jesus, they immediately bombarded Him with their reports, but Jesus would not engage them in the presence of the multitude. Instead, He called them apart for a solemn assembly. He said to them, “Come ye apart and rest a while”. Within the atmosphere of peace and quiet, the disciples were able to tell Jesus all about their labour, victories, and challenges and ask their questions unhindered. The Lord Jesus in turn was able to properly instruct them, answer all their questions, clear their doubts and minister to them appropriately.

However, it should be noted that the call for a solemn assembly was intentionally made to exclude multitude. It was strictly designed for the hardworking disciples, who were exhausted, to come away and rest for some time. A solemn assembly is therefore a time to recharge our spiritual battery, a time of deep reflection and a time to meditate on the word of God. It is meant to be a time of total rest from daily physical work in order to be in the presence of the Lord. It is a time of separation unto God for spiritual worship, fasting and prayers, with expectation of divine visitation. It is a time of very serious business with God that leaves no room for pettiness, gossip, indiscipline or any form of carnality. That is why the solemn assembly in the Redeemed Christian Church of God is strictly meant for matured ministers and workers of the church. “Come ye apart” is an open invitation by God to His favoured children as a means of setting them apart for divine blessings. It could be a call to an individual, as was the case with Moses in Exodus 34:2-3, or a call to a group of people, as was the case with Jacob and his family in Genesis 35:1-7. May you receive your own special invitation today in Jesus’ Name.

PRAYER POINT:
Father, as I separate myself to You in consecration, please set me apart for Your special blessings in Jesus’ Name.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
1 Kings 14-15
Ezekiel 20:1-13.

HYMN 6: DEEPER, DEEPER.
1. Deeper, deeper in the love of Jesus
Daily let me go;
Higher, higher in the school of wisdom,
More of grace to know.

Refrain:
Oh, deeper yet, I pray,
And higher every day,
And wiser, blessed Lord,
In Thy precious, holy Word.

2. Deeper, deeper, blessed Holy Spirit,
Take me deeper still,
Till my life is wholly lost in Jesus,
And His perfect will.

Refrain:

3. Deeper, deeper! though it cost hard trials,
Deeper let me go!
Rooted in the holy love of Jesus,
Let me fruitful grow.

Refrain:

4. Deeper, higher, every day in Jesus,
Till all conflict past,
Finds me conqu’ror, and in His own image
Perfected at last.

Refrain:

5. Deeper, deeper in the faith of Jesus,
Holy faith and true;
In His pow’r and soul exulting wisdom
Let me peace pursue.

Refrain:
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 5:12am On Aug 05, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Sat. 5th August, 2017.
GOOD NEIGHBOURLINESS.

Memorise
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
- Hebrew 12:14.

Read: 2 Kings 4:1-7.
4:1 Now there cried a certain woman of the wives of the sons of the prophets unto Elisha, saying, Thy servant my husband is dead; and thou knowest that thy servant did fear the Lord: and the creditor is come to take unto him my two sons to be bondmen.
4:2 And Elisha said unto her, What shall I do for thee? tell me, what hast thou in the house? And she said, Thine handmaid hath not anything in the house, save a pot of oil.
4:3 Then he said, Go, borrow thee vessels abroad of all thy neighbours, even empty vessels; borrow not a few.
4:4 And when thou art come in, thou shalt shut the door upon thee and upon thy sons, and shalt pour out into all those vessels, and thou shalt set aside that which is full.
4:5 So she went from him, and shut the door upon her and upon her sons, who brought the vessels to her; and she poured out.
4:6 And it came to pass, when the vessels were full, that she said unto her son, Bring me yet a vessel. And he said unto her, There is not a vessel more. And the oil stayed.
4:7 Then she came and told the man of God. And he said, Go, sell the oil, and pay thy debt, and live thou and tahy children of the rest.

Being the God who knows the end from the beginning and the beginning from the end, when the Lord gives a commandment, it’s because He has already considered the beginning, the present and the end. This consideration applies to the Lord’s commandment in today’s memory verse, instructing us to follow peace with all men. This commandment is for our good, both now and hereafter. You need to practice good neighborliness for the sake of the gospel and to bring glory to your father in Heaven. The story of the widow in today’s Bible reading demonstrates the blessings that come through good neighborliness. This widow cried to Elisha because her husband owed a debt he could not pay before he died, and her two sons were to be sold into slavery to settle the debt. The prophet asked her what she had that God could work with, and she mentioned a pot of oil. That was more than enough for the God that brought something as great as the universe from nothing. So, Elisha asked the widow to go to her neighbours and borrow as many vessels as were available, after which she should lock herself up with her sons for the business of miracle oil-bottling. They did this and the oil began to flow until there were no more empty vessels left. The widow eventually became an oil merchant because the prophet directed her to sell the oil, pay the creditors and use the rest of the money to meet the needs of her family.

There are many lessons we can learn from this story. First, we must value what we have because it is what we have that God will use to meet our needs. Secondly, no matter how much we may have in our possession, it is always more than enough for God to perform His miracles in our lives with. This truth was also demonstrated when Jesus used five loaves and two fishes to feed more than five thousand people (Matthew 14:17-21). Thirdly, without the assistance of the widow’s neighbours, the effect of the miracle would have been limited. We would always need our neighbours and our neighbours would always need us. The absence of good neighbourliness would have denied this widow the use of her neighbours’ vessels. She would not have had the courage to go to her neighbours if she had been fighting them. Beloved, as taught by our Lord Jesus Christ, let us add good neighbourliness to our Christian virtue. Matthew 5:16 says,
“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”

Good neighbourliness produces both spiritual and physical blessings. Therefore, in the Church of God and in our community, let us be agents of peace, unity and friendliness. Through this, unbelievers will see our good works and be drawn to our Heavenly Father.

Action Point:
Determine in your heart to do good to at least one person a day, and pray for grace to do it.

HYMN 9: ON THE HILL FAR AWAY.
1. On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame;
And I love that old cross where the Dearest and Best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

Refrain:
So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it someday for a crown.

2. Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary.
[Refrain]

3. In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see,
For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me.
[Refrain]

4. To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He’ll call me someday to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I’ll share.
[Refrain]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 4:25am On Aug 06, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Sunday 6th August, 2017.
LIKE THEOPHILUS?

Memorise
Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
- Psalm 91:14.

Read: Luke 1:1-4.
1 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us,
2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;
3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,
4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

The name by which a person is identified is very significant. The Jews and a good number of Africa cultures attach great importance to the names they give to their children. It is amazing that God Almighty also recognizes the influences of names on the lives of their bearers. For example, while entering into a convenient with Abram, God changed his name to Abraham, and He gave reasons for this (Genesis 32:28). The Lord Jesus and His apostles also gave people new names (Mark 3:16-17, Acts 4:36).

In our Bible reading today, we read about a man whose name was Theophilus. ‘Theophilus’ in Greek means “lover of God”. It is amazing that this man loved God so much that he earnestly sought to know about Him and His Christ. His curiosity about God produced two of the twenty-seven books of the New Testament: the gospel according to St. Luke and the Acts of the Apostles (Luke 1:1-3, Acts 1:1). When you love someone, you would seek to know more about that fellow. This was exactly the attitude of Theophilus towards God. His drive to know God more, led Luke to write his gospel on the life of Jesus. However, his continued thirst made him unsatisfied with just one book about Him, thereby necessitating the need for a second book to be written by Luke, which is now referred to as the Acts of the Apostles.

There are several lessons we can learn from the life and attitude of Theophilus, one of which is that in spite of his highly exalted position, Theophilus still sought to know the truth about Jesus Christ. The Bible says you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free (John 8:32). Whenever you are confronted with an idea, be it religious or philosophical, try and find out the truth embedded in it. Some people completely fall for some religious ideas without first finding out the authenticity; hence, they have been deceived to believe lies. Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, yarned to know more of Jesus (Philippians 3:10). If you love Jesus, you would want to know more of Him through regular Bible study and fellowshipping with genuine Christians. The benefits of loving God and His Christ are obvious from our memory verse. When you love God, he will deliver you from erring from the truth (John 10:1-14). He will also promote you because your personal relationship with Him will avail for you. Beloved, do you love God? To what extent do you love Him? Jesus Christ, in John 14:15, said:
“If ye love me, keep my commandments.”

By this benchmark, can you say you truly love Him?

Prayer Point:
Father, help me to love You as I ought to: in deed and in truth.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
1 Kings 20-21
Ezekiel 20:39-49.

HYMN 1: MY FAITH LOOKS UP TO THEE.
Thou Lamb of Calvary,
Savior divine!
Take all my guilt away,
Oh, let me from this day
Be wholly Thine!

My zeal inspire!
Oh, may my love to Thee
A living fire!

And grief's around me spread,
Be Thou my guide;
Nor let me ever stray
From Thee aside.

Be near to me;
Blest Savior, then in love,
Fear and distrust remove;
O bear me safe above,
Redeemed and free!
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 6:11am On Aug 07, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Monday 7th August, 2017.
YE SHALL BE THE HEAD.

Memorise
And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
- 2 Colossians 2:10.

Read: Deuteronomy 28:1-14.
28:1 And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the Lord thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth:
28:2 And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God.
28:3 Blessed shalt thou be in the city, and blessed shalt thou be in the field.
28:4 Blessed shall be the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy ground, and the fruit of thy cattle, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep.
28:5 Blessed shall be thy basket and thy store.
28:6 Blessed shalt thou be when thou comest in, and blessed shalt thou be when thou goest out.
28:7 The Lord shall cause thine enemies that rise up against thee to be smitten before thy face: they shall come out against thee one way, and flee before thee seven ways.
28:8 The Lord shall command the blessing upon thee in thy storehouses, and in all that thou settest thine hand unto; and he shall bless thee in the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
28:9 The Lord shall establish thee an holy people unto himself, as he hath sworn unto thee, if thou shalt keep the commandments of the Lord thy God, and walk in his ways.
28:10 And all people of the earth shall see that thou art called by the name of the Lord; and they shall be afraid of thee.
28:11 And the Lord shall make thee plenteous in goods, in the fruit of thy body, and in the fruit of thy cattle, and in the fruit of thy ground, in the land which the Lord sware unto thy fathers to give thee.
28:12 The Lord shall open unto thee his good treasure, the heaven to give the rain unto thy land in his season, and to bless all the work of thine hand: and thou shalt lend unto many nations, and thou shalt not borrow.
28:13 And the Lord shall make thee the head, and not the tail; and thou shalt be above only, and thou shalt not be beneath; if that thou hearken unto the commandments of the Lord thy God, which I command thee this day, to observe and to do them:
28:14 And thou shalt not go aside from any of the words which I command thee this day, to the right hand, or to the left, to go after other gods to serve them.

The head is the most important part of the body; hence, kings and priests were anointed on their heads and Christ is referred to as the Head of the Church (Ephesian 4:15). Also, more often than not, symbols of power, authority and honor are displayed on the head. The body is able to operate efficiently because the head is capable of interpreting data received from the body, and also because the head is able to send out appropriate signals to the various parts of the body. The capacity of the head to intelligently interpret and direct the activities of the whole body makes the existence of the body completely dependent on the head. For this reason, we as the Body of Christ are totally dependent on Him, who is our Head. The Lord has also sent us as His representatives to be head over every situation around us. Henceforth, you shall be the head and the most important personality within sphere of influence in Jesus’ Name.

To be the head indeed is not a theoretical concept but a practical reality that must be manifested. A person who is really the head must effectively provide leadership through the coordination of all the abilities at his or her disposal. From a physical point of view; the eyes are there to provide vision, the ears to collect information through sound, the nose for smelling, the tongue for taste and the mouth for verbal communication. The brain has the responsibility of processing the various data gathered by these different parts of the head, either for immediate use or for future application, as the case may be. If any of these organs that form part of the head is impaired, the head will not be able to effectively perform its leadership role in the body. For you to be head indeed, every ability that you need in order to provide leadership, be it spiritual, physical or resource-wise, must not be impaired. I therefore, pray that God will perfect everything about you, so that you will provide excellent leadership, in the Name of Jesus. Among other things, three factors are necessary for a head to perform effectively: eyes that see, ears that hear and a mouth that speaks. Physical eyes are required to view things in general, while spiritual eyes are necessary for divine revelation to see beyond the physical realm. Ears that function properly listen to people and also hear from God. Picking up divine communication is absolutely necessary for anyone who will be the head. Also, a functional mouth is most necessary for communicating with fellow men and for making declaration in the Name of Jesus. I pray for you that you will receive clear vision, your ears will hear the sound from heaven, your mouth will make irreversible decrees, you shall be an effective head in the mighty Name of Jesus.

Prayer Point:
Father, please touch my head and bless me with everything I need to be a successful leader in Jesus’ Name.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
1 Kings 22
Ezekiel 21:1-17.

HYMN 7: O JESUS I HAVE PROMISED.
1. O Jesus, I have promised to serve Thee to the end;
Be Thou forever near me, my Master and my Friend;
I shall not fear the battle if Thou art by my side,
Nor wander from the pathway if Thou wilt be my Guide.

2. Oh, let me hear Thee speaking in accents clear and still,
I dare not trust my judgment: Thy way shall be my will;
Oh, speak to reassure me, to hasten or control;
Oh, speak, and help me listen, Thou Guardian of my soul.

3. O Jesus, Thou hast promised to all who follow Thee
That where Thou art in glory there shall Thy servant be;
And Jesus, I have promised to serve Thee to the end—
Oh, give me grace to follow, my Master and my Friend.

4. Oh, let me see Thy footprints, and in them plant mine own;
My hope to follow duly is in Thy strength alone;
Oh, guide me, call me, draw me, uphold me to the end;
And then in Heav’n receive me, my Savior and my Friend.
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 5:45am On Aug 08, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Tuesday 8th August, 2017.
THE ALMIGHTY.

Memorise
For with God nothing shall be impossible.
- Luke 1:37.

Read: Genesis 17:1-2.
1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.
2 And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.

In Genesis 17:1, for the first time, God revealed Himself as El-Shaddai: the Almighty God.

Here, He was reiterating His wonderful promises to Abraham at the age of ninety-nine, particularly that he would bear a son, despite him and Sarah being very advanced in age.

Prior to this revelation, God had been identified as the Creator of the heavens and the earth, and He had also made Himself known as the God who knows all things. However, this time, He wanted to introduce Himself as the God who has the power to do all things.

The eternal power of the Almighty is evident in the work of creation, and at a more personal level, the exceeding greatness of His power is expressed in all believers by the regeneration of our spirit man, through the same power that raised Jesus Christ from the dead (Romans 1:20, Ephesians 1:19-20).

Several accounts in the Bible teach us that the unlimited power of the Almighty is always at work in any given situation to make all things go according to His original plan and purpose.

For example, in the book of Ruth, Naomi was the only survivor of a tragic family decision to sojourn in the land of Moab. After a ten-year absence, the Lord brought her back to Bethlehem in His character as Jehovah, the covenant-keeping God.

Later on, in His capacity as the Almighty, He exercised His power to implement His purpose in the life of Ruth and Naomi, so much so that the same circumstances that Naomi found to be bitter in Ruth 1:20 went on to bring about great joy and celebration at the end of the day.

What a mighty God we serve! I therefore decree into your life, no matter what you are passing through at the moment, the original purpose of God for your life shall be established in the mighty Name of Jesus.
The almightiness of God can be translated to mean that with God, nothing shall be impossible.

The Almighty God has proved Himself beyond any reasonable doubt in this regard. The book of Genesis reveals the power of God to bring everything we see in creation today into reality from virtually nothing.

Exodus showcases among others things the execution of the ten plagues and the final deliverance of Israel from the hand of pharaoh in such a miraculous way. Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy highlight the journey of the Israelites through the wilderness with great miracles and wonders attending to them daily.

Joshua records how a feeble, worn-out and ill-equipped nation of Israel was assisted by the Almighty God to destroy and inherit the lands of nations consisting of giants. The list is inexhaustible! I therefore decree, that the power of the Almighty God will work in your life today to do the impossible, in the mighty Name of Jesus.

Prayer Point:
Father, You are the Almighty, please do a mighty thing in my life today in Jesus’ Name.

HYMN 3: HOW GREAT THOU ART.
1. O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.
Refrain:
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

2. When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.
Refrain

3. And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.
Refrain

4. When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.
Then I shall bow, in humble adoration,
And then proclaim: "My God, how great Thou art!"
Refrain
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 4:31am On Aug 09, 2017

DATE: WEDNESDAY AUGUST 9TH 2017

THEME: JEHOVAH NISSI

Memorise:

Plead my cause, O Lord, with them that strive with me: fight against them that fight me. Psalm 35:1

Read: Exodus 17:8-16

17:8 Then came Amalek, and fought with Israel in Rephidim.

17:9 And Moses said unto Joshua, Choose us out men, and go out, fight with Amalek: to morrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the rod of God in mine hand.

17:10 So Joshua did as Moses had said to him, and fought with Amalek: and Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill.

17:11 And it came to pass, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed: and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed.

17:12 But Moses hands were heavy; and they took a stone, and put it under him, and he sat thereon; and Aaron and Hur stayed up his hands, the one on the one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.

17:13 And Joshua discomfited Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword.

17:14 And the Lord said unto Moses, Write this for a memorial in a book, and rehearse it in the ears of Joshua: for I will utterly put out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven.

17:15 And Moses built an altar, and called the name of it Jehovahnissi:

17:16 For he said, Because the Lord hath sworn that the Lord will have war with Amalek from generation to generation.

Jehovah Nissi in the third revealed compound Name of God, meaning “The Lord is my Banner”. It was the Name Moses gave the altar he built following Israel’s victory over Amalek in Exodus 17:15. The word “nissi” means banner, standard or flag. A banner is the rallying point for warriors in the time of battle. Moses named the altar ‘the Lord is my banner” to acknowledge God’s active role in fighting for the nation of Israel, and at the same time, to testify to God’s continued war against the people of Amalek from generation to generation (Exodus 17:16). This altar stood as a witness to the whole world that the God of Israel was behind the victory over the Amalekites. You may recall that this battle with Amalek took place under the upraised hands of Moses, holding the rod of God. Moses therefore, named the altar Jehovah Nissi with the consciousness of the role that God played in the battle. Starting from today, the hand of God will be so evident against all your enemies and detractors that you will begin to sing “The Lord is my banner” in Jesus’ Name.

It is amazing to note that the ordinary rod that Moses used in his years as a shepherd had become the rod of God in today’s Bible reading. This shows that anything we surrender to God or commit into His hands in support of His kingdom is made to pass through an unseen divine transformation over time. I therefore pray that as you submit yourself under the mighty hand of God today, He will transform you and your natural gifts into supernatural objects and vessels of honour to achieve great and mighty things for His Name in Jesus’ Name. It is also important to note that Amalek came out of the blues and decided to wage war against Israel without any provocation. This provoked the anger of God against them, so much so that He promised to completely wipe out the memory of Amalek from the face of the earth (Exodus 17:14). Therefore, I decree by the word of the Lord that Jehovah Nissi will raise His standard against anyone who is angry with you and plotting evil against you without cause, or fighting against you without any provocation, and they will be completely destroyed in the mighty Name of Jesus. The story in our Bible reading is more like a blueprint of how God’s children should deal with anyone or anything that is identified as an enemy of God’s kingdom. The strategic tools deployed here include fervent prayers, knowledge of God’s word, the advocacy of Jesus, the rod of divine judgment, and believers’ unity. We should learn to deploy these tools to spur Jehovah Nissi into action against the enemy on our behalf.

Prayer Point:

Jehovah Nissi, please fight every enemy that is stirred up against the advancement of Your Kingdom in every corner of the world.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:

2 Kings 3-4
Ezekiel 22:1-16

HYMN 4: THROUGH THE LOVE OF GOD OUR SAVIOUR

1. Through the love of God, our Saviour,
All will be well;
Free and changeless is His favour,
All will be well;
Precious is the blood that healed us,
Perfect is the grace that sealed us,
Strong the hand stretched out to shield us,
All will be well.

2. Though we pass through tribulation,
All will be well;
Ours is such a full salvation,
All will be well.
Happy when in God confiding,
Fruitful if in Christ abiding,
Holy through the Spirit's guiding,
All will be well.

3. We expect a bright tomorrow;
All will be well;
Faith can sing through days of sorrow,
All will be well;
On our Father's love relying,
Jesus every need supplying
In our living, in our dying,
All will be well.

2 Likes

Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 5:40am On Aug 10, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Thursday 10th August, 2017.
SPIRITUAL ARMOUR.

Memorise
Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
- Romans 8:37.

Read: Ephesian 6:10-18.
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Weapons of war usually fall under two major categories: offensive and defensive. Body armour can be classified as defensive weapons of war against missiles, projectiles and handheld combat weapons; they work as protective covering, designed to safeguard vital parts of the body. Today’s Bible reading talks about spiritual warfare, revealing how the different parts of physical body armour mirror the spiritual armour available to us as believers in Christ. We have at our disposal invisible weapons of spiritual warfare that are potent against the wicked assault of the enemy. In Ephesian 6:11, our spiritual armour is referred to as the armour of God, which implies that it possesses divine attributes, making it indestructible by the power of the devil. We are invited to “put on the whole armour of God”. However, this armour is inaccessible to those who have not accepted the Lordship of Jesus Christ over their lives.

Putting on the armour of God is equivalent to putting on Jesus, and He is more than enough to protect us against all evil and temptations we may encounter. Romans 13:14 says,
“But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof.”

Putting on Jesus involves accepting Him as Lord and Saviour, meditating on His word day and night, living a life of holiness, and spreading His gospel. I pray that in the heat of the battle of life, the armour of God will be your strong defense in Jesus’ Name.

The Bible used the imagery of physical warfare to communicate a powerful spiritual message to us in Ephesian 6:10-18. Firstly, we are asked to gird our waist with the sturdy belt of the truth. It’s with this same belt that our sword is fastened to our body. In the days of old, a soldier girded in this manner was recognized as being on active duty. We are expected to gird ourselves with truth as the foundation of all our spiritual activities. Next, we are to find our protection in righteousness. Also, our feet should be ever ready to move with the gospel of peace. We should arm ourselves with the shield of faith to quench all the fiery arrows of the enemy. To protect our head, the most important part of our body, we must put on the helmet of salvation. The helmet of salvation is required to protect our spiritual destiny. Finally, as soldiers of Christ, we are to wield the “sword of the Spirit” which is the spoken word of God. As the only offensive weapon mentioned, this is the soldier’s most important weapon, and it is supplied by the Holy spirit. I decree that God will fortify you and make you untouchable to the devil in Jesus’ Name.

Prayer Point:
Father, please prepare and equip me for battle as a good soldier of Christ in Jesus’ Name.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
2 Kings 5-6
Ezekiel 22:17-31

AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A. ADEBOYE.

HYMN 18: ONWARD CHRISTIAN SOLDIER.

1. Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
With the cross of Jesus going on before.
Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe;
Forward into battle see His banners go!

Refrain:
Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,

2. At the sign of triumph Satan’s host doth flee;
On then, Christian soldiers, on to victory!
Hell’s foundations quiver at the shout of praise;
Brothers, lift your voices, loud your anthems raise.
Refrain:

3. Like a mighty army moves the church of God;
Brothers, we are treading where the saints have trod.
We are not divided, all one body we,
One in hope and doctrine, one in charity.
Refrain:

4. Onward then, ye people, join our happy throng,
Blend with ours your voices in the triumph song.
Glory, laud, and honor unto Christ the King,
This through countless ages men and angels sing.
Refrain:
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 7:08am On Aug 11, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Friday 11th August, 2017.
TRICKS OF THE DEVIL (I).

Memorise
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
- Proverbs 16:18.

Read: Isaiah 14:12-16.
12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;

A trick is a cunning act or scheme intended to deceive or outwit a person. One of the greatest tricks by which the devil deceives men today is to cause their hearts to be lifted up in pride. Through pride, the hearts of mankind have rebelled against the knowledge and authority of God. Pride comes with arrogance, pomp presumption, conceit, self-satisfaction, boasting, high-mindedness and haughtiness. It is especially dangerous because of its silence and the stealth by which it operates. When pride is well seated in the heart and has taken full charge of a person, it becomes extremely difficult to pin down. However, we thank God because the light of God’s word is bright enough to expose it in all its forms. To understand pride, we need to consider the first entity in whom pride was found: Satan. Isaiah 14:13-14 reveals the thoughts of his heart that made God depose him from his exalted position in heaven:
"For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High."

A careful consideration of the above scripture shows that pride is basically a sin that has its roots in the attitude and the heart. Hence, Proverb 21:4 speaks of “a haughty look” and “a proud heart” as sin. The first thing to watch out for in a man or woman with pride in their heart is the emphasis on their person in their speech. The speech of such people is normally laden with the personal pronoun “I”. In a single short statement, Satan made reference to himself five times. “I will ascend, I will exalt my throne, I will sit, I will ascend above, and I will be like the most high”.

Secondly, the proud displays an unwarranted attitude of confidence and inordinate ambition, such as displayed by Satan. He was not satisfied with where God placed him, and he actually wanted to supplant God Himself. He was so confident of himself that he thought he could ascend into heaven and exercise dominion over all the angels of God all by himself.

However, pride cannot remain internalized or hidden. It often finds expression: through speech (such as boastings) through looks and through behaviour, such as acts of impatience and contemptible treatment of others. The Bible highlights the inevitable downfall of a proud person, and we should learn from what happened to Satan (Proverb 16:18, Ezekiel 28:16-19). The proud will not escape God’s terrible judgment; therefore, be warned!

Prayer Point:
Father, please expose every hidden tendency of pride and related attitudes in my life and completely destroy them, in Jesus’ Name.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
2 Kings 7-8
Ezekiel 23:1-21

HYMN 7: OH JESUS I HAVE PROMISED.

Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 6:02am On Aug 12, 2017

DATE: SATURDAY AUGUST 12TH 2017

THEME: TRICKS OF THE DEVIL II

Memorise:

Be not desirous of his dainties: for they are deceitful meat.
Proverb 23:3

Read: Luke 4:5-8

4:5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

4:6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

4:7 If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.

4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Today, we are considering another trick of the devil, which is trapping a person through inordinate desires. This tactic often takes the form of a sweet and generous offer used in sugar-coating a poisonous pill. Such offers can come as a gift, an appointment or a promise of greatness. The packaging of such offers is always tasteful, attractive and elegant, but inside lies destruction. The devil tried to play this trick on the Lord Jesus Himself in today’s Bible reading. In many cases, no matter how much you try, you may not see anything wrong with the whole arrangement at the initial stage, but at the end of the day, you will find yourself entrapped to do the bidding of your “benefactor” against your wish. The rich and the powerful of this world deploy this trick in getting what they want. They use the luxuries they can provide to entrap the less wealthy and vulnerable, who may feel obligated to do their bidding. Many victim of this scam have been disappointed, enslaved and some have even lost their lives. I enjoin Christian youths to be warned that those who are addicted to pleasure, who always have their eyes roving and seeking for a luxurious lifestyle, will easily be sucked in and entrapped by these wicked predators. The language of Satan and his agents is “All this power will I give thee and the glory of them” (Luke 4:6). I pray that you will not be deceived or fall victim of such wicked deceivers in the mighty Name of Jesus.

For diverse reasons, this particular trick of the devil is especially potent and effective in this generation more than any other time in the history of mankind. We are in a world where instant riches, riotous living, exhibition of immorality and the pursuit of extreme pleasure have become attractive to people. Now, wealth and fame derived from participation in vices (such as corruption, gambling and drug-trafficking) are being celebrated, even among some so-called Christians. Some attributes that used to be highly valued in society such as integrity, diligence, moral principle and godliness, have become things of the past and are now looked down on. The younger generation seems to have a warped idea of what success really means. Consequently, predators are using the weapon of deception to entice vulnerable individuals into evil deeds, such as sexual gratification in exchange for favours, drug-related business, human trafficking, organized crime, internet fraud, and many others, promising quick money, political appointments, business opportunities, rapid job promotions etc. Is anyone promising you something in exchange for “nothing”? Ensure that you do not fall for any deceptive proposal of the devil. The rich and powerful do not give away their favours for free. They always ask for something in return, and their demand is usually much greater that their initial investment. If care is not taken, you may lose your own soul in the process. Don’t be carried away by any “delicious” offer, because it is really nothing but deceitful food laden with poison. You’ve been warned!

Prayer Point:
Father, please keep me from ever falling for the tricks of the devil or becoming a victim of fraudsters.

HYMN 7: OH JESUS I HAVE PROMISED

Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 6:23am On Aug 13, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Sunday 13th August, 2017.
CAPTIVES OF THE MIGHTY.

Memorise
If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. John 8:36.

Read:  John 5:1-9.
5:1 After this there was a feast of the Jews; and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
5:2 Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches.
5:3 In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water.
5:4 For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.
5:5 And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years.
5:6 When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole?
5:7 The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me.
5:8 Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.
5:9 And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath.

The reason why many people are so helpless in life today is because they are in captivity. Many are in bondage of sin, sickness, poverty, addiction, demonic posseession and other evil conditions. The resultant effects of captivity include loss of freedom, psychological imbalance, emotional trauma, loss of contact with loved ones, hopelessness and dejection. A captive is a person with lost identity. Such a person may have been royalty before being captured by the enemy, but he or she has become a slave and must now live at the mercy of his or her new owner. A captive loses dignity and suffers from low self-esteem and emotional trauma from thinking about the situation that led to his or her captivity. A captive is in a worse situation than an ordinary prisoner because a prisoner’s jail term is fixed, but a captive has no hope of being set free. Above all, the situation of a captive is hopelessly filled with regret. The big question is, can a captive find true freedom? The Holy Spirit answers this question in Isaiah 49:24-25:

“Shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the lawful captive delivered? But thus saith the Lord, Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered: for I will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children.”

Hallelujah! A captive can indeed be set free. Jesus in Luke 4:18 declared that He came to set the captives free:
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,”

I bring you good news today: no matter how difficult your experience in captivity has been, and no matter how heavy the chain of affliction is, JESUS is here to set you free! Jesus Christ is the promised Messiah, Redeemer and Deliverer, sent to set everyone who will accept Him as the Lord and Saviour of their lives free from the bondage of Satan, the world and the flesh. What is your problem? Are you operating under the powerful grip of a secret sin, sexual immorality, secret society, a blood covenant or any form of addiction? Jesus, in John 8:36, has these words for you:

“If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.”     

Jesus came to set the captive free; call on His Name for your deliverance now!

Prayer Point:
Lord Jesus, please manifest your power to set me free from every form of captivity I am experiencing today.

HYMN 4: THROUGH THE LOVE OF GOD OUR SAVIOUR.
1. Through the love of God, our Saviour,
All will be well;
Free and changeless is His favour,
All will be well;
Precious is the blood that healed us,
Perfect is the grace that sealed us,
Strong the hand stretched out to shield us,
All will be well.

2. Though we pass through tribulation,
All will be well;
Ours is such a full salvation,
All will be well.
Happy when in God confiding,
Fruitful if in Christ abiding,
Holy through the Spirit's guiding,
All will be well.

3. We expect a bright tomorrow;
All will be well;
Faith can sing through days of sorrow,
All will be well;
On our Father's love relying,
Jesus every need supplying
In our living, in our dying,
All will be well.
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 8:05am On Aug 14, 2017

DATE: MONDAY AUGUST 14TH 2017

THEME: THERE SHALL BE NO BARRIER

Memorise:

There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Joshua 1:5

Read: Zechariah 4:6-9

4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the Lord unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the Lord of hosts.

4:7 Who art thou, O great mountain? before Zerubbabel thou shalt become a plain: and he shall bring forth the headstone thereof with shoutings, crying, Grace, grace unto it.

4:8 Moreover the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,

4:9 The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house; his hands shall also finish it; and thou shalt know that the Lord of hosts hath sent me unto you.

The Lord spoke the words of today’s memory verse to Joshua at a very crucial time in his life. Moses, the man of God, had just departed and handed over the baton of spiritual and political leadership of Israel to him. Obviously, this was a very scary thing for Joshua. Having been the servant of Moses, he knew the severity of the spiritual assignment ahead. He also had firsthand experience of the several episode of political intrigue and multiple rebellions against his master. Joshua least expected the leadership mantle to fall on him, since there were (at least) seventy elders ahead of him, most of whom he esteemed to be better suited as political leaders compared to himself. There was also the family of priests, members of which he reckoned to be more experienced for the spiritual leadership of Israel. Nevertheless, although age, experience and maturity may not have favoured him, it still pleased the Lord to appoint him as a replacement for Moses; and knowing Joshua’s fearful state of mind, He therefore spoke those words of assurance to encourage and embolden him in his new assignment. I pray for you today, you will receive divine support and assurance that will propel you to success in Jesus’ Name.

Today, God is telling you that there shall be no barrier to your promotion, success and breakthrough, God has the power to make such declaration about you because He is the Creator of the heavens and the earth, and He is the Author and Finisher of your faith. All powers in heaven and on earth belong to Him, and His word is Yea and Amen. Numbers 23:19 says this about Him:
“God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?”

We have assurance in the word of God that God is able to bring whatever he says to reality. I therefore, encourage you to rely on his promise to you, knowing well that He is the Creator of all things - whether visible or invisible, all things were created by Him and for Him (Colossians 1:16). Furthermore, you also have reason to believe strongly that there shall be no barrier to the fulfillment of your destiny because of His mighty acts both in history and even now. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the Holy One of Israel, who delivered the Israelites from 430 years of captivity. He parted the Red Sea and provided manna in the wilderness. He is the Father of Our Lord Jesus Christ, our Saviour and Redeemer, who heals, delivers and raises the dead. May His Name be praised forever.

Prayer Point:

Father, please speak a word of support and assurance into my life today that will send jitters down the spine of my enemies and detractors in Jesus’ Name.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:

2 Kings 12-13
Ezekiel 24:1-14

HYMN 1: MY FAITH LOOKS UP TO THEE

Thou Lamb of Calvary,
Savior divine!
Take all my guilt away,
Oh, let me from this day
Be wholly Thine!

My zeal inspire!
Oh, may my love to Thee
A living fire!

Be Thou my guide;
Nor let me ever stray
From Thee aside.

Be near to me.
Oh, bear me safe above,
Redeemed and free!
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 6:44am On Aug 15, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Tuesday 15th August, 2017.
*HAVE FAITH IN GOD*.

*Memorise:*
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
Hebrew 11:6.

*Read:* Mark 11:21-24.
11:21 And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.
11:22 And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.
11:23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.
11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

Faith is a sense of reliance and trust in the Almighty God. It is a guiding belief and also a committed sense of loyalty. Faith is a central emphasis of Christianity, and for this reason, Christians are commonly called “believers”. A commitment to Christianity typically involves confession of faith. The centrality of faith in Christianity reflects the significance given to it in the Bible. The Bible teaches faith towards God, and also the doctrine of justification by faith (Romans 5:1).

Moreover, faith includes belief in the written word of God and also belief in the trustworthiness of God’s ability to keep His promise of reward to his followers (John 14:1-3). The Bible records that the fathers of faith like Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and others, pleased God through the exhibition of their faith. The Bible also makes it clear that it is impossible to please God without faith (Hebrew 11:6).

The Christian faith embraces the belief that God was made manifest in the flesh, in the person of Jesus Christ. We believe that He lived to manifest the nature and character of God, and that He died so that we, who were dead in our sins, might receive forgiveness through His Blood that was shed for the atonement of our sins. We believe that the crucifixion of our sinful nature on the Cross through His Body has empowered us to live above sin in this world. We believe that He resurrected so that we can receive a new life in God that is fashioned in the image of his resurrected nature.

We believe that anyone can be a partaker of this divine nature when he or she believes in his or her heart all that Jesus Christ has done, confesses his or her sin to God and accepts the Lordship of Jesus Christ over his or her life through confession and action.

Our memory verse teaches some spiritual truths that touch the spiritual life of every Christian. This passage emphasizes the method of pleasing God, the necessity of believing in His existence, and the certainty that He answers prayers. We can only please God by walking with Him in faith. We must trust Him completely and rely on Him totally as our Father and closest Friend. We manifest our trust in God when we pray to him.

The existence of God is settled in the mind of anyone who is a true Christian. Therefore, we must constantly and earnestly present our request and supplication to Him in prayers, with full confidence and assurance that He answers the prayers of His children.

*Prayer Point:*
Father, please increase my faith, and help me to be completely dependent on You in all I do.

*BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:*
2 Kings 14-15
Ezekiel 24:15-25:7

*HYMN 1: MY FAITH LOOKS UP TO THEE*.
Thou Lamb of Calvary,
Savior divine!
Take all my guilt away,
Oh, let me from this day
Be wholly Thine!

My zeal inspire!
Oh, may my love to Thee
A living fire!

Be Thou my guide;
Nor let me ever stray
From Thee aside.

Be near to me.
Oh, bear me safe above,
Redeemed and free!
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 5:52am On Aug 16, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Wednesday 16th August, 2017.
THE KING OF KINGS.

Memorise
And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF kings, AND LORD OF lords.
- Revelation 19:16.

Read: Daniel 4:34-37.
4:34 And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation:
4:35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?
4:36 At the same time my reason returned unto me; and for the glory of my kingdom, mine honour and brightness returned unto me; and my counsellors and my lords sought unto me; and I was established in my kingdom, and excellent majesty was added unto me.
4:37 Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase.

In the New Testament, there are three instances where the title “Kings of kings” was used. In each of these three instances, it was used along with the title “Lord of lords”. Obviously, the two titles are linked, but they also have their marked differences. The underlying thought of kingship is the exercise of authority, while that of lordship is the exercise of power. A military junta may have the power to overthrow the government of a nation but it lacks the authority to do so, thereby making it an illegitimate government. On the other hand, a policeman can simply use his upraised hand to stop a heavy truck. He is able to achieve this by the authority vested in him, which is well recognized by the truck driver. Similarly, kingship, authority and submission always go together. Any edict issued by a king must be expressly obeyed. Refusal to comply is interpreted as civil disobedience, anarchy or rebellion. It is important to note here that from eternity past, Jesus has continuously reigned in majestic splendour as the only Potentate, the King of glory and the Lord of all (1Timothy6:15).

When Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea, angels celebrated and worshipped Him as King (Hebrew 1:6, Luke 2:10-14). He grew up, lived among the people and went about doing good: healing the sick, delivering those oppressed by the devil, and spreading the good news of the kingdom. Yet, at His triumphant entry into Jerusalem, only those who believed in Him cried, Hosanna, blessed is the King that comes in the Name of the Lord” (John 12:12-13). A day also came that Jesus was presented to His own people by Pontius Pilate saying, “Behold your King!” The people however responded with great roar, “Away with him, crucify him.” He was therefore crucified with a crown of thorns on His head (John 19). Thereafter, He died, rose from the dead and was received into Heaven. Very soon, He is coming back again. This time, He is not coming with a crown of thorns on His head but with many glorious crowns, and He will rule the nations of the earth with a rod of iron in His hands. He is returning in power and glory to establish His Kingdom on earth, covered with glory and accompanied by the hosts of Heaven’s armies. His title shall be boldly written upon His clothing and on His thigh: “KING OF kings AND LORD OF lords”. While we are waiting for the appearance of the soon-coming King, let us totally submit to His authority and acknowledge His Lordship over our lives. We must worship His majesty and offer Him the sacrifice of praise. Let us bow down before the throne of the everlasting King in total adoration of His royal majesty. All hail the King of glory. Hallelujah!

Action Point:
Worship God as the King of kings, and live your life in submission to Him.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
2 Kings 16-17
Ezekiel 25:8-26:6

Refrain:
Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
Then sings my soul, My savior God, to Thee,
Refrain

And hear the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.
Refrain

Refrain

And then proclaim: "My God, how great Thou art!"
Refrain
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 6:01am On Aug 17, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Thursday 17th August, 2017.
EVERLASTING FATHER.

Memorise
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
- Revelation 1:8.

READ: Isaiah 9:6-7.
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
2 Kings 18, Ezekiel 26:7-18.

A father is the male personality among the two parents from whom children originate. Parents are uniquely linked to their children by blood, and they are the source of the fundamental and distinctive characteristics of their children. This special connection is responsible for the usual display of filial affection between parents and their children. There is a kind of deep love, compassion, dedication, trust, respect, devotion and loyalty that usually exist in the relationship between parents and their children that may not exist in other forms of relationships. Furthermore, good fathers are known to provide leadership, protection, provision, discipline, spiritual guidance, and emotional stability for members of their family. Obviously, mothers are equally important and their role as parents and leaders in the family cannot be overemphasized. However, under normal circumstances, the balance of a family is usually maintained by its organization around a father-figure. This is why homes without a father tend to become dysfunctional families. I therefore pray that God will restore all broken homes, support all single parents, and rebuke death in our families in the Name of Jesus.

Meanwhile, there is a Father of fathers that can do far more that any earthly father. He is the ever present one who can never die. He is called the Everlasting Father in Isaiah 9:6. Through this Name, the Holy spirit is indicating to us that all those who trust in God and yield to the Lordship of Jesus Christ will never be without a Father. Because Jesus is the Everlasting Father, true Christians can enjoy all the benefits of divine fatherhood unhindered for eternity. When the storms of life rage or when you are overwhelmed by difficult circumstances, you can safely trust in the love and support of the Everlasting Father. When poverty, failure, sickness or death stares you in the face, just call upon the Everlasting Father and your night will be turned to day. If you are out of tune with your Creator, if you are perpetually living under the influence of any power that is beyond your control, if your life is upside down and you are desperately looking for a way out, then I have good news for you. Jesus is the Everlasting Father with compassion for His children. He pities His children and shelters them with His love (Psalm 103:13). His mercy endures forever and you can anticipate His forgiveness with joy. Above all, these benefits are yours to enjoy for eternity, if only you surrender your life to Him. I decree to every troubled soul that is reading this devotional, receive the intervention of the Everlasting Father now in the Name of Jesus.

Action Point:
Pray that the Everlasting Father will heal every broken home and dysfunction in your family and local church.

Refrain:
Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
Then sings my soul, My savior God, to Thee,
Refrain

And hear the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.
Refrain

Refrain

And then proclaim: "My God, how great Thou art!
Refrain
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 5:16am On Aug 18, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Friday 18th August, 2017.
THE CROWN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Memorise
And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth away.
- 1 Peter 5:4.

Read: 2 Timothy 4:7-8.
4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

In several passages of Scripture, the Christian life is compared to being engaged in a sporting activity, particularly the analogy of running a race. In other to finish strong like Apostle Paul did, we need to pay close attention to these analogies and apply their lessons to our Christian life. 1 Corinthians 9:24-26 makes it clear that everyone that participates in a race does so for the purpose of winning. It also says that winning requires serious training and perseverance. Furthermore, this passage states that, of the many participants in the race, only one person emerges as winner. 2 Timothy 2:5 reveals that you must play according to the rules and regulations of the game to be declared the winner. From Hebrew 14:1-3, we understand that we must have our minds set on the reward in order to endure the rigours and pains of training. 2 Timothy 2:4 says athletes must observe a disciplined, controlled, and regimented lifestyle like soldiers while preparing for a competition. You need to measure your Christian life by these analogies to know how well you are faring in the race of Heaven. You should not be satisfied with just being a Christian who enjoys the support and encouragement of the spectators only; your ultimate goal should be to make it to Heaven and receive the crown of righteousness. You should be prepared for rigorous training in the word of God, and persevere through the process of sanctification. Like the eagle, you should take the flight towards heaven as a personal endeavour and ignore the multitude. You must strictly obey every detail in the word of God without reservation. Your mind must be fixed on the crown of righteousness and the glory that awaits the saints in Heaven, so that you can finish your course in this world with joy. Furthermore, you must submit yourself to the discipline, control and regimented lifestyle described in the word of God and as directed from time to time by your divinely appointed coach: the Holy Spirit.

The crown of righteousness is something of value promised to every Christian that would serve God faithfully in this world and endure the persecution and tests of faith that comes with following Jesus Christ. This crown is meant for those who would joyfully accept discipline and training in righteousness, those who will remain obedient to the word of God regardless of the dictates of popular culture, and soul winners determined to sacrifice everything in order to make Heaven. I hereby pray for everyone who is earnestly looking forward to eternal life, that you will not lose your crown in Jesus’ Name.

Prayer Point:
Father, please help me to pay the price of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus, and help me make it to Heaven in Jesus’ Name.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
2 Kings 19-20
Ezekiel 26:19-27:9.

HYMN 14: TAKE MY LIFE.

Every power as Thou shalt choose.

6. Take my love, my Lord; I pour
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 5:41am On Aug 19, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Saturday 19th August, 2017.
VICTORY THROUGH THE BLOOD OF JESUS.

Memorise
And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
- Revelation 12:11.

Read: Exodus 12:21-23.
12:21 Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel, and said unto them, Draw out and take you a lamb according to your families, and kill the passover.
12:22 And ye shall take a bunch of hyssop, and dip it in the blood that is in the bason, and strike the lintel and the two side posts with the blood that is in the bason; and none of you shall go out at the door of his house until the morning.
12:23 For the Lord will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when he seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the Lord will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you.

For various reasons, the battle of life has proved to be of tremendous difficulty to mankind in every generation. First and foremost, the enemy is often difficult to identify correctly, coming in different forms and sizes. Sometimes, the enemy comes in the form of human opposition, criticism and antagonism, and other times, in the form of physical challenges and obstacles. The enemy also comes as natural occurrences which one would expect to naturally fade away with time, but down the line, such occurrences metamorphose into serious problems. The battles of life can come to us through a human agent in the most subtle but wicked manner and it can take the form of a dramatic open challenge. At the onset of every battle of life, its spiritual dimension is not usually obvious. However, the Bible teaches that there is a spiritual dimension to every battle. Ephesians 6:12 says,

“For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”

As a child of God, although the enemy of our soul may look intimidating, don’t be frightened by his visage or his history of destruction. Instead, focus on the truth of God’s word that reveals him as a conquered foe (Hebrew 2:14, Luke 10:18-19). This is the high standpoint of the Christian faith. This is the only ground on which a child of God should meet the devil and his agents. We are overcomers! The element and resources of our victory clearly supersede the resources of our wicked foes. The element of our victory is the blood of Jesus, and the weapon of our warfare is the word of God. The battle cry in our conflict with the devil should always be the words of today’s memory verse. You must continuously resist the devil with the words of this scripture and believe its declaration in your heart. You cannot confront the devil and his agents with human wisdom, scientific inventions, philosophy, or ethical principles; rather, confront them with the blood of Jesus Christ, which signifies the seal of our victory in the Lord. Always remember that the battle is not ours but the Lord’s. At the beginning of this conflict with the devil in the Garden of Eden, it was prophesied that the seed of the woman will bruise the head of the serpent. Jesus is the seed of the woman! Christians must enter the battle of life with the confidence that the Lord is fighting for us, and that we are simply following His banner and claiming victory in His Name. Let us praise and worship the Almighty God who has granted us victory through the Blood of Jesus.

Prayer Point:
Father, please completely destroy the works of the devil in my life and in Your Church in the Name of Jesus.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
2 Kings 21-22
Ezekiel 27:10-25.

HYMN 2: WHAT A FRIEND WE HAVE IN JESUS.
1. What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry

2. Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged—
Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;

3. Are we weak and heavy-laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge—
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there.
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by Howoheye: 5:56am On Aug 20, 2017
Open Heavens Devotional.
Sunday 20th August, 2017.
THE GREAT VIRTUE.

Memorise
And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
1 Corinthians 13:13.

Read: 1 Corinthians 13:1-3.
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

“The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.” Jeremiah 31:3.

Love is a decision of commitment that is expressed as a strong feeling of affection and attraction. Based on God’s nature and actions, the Scripture gives us insight into the source, character and value of love. The Bible teaches that God is the source of love and that His very character is love. If you have ever been deeply in love with someone to the point of obsession, you will discover that you may lose your appetite and forget to eat because of that person (Song of Solomon 5:2-cool. Your mind will become occupied with nothing else but that person. The object of your love is the last thing you think of when you go to bed and the first thing you think of when you wake up. Love involves the totality of a person’s thoughts, feelings and actions. Love is a central theme of the Christian faith and is a primary characteristic of God’s nature.

“Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment."
Matthew 22:37-38.

The first object of our love should be God. We are enjoined to love God with all our heart, soul and mind. Indeed, you need to understand the love of God for you before you can appreciate what true love is. Having received the love of God, God expects you to reciprocate His love by worshiping Him in truth and by showing His love to others. The love of God was manifested on the cross of Calvary. Jesus, with these words, revealed the extent of God’s love for us in John 3:16:

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Out of love, God gave His only begotten Son as the ultimate sacrifice for the salvation of humanity. He then commanded every one of us that has received His love to reciprocate it by loving one another (1 John 4:7-cool. The Bible makes it very clear that the proof of love is its expression through actions, especially actions that are taken in the interest of others. Children of God should never be identified with envy, hatred, pride, selfishness, or any form of wickedness. These vices are contrary to God’s nature in us. As Christians, we must always radiate the love of God with meekness, kindness, patience, peace and joy.

Prayer Point:
Father, please fill my heart with Your love, so that Your love may flow through me to others.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
2 Kings 23, Ezekiel 27:26-28:10.

HYMN 18: ONWARD CHRISTIAN SOLDIER.
1. Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe;
Forward into battle see His banners go!

Refrain:
Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,

2. At the sign of triumph Satan’s host doth flee;
On then, Christian soldiers, on to victory!
Hell’s foundations quiver at the shout of praise;
Brothers, lift your voices, loud your anthems raise.
Refrain:

3. Like a mighty army moves the church of God;
Brothers, we are treading where the saints have trod.
We are not divided, all one body we,
One in hope and doctrine, one in charity.
Refrain:

4. Onward then, ye people, join our happy throng,
Blend with ours your voices in the triumph song.
Glory, laud, and honor unto Christ the King,
This through countless ages men and angels sing.
Refrain:
Re: Open Heavens Devotional 2017 by zlent16(m): 6:59am On Aug 20, 2017
Read the open heavens devotion here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Will Happen To Those Who Died Without Hearing The Gospel Of Jesus? / Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? / Why Do Many People Fear Death?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 368
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.